(1997) 1997 or before children

I missed all sec school open hse cos I thot of waiting for PSLE result first. As Jasmine mentioned, I've heard that some sec sch conduct open hse on sat-22nd but I'm not sure if it is for ALL sec school.

Daisy, which sec sch impressesed you ? I've heard that there is a non-DSA class for those who can't cope with the DSA program in a DSA sch. you have to check with the school. Also your child can x'fer to DSA sch if he/she perform well in sec 2. Good Luck !

aiyahmum, DSA and IP are two different things. Hhhmm ... you make me more confuse now ... hahaha ...

I want to find out more about IP, 6 years programes without taking O level. :)

any mommies familar with DSA? or have kids admitted to secondary school via DSA?

I'm wondering which CCA is highly sought after in most IP schools?

Thanks for sharing

Yawn yawn, i'm also reading up more info. mostly is sports CCA for boys and music groups for the gals. look at the schools of ur choice and check out which CCAs are their strong CCAs (alot of awards/SYF Golds/etc).

Hi mummies here

Can check with you mum, anyone know good English creative writing course in the east?I need to help my gal in ideas expanding...thanks

hi mummies

i am a school chinese teacher with 8 yrs exp and 12 yrs exp as tutor . Now on leave to look after my 3 kids . I gave tuition to Pri 1 to 6 students and all my students have improved cos i use a very fun way to teach them .My 3 pri 6 tuition kids scored A for PSLE this yr. Parents testimontials avail for reading . if u need a chinese tutor pls sms 97651438 for enquires

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but have been reading with great interest. My son is taking his PSLE next yr '09 and I'm already stressing. His CL is so poor and he has 1-1 tuition already. thinking of looking for new tutor. What can I do? I've sent him to HAN and the teacher recommended I take him out as he was not keeping with the pace. Any mothers feeling the 2009 PSLE pressure like me? or am I just insane.. btw we stay near SG gdns, any tutor recommendations??

hi bel, I personally feel that language is not about studying. You should focus him on interest. Teachers do make a lot of help. If the kids like the teacher, they would generally like the subject. And kids nowadays dun like through the books type of teaching method. At least this happened to my girl. She learnt a lot through watching chinese drama (ch 8 and TVB ch 55), watch chinese news and listen to chinese songs. At home she would speak Mandarin with my mum who stay with us and speak English with us. Hope this can help you relieve your stressssss ... :)

Hi Bel,
agreed with Daisy.must have interest then can learn, otherwise no matter how many classes oso no use. Dont stress yrself lah. my younger boy failed his chn since P4, sent him enrichment classes & 1 to 1 tuition oso not much help. thank God that he passed his chn for psle
happy.gif

hi bel.
my gal also take PSLE next yr. i also a little stress. i just register with han too. she also hv maths and sci tuition at home since mid of P4.

Bel

It's odd the HAN's teacher ask your boy to withdraw. Not much of a commitment there on their part.

Take it easy on PSLE. My girl also taking PSLE next yr. Many years down the road, no one will look at PSLE results. It's just another phase of life. What's impt is that we give them the support / encouragement. When they have the motivation, they will learn and push themselves.

Of coz if finances permit, we can enrol them in classes to help them learn better. i'm not against that.

I like one letter is ST forum lately that the writer's child strive to do well in PSLE on his own. The child may not top the cohort, but he knows he has worked hard for it. Commendable.

Agree with zmm about motivation, support and encouragement.

I personally don't enourage tuition, however enrichment class like drama, arts, music, I have no objection. When enounter difficulties, I prefer my child to seek teacher's or classmates' help or source for answers through internet, books, forum. I always want my child to find answer the difficult way, then she would appreciate the answer better and remember the process well.

Active learning approach is very important. Nobody teach a child how to play computer games, how to msn, how to blog, but naturally its their interest and they would pick up very easily. This should apply to study. Just to share my thoughts .... no offence .....

hi caroline3sg. We put first choice slightly higher than her aggregiate. 2nd choice onwards are within the range.

Hi Daisy, Nothing2do,

I thot of getting a chinese and eng dictionary for my son. Do you have any recom which one is good for a pri sch level.

Tks.

Hi Daisy, Nothing2do & all mummies,
Merry Christmas!

Hi Nothing2do,
I don't recall there is any item on dictionary. Is your gal's dictionary meant for pri sch level up to P6.

Tks.

merry christmas to all.

wanwan,
i didn't buy the chinese dict. but i bought the english dict during their P4, during the lower pri they dont need.

hi, so bz recently, sorry ...
wanwan, I bought digital dic for my girl. She has quite a few dics, cannot rem the title.

She is fine and enoying the honeymoon time in RVH. Looking at her time table, tough time to come soon, hee hee ...

Hi Daisy

Which dic you bought for your girl/I just bought besta for my girl but am not sure it will be a white elephant for her.

my girl just told me, the creative chinese dic selling in her sec school's book shop at only $9 ! We bought at challenger abt 1 year ago for $20+ !

mommies

School gave a list of subscription forms.

Did you subscribe to Young Scientist for your child? What about Reader Digest or National Geographic? Any review for magazines?

So many don't know which to subscribe...

hi all & ywan,

which lvl is ur kids in? for my gal P6 this yr, she more interested in young scientist, but not reader digest. i start buying it for her since last yr. i heard reading reader digest is good for their english, but she just not reading it, waste my money leh. hahaha

hhhhiiiiiii ... a bit hyperactive because its Friday today :)

I myself find Reader digest is a bit boring, maybe thats why kids don't like. I subscribed thru my own Nat Geo when my girl in P5 (2 years ago). Still subscribing now ... She would read the topics interesting to her, not interesting, she would not read. (actually I also like that ... haha)

hi daisy.
i find it more interesting when i was in my p sch. but now when i browse the book, it wasn't as interesting as last time. hahaha

Hi all

Can check with you mums, for those that have children that are p4 onwards,how do we help to sort out all the keywords for science?Is there any good guide book for it?

Lately, my girl was given a sci question, she put in the words, relect the experiement accurately but did not put in fairly, thus deduct one mark...Just wanna know where can we find all the scientific terms, besides those common one that we find in the text or general guide book...thanks alot...

Hi all,

I am looking for housewives/mothers who prepare meals for their family at least 5 times a week for a research study (focus group discussion). It will take place this Friday evening, 13th March from 7pm till about 8:30pm and there'll be $50 remuneration.

We are not selling anything. This is purely for research and the $50 will be paid by cash.

Please PM me for more details.

Thanks!

Hi Mummies,

I'm new here. I have a girl in P5 and a boy in P1. Can someone advise how to improve on languages for P5 ? Any good tution centre to recommend in Bt. Pangjang Area ? Anyone tried Mind Stretcher @ CCK ?

Thanks.

hi stephanie, I feel that language is long term hard work. You can try simple newspaper articles. Read out loud, talk about her feelings on the article, give your advice to her on the article and finally ask her to write out a review. Review includes finding difficult words with the meanings and make a sentence with the words. After that, get her to write out her the summary and her feelings towards that article.

Another way is watch news programme.

Hi wong, welcome. I can recommend you the kiasuparents forum where the parents there are with kids older age (about teenage). Here, more focus on younger kids :)

My girl also in sec 1 now.

Hi Daisy

Which IP school is your girl from?

Starbucks
Welcome...your child age gap is the same as mine...mine is one girl and boy

which preschool is your boy?

Back