1st Trimester - First Pregnancy

Peace,

I too have spotting (3-4 times) till the 10th week. This is what I understand from my Gynae:
1) Brown discharge = No current activity. Could be old clogged blood. Red blood = more threatening
2) By ultrasound you should see the yolk sac and the baby. These two definately will be seen together.The regular shape of yolk sac is suggesting that the chances of m/c is not so great.
3) Bed rest and if possible take leave or mc till 12 weeks to stabilise the baby.
4) Early brown discharge may be due to implantation bleeding and not a sign of m/c. However, the Gynae will not denied the risk of threaten m/c for any brown discharge happening.
5) Gynae will give hormone injection twice a week to stabilise the baby and hormone pills to be taken 3 times a day.
6) NO SEX (For those with threaten m/c)!
7) There is nothing they can do for brown discharge except giving you bed rest, injection and pills.
8) Continue to eat and sleep well. Avoid cold drink and 'cooling' food and hot shower and tub bath.

Thanks Berlyn,
I just saw gynae at kkh. Doc said if it's brown discharge, it's alright. Doc did a scan and saw some clogs on the wall of the uterous, so bleeding is likely from implantation. Double check on bb, now 6th weeks, got heartbeat, so it's fine. What a relief to hear.

hi all,

im new and a first time mom-to-be.

calculating by the first date of my last period, i shld be 5 weeks plus pregnant.

however a saw a gynae n did a scan and found that the size of the sac is less than 5 weeks worth of pregnancy.

there is no yolk sac n heartbeat yet

im pretty sure that my last period started on the 23rd sept as i was observaing the ovulation calender to get pregnant. then how can the sac be smaller than 5 weeks??

was told to see the gynae again in aniother 7-10days time.

im really worried meanwhile as someone of similiar experience with me lost her baby in another thread.

any one had similar experiences that u might ve heard of??

hi tinyfeet,
not to worry so much..my first visit to the gynae was also on my wk 5...and we only saw the waterbag. No heartbeat n sac till wk 7. I went back to gynae again on wk 7 and everything was alright....
My gynae has advised me not to carry heavy things..no sex..& REST WELL
These few weeks are very impt!

really?? thats such a relief to me... the more i read online n more worried i got. So i just told myself that i will take gd care of myself as much as possible and the rest will leave it to fate. whatever will be, will be.

thanks girl! will hind yr advice

Hi Misswho,

During your Ist visit , the gynae only saw waterbag .Did the gynae says this is normal?
This has happen to me too!

Hi Jean,

he told me is too early to see anything...only the waterbag is there. He didn't say is abnormal but ask me not to over-exert, not to carry heavy things n no sexual intercourse. He does not want to take any chances....Not to worry so much...return to your gynae 2 weeks later and you'll see your bb's heartbeat n sac.

Take care, rest well & eat well

Hi Misswho,

Thanks for the advices.
My case was similar to tinyfeet. I was quite worried too! As mentioned, your baby heartbeat and sac were detected on 7 weeks. May I know if everything is fine with you and your baby now?

Ya, gynae said my son is growing well. I'm now in my wk 18....have done my blood test & everything seems fine! Can feel bb's 'kicking' once in a while! Will be gg for my detailed scan on the 3 Dec..Can't wait to see my boy again...

hi sunshine,

i just happen to reread this thread.

my baby heartbeat was detected on my 2nd visit to the gynae at abt 6 weeks n heart beat was detected. it was a grest relief to me n my hubby. im now into my 8 weeks turing nine.

will see the gynae at week 10 again. hopefully the baby has grown n is healthy in my little tummy.

Hi tinyfeet and Misswho,

May I know when your gynae detected your baby heartbeat,is the heartbeat growing at the correct size according to your pregnancy period?
May I know who are your gynae as I intend to seek a second opionion?

Hi sunshine,

Hope u dun mind me sharing my experience here - happened to stumble upon this thread and your questions.

At week 4 day 6, only sac was detected. At week 8, heartbeat was detected and embryo was the correct size. I dun think any doctor measures size of heartbeat. They only measure size of embryo. I understand that heartbeat can be detected after week6 and in some cases, as late as week 8. It also depends on what type of scan you did. If you did a scan through the tummy, and if you are not ultra skinny, it will be hard to see the heart beat even at week 8. You most prob have to do a vaginal scan. Any O&G doctor will be able to detect a heartbeat with the correct equipment at the correct time.

