Holiday with small kids - where is good?

sinnyy

Can anyone recommend an easy and stress free country/place to visit (other than spore) which is easy, and stress free and not too long distance (not more than 4 hr travel preferably).....Thanks...

Penang? About an hr + 15 mins flight.
Brought my DD to Penang in Aug. Engaged transport services to drive us around.

Otherwise some relaxing resorts like bali? Or you can do a road trips to Malacca or KL.

diamonfericia: it is generally safe there? (penang)
did u use the hotel's recommended transport?
which hotel did you stay in..?

diamonfericia: it is generally safe there? (penang)
did u use the hotel's recommended transport?
which hotel did you stay in..?

I would say Penang is safer than Johor or rather KL these day. Penang change a lot compared to the earlier days of Penang.

It was my first trip there though and I find the people there quite friendly and nice. More like us as compared in JB.

I stayed in Northam all suites hotel penang, it's a all suites hotel with living area, room and jacuzzi bathtub. Paid about less than $150/night.

I don't recommend this hotel because it's quite far from Georgetown where all the places of interest are. (Eg: Love lanes, famous chendol stall). It's quite near to persiaran gurney (about 15 mins walk) to Gurney Paragon where you can find H&M, Kate spade, cinema & etc...

Will share the contact if you need to engage transport service.

I would say Penang is safer than Johor or rather KL these day. Penang change a lot compared to the earlier days of Penang.

It was my first trip there though and I find the people there quite friendly and nice. More like us as compared in JB.

I stayed in Northam all suites hotel penang, it's a all suites hotel with living area, room and jacuzzi bathtub. Paid about less than $150/night.

I don't recommend this hotel because it's quite far from Georgetown where all the places of interest are. (Eg: Love lanes, famous chendol stall). It's quite near to persiaran gurney (about 15 mins walk) to Gurney Paragon where you can find H&M, Kate spade, cinema & etc...

Will share the contact if you need to engage transport service.

sorry to ride on, the driver will bring you around whole day or? how many days u stay at Penang? if without driver is easy to hang around with the kid?

sorry to ride on, the driver will bring you around whole day or? how many days u stay at Penang? if without driver is easy to hang around with the kid?

It's a 3D2N stay.

1st day the driver fetch us from airport then we tour for 5 hours, thereafter checking-in hotel.
2nd day, he came to fetch us at 9am all the way till 5pm
3rd day, I engaged him to send us to airport.

The transport is a mini van that can accommodate about 6-8 person.
https://www.google.com.sg/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U3GIjKfR1d8/U8KNT_K-8yI/AAAAAAAAIYs/y5HsMJq0AsA/s1600/2014-01-24%2B15.00.33.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ukwaenterprisetmnnegarapenang.blogspot.com/p/transport-chartered-transfer.html&h=689&w=1024&tbnid=8cIeBpsWBadwdM:&docid=752XTwIqNLhPQM&ei=kuxwVqecCYq6uATAqKqABg&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwinraSuyd_JAhUKHY4KHUCUCmAQMwgeKAQwBA

The transport company will provide you a list of places of interest. You can arrange and let them know where you wanna go.

My colleagues went without driver, and there's really a lot of walking. I mean its good to stroll along but the weather didn't allow us.

It's a 3D2N stay.

1st day the driver fetch us from airport then we tour for 5 hours, thereafter checking-in hotel.
2nd day, he came to fetch us at 9am all the way till 5pm
3rd day, I engaged him to send us to airport.

The transport is a mini van that can accommodate about 6-8 person.
https://www.google.com.sg/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U3GIjKfR1d8/U8KNT_K-8yI/AAAAAAAAIYs/y5HsMJq0AsA/s1600/2014-01-24%2B15.00.33.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ukwaenterprisetmnnegarapenang.blogspot.com/p/transport-chartered-transfer.html&h=689&w=1024&tbnid=8cIeBpsWBadwdM:&docid=752XTwIqNLhPQM&ei=kuxwVqecCYq6uATAqKqABg&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwinraSuyd_JAhUKHY4KHUCUCmAQMwgeKAQwBA

The transport company will provide you a list of places of interest. You can arrange and let them know where you wanna go.

My colleagues went without driver, and there's really a lot of walking. I mean its good to stroll along but the weather didn't allow us.
thank you for the great info.

diamondfericia: sounds very interesting. And even the chendol sounds sooo tempting!

I think it makes a lot of difference in terms of sightseeing and convenience with your driver w/transport..like a personal tour guide can take you around...what was ur itinerary?

Can I also have the name and contact of your driver?

Last edited:
Anyone else has other countries to recommend?

hello :) Brought my toddler girl (who was 11 months old at the time of travel) to Perth for a week. It went better than I expected. I chose Perth due to the cold climate (it was mild winter) and we had a rental car. Basically, having a stroller in the car was useful as we could use it as and when. During winter, the days are short... perfect for babies (no shopping for us as malls close early and babies sleep early anyways). To play safe, I opt for SQ instead of budget airlines. Would say SQ takes good care of young families.. during meal service, they would offer 1 parent to eat first and warm up a 2nd meal for the other parents. its impossible for both parents to eat with a toddler in two (you know what i mean).

