(2001) calling all 2001 babies

Hello everyone!
I didn't buy any Science assessment books but the school includes some revision books within the booklist. They're Perfect Match Science Home Practice. I'd have to check the publisher if anyone's interested. He hasn't done them or been told to bring them to school yet, though.

Adeline - yes, that kid is just one of the typical drones. Or rather, his mum is slowly turning him into one. My son's an average student and looks set to be one of those not majorly interested in school work. However, I'm happy if he tries his best, rather than take the easy way out.
Was telling you yesterday that I yelled at him for not bothering to find out meanings of words and simply saying "I think that's what it means". ARGH! I can't abide by laziness when you're not sure about something! I keep telling him that's the basis of learning - the desire to find out more, not because you HAVE TO for homework or exams' sake, but because you want to find out more. I'll die if he turns into a typical student who memorises for exams....

Anyway, sorry everyone: I just needed to vent because the other half seems oblivious to my frustrations about my son's laziness.

Jesslyn - perhaps you can look for joke books which involve more words and less pictures? Kinda like joke books for kids, with riddles and short jokes they need to read and later tell their friends. This may help encourage him to read, as he wants to re-tell the jokes or ask his friends the riddles. It may also help with presentation skills if he realises he likes to tell jokes and stories! Hope that helps!

Hi Adeline,

Thank you so much for your info.
happy.gif
Their teaching methods are quite similar to Kumon. When he was 5 years old, I sent him to Kumon centre for his Maths enrichment class but I withdrew him when he goes to P1.

Hi Jesslyn,

Hahah!! Same here, my boy likes to borrow books from library but he doesn't want to read them all unless I force him to read. I think my boy is lazy in reading especially story books. He likes to read short story with a few lines just like those books that I mentioned; dinosaur, planet and insects, sigh.... like this doesn't help him much in his vocab/grammar
sad.gif

Hi Ernz,

It's okay to vent your frustration here, I think majority boys behaviour are same kind. Sometimes he doesn't know the word meaning, he'll ask me and I told him to check dictionary and he replied me "Never mind, I think I know the meaning". Simply he's lazy to check! As what I told Jesslyn my son doesn't like to read story book simply he's lazy to do so. Hopefully they will change their attitude. Wow... that mother really very horrible leh! I really pity her son and I think her son must be very lonely in school and not many friends to play with. I'm a contented mom, I don't ask for much as long as he passes and gets 80% all his subjects and I'm very happy liao
happy.gif

Hello Fion

I guess my suggestion is for all the mums here whose kids don't seem to like to read. My son started reading fairly late and I was initially worried and confused as both the other half and I love reading.

I found that having books on topics they're interested in, really helps because they don't realise that they're actually reading for pleasure! I think when they don't realise they're being MADE to read, is when they begin to enjoy it.

I bought some Little Encyclopaedia books on countries, dinosaurs and the human body when he started reading and although he only looked at the pictures at first, he slowly started reading as he wanted to find out more. The book are very informative - the text is broken up into boxes, graphs, bullet points etc - and yet look 'manageable' to them.

Also, those Annuals which are usually sold at the end of the year have been helpful too. There are Annuals on soccer, Disney movies and these include games like 'find the word', unscrambling, crosswod puzzles, etc.

Hope this helps!

Fion, my ds's phonics is not that great, so I guess is half phonics and half memory that helps in English spellings.

Jessie, sure you can pmed me about kiasu parents. Haha. It's parents like them that makes me wonder if our child will stand any chance in the future.

hi hi ernz & adeline! wow, the thread is so alive now. my godson is in st stephen's too but only P1.

fion: M is taking higher chinese this yr? good luck! my kai has been booked for chinese remedial this yr. only jan & already kena summoned. & it clashes with all the CCA he wanted to join except angklung. in fact more than half the CCA r held at tt time-slot i.e. thur afternoon. somehow i feel the teacher is doing it delibarately. makes me quite mad, seems tt the school thinks kids who r weak in their studies shouldn't do CCA. really don't want to send my other 2 boys to this school in future.

jess: happy new year! u r so on, doing bread experiments already. btw, does anybody know whether science is examinable this year? it doesn't seem like.

