18 month old playgroup/childcare near Tiong Bahru area

spawning

Dearest Mummies,

My gal will turn 18 months this Dec. We're thinking of sending her to a half then full-day playgroup/childcare.

Any good recommendations near Tiong Bahru/Bk merah area? I heard Superland Montessori at Ganges Ave is good. Any story to share?

Thanks in advance!

-Herlin

Hi Herling

My boy is 2yrs n 4 mths old n we live at Tiong Bahru. He is currently attending the half day program at Arts Kidz at the Tiong Bahru Community Centre 2nd flr. They have a really great program that focuses on helping the child develop social and language skills through art and music (they have a suzuki method music teacher who teaches the kids violin and they even have yoga as part of their curriculum). My boy loves it there and the teachers r good (in my boys class there is 1 teacher who only speaks English, and 1 who speaks only mandarin). I am very particular about the teacher's accent and the teachers there speak very proper English and Mandarin. The students there are mainly from the expat community.

I also like the fact that the place is well ventilated and has lots of natural light, they only use fans n not air con. I was really worried that my boy wld keep falling sick (like my friend's child) once he starts school (bcos of the poor ventilation in air conditioned class rooms) but since he started school a few months ago he has never been sick.

Another plus point about the school is that they provide the kids lunch b4 u pick them up, even for the half day prog. They have an in house chef who cooks lunch for the kids so they can control the quality of the food provided to out kids and they encourage the kids to learn to self feed.

Go check the place out for yourself.

Hi Herlin,
i was also recommended by my colleague for Superland, have you check out the school?

Will be checking out Arts Kidz too!

Hi ZRY's mummy,

Just like to share this unquie preschool in Tiong Bahru CC named Art Kidz Preschool. They serve very interesting programs like violin(once a week), yoga(once a week), speech and drama, mandarin/japanese and so on. Their environment is in a CC, its peaceful and quiet. Their teachers are well trained(from my opinion)

I am planning to send my boy to this CC but currently they are having half day 9 to 12 noon and only having 9 to 330pm as their full day.

I have checked with them, they can extend their operating hours to 6.30pm if they have enough student.

If you need their brochure of the school and the profile of the teachers, i can send to you, just drop me a PM.

And also they are having a 50% discount on registration and $200 off monthly fee for registeration before June 2009.

thanks for the recommendation on art kidz. am looking for a playgroup ard this area for sometime. finally something new
happy.gif

Arts Kidz charging $950 for full day from 9.30 to 3.30. I find it too ex, any mummies have other recommendations for childcare at tiong bahru area?

There's a few but you may want to call and ask if there are vacancies, and view the place.

Moral @ Blk 18, Jalan Membina, Level 3
Bambini Montessori @ Blk 131 Kim Tian Road (Opening soon)
My First Skool (formerly known as NTUC childcare) @ Blk 96 Henderson Road

I know these 3 have full day childcare facilities. For 3 hr playgroup ones, there are quite a number.

Hope this helps

Hi

Just like to check anybody have any feedback on Cambridge Child development at near Cresent's Girls - Belverder RD?

hi vivian
happy.gif
i would like to know more abt arts kidz.. could you share the brochure with me?

Thanks alot in advance..

Hi sierra, thanks for the info. i have quite a handful of names now (beyond tiong bahru), but dono if they are good.

hi beebee, me too, am asking around for opinion and will be viewing some of them slowly. i only know that cambridge child @ belverder is charging $1K for full day.

winky.. i went to the Cambridge.. Personally, dun think it's worth that amt of money.. :| i prefer Odyssey down the road.
happy.gif

This Arts Kidz is quite interesting.. there is even volin classes..
happy.gif
I think it will suit my toddler better than formal school.
happy.gif
Will visit the school before I commit..
happy.gif

Hi Jgal, thanks for shareing. Anyway, saw from mcys website, Odyseey is charging $1500 per mth for full day, i find it too ex.

