(2001) calling all 2001 babies

Hello Olwen, Fion & All mommies!

Hope all have a wonderful Christmas as well as the coming NEW YEAR!

Olwen, chalet in Sentosa is smaller than the one at Downtown East,furnishing rather old but is clean. Hmm, I would go again if they refurnished the rooms though.

Wish all the mommies all the best for 2010 and as Olwen said... "NEW CHALLENGES" ahead! Haha.

Hi Olwen, Spanielpups, Jessie and all mummies,

Very fast few more days they are going back to the school!! We have to get ready too, hahah!! :p

Olwen, don't worry too much, shouldn't be any problem for him next yr.

Happy New Year to all the mummies!!!
happy.gif
cheers!!

Hi Mummies,

How's everyone here? How's your kid first day of sch? My boy can't get use to it in the morning session but he's quite corporative when I wake him up from his sweet dream... :p Well, hope everyone is doing fine and kids are happy to back soon
happy.gif

Hi Hi,
Finally I have decided to enrol my boy to British Council Tampines & Hua Yi (Roxy Square) for creative english and chinese creative writing skills. With his CCA, compulsory supplementary classes for all levels in his school, and house practises, I hope he can cope
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

I'm new to this thread and hope you won't mind me asking if any of you here are SAHM living in Marine Parade.

I'm a SAHM of a P3 boy living in Marine Parade area. I hope to know more mummies living near here.

Hi Adeline,
I am staying in Bayshore area. Working part-time as a reporting analyst with a french credit insurance company. My job is very flexible and I can work from home so that I can better manage my boy's studies and yet make some income. Which school is ur son in?

Hi Jesslyn,

Thanks for your response. My son is studing in St Stephen's School. He is my only child and I have been a SAHM since he was 1 year old.

Which school is your son in?

Hi Jesslyn,

May I check with you, how much you paid for the British Council for creative english? Thanks
happy.gif

Hi Adeline,

Welcome to this thread!! :p

Hi Fion,

Thanks for welcoming.

I realised that you were the same person I corresponded with in "2001 - Looking for good Chinese enrichment class for P1 boy".
happy.gif

Hi Fion,
My son will only be starting BC creative english this Sat. The fees is $1150 for 20 lessons and each lesson is 1 hr 45 min. The term has already started for 2 lessons since 10th Jan, and there is no pro-rated fee, unless you start on the 5th lesson which falls on 13th Feb. I wanted my son to start as early as possible, thus he is going to start this coming Sat.

Hi Jesslyn,

Thanks for your info. Wow... that's very expensive and if I'm not wrong is it once a week? But if he shows improvement in his CAs results, I think is worth it!! Ya, better don't wait till 13th Feb and 2 lessons missed shouldn't be any problem for him to catch up.

Hihi Adeline,

Nice to meet you here. Yap, is the same person that u corresponded with, hahah so coincidentally!! Thanks for your concern, I managed to get a 1-1 higher Chinese tutor for him and I do hope to see some improvement in his coming CAs.... May I ask you, do they teach Maths in Kip McGrath? Are they the same as "Kumon"? Wow... Tien Hisa really popular, no vacancy for 2010!!

Hi Fion,
Yes, BC Creative English is held once a week. Wanted to start him at Hess but thought giving BC a try since there are good comments about the centre.

Hi Fion,

Yes, Kip McGrath also teaches Maths but I only send my son for English. I'm not sure if they are similar to Kumon. His Maths is still ok so don't need to send for enrichment.

For the additional subject, Science, I'm not sure how he will fair in it. Will see his CA result first before deciding whether to send him for Science class.

Anyone knows of a good Science class to recommend? (This is in preparation for the "if he needs it". I'm so KS..... hahaha)

Hello Adeline,
I'm new to this forum and coincidentally - my son is in P3 in St Stephen's too. He's also an only child, so we have another thing in common there! Which class is he in at the moment?

Hi Erniza,

Nice to know that we have 2 things in common. My son is in 3A. What about yours?

Did your son complain about being the only child? Mine did and it saddens me to see him being "lonely" even though he has very little time to play.

Are you a SAHM (stay-at-home mum) too?

Hi Olwen, Spanielpups, Fion, JE and all mummies,

Happy New Year! How's your kid coping in the new level? Mine have tonnes of homework. Especially Friday he will bring back lots of homework to do. Weekend all burnt up trying to complete everything. Stress.....

Welcome all new mummies!

Hi Jessie and all mommies

Happy New Year too!!

Jessie, I am not sure if it is because my DS has switched to afternoon school, he gets so lethargic after dinner and take a long time to finsihed up his school work. I have no chance to do any revision except for weekend. But then again, weekend got to learn Chinese and English spelling. The school came out with the weekly letter that P3 is gg to have CA1 on 1st week of March!...Lagi stressed! This is the first time that my DS is having CAs.... P1 and P2..no CAs.