JE: how big is the gap between your oldest & 2nd? my kai is 7 yrs older than my gerard. i find it difficult to cope w the big boy & little toddler. their interests r so different. each needs so much attention.

mummies, when u sit your kids especially boys down to study, do they keep running to the loo? i find my mum has to spend 2 hrs making my son study & do homework but he goes to the loo 5 times out of that 2 hours! whereas my husband can come home & spend slightly less than an hour w my son but get a lot done & the boy doesn't go to the loo at all. he says it's becos my mum is too boring & using the same method of teaching kai tt she used on her own students 20 yrs ago. haiz, any ideas? i really want to ease both the boy & grandmother out of this situation.

Hi Olwen,

Which school is your son (kai) in? St Stephen's remedial classes fall on the same day as CCA too (i.e. Tuesday). It is strange and I wonder why do they need to fall on the same day.

My son also goes to the toilet during his home tuition and homework. Whenever I can remember, I'll tell him to go to the toilet first and no more going till he finishes his homework/tuition. I try to limit his sit-down time to maximum 1hour at a go, so that he can have a break/rest time before continuing. You may want to ask your mom to try new ways to teach him too.

Hi Olwen,

Ya, he's taking Higher Chinese this yr but the exam format & components remain unchanged. Not to worry, sometimes remedial class is good for the child. Don't get mad, perhaps you may want to talk to his form teacher regarding his progress in studies and his CCA. As for M, his CCA activities usually fall on Friday but so far he hasn't select any, non of it he is interested in... sigh..
sad.gif

To All Mummies,

虎年祝大家心想事成,岁岁平安。
孩子们拿第一名!! 哈哈哈
happy.gif

fion, adeline, spanielpups, jess: happy new year. errrr... belated. the thread is v quiet, i guess mummies r busy preparing their kids for the common tests. i don't have high expectations for kai but i wonder whether he will even meet my v low expectations.

take care all.

Hi Olwen

Aiyo, my ds was sick and was unable to sit for his Eng and Math CAs on Mon and Tues. Today gg to sit for his Chinese and tmr last paper, Science.

Hey everyone! My son's school had their CA's two weeks ago, straight after CNY. I feel sorry for the kids who can't celebrate CNY properly - as many would be revising and parents would be worrying during the hols.

We went away during the long weekend and he had stacks and stacks of homework. Adeline, I think you remember this? Had to bring EVERYTHING with us and my son was NOT happy that he had to do a little bit of homework every day. I thought it would be better to chip away at it a few pages at a time.

Mums whose kids keep running to the loo or making excuses during homework and schoolwork: I recently spoke to a child psychologist who mentioned this 'habit' of children. She has several theories about why kids make up excuses when it's time to sit and do their work. Message me if you wanna find out more. Or I could just include it here the next time I write.

God, this post is now turning into an essay...sorry!

Hi Hi, happy belated CNY to all mummies...Was very busy with son's exam preparation, house renovation etc so didn't have had the time to chat on this thread..

Yah, Ernz, I couldn't agree with you more on the exams straight after CNY!! Most schools would have scheduled the exam in early March, don't they?

Now that the CAs is over, we got to prepare them for the upcoming SA
sad.gif
I just felt that we are rushing for time and time!

Hi all mummies, happy belated new year and happy advance march holidays. :)

Ernz, I can understand how your son felt... holiday-work; and our kids... CNY celebration-work!

Jesslyn, you are right. Even though the CA1 is over, I can't seem to let my son relax because SA1 is just end of next month!!! I really pity them. Poor kids :-(

Hi all mummies, looking forward to the coming March holidays? Any plan to bring your kids to anywhere?

