1st Trimester - First Pregnancy

hi,
i have just confirmed with my GP that I am about 5.5 weeks preggie. => My GP has prescribed me folic, antenatal pills and vit and advised that I will prob only need to see my gynae about 4 weeks later (when I am about 8-9 weeks). Is that the norm? or shld i already see the gynae sooner?

Hi Haru, it's the norm. When you go to gynae about 8 to 9 weeks, it's just the right timing to do the dating scan to date the pregnancy. There's nothing else a gynae can do for you between now and 8 to 9 weeks.

At about 6 weeks, you can see a sac if you go to gynae, but it is just a dot on the ultrasound. You can't see the bb, you can't detect the heartbeat (heartbeat only detected usually about 8 weeks). You don't need an ultrasound unless you have cramping, bleeding, to confirm that the pregnancy is not ectopic (it is not ectopic if can see the sac). If there are no factors suggesting ectopic preg, there is no need for the ultrasound.

Hi,

Can I check how do we count how many weeks pregnancy? Do we start from the ovalution date or the last mensus?

mulberry,

how if the ovulation only occur towards the end of cycle? not like the norm, e.g. in the mid cycle ..

shierly, all doctors will count from 1st day of LMP. But they will do a dating scan at about 8 weeks and may shift the EDD is it is more than 2 weeks away from the calculated EDD.

mulberry , oic thanks u .....

cactus, so when we shld go c gynae if we missed the next period for abt 2 weeks? or shld we wait longer?

Yuki,

you should immediately take folic acid - can buy without prescription from pharmacy (cheaper) once you know you are pregnant. There is no need to go to doctor until you are about 7 weeks. Dating scan is the first important thing a doctor will do for you. Also about 7 weeks, you can detect heartbeat to determine that the fetus is viable. if you experience severe cramping/bleeding, then go immediately to doctor. no need to wait till about 7 weeks.

If you missed your period for about 2 weeks, doctors will say you are about 4 weeks pregnant but they will count it as 6 weeks cos it is from 1st day of LMP.

Pregnancy is actually 38 weeks/40 weeks. It is 38 weeks from fertilization. Assume you ovulate mid cycle, it is actually 40 weeks from 1st day of LMP. Doctors count pregnancy from 1st day of LMP - 40 weeks.

cactus, thanks a lot
happy.gif
i have been taking folic acid regularly ...juz in case. taking 5mg a day ...is it too much?

is there any good female gynaes that you would recommend?

actually does the skincare products affect the BB? i heard some say tat got to get gynae approval else some ingredient may be harmful to BB.

Hi Yuki, the normal amount is 5mg a day. It's not too much. It's just nice.

I don't know any good female doctors.

There are some ingredients that theoretically may harm BB's development. Don't use retinol, vit A and salicyic acid products. I'm not sure what else we should avoid though.

Dr Ann Tan is a famous female gynae in Spore. Think she used to be from SGH and now got her own clinic at Mt E. Heard pretty ex

Hi cactus, thanks
happy.gif
coz i heard some say the recommended amt is 0.4mg ....

ok i take note of those n try to avoid products with those ingredients,

Yuki, you can check up on any doctor by going to the moh website. You will be able to see the years the doctor obtained their qualification.Assuming the doctor had always been in practise, it is a good gauge of the number of years of experience that that doctor has.

In general, medical officers and registrars at govt hosps have less than 6 years experience. Associate consultants and above at govt hosps have at least the same number of years of experience as private clinic doctors.

Yuki,

she is very very experience so I think her fees are costly too. She is also on some medical board or something and also writes regularly in certain magazines. She shares the same name as one of my friend and she's also gynae to some of my friends so I still remember her.

For me, I didnt opt for a female gynae after a bad experience with one female gynae near my place when I was 1st pregnant 10yrs ago. Anyway, u can also try one female gynae (cant remember her name) from Tow Yung Clinic (at Tanglin Mall). My friend said she's very attentive even though his wife went to her towards the last part of her pregnancy as original gynae (from different clinic) went on holiday.

Hi,

I just went for a v-scan today when my menses was late for 7 days. Usually on 32-34 days cycle.

Before my LMP, I was on birth control pill to shrink an ovarian cyst.

Went to see the gynae at KKH today and they couldn't detect anything although I tested twice faint positive on the HPT. I had a HCG blood test done and awaiting results next week.

Wonder if it is too early to see a sac? Also I am afraid I have ectopic pregnancy before I experience intermittent cramp on my left, right and center which last less than 1 min.

hi merydith

since the last mes u posted on being unable to see the sac, how is it now? able to detect now? How many weeks along now for u? Im on my fifth week and went for my scan yesyerday but doc cant detect the sac too. Im scared.