Hi Jessie, spanielpups, Adeline and all mummies,

Happy to see all mummies back to this forum.

My son is in the morning session and so far he's okay, he sleeps at 9pm and wake up at 6:40am. So far not many homework given by the school but received list of dictation and spelling for this week to be tested. Now I'm more worry about his Science not sure whether he can cope with it??

May I check with all mummies here, is your kid studying Higher Chinese this year? I heard that there are some changes in their Chinese subject and this year, they are introducing Higher Chinese starting from P1 onwards.

Hi Jesslyn,

Yap, BC is a good tuition centre and the teachers there are all "Ang Mo" but hor... really very expensive if consider long term.
sad.gif

Hi spanielpups,

Wow... so fast his school has given a list of timetable for their CAs.... not to worry, this is his first year having CAs and I think CA1 weightage is 10% bah...

Hi Adeline,

Oh, they do have English subject too as I thought Kip McGrath only teaches Maths subject. They have a centre near my area, perhaps should consider it. How much are you paying?

Hey Adeline
my son's in 3A too, this is a freaky coincidence! What's your son's name, I'll ask mine if he knows yours when he gets home in abit. My son's Bradley.

I'm sort of a stay at home mum - I work freelance from home and am hoping to part time and find other work. We don't have a helper so it's hard for me to work out of the house, unless it's just in the mornings and on the days he stays late in school.

Which part of Singapore do you live in? I'm in Siglap - Opera Estate.

Welcome all new mummies!

Fion, my child is not in SAP school. So, she doesn't take Higher Chinese, just Chinese subject.

Adeline, I could understand how you feel. My DD1 used to be the only child until her little sister was born. I'm glad that she has a companion now though the age gap is wide.

Mummies,

Which books does your kid learn this year? Mine will be learning some of the topics from diversity, cycles, interactions and systems. I wonder how to do revisions by using those past years exam papers this year...

Thanks for the welcome JE!

You can print off past years' exam papers off websites, but my son's school has included some assessment books for Science in the booklist, I can check the titles if you'd like. He's in P3 and the signs are pointing to longer days in school and a lethargic child. Well, for me at least!

Hi Ernz,
What a coincident! I'll PM you my contact number so that we can talk more. :)

Hi JE,
Thanks. I'm hoping to find more mummies & kids living around my area (Marine Parade) so that my son can have more playmates.

Hi Fion,
Yes, Kip McGrath has English too. My son seems to enjoy the class as they also make use of computer for their lessons. So it is not so monotonous for the kids.

Hello Adeline

hope this works, I tried sending you a PM but it's bounced. If you could check and let me know, that'd be great. I don't know why I couldn't accept your PM, will check settings now.

Any 2001 mums living in the East?

Hi Ernz,
My son's in St Stephen too! He's in 3I. He was in the same class as Adeline's son when they were in P1 & P2. Was your son formerly from 1H & 2H as well?

I am currently staying in Siglap Walk with my in-laws as my new house in Bayshore will only be ready in April.

I am working part-time as a reporting analyst as well, with a french credit insurance company. Was formerly working full-time, but due to the increasing need to manage my son's studies, I chose to take on a more flexible and part-time job.

Hi Fion,
My son attended his BC class last Saturday. He enjoyed his class very much, and most of all, he likes his teacher. I saw him participating very actively during the brainstorming session, and I felt this is good in helping him buildup his confidence in speaking. Cost aside, most important he enjoyed the class
happy.gif

Hello Jesslyn,
Another coincidence to have the mum of a P3 St Stephen's boy on this forum! Mine's in 3A this year and was formerly in 1P and 2P, I was very pleased with his teacher in those two years but have yet to meet his new form teacher.

I'm living along Siglap too! My place is in the Opera Estate area. We could get the boys together (if they have any time at all!) someday.

I too made the decision to work from home due to lack of time with my son. Although sometimes, I wish I could 'escape' to work because he drives me mad! But seeing how much school work he's got and how he constantly needs supervision to complete them (and all the other chores and issues associated with school), I think there's no way he could be left in someone else's care.

Also, we've never had a helper and don't intend to hire one as we're a family of three. So I'm his surrogate sister and playmate, as well as maid and mum!

Good to meet you here, Jesslyn!

Hi Spanielpups, give your DS some time to adjust to the new timing. He could be tired after the class. I'm sure he will get use to it soon. Similarly, I also have no chance to do revision even on weekend as there are tuitions and lots of homework to complete. Not forgetting their Chinese and English spelling/dictation. Yours at least still have time to do revision before their CA1. Mine already got their 1st paper on Maths for CA1 last week. More papers will come one after another. Me more lagi stress than you!

