(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi cookiepie, you method works, similar to trial and error. The 1st method i've proposed is applicable to various types of qn from money to leggies.
happy.gif
But i find the steps abit confusing during the 4-2 = part. kids including my ds, tends to miss out this step.

sometimes if the qty of animals is not so huge, kids tends to understand easier via the visual method, eg the circles and stick method.

hi cookiepie,

try tis method
total animal = 12
birds - 2 legs, rabbits - 4 legs
rabbit has 36 more legs than all birds, so it 36/4 - 9 rabbits

so u start with 9 rabbits and 3 birds
take that to check if the rabbit has 36 more legs than bird

9x4 = 36, 3x3 = 9, 36-9 = 27, rabbit only has 27 more legs than birds, so not correct.

add 1 more count to rabbit, it becomes
10x4 = 40, 2x2 = 4 , 40-4 = 36!

so u meet both condition, which is 12 animals, and rabbit has 36 legs more than birds..
BINGO..

so ans is 10 rabbits and 2 birds =)

Hi mummies,

Exams start today! English today, then Math and then MT on Friday, followed by Science next Tuesday. Unfortunately, my dd is having a sore throat, so hope she won't be tired out.

bebe75: Hope your girl's sore throat is better too.

Chicken Little, wow, you are going to USS this Saturday? Just before exams? Bravo! Actually, it is a good move, as there will not be many people!

For this exams, I am also playing it cool. Did some exam papers and that's it. I think consistent revision is more important, so keeping my fingers crossed!

*Maybe all our steam is running out!* Haha.

Good luck to everyone!

my gal's sch was a nomination centre n will b used for polling day hence no sch dis fri. due to no sch for these 2 days, her exams were postponed ... main papers will only start next week ... sigh ...

chicken little,
USS will b a very good form of relaxation for u n yr kids. experts say parents must create an enjoyable environment for de kids durin exam times ... i've been trying not to scream at my gal these few days but dun know how long i can last ... even if i make it, may explode big time after de exams
happy.gif

JH, Linette

My girl still does not know she is going USS. And I am not going to scream at her for this exam. Though it is 30% I actually going to risk it and let her score badly. Really want her to wake up her idea that she has to take charge on her own. P3 and I am not going to lead her by the nose.

Only after today and tomorrow night preparation on papers, I will update her on Sat am, she is going USS and we are staying a night at Hard Rock hotel. 8 - 9 May will be running final lap

hi, my kids' sch also being used as polling center, but they still need to go to sch on Friday, except the afternoon session kids need to go for morning that day.

my ds' exam starts next Tue but I don't seem to be able to revise anything with him. OMG! so worrying now. As for my dd, her sch had implemented RUbrics prog for her level, thus her class assignments will be counted in her total results. Lately hear that she is also having orals and topical tests, and assignments but I will never know when is the actual date she needs to sit for them. Unlike my ds who has a dated schedule for all his exams.

Hi chicken little, i have the same thinking as you but i had taken the risk for his CA, and had seen that he did really badly, makes me worry if he does the same to this SA1....

jh, natellechim,
My gal's school also use as polling centre, so no school for her tomorrow too. She's elated!!

CL,
My decision earlier this yr is to let my gal take charge of her own from p3. Who knows she behaves like a horse let loose and performs badly in class. I received HOUR long phone calls from her teachers, kindly "reminding" me to monitor her work more closely. So this SA1 I need to rein in the wild horse again, sigh........... Wonder when I can really let go.....

Thanks Linette - my gal's sore throat is better liao..luckily her oral exam was last week

My gal SA1 is 50% cos no CA...a bit worried, esp her English. Her last 2 mock papers was badly done..only 54-58 marks. She shd be taking her English paper right now..I hope she checked her tenses, spelling and punctuation for her Compre section.

My gals' sch is also the polling centre..hence there will be early dismissal tomorrow at 1230pm.

Tomorrow is her Science paper..another dreadful subject..I hv yet to go thru with her the last topic - life cycle. Will do so in the afternoon after she has returned from sch.

Maths and Chinese will be next Thurs and Fri - hv not done much revision on Chinese and Maths - gotta make use of the long weekend to do it. This weekend is Mother's Day..not going to celebrate.

I abit lost with science too. the text is so brief yet i see past year exam papers OMG so many questions out of context. So what do we have to do for science ???

Ya ya bebe, my girl's only covering diversity excluding materials.

natellehcim,
Life cycle is s separate topic. My boy is only ding diversity for this SA1. I always feel that bebe75's dd school standard quite high, so bebe75, your girl's 'poor' result may actually be average if she is outside in the neighbourhood school. don't fret. most importantly is learning attitude.

My boy dismissal for tomorrow is half hour earlier. Don't think their school is used as polling station.

My boy should have finished his English by now and having recess. Few days ago, went through his tingxie words for the whole sem 1 and he already forgotten how to write most of the words he learnt in term 1!!

Hi Mummies,

My son's exam starts next tues. Have been asking him to do the assessment books I have bought. He still does not have the sense of urgency
sad.gif

Like Bebe75, we will not be celebrating too cos there is still a lot of preparation work to be done for his upcoming examinations.