I call up Bambini Montessori, the school is opening on 1st July. Only the toddler group will start on 24 June for orientation. Ratio 1:5. So far 7 registered students.

Its a new school, not branch out. Teachers are local, trained by a Australian trainer.

After subsidy, $600 for full day and $500 for half day.

Only on air-con during nap time.

Hi, im also interested for childcare around tiong bahru area. My kid turning 2 soon, so want her to learn to miggle with other kids. Im interested in Arts Kidz, how much is 1/2? have subsidy? thanks

i very scare if it is a new school..

You know hor.. my office has a childcare.. used to be run Learning Vision until last year and MMI took over the running.
During the first few mths under the new mgmt, it was chaos. Children are not fed properly and all nap hungry. Anyway, i not going to take my chances on new MMI schools :p.

Hi Jgal

I have the same sentiments. My gal attention span is rather short unless the teachers can use interesting methods to catch her attention and the teachers are lively enough. My gal is definitely not suitable for typical classroom sit down and learn ABC kind of environment.

I have registered her for Arts Kidz. The principal is nice and euthusiastic about childhood education. She has years of experience with an international school and is a former trainer for pre-school teachers.

Do drop by the school to take a look.

Seem like MMI standards are not consistent. I know SK's MMI has very negative feedback. That is why i dare not enrol my gal in one of the nearby MMI although the visit to the school is rather pleasant. Somehow, the confidence is not there.

If i am not wrong, MMI is more academically-driven. And it probably a better school for K1/K2 kids.

I heard from my colleagues that their children have problem in Primary school after attending K1/K2 in learning vision....
happy.gif
When my gal is 5, i will put her to MMI or PAP.. so that it will be smoother transition to Primary school.
happy.gif

If i am not wrong, MMI is more academically-driven. And it probably a better school for K1/K2 kids.

I heard from my colleagues that their children have problem in Primary school after attending K1/K2 in learning vision....
happy.gif
When my gal is 5, i will put her to MMI or PAP.. so that it will be smoother transition to Primary school.
happy.gif

hi mumbebes,

think Artz kids 1/2 day is charging $850 per mth. judging from its operating hours, don't think there's any subsidy since mcys requires childcare hours be at least 7am-7pm.

Hi, i went for the bambini montessori open house, environments seems quite ok, it has both air con and fan. heard that when one of the kid is sick, then they will use fan instead. the teachers and prinicipal both have 6 to 13 yrs of experience respectively.

But, for me, as this is the first time i went to a childcare open house, so i think i will want to compare a few more before i decide.

i went to superland, the place is big.

am considering this place, any comments on the teaching or teachers from mummies please?

Winky

So do you mean there is no subsidy for Artz Kids? I will have a issue with the timing cos can only fetch my boy after work at abt 6pm. Btw where is superland?

Btw i will be going down to Cambridge to take look. Understand that that fees for toddler will be abt $720 after subisdy for full day. Actually a few of my neighbours children are there and so far they are quite happy. So no bad feedback from them yet.

Hi

what about Moral education child care (Membina) at opposite tiong bahru plaza, any one any comments on that?

Hi beebee, i didnt artz kids to ask, but i dont think have subsidy leh.. timing also no good for me too, so didnt consider that. also, its over budget for me.

Superland is inside jalan basar town council at grange ave.

Hi bee bee there is no subsidy for arts kidz as they are moe registered. but if u registered by June registration will be 50% off ($250) and $200 off per month ($750) for local parentsI was told by the admin officer we will extend their operating hours from 930 am to 6pm to help out the local working parents

I was also considering to put my son at Moral education child care (Membina) when he is 2 yr old, reason being its v near to my house and more convenient for my mil bring him there and back. The facilities there are old, and heard that the principal is nt so frdly, but the teachers seems ok. They dun really do alot of teaching, but more of childcare. Fee wise, its only $250 (after subsidy) per mth for full time whole day program.