I had a scan at 5 weeks. Able to see the sac and also heartbeat! very exciting. this week is 8th week, gynae say will be able to see head, arms and legs!

congrats super...

It's really an exciting journey, i also found out when i was 4 weeks..now BB is 19 weeks...and a baby girl
happy.gif

Is anyone having twins here? I'm onli in 11 weeks and I'm starting to feel stretching and 'cramp' like feeling. my fren with singleton said its normal, but i'm onli 11weeks? pls help!

Hi mothers,

Anyone experience cramps during pregnancy? Im onli about 5 weeks but having constant cramps.. not very painful but can be quite sharp at times.. is it normal?

Hi Jo,

I'm also having cramps and is about 4wks plus now. Have u seen ur gynae? My first gynae visit is still quite some time away.

hi koi,

I seen my gynae on mon n saw bb hb.. the cramps are actually quite common... my gynae says its a form of uterus stretching esp if its first preg.. but if there's spotting with cramps, must see gynae immediately n rest

hi all

i'm 6th weeks pregnant....juz tested positive last week....not sure why but i don't really sleep well at night....anyone with such experience?

swt2baby,

Me also experience this on certain nights.. but usually wake up to pee.. heehee.. think it's normal.. hv u seen yr bb heartbeat?

I ve cramp like menses wanna come when abt 5 weeks pregnant. And heavy bleeding on 6 weeks. Lucky my baby is fine. doc gave me 2 wks mc n aft that i took 3 mths unpaid leave. Im now 23 weeks + pregnant and baby v active. During pregnant shd not have pain or bleed. rest well n eat healthy is v important.

hi jo

thx....lucky i managed to sleep better over e weekend
happy.gif

me gog 2 e gynae tmr, hope will be able to c e bb heartbeat den.

hi jolin

glad tt all is gog well 4 u
happy.gif
when is yr EDD?

hi

i've seen gynae last week and was told 5weeks, so now shd be 6 weeks
happy.gif

i also find it hard to sleep some nights keep waking up exactly at 330am and 5am dunno for what.. then just go pee and try to sleep. do you all feel cold when sleeping? sometimes i will feel shivering cold like when having a fever and have to cover head to toes with comforter then i feel better. haha

also anyone experience discomfort? its weird i'm fine in the morning and i start feeling weird like giddy, and hard to tolerate food smells starting afternoon time
sad.gif
think mine is afternoon sickness..

hi bonbon

our symptoms quite similar....me oso used 2 wake up at 4am & got difficulty getting back 2 sleep after that & i used 2 sleep in aircon rm but hv been feeling cold easily so did not on my aircon since last wk, prob can save elect, haha!

i've morn sickness last wk but so far tis wk ok....but gynae says may come back dur 8/9 wks (keeping my fingers crossed)

but not sure why, my stomach feelin v tight....anyway, all my skirts/pants no longer fit...juz bot my 1st pair of mat pants
happy.gif

hi mtbs... i thot im the only one dat have the cold feelings. have been sleeping w/o aircon & fan, & wearing socks & comforter since these few weeks. im in my 7th week preggy. my mil & family sometimes did ask how cum i dun feel hot or perspiring like normal preggy women. so now at least i know im not alone... he he..

Hi all,

I'm in my 7th week now. Just like bonbon & oshiezan, also feel feverish at times, but next minutes feel very warm. I don't have MS, I have continuous-sickness when I'm not asleep. Feeling giddy, and nausea too, but I couldn't vomit it out. Heard that if we can vomit it out, we'd feel a little better afterwards, how to (vomit)?

Also, it's only my 7th week, but most of my clothes are too tight already, is it bad? I couldn't control my eating, strangely got hungry and awaken at 2 or 3am looking for food, since week 5.
sad.gif

hi everyone

I am into my 10 weeks now, I do not feel particularly cold or any warmer than usual. However, I have been really sick and have been throwing up a lot. My stomach is hungry and I will eat but then will throw up about 40 mins later. I wish I can eat better as I can only eat very little at a time have lost a few kilos...and like Ling I get hungry but I do not wake up at night to look for food. I have a banana before I sleep and that usually works for quite well for me.

By the way I just want to ask when exactly do pregnant tummies show? I have been worried because It seems that I do not have a tummy that is growing or so it seems. I wish it will grow a little quicker, as I am a first time mum so my hubby and I are quite excited about having a more apparent pregnant tummy.

Hi everyone,

I've just confirm I'm pregnant by my gynae. I should be in my 4th week now. Dr. says it is too early for scanning but because I've been having spotting, I was told to go back 2 weeks later. Hopefully everything goes on well.

hi bonbon & swt2baby, i have similar experiences..i keep waking up at weird timings (like 2 am, 3am and 5am). But luckily can still fall asleep after i pee and drink a bit of water, i go back to bed.