Will be expecting lots of homeworks as agreed with Jesslyn and Adeline that cannot let our kids relax because after the holiday be SA1. Poor kids and poor mummies
sad.gif

Hi Jesslyn,
Yap, soon after the Mar holidays they will be busy preparing their SA1... feeling tired and stress...

Hi Jessie,
For me, no plan for Mar holidays and is too short. I think I'll make use of the holidays get him to prepare the next term exams topics, sound like i'm a bit Kiasu mom, hahah!!

Hi spanielpups,
oh dear, how is he now? Hope he's getting better now. Is he going to sit for the supplementary papers? For my son's sch, no supplementary papers for them.

Hi everyone, nice to meet you. I have 2 girls, Primary 3 and K2. Am thinking of switching from mixed to girls' school...
Anybody's daughters in girls' school here? How is your girl coping?

spanielpups: oh dear! poor chap. how did everything work out in the end?

fion: how's M doing with CL1? my kai is improving in his ting xie after i made the effort to teach him after work. but his CA1 results were atrocious.

jess: no hols for my kai in mar hols. i'm wondering where to bring him in june, if at all. i heard avillon in port dickson is v nice. but my husband refuses to consider bringing 3 toddlers there.

hi mom2001-04: i think babywuv's daughter is in a girl's school but she seems to have disappeared.

adeline, ernz: my god-son is in st stephen's too. sounds scary.

Hi Olwen,

My ds, sat for his only CA Chinese paper and then he back home with an eye infection. The next day paper was Science...so unable to sit for that too. Sigh. Form teacher said they will take more percentage out from SA1 to compensate for CA1. So he had better do well for SA1.

Anyone check out on 识字千句文. Seems quite interesting and can learn a lot of chinese word within a short period of time.

Using CD and word, combination with games too.
Anyone staying near choa chu kang? Just call the teacher whom can do the 识字千句文 and willing to do group tuition on this. I think is too bored to do individual tuition on this.

My gal is currently P1 and boy in P3. Thinking of letting both of them do home group tuition.

Pls email me at [email protected]

Hi Mommies,

Any mommies have kids taking P3 Science this year? Does the school have practical Science exam? Any idea what is practical science exam is? I m confused.

Hi Mummies,

The thread has been quiet. Guess everyone must be busy with coming SA. May I check with all mummies here, what kind of sch bag is your child using? I can't find a good sch bag for him and he needs to bring lots of books to sch everyday. As a result, the sch bag getting more heavier and worn out easily. Anyone has recommendations? TIA
happy.gif

Hi Olwen,

Good that Kai is improving his ting xie, don't give up and I'm believe he can do better in SA! M scored average in his CL1, mainly becos his ugly handwriting and he needs to put in more effort to improve. How's ur 3 little ones? Now should be able to crawl or walk...

Hi spanielpups,

My son's sch don't hv practical Science exam in his coming SA. What I'm thinking is perhpas the sch will give them some experiment to try out, it could be a bread or plant .... Your son's sch hv practical science exam this coming SA? Stress....

Hi Fion

Yes, got practical Science Exam in May, this one carries 10marks. I am stressed.

On school bags, I gave up buying those from Popular, doesn't last. My son is still carrying his ergronomical bag he bought in second semester of P1. Very lasting at $99. I think ergronomical bag is very lasting. Mine is Impact brand, bought from Marina Square.

Hi Olwen, Fion and Spanielpups,

How are all of you? This thread has been so quiet. I thought everyone so busy till no time to look at the thread
happy.gif

Spanielpups, any idea what kind of practical science exam is given? Any notes given out to them? Believe the teacher will go through with them nearer to exam date. Mine had science project in CA1. Given one month to finish the project. Stars are replace by marks. Total must score 5 stars. Parents can help in the project. Eg. mushroom spore print, bottle plant, different kind of fern, different kind of leaves, etc. Really stress me out of it. Lucky "my hard work" has given me full marks. If your practical is something like that, I maybe able to give you some help.