Cookiepie: I also wonder when I can let go

Natellehim
Life cycle is under Cycles. For diversity, they are doing all topics except matter.

CL - I agree with you..the science text book is practically @#$@#%. Maybe it is good for enticing interest, but if i were to solely reply on the textbooks for exam, my gal will flunk. I make out my own notes, using text book, assessment books, guidebook as references. I think my gal has no pbm with MCQ (60%)..it is the short answers type (40%) that is killing..

FZ - I think for English, her sch std is above average..but for the rest of the subjects, I think it shd be average bah. I check out the sch PSLE records, they did quite well for English (>50% has A and A*)...but for the rest of the subjects...errr...not too good leh.

Avril - I think boys tend to mature later..very hard to let go leh..gals are more sensible, easier to discipline them. My #1 gal is weak, but she tries..so in a way, I hv to remind myself not to push her too hard. My #2 gal is smart, but easily complacent, she will try only if we challenge her. Different kids have different strokes bah..

Avril and Bebe,
I agree with Bebe. I 'give up' on teaching my boy cos end up he gets angry with me and I throw the book on his face. Spoil our relationship. His simply Bo chap attitude piss me off. Although my gal is less smart but at least she sits still. My son will fidget and play with pencils. I kena complaints from his teacher every term. So now I outsource all subjects for him except maths as he is good in maths so easier to teach.

Last year SA1 I let go, and the results were like band 2 borderline to band 3. Seems like they still didn't learn their lessons. Won't be celebrating mother's day as hubby is going UK this Sunday for whole of next week - the week of exam!! Vvv stress because he usually helps to revise with them. Now all the burden on me. Sigh....

I think I'm the last to relax. My dd last paper is science on 16 may.

hi maisy, yes, been talking alot w colleagues... haahah.. guess they think me siao liao.... went to a rally on the 1st day, been wanting to go few more but exam period leh... today is the last day liao, still pondering to go or not. I will also stay up to watch the results.

Natellehchim/Maisy - I can also join you..my #2 will end her SA1 on 18 May...hope I got enough stamina to last thru then..

Maisy - this yr SA1..I am also struggling alone..cos HB super busy with work..when he saw her science worksheets..he was astonished..I told him Science quite tricky..cos the scope is generally wide and I worried that if I "over-teach" - I am wasting time, if "under-teach" I scare later exam questions, she cannot do. I tried to follow the syllabus closely as much as I can..

Polling day
I also intend to stay up and watch the results..my hubby not keen leh..he said how come I so kan cheong..ha ha..cos I told him, I tak boleh tahan the "white" for so long liao ha ha. And this yr, the other parties hv managed to come up with strong candidates..very interesting to watch.

all along i have been boh chap in such, bec all along such really affect me since young. but come to think of that, i get excited and concern now is for our next, and next next generations.

Bebe,
All along I am ok with whoever rule the country as long as they do their job well. But lately the rally brought on a new perspectives. The hammer and red team touch on issues like million dollar pay, health cost, income inequality. My key concern is hi cost of living. 4 rm now cost 450k in bedok, qt ridiculous. I am worried how my kids can afford a house next time. Michelle lee from red group touched on the demanding education system who stressed the kids and parents. Some of these issues brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I too emotional Liao. Sigh... Still hasn't decide who to vote for. Jialat...

Bebe,
I totally outsource science. Dd said her tutor is patient with her and she likes science now.

Hi mummies,

No school for my dd today as her school will be a polling centre tomorrow. She's so happy but I told her to look through the ultimate science guide .... what to do, exam starts next tue.

Science nowadays is more application than memory work. Though I took triple sciences in secondary school and jc, it still took me a while to answer some of the p3 science questions ....

I also intend to stay up on Sat nite....this election is definitely more exciting than the past elections.

cookiepie,
not only science. all subjects are much tougher. my boy should have finished his math paper now. yesterday cracked my head together with my husband on how to solve certain problem sum. knowing how to solve is one issue but teaching him is another because we only know algebra and not model.

fz,
Yah, all subjects are sources of headaches. Like the leggies question which I posted several days back, cannot use the supposition method to solve. Wonder how my dd is going to "memorise" and recall the appropriate method to apply. Sometimes can draw model but still cannot solve. For chinese, they just learn 1 word in the textbook but are expected to know the meaning of all associated words. Unless one reads widely, it is difficult to memorise all the meanings and apply it.

Congrats Jolene

Ha ha I am running last lap tonight and tomorrow morning she will do 1 paper for EL, CL and Maths while I go for polling.

Then off we go to USS and check in to Hard rock and stay up at night for election results.

Going to chuck English and Science at one side and start focusing on the remaining subjects - Maths and Chinese..

Yesterday, my gal came back and I asked her to complete her homework (still hving homework, sian) so that she can have the rest of the day free..

These few days, I will ask her to do her Maths n Chinese mock exam paper in the morning so that she can hv free time in the afternoon...prefer to revise with her in the morning when she is fresh and more co-operative.

CL - enjoy yr stay in USS..the pool at HR is lovely..yr kid will enjoy it.

CL
Enjoy your stay at Hard Rock and USS....

