(1997) 1997 or before children

not really lah, but they like swimming. the eldest daughter is too skinny she wont be able to handle, only my younger daughter can.

we r looking at anderson sec. but after she heard the classmate all aim for NY or RGS. she also say wan to try her very best.hahaha i tell her too far. for me as long as she can go in anderson i'm happy liao. haha

caroline3sg,

It's ok. Thanks for your reply.

cymk23,

I would be very happy if my girl is aiming for NYG or RGS in future. It's always good to aim for higher goal, so that she will work hard for it. If she can't, it's still fine as long as she has tried her best. This is what I always tell my boy.

bishanmum,

ya, i also tell her just do her best. she actually ask me too. r those sch better then anderson sec. i say ya. so she very keen now. hope she really can make it. that y she work very hard on her maths, bec that is her best subject which really can help her score.

My girl is from a prestigious convent school from the North. The teachers in that school SUCK! Totally BO-CHAP. Yet, every year parents are willing to give up their arm to get their children into that school! Anyway, my girl DESPERATELY needs help for Maths. She has been having home tuition for 6 months. 1-to-1. She's tried Justmaths and KipMcgrath too. She's been failing Maths since P4 and has since lost confidence and interest in Maths. Is Learning Point's teachers good. The one at Thomson Plaza.

Hi Regine,

U can try Andrew Er learning hub. my boy hated maths and failed maths in his pr 4 & 5. I sent him to andrew er (kovan)when he was in pr 6 and he got A for his PSLE ;)

hi bishanmum, i am back. Went to Perth for biz trip, then extended 3 days myself to go round.

hi cymk23, hhhmm .. enrichment class and tuitions are exp !

hi daisy welcome back. How was ur trip, did u enjoy. when i went there many yr ago. the travelling time was terrible from 1 place to another.(place of interest)

ya agree with u. but no choice if really need it.

daisy,

Welcome back. Wow, you had a long trip, about a week or so? Which places did you visit in Perth?

cymk23,

Especially during this period of bad time, tried to negotiate with my son to stop some of his enrichments but he is very reluctant. He says he enjoys the lessons.

hi cymk23, bishanmum. Ya a week there. 4 days for work, 3 days went around. Went to Pinacles Desert with 4WD and sandboarding, Fremantle prison and market, whale watching (and yes, saw quite a number of whales but at a distance). Enjoyed the tours but not the weather and food.

Ya, big country, road travelling time is very long, 3 to 4 hours.

I hope my girl won't need tuition when she goes sec school.

Hi daisy,

I heard from some parents that their kids have no time to spare for tuition anymore once they reach secondary level. So you brought your girl along during your trip, did she enjoy?

Hi cymk23,

My boy has finished his last paper yesterday finally. How do you find your girls' compo so far after so many years with Learning Pt? I find that my boy seems couldn't score high marks for his compo every time even though his overall for English is quite good.

hi bishanmum

long time no see.haha. they dont score full for compo and compre. my eldest daughter she only got 30/40 for her compo if im not wrong and 74.5/95 for her paper.

Hi cymk23,

I see. My boy always scores around 15/20, I am wondering how to help him improve his compo. So from P4 onwards, compo is upon 40 instead of 20?

ya. ur boy mark is good liao. not like mine. if they can score more on compo i think i dont hv to keep thinking of how to improve their english marks.

hi mums,
would like to know whether sending kids to Math Olympiad Programmes is necessary? My son is doing ok in his math (if he do'nt make all those careless mistake), but thought whether those Olympiad prog. is needed to give him greater exposure.

Hi cymk23,

I think he is only average compared to his classmates who score 20/20.

Hi P3Mum,

Where is the Math Olympiad Programme conducted? My boy's school itself also has such programme conducted by outsider, is cheaper but don't know how good.

Hi cymk23,
I understood MathTeach do offer the course. Just got my son math result this year, the worst result so far for math since P1. I think I have to solve his carelessness problem. Any recommendation?

Hi cymk23,
he is in P3. He did not have tuition in math. I only try to coach him in those difficult question. Sometimes, I find him better than me. Just that he tends to make careless mistakes (& lazy to check). Once I pointed out that the answer is wrong, he is able to get it right the second time.

oh i c. my gals is they do everything themself. i usually dont bother about them. bec i hv got a tutor for them (maths & sci). younger daughter not so talented in maths. but still not bad around 80-85. i think careless is the most problem to kids. maybe u should try to give him a tutor since u also not very good with him maths. maybe if he got a tutor he wont loss point.

math olympaid is for children who are able to score well in maths. it trains them to think creatively. some children have it in them naturally. some children even if you train them, they cannot get it. my children's tutor does teach maths olympaid 1-to-1, she tried it on my girl but my girl takes very long to understand the 'shortcuts' to solving it. she still chooses to solve the questions the 'long way' so my girl is not talented for it.

