Taking care of newborn w/o CL

Ellin

Hi,

Due to the number of rooms constraint in my parents' house. I cannot hire confinement lady to take care of newborn.

Does anyone tried taking care of a newborn without any CL? Can this be done just the daddy and mummy around?

Any advice for experienced mummies?

Hi,

It is possible to do confinement without CL. However, family support would b impt.

I mean, from your post, u wld be living with your parents. Hence, wld your parents and/or DH b helping out? ie cook for u, take care of d baby 4 u while u rest?

I didnt have a CL, n DH was d one who cooked my confinement meals. My mom wld come over 2 my place in d morn 2 help look after LO while I rest. I only wake up 2 feed my LO or take my meals. My mom will go home after dinner. I will take care of LO @ night or if DH is not too tired he will tell me 2 sleep while he take charge. But since I m breastfeeding, I did most of d night "duties" so DH can rest.

It wld b gd if u could discuss options wif your parents & DH. As expectations may b different n so may lead 2 unhappiness, which u wld wanna avoid while on confinement since new moms tend 2 have mood swings.

Hi,

It is possible to do confinement without CL. However, family support would b impt.

I mean, from your post, u wld be living with your parents. Hence, wld your parents and/or DH b helping out? ie cook for u, take care of d baby 4 u while u rest?

I didnt have a CL, n DH was d one who cooked my confinement meals. My mom wld come over 2 my place in d morn 2 help look after LO while I rest. I only wake up 2 feed my LO or take my meals. My mom will go home after dinner. I will take care of LO @ night or if DH is not too tired he will tell me 2 sleep while he take charge. But since I m breastfeeding, I did most of d night "duties" so DH can rest.

It wld b gd if u could discuss options wif your parents & DH. As expectations may b different n so may lead 2 unhappiness, which u wld wanna avoid while on confinement since new moms tend 2 have mood swings.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me, tiggerpooh.

I doubt my parents can help me as they need to work on weekdays. I hope my mum can help me in the weekends.

I don't know whether by sharing my maternity leave with my hubby does it help thou. I heard can share 2 weeks of our ML with the hubby right? Then after 2 weeks I will be on my own.

Also thinking to order confinement meals as well since my hubby don't know how to cook.

I just hope I can manage throughout that one month.

Hi Ellin,

I don't have a CL too but my aunt helped me with the confinement food - my hubby bought the ingredients beforehand so she can cook.
Will be helpful if your hubby is on leave to take care of you and baby so you can rest well.. my hubby was on leave too- he helped to look after baby, and also boiled water (herbs) for my showers and drinks, change baby diapers, etc.. :D
If no choice then order confinement food is a good idea..

I did my own confinement for #2. Catered confinement food from Natal Essentials, did everything else myself. Hubby stayed home for the 1st week to help, using his paternal leave. I took my 16 weeks maternity leave for myself, did not share.
To me, it's doable. But then, I'm not bothered about doing housework or washing. I just do whatever needs to be done. Being happy is more important. I had more freedom and felt happier when I did my own confinement.

@Ellin Since your parents r wking n u wld need your meals, u may wanna consider catering.

Alternative is find out fr those Confinement Agencies if they have CL dat does day work n return home after certain hours.

Hi Ellin,

I don't have a CL too but my aunt helped me with the confinement food - my hubby bought the ingredients beforehand so she can cook.
Will be helpful if your hubby is on leave to take care of you and baby so you can rest well.. my hubby was on leave too- he helped to look after baby, and also boiled water (herbs) for my showers and drinks, change baby diapers, etc.. :D
If no choice then order confinement food is a good idea..
Yah... looking for nice confinement food caterer now. Have many research to do now.

I did my own confinement for #2. Catered confinement food from Natal Essentials, did everything else myself. Hubby stayed home for the 1st week to help, using his paternal leave. I took my 16 weeks maternity leave for myself, did not share.
To me, it's doable. But then, I'm not bothered about doing housework or washing. I just do whatever needs to be done. Being happy is more important. I had more freedom and felt happier when I did my own confinement.
I shall look at the menu at Natal Essentials. Thanks!

@Ellin Since your parents r wking n u wld need your meals, u may wanna consider catering.

Alternative is find out fr those Confinement Agencies if they have CL dat does day work n return home after certain hours.
Yah agree. Should also look for CL that work only on the day.

It's doable! But your hb must be very hands on. I didn't have any CL or parents / in-laws' help for my 3 kids as I prefer not to be nagged over things as I didn't follow confinement practices either. For the first baby hb helped the first week at home and then he took over the baby and chores at night when he went back to work. For #2 and #3 i was more experienced by then so i did the caring myself and hb looked after the older kids.

Hi Ellin,
It is possible to do without a CL. For me, I had a CL but she only does cooking and washing of my baby's clothes. To be honest I wasn't going to hire a CL but I needed someone to cook for me and hubby. My hubby and I were very hands-on with our baby so we didn't need the CL to care for baby at all. In the end, my CL complained very bored working for me :confused:
So if you have someone to cook your meals or you order tingkat then no need a CL. Also I hope your hubby is hands-on with the baby so you get to rest as well. If no help from anyone then better you hire a CL so you can relax cause caring for a newborn is not easy.

Hi Ellin,
It is possible to do without a CL. For me, I had a CL but she only does cooking and washing of my baby's clothes. To be honest I wasn't going to hire a CL but I needed someone to cook for me and hubby. My hubby and I were very hands-on with our baby so we didn't need the CL to care for baby at all. In the end, my CL complained very bored working for me :confused:
So if you have someone to cook your meals or you order tingkat then no need a CL. Also I hope your hubby is hands-on with the baby so you get to rest as well. If no help from anyone then better you hire a CL so you can relax cause caring for a newborn is not easy.
Thanks, Elm!

I think my hubby will help me out. I think.

Does any mummies know is it ok not to have confinement food for the first month?

I heard eating wine and ginger dishes will increase the jaundice level of the baby through breastfeed.

Does any mummies know is it ok not to have confinement food for the first month?

I heard eating wine and ginger dishes will increase the jaundice level of the baby through breastfeed.
The answer to your question depends on you and what you believe in. Some people feel the confinement period is very important for recovery from childbirth and some don't.
For me, everything in moderation and also do what is most comfortable for you. If you have people cooking those yummy food for you then why not? Just rest and enjoy those food. But if you have trouble getting those specific foods then just skip them and at least try to eat freshly cooked food.
I took ginger dishes during my confinement but in moderation, so not too much. I didn't take wine as I didn't feel comfortable consuming it because I was breastfeeding my baby.

The answer to your question depends on you and what you believe in. Some people feel the confinement period is very important for recovery from childbirth and some don't.
For me, everything in moderation and also do what is most comfortable for you. If you have people cooking those yummy food for you then why not? Just rest and enjoy those food. But if you have trouble getting those specific foods then just skip them and at least try to eat freshly cooked food.
I took ginger dishes during my confinement but in moderation, so not too much. I didn't take wine as I didn't feel comfortable consuming it because I was breastfeeding my baby.
I want to breastfeed my baby and my mum also told me don't take too much ginger but my MIL told me can take those fermented rice wine.

Back