Another 2 places that I am also considering is :
1) Blk 94 Henderson road (My first Skool)
2) Bambini montessori at Kim Tian Rd

Yes i did call up moral education wanting to take a look at their premises but the principal doesn't sound very friendly and seem to discourage me from going. She mentioned that they have a long waiting list and very slim chance even if i want to register my boy in yr 2010. So i guess i can forget abt this childcare centre.

bad reflection on moral education. but i emailed the principal, she replied quite promptly.

emailed to superland too, no reply at all. they dont seem to check email..

hi there, i am oso looking for the playgroup for my 2 years old son...so far me n my husband go to view the cc below,
1) cherie heart merryland - out of our list coz poor environment,too many student and china teacher using cane to teach. 500-600 per month (without subsidy)

2) moral membina - out of our list too coz basic environment, no outdoor playground, noisy and too many student too but is cheap just 550 per month(without subsidy yet),

3)oddysey - we love the environment,good teacher ratio 1 to 4 only but we hate the fees which is 1600 per month(without subsidy),

4)art kidz - so so to us, natural vent and light is good but outdoor playground in on a slope and they insist to open until 6pm only and just allow parent to let their kids sleep on YOGA MAT(cant be others like mattress coz they said they dun hav place to keep the mattress, sound funny), 950 per month(without subsidy)

5)little skol house in pearl bank - so so too, transport issue coz need to travel by mrt or bus and walk to the cc, fully aircond, and too small classroom, 910 per month(without subsidy)

6)little skol house in sgh(cant go in coz they hav a case of hfmd then dun allow any visitor),

7)NTUC(my first skol)- environment ok only, fully aircond too and bad toilet facility, no outdoor playground, 588 per month (without subsidy)

8)superland(just a peep coz is nap time, we not allow to go in)- feel quite ok, quite near our house. but still need to hav a look

9) going to view bambini monstessori and sparkletots at alexandra,

anyone enrol kids to superland monstessori?

hi zhe zhe,

me too, keen to visit those cc that u mentioned but ultimately thought finding one within walking distance will be better. So not much choice. i visited moral membina and superland. I perfer superland cause the place is big and clean, and they say they always keep the windows open even when on air-con. i visited on a saturday which they allow me to view the place. u may wish to try on a sat. I have enrolled for my girl for next year playgroup. For this year, they are full. if i dont recall wrongly, they only take in one child a class each month.

For moral membina, think the cc is partly sponsored by some foundation and they do have social worker referred students, so quite cheap. they have indoor gym and computer room. But next year already on waiting list.

Just a bit info for other mummies. hope these helps.

Cloubhappy : my gal is 16mths.. I call them up on 1 Jul. The administrator told me, they are open for registration this mth for 2010 classes.

After the registration close, then they will decide by Sept how many classes they will be having in Jan 2010. So if you are keen, you can sending your application. They will refund you the deposit if there is no class available.

Jgal

Have you went down to Lorna Whiston to take a look? how much is the fees?
Any comments abt this school, i am interested to take a look too

Here's the fee info they provided to me.

Half-Day programme (morning) is charged at $870, Half-Day programme (afternoon) is charged at $800, and Full-day programme is charged at $1350 (all before GST & government subsidy) per month.

.. I have not been there yet , even though it quite near my place.. hahaha ... I just send in the application just in case i take too long to registered my gal and missed the opportunity.

Jgal

So the pricing is on the high side as well. It's abt the same as Pat's schoolhouse.
But would like to know more feedback and comments abt Lorna Whiston lor.

So far, i heard from 1 mummy that the toys there are abit old after visiting the school.. Other than that, no complaints from mummies who sent their children with regards to their curriculum.
The teacher pupil ratio is 1:6 and only 12 pupils per class.That's probably why it's kind expensive but still cheaper than odyssey. I am also considering Chiltern House which is for > 3 yrs, pricing is similiar to lorna whiston.. and the focus too is on language.

BTW , what are the ratio for the other CC ?

Back