Fion, my boy P1 is using Popular bag. Still in good condition. P2 someone gave me a PSI bag. Compare to Popular bag I find it much heavier but my boy prefer PSI so I just let him carry it. Now I smart liao, ask him to keep those files (not going to be used at home) and some books (eg. music book, CME book, etc) inside his locker. In that case his bag is lighter and easier to carry. Pity him everyday has to carry the heavy bag and walk a distant to student care centre after school.

Hi Mummies,
May I check with you, are your kids taking part in ICAS exams (Eng/Maths/Science)?

Sch bag:
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Jessie: I never heard of PSI bag, heehee, does it come with a roller? I realised that a sch bag with a roller much heavier.

spanielpups: Not to worry abt his practical science exam, I think he should know what to do on that day. Wow... the ergonomical bag really very expensive but it's worth it for long lasting.

hi mummies!

spanielpups, so sorry to hear tt he had eye infection. all the best for his mid years then!

fion: my 3 r climbing & flying already
happy.gif
M already had his mid yr chinese? Kai is using the same bag as spanielpups' boy - ergonomic. not sure what brand but it was the same price.

surprisingly kai can score v well in some ting xie which he doesn't study much for & only 50 for those which my mum coaches him a lot in. i suspect the reason is related to my mum :p

jess1: u still putting him in student care? really admire u mummies who can cope w work & rushing to fetch from student care. i feel so tired everyday just working.

Hi Olwen,

I'm sorry that my statement mislead u. My CL1 is refer to CA1, heehee... M's sch has CA/SA round the yr, after CA there goes SA... very stressful...
sad.gif

His SA main papers start from next week and his SA chinese is fall on the 11/5. I'm so worry leh, this coming SA exams they hv chinese/eng comp, sigh... dunno he can do it, esp chinese. Hope he can meet my lowest expectations
sad.gif

How abt yours? Any confident this coming SA?
happy.gif

Hi Fion, I think is SPI. Those bags that they said can protect the spine. Cannot remember the exact name, old liao
sad.gif
It doesn't come with a roller.

Mine oral just finished last week. Not sure he did well or not. Ask him he said ok. Just keep my finger cross till I see the marks. Mine will start off with chinese/english compo on 17 May. No confident in his writing. His class this year very competitive. Teachers requirement also very high. Plus all the good ones are in the same class. Reading those compo that they write I almost fainted. So fantastic! Cannot beat!

Hi Olwen, I have to work and no one to look after him so have to put him in the student care centre. I think it's better to do so. At least I don't have to worry his homeworks are not done cos the centre will ensure that they finish all their homework given everyday. I just need to check his work and ensure that he did them correctly after we reached home. Furthermore, their school work is getting more and more difficult. Some of the questions I also don't know how to do (eg. Maths). At least the teacher there can teach him. Or else I won't know how to help him
sad.gif

Hi Jessie/Olwen/spanielpups & all mummies,

My boy finished his last paper today, phew! The whole week was really under stress
sad.gif
But now heehee... I'm feeling good and relax! ;) For him, he starts to play his games after his lunch
sad.gif

How's ur kid? Exams over or still left a few papers to go... no matter what, Jia you Jia you!
happy.gif

Hello Fion and all mommies,

My boy's last paper is tomorrow. Wonder how he is going to fair for SA1 coz he didn't put in effort for revision. Also, mommy not as "kancheong" as compared to P1 and P2. Sigh!

Hi Fion, spanielpups and all mummies,

My boy exam will only start next Monday. All the way till last week of the month. Envy all of you whose kids have finished their exam. I still have to strugggle for 2 weeks
sad.gif

Hi Jessie

Wow, 2 weeks! I think it is a torture for the kids and mommies. Can't they just do it one week and get it over and done with?

Anyway, hang in there Jessie and all the best to your boy boy.