Hi Fion, my boy's school only has morning session. I have been trying to get him to sleep latest by 9.30pm but sometimes he has so many homework to do that will drag him until past 10pm then sleep. So poor thing! Mine already have their spelling/dictation on the 2nd week of the month. So fast! Me too, kind of worry about his Science as his teacher is very strict and expect them to complete their work and hand in on time. But then instructions were not given in details. I have to help him to figure out and complete the task. Also must help him with some simple experiment(eg. bean spouts & moulded bread). Champ!

Hi JE, mine also learning science topics on diversity, cycles, interactions and systems. I'm also not sure how to do revision with him. Has bought a science guide book as recommended by a friend and use that book to explain to him those that he don't understand.

Hi Adeline, Ernz and Jesslyn, it is so coincidence to have all your 3 boys in the same school.

Hey Jessie

let me know if you need titles of other Science books.

There's no chance for my son to revise his work or do any practice at all - after the homework and spelling lists! There seems to be so much homework every day now, is this the case for other P3s?

He's so lethargic when he's doing his homework and I yell at him to hurry up. Of course, I feel guilty afterwards because he's only eight. But if he's to complete his homework, then dawdling is not the way to go!

I know, I know - I have no patience with slowness. And boys are the worst at being distracted, right?

Hi Ernz, I agree with you and I am also the impatient sort. No time for revision on weekdays night and weekend spend on Chinese and English spellings. Sometimes I wonder if spelling is really a waste of time. Sigh!

Jessie, you mean your boy already has his CAs? Wow! A bit too soon isn't it. But come to think of it...he has less topics to cover. So good news to you.

Ernz/Jessie,

I had bought a few Science assessment books too. Hopefully can get my DD1 to do it. May not be able to use those top schools exam papers this year since schools are at liberty to plan which books to be used for P3 and which for P4.

Mummies,

I think it's a big jump from P2 to P3. That's why kids are taking slightly longer time to complete their work. Hopefully they'll pick up the speed soon
happy.gif

Hi JE,

My son is not in SAP school too. The school has changed from normal Chinese to higher Chinese started this year. Although they study Higher Chinese but they do not required to take higher Chinese exam from P1-P4 and the exam format and components remain unchanged. For Science;My son is learning the same topic as what you've mentioned and I'm clueless too when comes to revision. My son's tutor recommended me this book as a guide book for Science "Casco Science Booster Notes", you can consider.

Hi Jesslyn,

Wow, happy that your son enjoyed his class! My son is a shy and timid boy and he feels shy and awkward when come to stage performance and sometimes he feels shy when he saw my friends
sad.gif

Hi Jessie,

Wow... your boy already has his CA paper liao! That's too fast and really very stressful for your boy but as what spanielpups said he has less topics to cover. Sometime I'm quite pity on them, they have to face lots of challenging questions as we don't have in our time.

Hi Ernz,

Welcome here!! So coincidence, 3 boys are in the same school!!

Hi spanielpups,

Err... if I'm not wrong your son is taken care by your mom right? Perhaps your mom can help him to practice his spelling and dictation during the weekday before he goes to sch. Weekend you'll have more time on revision. I could understand how tired it was after a long working hours and back home have to revise with him.

Hi Adeline,

That's good, he can learn computer at the same time
happy.gif

Hi Fion,

Yes, my ds is look after by my mom, unfortunately, my mom dun understand English and she can only managed the Chinese spelling. On top of that, ds has tuition 3 days a week in am, so very little time to learn spellings.

If I do not get a tutor for him, his mornings will be spend on watching TVs and idling. At least a tutor can make sure he did his work and teach him whatever that I can't due to lack of TIME. Ha!

Thanks for the welcome!

Spanielpups - spelling does take up so much of their time. My son doesn't take Mandarin but his Malay spelling takes up enough time as it is! Unfortunately, spelling's one of those things they've got to practice and keep at. My son tends to spell words as they're pronounced, so that's a problem sometimes!

Maybe encourage your son to read more for recreation (I know, hardly any time to do anything else!). On top of fiction, look for topical books on history, animals, geography etc. Depends on what your child's into, they'll be more interested in reading and it won't seem like a chore.

We have lots of books about dinosaurs, history, ancient civilizations, the human body, cars and military vehicles - if your son's interested in those, I can talk to my son about lending them to another boy?

Hi Ernz, I only bought one assessment book and one guide book for his science. He has not touch on the assessment book yet. I showed him the guide book for those questions that he cannot find in his textbook. Cannot remember the title of the book. Must go back and check. What kind of books did you buy?

Mine sometimes also lethargic when he is doing his homework. Been yelling everyday just wanted him to finish off everything and go to bed as early as possible.

Hi Spanielpups, only the 1st paper of Maths being tested. More will come..... They will be tested in various papers and activities for all the subjects throughout the 1st term. Marks will sum up to 100% in total. I rather he just sit for one paper rather than separating them into a few parts.