Since my trip last year went well, I'm going to Perth again this year (just before my girl turns 2). But some adjustments to the itinerary is to reside in a farmstay for 2 nights as she is of good age to interact with young animals and so on. The flight is about 5 hours (a little longer than what you're looking for). but if u want to have some 'winter' feel in ang moh country, Perth may be a good choice :)

I bring my girl to Taiwan when she is 10mths old. Taipei can self travel. I booked a car. Driver cum guide. Planned a few places of interest to visit. Very friendly country.

mawby84: are there malls there...understand they all close v. early...

yes there's a few mega mall in Perth and offer foc parking. THe one which I frequent is 'Garden City SHopping Centre', which is around the size of vivocity. If you're keen, there's an outlet mall in Perth city as well. Actually closing early may not be bad, I chose apartment stays for accommodation which comes with fully equipped kitchens so that I could prepare dinner and porridge (for next morning) for my toddler.

Actually, I find that we can travel 2 any where we want.

It really depends on what u want? N nowadays u can choose those AirBnB apartments so u can cook.

Australia has a lot of those service apartments too that u can consider.

Melbourne is also a good option. More interesting than Perth IMO.

Japan is also good, I went Fukuoka with my baby girl and it was really baby friendly and also not as ex as Tokyo.

By the way, how do you guys manage ears block on take off and landing? Previously, I just latched my girl but now that she is bigger, I am wondering what if she doesn't want to drink water?

Is Taipei or Hong Kong nice and easy to move about? I am feeling bit stressed out just the thought about travelling...lol

Piglet02" Where did you stay? How much did your personal driver charge u...is it taxi/car or MPV?

Yes, the one at Bintan & Cherating. Went to Cherating twice, actually. Bintan is rather small where every location is within walking distance & Cherating is the opposite. Both more or less the same. Only that Bintan has snorkeling & it's nearer to Singapore so save on the travelling time. There is one in Phuket & Bali too. Did explore those in China & Japan but flight going there is just insane. No direct flight & distance from the airport is really a little too far. With young kids, it's good to select those with mini club med as they will have activities for them while you can enjoy yourself too.

fruitsweets: the other time i enquired the rates abt $800+ a per pax? it is all inclusive, stay and all meals? i thot was quite steep..

are your kids ok with strangers (the club med G.O. team members) & other kids (from other families around the world)? if they are, mini club med activities will be fun to them. they even get to perform at night. a range of activities are line up for them actually. You can check the club med website

fruitysweets: oic, i think they should be fine with others if i am around...have u been to their bintan one?

Bintan club Med is good . Been there once..Every night there's quality entertainment... Food all day. Eat till fat fat.. Kids have their own entertainment too..

srjk: I think bintan is a great alternative if dun wan to tired onself out with longer trips...hehe..only thing is I am motion sickness to boats...

fruitysweets: oic, i think they should be fine with others if i am around...have u been to their bintan one?
but u r not allowed to "follow" the kids around.

having start off my 1st club med at cherating, I don't quite like bintan if compared. it's just too small but it's a good place to lazy around. and it's the nearest to sg.

the purpose is for the parents to enjoy themselves too. u can "visit" them as & when u like since they will be everywhere. should be ok to leave them with the GO, no worries. if not, u will not b able to do a lot of activities which ur kids may not b able to do.

I just came back from Hong Kong and it is so tiring moving around there. Maybe coz I am pregnant. I think Taiwan is a better place for traveling with kids. Don't like Hong Kong.

Me too came back from Hong Kong with my 14 months old. Hong Kong is not baby friendly. Narrow walkways which are not accessible for strollers. Lots of strength needed to lift stroller up & down the stairs.

mistycloud and xuanyce: Did u visit disneyland and other places of interests? Are the q's there long? I heard they have long q's so quite afraid of going there...I hate q's.

i just went to royal caribbean in Feb. you have to pay for internet. And it is quite expensive.
overall, it is a good place for family and elderly. superb service!

DD was 3 when we went 2 Taiwan.

It was a family trip but i think she was too young 2 know where she was. However, when u show her pictures of trips taken, she can tell u wat we did. D video DH made also helps.

We did went up 2 Alishan, n even woke up early 2 c d sun rise. DD was in d hotel wif my parents, so when she c d photos, she will tell us dat we had forgotten 2 bring her.... :p

Hence, I wld conclude dat my experience there was gd.

tiggerpooh: taiwan sporean no need visa but Indo helpers need rite? How do we apply for visa...online? or can tour company do for us everything including visa applications?

@sinnyy: Sorry... I have been away n just gotten back.

I hope u have been able 2 apply visa 4 your helper? Otherwise, I m sure d tour agency co shld b able 2 render some assistance.

Any other nice countries for visiting? Interestin, fun, good weather and not too overly expensive..?

@sinnyy

so did u manage 2 settle your helper's visa @ d tour agency?

4 me, I have brought my gal 2 Europe, Australia, Bangkok, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

She loves Europe & Australia, mainly due 2 d weather.

This year, we plan 2 go back 2 Australia again. What about u?

@sinnyy Think if u r just going HK, den visa is not required 4 indonesian. Frankly, I didnt really enjoy my time there in HK Disney. Mayb cos of d weather (it was hot since i was there in May), or d pple.... Meals r rushed.... even thu we were not there during "peak" hours. N since my gal is a slow eater, we were quite stressed out.

If your intent is 2 go Disneyland, try not 2 go during d school hols. Otherwise, a lot of time is spent queuing 4 rides or photo taking.

Hello, will be appreciated if anyone can adv the trip to Tokyo or other part of Japan, other that Disneyland any place children (6 yo) will enjoy?

Back