Next week, exam result will be out..... I think I better lower my expectation to avoid disappointment.

hi jess! chin up. will be over v soon. at least urs has been studying diligently.

spanielpups, fion: kai did so badly! i have to go to school tomoro to c the actual results but it seems he failed at least 1 paper. i donno how he can still tell us so boldly. if i ever dared to fail any exam in primary school, my mum won't have allowed me back in the house.
sad.gif

Hi Olwen,

My ds also did quite badly this semester. I even lower my expectation...but his result is even lower than my expectation... Faint!!!! This cannot goes on, come P4....sure see red marks in report book.

Hi Jessie/Olwen/spanielpups & all mummies,

Last week I was so busy as my FIL passed away. Luckily exams over if not, can't imagine how to cope with it.

Jessie: Hang in there, left few more days to go and all the best to your boy boy
happy.gif

Olwen/spanielpups: My boy did improved as compare to previous semester but still got to strike hard to achieve better results. Well, to them is nothing and they are not sure what are the consequences behind if they fail their subjects, sigh... Yap, agreed with spanielpups, can't imagine what's happen if come to P4...
sad.gif

Hi Fion,
My deepest condelences to your FIL. Hope you are ok. Take care!

Hi Fion, Olwen, Spanielpups,
Thanks for the encouragement. Boy finally exam over liao. School holiday start today. Although results not back yet but teacher did tell them some of the marks that they scored. Boy not doing quite well. His best subject - Chinese only get band 2. Very disappointed with him
sad.gif
Thought he is quite strong in his chinese and don't need much coaching. Now have to put in effort to help him with his chinese also. Sigh..... The rest of the subjects marking are not completed yet. Will only know after school reopen. Cannot imagine how many marks he will score???

Sorry to gate crash here.

Any mummies here staying near hillview and your kid is with a student care nearby ? Need some advice and feedback about the centres.

Or any SAHM staying near hillview keen to take up after school care for my P2 girl ?

gosh fion: so sorry to hear tt! take care.

spanielpups: ur boy only potentially having red marks in the report book. mine already having red marks. luckily is computerised so only underlined otherwise it will be so embarassing in future! haiz. i have to spend some quality time w him these hols.

Jess: urs is already good in chinese. mine cannot even understand what he is reading in the story books & i only realised it now. i really don't understand how he made it thru the last 2.5 yrs. & he is taking CL1 too.

Hi Jessie/Olwen,

Thanks and I'm fine. Any plan for this Jun holidays? As for me, we can't go anywhere till 49 days over. Me too, he's not good in his mandarin although he did improved in SA1 but looking overrall result, he still consider below average
sad.gif
Don't be too upset, we hv to help them to work hard in their CA2... Jia you!! :p

fion: i also cracking my head how to make him jia you. i find kai's problem is not stupidity nor really laziness but he is basically not interested in competing. he's content to just pass & be at the bottom of the class. my mum suggested i send him for a motivational course like mindchamps. what do u all think?

Hi Olwen & Fion,

I am also trying hard to improve his comprehension. It's either he cannot catch the main point or answer incomplete. Explain to him sometimes he will argue back. Really not sure how to teach him
sad.gif

Not doing any planning for this June holiday due to work. Everyday just throw him in the student care centre. Lucky they provide tuition. At least he still learn something. Only weekend bring him out "gai gai"
happy.gif

jess, fion: at least jess ur boy is doing well & fion's M is doing average. mine is really @ the bottom of the class. i don't know how the other parents get them to do so well. & i think i really need a holiday myself, not been on one for 3 yrs already. i'm so tired.
sad.gif

Hi Olwen, Jessie.

Sigh, school going to re-open soon... seems like I'm not having enough... ;(

Jessie: Not to worry his comprehension, once they catch the main point they will know how to ans them well... perhaps, you tell him to highlight those key words which help him to find answer easily but ur boy's result not bad leh... still above average. My boy too, likes to argue and challenge ur explaination
sad.gif
I think boys are diff to discipline, its really need time and patience.