I feel like throwing up (but haven't threw anything up yet) most of the time. Esp in the morning when i wake up, sometimes it can occur in the afternoon or in the evening (can come anytime) - am i normal??

My smell has become very sensitive. If i go to hawker centre and there's a lot of "cooking smell", i feel like throwing up.

Feel very tired especially when i am working.

Hi, all mother & mothers to be.. haa. i'm new here.. my expected due date is 25 May 09 and i'm 1st time pregnant. I heard from alot of people that for 1st birth usually will be earlier then e EDD. So i'm jus wondering is it really true? Like maybe ard how many days earlier or maybe will be later then e EDD. Are there any mothers who have an experiences on this anot?? Thanks..
happy.gif

hi all, im in my 6th week pregnancy. went to see doc on 4th week as having too much brown discharged,told tat ive infection and was given antibiotics only. 1 week later it bcome more frequent bleedin and went to anohr gynea then realise i should rest in bed. given 7 daes of MC>

my edd is in 31july next yr. ive heart and see my baby's heartbeat when i went for the scan at 5 weekS! so excited.

jus wan to know isit normal to haf diahorrea? i kept going to the toilet now. and mus do and is very watery

I hear preganancy need to eat alot ov vitamin and folic acid , I sooo worry as I have problem from small that I cant ever swallow a pill, as I will vomit out straight away .

Do those vit and folic acid come in chewable or liquid form ??

Still dunno I preganancy anot , as i think I must go buy the test kit . What is a most suitable week to go for a gynae ?

karenyee..the folic acid pill is very small. Should be easy to swallow (just take a huge gulp of water and it'd prob go down w/o any effort). The iron and calcium tabs are bigger (like normal panadol type size). If difficult, crush it into smaller pcs?

The best time to go see an obstetrician is around the 8th week. By then you can see the sac and embryo clearly, and detect the heartbeat. You can actually see ard the 5th-6th wk on, but sometimes it's not as clear yet.

Yuko

I think it's hard to say lah. Alot of first time moms have different experiences with EDD. Mine was 2 wks early..my friend was late...had to induce. Depends on baby's size, your health (some women need to deliver earlier due to health reasons like pre-eclampsia), etc. So I don't think you'll be able to get a consensus on this
happy.gif
In any case, from the 37th wk on, your pregnancy is considered full term and you can expect to deliver any time from thereon.

hi everybody, im new here.

this sat i am going for gynae check up. to confirm if im pregnant.

My last mense is on 28 Nov08, on 26 Dec 08,when i did a pregnancy test, i got a faint result. Positive but one like is lighter /fade.

now i always have cramp & twist on my lower tummy on the left.

BTW, would like to ask your advise, on dying Or perm hair, will there be any concern during early pregnancy.

My hair is very messy and CNY is approaching
sad.gif

hi flower4, normally if it's the initial stage, the result is faint..tat's wat my doc told me...

think better don't dye or perm hair cos of the chemicals....play safe..maybe just have a nice trim for the CNY. :)

hihi geberra,

thanks for advise, my hair is growing fast and my nature color is showing ,while the other part is my previous dye colorl Kinda untidy looking & making me look haggard & tired. my hair have two color now..

I guess i got to bear with it for baby sake. :p. How about henna?

Shld i start to buy folic acid from retail or wait til i see Gynea tis sat , What vitamin usually they will give us?

im currently taking multivite 21st century.. i cant stop it cuz i will feel very tired. but duno if its the correct vit though.

hi flower4, not sure abt henna, though it's touted as natural hair dye. best to check with gynea.

should quickly start folic acid as it is shown to decrease the incidence of birth defect, esp improtant during the 1st 4 weeks of pregnancy. but since ur seeing doc this sat, then i guess it's ok. gynae will prescribe. otherwise can get it too, it's cheap, a couple of dollars for a big pack.

bring your multivite to the doc and show gynae, c if ok to continue.

Hi Ladies,

i just did my own test at home and found myself positive.. gonna visit the gynea soon to confirm my status, do u ladies have any good gynae to recommend in Bishan/Hougang??

btw, i feel dizzy, chest tight and coldness in the recent week, is this normal?? or could I be ill?

appreciate your input

im confirmed by gynea , im 5weeks pregnancy
happy.gif

gynea ask me to stop my usual multivite
sad.gif
.. after stop i feel myself very tired. how manz. she only precribe me with folic acid
sad.gif

congrats flower4!
ur tired than usual during this period..that's normal...cos it's first trimester, may not necessarily be due to the multivites...
and yes pls eat the folic acid..v important...

Back