Thanks Cactus,

I did a scan last week. Supposed to be on 7 wk pregnancy, but when my gynae did a ultrascan in his office, he could not detect anything and concluded that the foetus might be 'abnormal'. I then referred to Antenatal Monitoring Clinic (AMC) and fortunately, the nurse detected my bb's heartbeat using a more powerful scanner (vaginalscan). The scan indicated that my embryo size is around 5.7 wk not 7 wk. My gynae was surprised at the result but still did not seem very positive of my case saying that it should not be this small and ask me to come for another scan tomorrow . Just hope that my baby will grow. I am very worry and not sure what to think and do ?

hi sunshine,

don't worry to much about the embryo size. Cos you may have miscalculated your ovulation date... If your menses is not regular, or if you don't ovulate mid-cycle like most women, it is not easy to determine if something is wrong with your bb or if you just got the dates wrong. Of course, if your bb is constantly 5.7wk in size, over a period of say 1 month, then something may be wrong.

I understand that different scanning machines may produce different results. The vaginal scan is very commonly used during early pregnancy.. up to 12 weeks even.. unless you are super skinny and if your bladder is very full. Don't worry about what your gynae thinks. If you feel he/she is not supportive/encouraging, then I suggest you change a doctor. Note that your bb may measure differently on a normal tummyscan and on a more sensitive vaginal scan.

At 8 weeks, my doctor could not properly detect a heartbeat throuhg my tummy (cos I just emptied my bladder for the urine test!) but when she did the vaginal scan, I saw the heartbeat very strong.

Sunshine, can I find out which doctor you are seeing? Or if you are uncomfortabe sharing the info here, can you tell me if it is a private doctor or a restructered hospital?

Hi Sunshine,
I received your PM. It's quite surprising cos I thought they would have all the necessary equipment there? Maybe if you feel your doctor is inexperienced, you can request for someone more experienced. I have had no problems so far at the place which I think you are going too now.

Anyways, do update us on your consultation when you have time k!

Hi Sunshine,
I went back to gynae on my wk 7 and heartbeat was detected. I dun rem the size, got to check on my ultrasound pic again(which is @ hm, let u noe tonight). & according to doc, he said BB is growing well.
I visit my gynae at Singapore Women's Clinic that is at Clementi Ave 2. He is Dr Clifford Chan. But he will only be at Clementi on every wednesday from 1045 to 1230hrs. Most of the time, he will be at his Pasir Ris Clinic, The Women's Clinic & Surgery.

If u need more details then let me know...I'll PM u

Hi gals,

Thanks for all your concerns.
I went for the second scan again. Good news is that my baby is growing , but at a very slow rate than expected. My gynae still has to monitor my condition. the only thing I can do now is to remain positive and pray hard for baby to grow faster. It's indeed a very stressful period for me.

Hi sunshine,

Has it occured to your gynae that maybe you calculated your ovulation period wrongly? You may have ovulated later in the cycle, therefore bb is smaller than expected? As long as there is continued growth, it is okay, right?

Hi Sunshine,

glad that your BB's is growing. u must try to relax n not stress yourself so much..."Stress hormones released by highly pressured mothers can mean a more active foetus or bb" (quoted from a sg motherhood mag)
SO u must be happy!!

Hi everyone,

i'm a 1st time MTB as well. Into my 6 weeks now. Feel bloated and nausea all the time. Been vomitting the moment i open my eyes... when will this be over? Help!

HI I am new here. I need some advice. Had my last menses 22Oct and today I am late by 9days, normally 30day cycle. Tested twice on clearblue as +ve.
Went to gynae 2days ago, and she couldnt see any pregnancy sac. advise me to go 2weeks later. She said some 'pregnancies' could end up with period coming and ended the 'pregnancy'
I am confused, am I pregnant or not?
Should I seek 2nd opinion as to if I am pregnant?
Why isit that gynae cannot find anything inside me with the vaginal scan?
Please advise....

Carol Goh, normally, the nauseous feeling will end by the end of 1st trimester for most of MTB. It could stretch to 2nd trimester for some, like me. I have had my mother-in-law feeling nauseous throughout her pregnancy. Thus, this feeling differs from person to person.

Not to fret, just take mini meals frequently or eat something that u like before taking a meal. It may help. And do not take any acidic stuff much for the time being because it will only aggravate the stomach acids further.