Olwen: Don't be too depress abt Kai's results. You still have long way to go till P6, sec and poly or JC leh... "Kan Kai" will make life easy and better. Maybe his brain hasn't "Kai Qiao" as some kids are slow in beginning. M is same as Kai's behaviour, even his tutor said M can score better if he's serious and put in effort.

Talking abt holidays, I understand how u feel and I'm same here really need a holiday for myself. Sigh, no holidays ever since I'm being a SAHM, I work 24/7, no pay raise, no holidays, no sick leave nor annual leave... worse than a working mom
sad.gif

Hi Mummies,

Wanted to buy these used text books for Primary2:

1. Shaping Math coursebook 2nd edition 2B

2. 小学华文二年级(下册) Chinese Language for Primary School 2B Text book

Pls email me at [email protected] if you have them.
Thanks

Hi Olwen & Fion,

My boy ganna chicken pox last week of school holiday. Thought have jap will not get but so "heng" got it from his friend. Me and hubby have to work and no one can look after him. So ask him to "guai guai" stay at home and watch tv. So for the past one week, I morning wake up prepare lunch for him, boil herbal tea, get his medicine ready then off to work. Work for half a day rush back in time for his tea break and prepare dinner. Aiyo, like "seow za bo"! Very tiring!

Fion: I have ask him to highlight the main point but his habit is copy some part without copying the whole part. So marks are being deducted for incomplete answer
sad.gif

Olwen: Can understand how you feel when boy did not do well. As what Fion said, maybe your boy haven't "kai qiao" yet. Be patient with him, trust him can do well.

Holidays! I also need one. See others fly here fly there but I'm still stay put in Singapore. Really need a break but no $$$$.

Boy last week received his SA1 results. Besides Maths can make me feel happy, the other subjects results all drop. Especially English
sad.gif
He told me very difficult. Hopefully he can do well in the coming CA2.

Hello Jessie, Fion , Olwen

Jess : Poor boy, got CP,but must ask doc why jab already still can get CP. Hmm...waste our money.
When my boy was 2 yrs old, I make appt with polyclinic for his CP jab. Come the day, he had a fever so i have to cancel appt and rebooked again. Come the 2nd appt, he fall sick again, so I have to make another appt. On the 3rd appt, guess what happen! He got Chicken Pox the day before his jab! Sigh!

Wow, I think your boy is the only school that get their SA1 resultsso late. Really this is the year (P3) to see drop in marks. But never thought marks can drop so drastically! I got a shock when I see the report card!

Fion : Are you all talking abt comprehension? Mine also stop at comma and that's it.. marks also deducted, what a waste.

Olwen : I am also waiting for my boy to "kai qiao" hope dun have to wait too long. So dun worry too much, I am sure there are many parents out there who are also "WAITING"....
happy.gif

fion, jess, spanielpups: my kai had the jab too & not caught it yet, touch wood.

thanks for the well wishes mummies, yes maybe he needs time to "kai qiao" but he is taking a DAMN long time! sigh. my greatest fear is not so much for him but if the other 3 c gor gor is so hopeless so they also think they can get away w it.

Hi Spanielpups, Fion, Olwen,

I only brought boy to GP. She told me they discovered there are lots of cases that after jab kids still caught CP. Therefore, it is still necessary to have a booster at age of 5-6 in order to avoid being caught with CP. I so long never visit the baby doctor liao so was not being update.

Spanielpups: I think its still good that they got it during their young age. At least easier to control them and their diet.

My boy had his SA1 exam very late this year. Immediately after exam was school holiday liao. So they only received their results after school reopen. Just received the report book. Surprised to see there is actually boy in his class who scored 100 for science. Amazing!

Olwen: Not every children the same. Their gor gor haven't 'kai qiao' doesn't mean the di di and mei mei also like that. They may be smarter than their gor gor. Who knows the gor gor don't want to lose them also work hard. Isn't it better?

Back