Bebe75
I am also getting my gal to do her maths, science and Chinese past year paper... I am nit so worried abt her eng, maths and science.. More worried on her chinese will sit down and do revision with her

Hi all mummies,
Busy with work these few days.

I have also not been teaching my boy. Only today, he just managed to finish the assessment paper (the topics that are going to be covered for examinations for mathematics and science).

I always like Andrew Er's Mathematics Challeging problem. It makes my son thinks while doing it.

He just finished the Diversity topics by i-science. I will ask him to finish the science paper by Janet sim.

He just had english and chinese paper 1 last week ad I think he did not do well.
Hopefully, he can manage the paper 2 next week.

All the best for all the students taking examinations .

Hi mummies
Counting down for the SA1 to finish soon... Stress!
Luckily my gal is very co-operative she manage to finish all SA1 past year paper ! All the best to our kids in their SA 1 exam......Jia you!

Wow Jolene!
Completing all SA1 paper is not an easy feat! We skipped the compre section and section B for science for the remaining papers that we can't finish.

Hi FZ

Her tutor had been giving her the SA1 paper for practice way before her SA1 and she is quite co-operative this time round...so managed to clear all her SA1 past year paper..

Jolene,
my boy will be having his MT tomorrow. as of just now, he still can't remember some of the words in the tingxie list and also cannot answer the compre questions satisfactorily. today's weather also so so hot, so my temper also hot ah! then just told him to do whatever he can and then i went to watch tv. :p science is on wednesday and then free!!!!

mummies,
any one of you tried Creative writing at community centre? i just found out that there is a ongoing class in the cc near my house. although they already started 4 lessons, we still need to pay the whole fees. $100 for 12 lessons, quite cheap la. class size is 12-25 but i found out that they currently only have 14 students. it is a combine p2 and p3 class. not sure how is the standard. wanted to sign up for Writer's Toolbox but classes are full. now on waiting list.

Fz,
Envy you... My kids only starting exam tis wed and will last till next mon. By this weekend I will surely let my hair down. Super stress Liao. Weather so hot that 3 of us could barely keep ourselves sane and cool. My ds complain he felt weak and hot then I quickly ask him stop doing work and just relax. Better stay healthy if not will be worse if he become down with fever.

Dd starting her SA1 with english paper today. Hopefully she performs ok in the exam, else I'm going to get another round of 'nagging' from her form teacher.

Just to share 1 incident: Have been coaching dd to solve 1 maths problem sum over the past few days. I explained, daddy explained -> dun understand. Bought maths guide book to show her --> still dun understand. I gave up...then she requested to play iphone for a while. I told her 'no way' unless she can solve that problem sum. Within 15mins, she straightened her "antenna" and came up with the solution ....lol, the power of iphone!

Maisy Daisy: My hubby oso away on biz trip this week. I have to rush home to revise with my son. His SA1 starts tomorrow and ends on Fri.

Have been giving him past year exam papers to do. Hopefully he can do well!

My gal brought back a maths surprise revision test that the teacher gave them last week. She scored 75/100. She has the cheek to tell me many students got less than 70%. I checked and found MANY careless mistakes. Lucky this is not real Sa1. Hope this is wake up call for her in the exam this week. Feeling really stress for the exams.

kids tend to tell you about those who score lesser than them but never tell you who are higher. My ds also... maybe this is kind of defense they have so as not to get scolded.... hahaha...

Jolene - same, Tomorrow will be mother tongue - the last paper

I did not probe my gal too much on the exam taken for the past few days..just wanna get this whole ordeal over and done with..

Next week, will focus on my #2 - another hurdle, hiaz...really looking forward to 19 May..so that I can free myself from stress

FZ - I hv not tried the writing class conducted in cc..I think it depends on the teacher. My #2 is keen to take up writing classes with mindstretcher..cos she likes writing and wants to write better. I hv yet to check out the avail classes but I know likely that I will be on waiting list.

Has anyone heard of Just education? Is their writing class good?

bebe75,
good that your girl shows initiative to want to attend lessons. my boy is hesitant to take up writing classes because it will mean that he will only have 1 day free. the other 3 days besides the writing class will be occupied by afternoon school activities and cca.

i have inquired with the Just education near my place. they don't have writing classes. you may want to check with yours.

my son took MT exam today. confirm one simple question he got wrong. it is MCQ and he chose the wrong one! that word even my kindergarten boy know.... 休息 the 休 he go and choose 体 . -__-" consolation is that he said the compre inference question is straight forward and can get answer from passage. hope no more careless mistake. tomorrow science! last paper!

Jolene,

I think 课文词语手册 is good for CL paper2. It is the short way to learn many related phrases without having to read many storybooks.

FZ - thanks..will go down to Just at Bishan soon to find out abt their courses. My #2 is motivated by challenge..cos her teacher will select those good pieces of writing and display them on the board weekly. Hers were chosen a few times..and now teacher mentioned that she will compile these writing as a booklet for the class by end of the year..Hearing that, my #2 now inspires to be author liao..kept writing and writing...

Today will be the last day of exam for #1...finally...gotta relax till the results come back next week..

Back