Hi Alicia,

In early pregnancy, it may be very hard to see a sac even with a vaginal scan.
1) 2 weeks later, you prob can see a sac with a vaginal scan if it is a normal pregnancy
2) it may be an etopic pregnancy, where the egg is in the fallopian tube. But the symtoms of this would include severe cramping and spotting/bleeding
3) you are not pregnant but it is ajust delayed menses
4) you were pregnant but the sac has self aborted and you would "miscarry" by bleeding and ending the pregnancy

If your doc didn't see a sac, she would have taken your blood to test for the beta HCG level to determine a base line. In a cuople of day's time, your blood will again be taken to test for beta HCG level and check if the level has risen by a lot, or by just a little. If it's gone up alot, you're pregnancy is likely to be stable.

You may want to request for teh beta HCG test to be done now.

In my case, I went to doctor when menses was late by 6 days. doctor saw sac through vaginal scan, b ut I was informed by doctor it is not common to see sac at less than 5 weeks. When she saw the sac, she said it is likely to be a normal pregnancy, so there was no need to take blood for beta HCG level testing. She educated me then about the beta HCG blood test and said it is a comparative blood test for the HCG levels.

Hi cactus and misswho,

I really appreciate all your encouragement.
My gynae did not think that my ovulation period was miscalculated. As long as my baby is growing is definitely a good news. But my condition still require close monitoring as I need to do a weekly scan.

Thank you Sonia! Went to see my Gynea last friday and got a jab to stop vomitting. Says i lost too much weight in 10 days. Now was given this pills to eat every 6 hrly. The nurses advises me to drink coke or soda drink to help with food consumption. Seems to work for me better. =)

Have a question that might not be so related - anyone knows of people who went on short flights (less than 5 hours) when they were pregnant in first trimester but did not know? Sort of like 4-5 weeks pregnant but haven't missed period yet so no idea?

Hi,

I just went for my 1st appt with the gynae. He did a tummy scan and I saw a sac (but no embryo or sign of baby inside the sac). He said the sac is in the correct place and of correct size as of my 6+ week. But I forgot to ask him about the embryo. Is it normal that the embryo can't be seen even at 6+ week? Is it considered slow growth?

Furthermore I just experienced slight brown staining for the first time today, this makes me even more worried of miscarriages.
I did inform him, he said it's common and should be no cause for alarm coz he did not detect any 'tear' (BTW, what does it mean by 'tear'?). Anyway he prescribed an1 tai1 yao1 to stabilise.

Also I forgot to ask him if intercourse could still be allowed during this time, altho he did mention no strenuous activities and sports. Basically just remain sedentary. But I really wanna find out from all of you, under such circumstances, do u all still continue your sexual activity?

I'm quite worried as to how come I don't get baby heartbeat nor pic scan while most others would have by now.

Hope I could hear from someone who shares similar experience.

better not to have sexual intercourse esp u're having staining now.

unless ur gynae said its alright. better check with him with anything u're unsure of..

Hi all!! I am new here! Me & hubby have been TCC officially for two months & I had brown discharge & brown spotting for past few days when I am suppose to have my period on 24 Dec. We tested on the pregnancy test on Thurs & there was a faint line, but later in the night there was a little bleeding when I wipe with a tissue.

I decided to go to a GP yesterday but seem like the doctor also not sure as well. There is still a faint line & he say it is too faint to determine whether pregnant or not.. Argh!! So disppointing!! But he didn't suggest any blood test, only ask me to re-test one week later...

Hopefully will have positive results!

hi storeberry... be very careful these few days... dun walk or stand up too fast.. slow actions... if is faint line.. got chance...

think if you suspect you are pregnant... but got slight stains.. better to avoid intercourse before confirming if you really pregnant... best is to rest well and take good care.. dun walk too fast and suddenly stand up too fast...

Hi howblur & kspl, thanks for your advice & encouragment! This week has been sooo long!! I tested this morning & I think I am really preggie!! :D

There is a dark pink line, more clearer than last week, me & DH was so excited!! So anyone knows when do I start seeing a gynae & how to calculate the no of weeks?

Hi Storeberry ,
Congratulations .

You should see a gynea asap as they gynea can check your pregnacny and give you folic acid to take .