Hi JE, agreed with you. There is a big jump from P2 to P3. More homeworks are given and the teachers are not spoon feeding them as they were in P1 & P2.

Hi Fion, this year is too fast for their 1st paper. I do pity my boy as he don't even have time to watch his favourite TV programmes. Everyday will be homework, spelling/dictation, tuition, etc.

Hi Ernz,

My son's way of learning English and Chinese spelling is just staring at the spelling list without even trying to write it on a piece of paper. I have no idea how one can learn it this way!!! He does go to the library, but always the same type of books he borrows. Either it is about countries or it is about space/universe. I think the library is running out of collections on the space/universe books.

Hi spanielpups,

Wow.. as you said he just staring at the spelling list without practice it on the paper... Did he manage to score well? Since he has tuition 3 days a week, perhaps you can ask tutor to do you a favour to help him practice his spelling or dictation. My son's chinese tutor used to do that. For example, tomorrow is "Ting Xie" I'll revise with him again. Hahah!! same here, my son likes to borrow same type of books, like dinosaurs, planet and insects! As what you said, library is running out of collections on those books that he likes, hahahah!!

Hi Jessie

Really very pity on him
sad.gif
can't watch his favourite TV shows... sometimes I think really meaningless as they can score well in academic but no childhood memories...
sad.gif

Hi Jessie,

Oh ya! I bought one assessment book and one guide book for him. The name of the guide book is Casco Science Booster Notes and the assessment book is Perfect Match Science Challenging qns for P3/P4. Do not know whether the books that I bought will it be useful for him
sad.gif

Hi Spanielpups, the school has been using this type of "pattern" since P1. This year no show and tell. (Heng ah!) You are right, they are also stressing the mommies. Plus his class has one super kiasu parents. Add more stress to us
sad.gif

Your boy really has his own way of learning his spelling
happy.gif
As what Fion said, you could ask his tuitor to practice with him and you just do it again the day before the spelling date.

Haha...same same... my boy also borrow same type of books if he choose himself. I will select storybook for him instead.

Hi Fion, I do feel heartpain seeing him so busy with so many things. But how and how homework must finish and those spelling/dictation must learn. We will usually bring him out on Sat evening to let him relax himself or else scare he will go crazy or rather I will go crazy
sad.gif

I don't think I bought those books under Casco. Should be under EDP. The information inside is quite useful. He managed to find the answer inside and apply them to his school worksheet.

Have mommies here did the bread experiment already? My bread 5 days liao still haven't get molded yet. Wonder if I have done wrongly???

Hi Jessie,

So far he hasn't do the bread experiment but I think will be coming soon. By the way, the bread you use for experiment is it gardenia? Usually gardenia or sunshine bread will takes about 7-9 days to get molded. You should buy those "traditional bread" with normal plastic bag packing. Those bread will takes about 3-5 days to get molded. Yap agreed with you, we must bring them out at least once a week as they need to balance between homework and leisure. Me too, dare not to stress him too much as what you said, afraid he can't take it and will go crazy!!

Fion, staring at spelling list only works on English. The Chinese one cannot. Chinese definitely got to practice on papers as too much strokes.

Jessie, how super kiasu is that parent? Sounds interesting. haha.

Hey Jessie - I know this kiasu mum who only gets in touch to ask about my son's scores. And all weekend and every afternoon, her son does assessment books and exam papers.

Frankly, the boy is such a boring creature, he brings assessment books to read during silent readin period!

Hi Ernz,

It is really unusual to bring assessment books for silent reading!
proud.gif
Although I would like my son to do some assessments but not for silent reading, right?

Hi Fion & spanielpups,

It is good that both your boys don't mind borrowing books to read. As for my boy, whenever I bring him to the Library, he will only play with the science models instead of browsing thru books. He doesn't seem to like reading except during silent reading time (no choice).

Btw, Fion, Kip McGrath's English class is $35 per session. You can send your son for a free assessment of his English standard. If you enroll with them, they will teach based on his standard. So in a way the teaching is "personalised".

My boy doesn't like to read as well. He likes to read anime comics and jokes comics during silent reading period! Gosh! I tried to force him read Roald Dahl but he is simply not interested
sad.gif
Worse, he likes to borrow books from Library but he doesn't read them
sad.gif

Hi Fion, I finally saw the bread yesterday when I reached home last evening. I did buy those traditional white bread but it also took 5 days for it to get molded.

Hi Spanielpups, I can PM you for more details on their kiasu behaviours if you want. Really cannot stand them. Especially the daddy......

Hi Ernz, those paretns not only ask for scores also ask to look at their report book and then spread around. Very bad! The best part is infront of us they said they never let their boys any tuition but infact they are sending them to various tuition centres. Besides assessment books, I ever saw boy reading encyclopedia during their silent reading. Faint......

Back