Hi
I'm new here and found this forum v interesting.
I'm looking for a maths and science tutor for P3 next year around serangoon central. I wonder if 1-1 is suitable for him. He is weak in focussing and his results suffered quite a lot in this SA2. Think i better start when he is young. Any advise ?

nothing2do, it doesn't affect much, but if they can cope with higher chinese in pri sch, should encourage them to continue to take. they will hv 'advantage' in sec sch. if they take higher chinese in sec sch at O levels and pass, they can minus 2 points off the L1R5.

hi joyjoy,
thks. i heard pri sch also if u score A for HCL u'll get 1 or 2 marks added to the total score. my gal sch did not recomment her for HCL. due to her result dont hv band 1

Hi joyjoymum
Received the mail with thanks. Tutors are hotcakes at this point of time. No choice, if no tution, he won't listen to me and do assessment. Got to pay someone to do the job. If too much tuition, scare that he rely too much on tution and no self-drive. Mum worries too much!

aiyahmum, the tutor that is teaching my gal is very patient and makes learning fun. she does not believe in reliance on tuition and motivates my gal to be self-disciplined to do her work. she always tell my gal to set realistic targets and allocate time to achieve her goals. overall i find my gal not only improve in results, also improve in her time management and organisation skills. this tutor teach my gal how to plan her time, how to work hard and play hard. she's preparing my gal for P1 and she also tells my gal what to expect in school, and how to handle situations (my gal is very shy to ask questions, she taught my gal how to politely get the teacher's attention and how to ask politely).

Thanks Joyjoymum. Its wonderful to hear that your gal is learning from the tutor. I will most likely engage her too. I will talk to my boy. Occasionally, he refuse to go into tution class but when i tell him about the 1-1 home tution, he says No. wonder if I should hear him out.!?

mommies

any recommendation for school bags?

read about nivpak in another thread. Am also considering popular pop kids.

Any review on these 2 bags or other recommendations? thanks!

hi all....
happy.gif

i'm new here at singaporemotherhood...i'm SAHM wif two boys.I hope tat all the great mummies over here will guide me along... =)

I'm also looking for a chinese tutor but it is for my niece. S3 higher chinese at Pasir Ris. Anyone with tutor to recommend pls PM me the contact no. Thanks!

Hi mummies

Can check with you mums, is there a way to ensure the kids writing english compo with a proper flow.My gal lacks this area and some told me it will develop with age...But, am trying to find a way to help.thanks

Joy747, it can be taught and also through exposure (read more compos). Creative writing classes do teach them about proper flow with compo writing. I've seen the tutor go through it with my eldest gal. how to use connecting words, how to organise the compo, what type of information should go in which paragraph.

Joy's mum

Thanks.I will try to read up and see how best I can help dd.

She is too flowery in language and go on write and write and lost her focus...so cannot hit a higher score.She is quite stubborn also, cos she think she is a writer herself...and forgot that she is not writing a book...sigh...

Hi All

Anyone heard of Lewin education centre or RG chanel for English?Is it good?

Is there good holiday prog for english?

Thanks

Hi P6 mummies

Anyone going to loose sleep on wed night before the D day ? Anyone knows if there will be open house in ALL sec schools on thurs, fri or sat ?
Good luck to all !

Aiyahmum, 'Open House' is usually held in the middle of the year, before DSA selections so students and parents can go to the school to check out the school's niche areas, etc. 21st Nov is registration day. Which means everyone must report to their allocated sec sch to register and get your orientation package (booklist, uniform list, etc).

If you wish to appeal and change school, please do so immediately after getting the results else your chances will be very slim. You will still need to report to allocated school even though you are appealing (just in case appeal fails, your daughter has a place in the allocated school).

I'm KS mum. My gal is entering P1 next year but I've already checked out sec schools cos I want my gal to join a CCA tt will help her DSA into a good sec sch
happy.gif

hi joymum, from my understanding, getting in a sec sch thru DSA, the child must be very committed to the CCA. If the child is very good in study and can commit fully on CCA, should not be a problem. Plus the passion and interest in the CCA must be very strong or else the child would find it a stress and burden.

Morever, MOE always change rules ... :)

Joy's Mum
21 Nov is registration day (at choice of sec sch) but it is not to report to ALLOCATED sec sch. Results of allocation is on 18 Dec. Report to allocated sch is 20 Dec.

Besides CCA, sch fees also another consideration. Independent sch is $300 per mth.

aiyamum, open house alrdy over long ago. I went to a few of them and very impressed.

One question I have about IP - Integrated programe, eg. RV, Nanyang ... What happen if in the 4th year, the child feel that cannot cope with the syllabus and no confidence in A level ? There is no O level to take in the school. Unless go for private candidate but my colleague told me the syllabus covered in the school is different and the child would find difficult to even take the O level privately. How about if the child change mind, wants to go poly. No 'O' level, how to go poly ?

Anybody experience on this or any idea ? Thanks

Back