If u miss your period on 24 Dec , u most likely to be in your 5 - 6 weeks of pregnancy so can see gynea already since it's your first pregnancy . If u need recommendation , do let me know as my gynea is highly recommended as he is patient , caring and go all the well to help you .

storeberry... you should see a gynae asap for the folic acid... then the gynae might scan your tummy and see if can see anything...

congrads...

Hi Sunshine,
Not sure if this helps... but when I attended the antenatal class at TMC, the intructor Mrs Wong mentioned that to help baby grow faster, mums-to-be should try to sleep on the left side cos it offers the best blood supply to the baby...

Try to take more protein rich food such as fish & eggs. Gynae told me that protein is one of the main building blocks to help the baby grow faster...

Hi CL,
Flying should be alright I suppose... went Europe without realising I was pregnant at that time as well...
happy.gif

And for all with morning or whole day sickness, hang in there ya and it'll soon pass!
happy.gif
I had bloatedness, whole day nausea and this weird taste in the mouth from 6+ to 16 weeks and was thinking I'll probably stop at one, but it's all worth it when you see your baby during the ultrasound scans and feel your baby moving inside you... guess it's what motherhoood is all about!
happy.gif

thanks Mei! Was thinking that if less than 1 month preg (that's why don't know pregnant), embryo must be so tiny that flying shouldn't cause problems...

Hi ladies,
I just tested +ve this morning. AF is due 30th dec so now is 11days.For the past 1+ week, feeling the cramp. I even stop my women multi-vit when i suspect i pregnant cos it contains TungGui.

Have not gone to any gyne yet.

would like to know isit advisable to continue my aerobic class?

Hi trazz , I think its better to stop aerobic class because I think its strenuous right? Now baby is still not stable so its best to refrain from carrying heavy items & doing strenuous exercise...
happy.gif

All the best!

hi ladies, doctor just confirm that i am 5.5 weeks preggy. he say no need to consult gynae yet cos still early. just need to take the an tai yao and have a good rest and prevent fall down at this time. will make gynae appt in Feb. anyone knows can do rebonding at 5.5 weeks preg ? cos i forget to ask doctor just now....

Hi all,

I'm new here & was 02 mths pregnant already. Can anyone advise me what should i do next after i completed my doctor prescribed me the folic acid?Should i proceed to see a gynae @ KKH or see a private gynae? Any gynae to recommend me?

Hi Shermie,

congrats. U gone to see your GP and he gave u folic acid?

1st n foremost, where do u intend to give birth? If u want to deliver in KKH then u can proceed to polyclinic for a referral to KKH. Alternatively, u can go directly to KKH if u have a designated gynae in mind. U also gotta choose whether u prefer woman or man gynae (be it KKH or private gynae).

When I was 1st pregnant (1997), me and hubby blur blur so we went to a Women clinic nearest to our place. Bad choice!!!!! The woman gynae was so rough and she didnt assure me this and that. Kept telling me that being pregnant is nothing....etc. The impression she gave me was, LOOK I'M ALSO A WOMAN AND I'VE GIVEN BIRTH SO ...... I felt like crying after she 'lectured' me and it was the worst experience any MTB can get because I also bleed after she examine me. She was really very rough in handling me. Luckily, my hubby's female colleague recommended me her gynae (man) and the rest is history.

Hi Celia,

Thanx. The folic acid is given by my normal doctor when i go to his clinic for the urine testing for pregnancy.

I think i will mostly will give birth in govt hospital as currently i was jobless & do not wish to add on to my hubby burden. If i will to go to the KK women clinic @ AMK for those antael check up, can i still be subsidise or do i still need to go to polyclinic to get the referral letter.

I agreed that women as a gynae are mostly rough as per my ex-colleague & sister. They all got so fed up with those women & finally switch to a guy gynae which is million beta than their previous.

hi shermie, kk clinic @ amk is not subsidies clinic. which means, it will be private rates. go to a polyclinic and ask for referral letter to kkh. when you are giving birth, choose i 5 bedder class. you can fully claim for cpf if you choose 5 bedder and natural birth. and if there is excess that is being claim, they will return you via chq. (if you still have any enquiries about all this claims and amount payable, you can visit their admission clinic and ask them in details.)

although waiting time at kkh tends to be longer if you are under subsidies rates, you can choose timing that is not that crowded. i often go ard 3 plus, the waiting time is quite short. so maybe you can request to have around that timing. it actually doesn't matter if the doc you see is male or female under subsidies scheme at kkh. the one who is going to handle your birth will be an experience mid-wife.

Back