Advice needed from you

s0me0ne

Dear all,

I am using this channel to pour out the knots in my heart. Hope you do not mind. Plus I do welcome advice :)

My wife and I both comes from families with their own set of issues. Both sides parents have their own "unique" set of theories and ways to lead life. Of course my wife and I have our own set of principles that are in conflict with them.

In 2014, due to my my-then-gf's father's protectiveness over my-then-gf's sis, I was chased out of the house during CNY, cause he felt that her younger daughter was humiliated in front of outsiders. Out of disappointment, my-then-gf and I decided to ROM, so we could apply for a flat. So both side parents were given last min notice on our ROM, and it was completed within 2 months. Of cuz lots of unhappiness with our parents, cause to them this is a big matter that should discuss with them.

To my side of the family, before our ROM, my mum (claimed to be very modern herself) told us that we need not have any wedding dinner, just a simple dinner with some relative representative is enough. She even suggest we can save that money for a long honeymoon. We were awe by that and proceed on to ROM. However, after the ROM, she said we should have a grand wedding dinner to inform others (Relatives, friends, parents friends and working partners, etc). We were both shocked by that and brought what she said before that was different. She replied by saying she never say or promise such a thing as no need a grand wedding dinner. my sis even add on saying my mum being so traditional, won't suggest such a thing. In the end, my wife gave in cause I am the only son in the family. As expected, the whole planning was a rough one, with my mum compiling a list of traditions (Which we suspect is a rojak of Malaysian and Taiwan tradition) which even shock the bridal shop. We had many arguments and disagreements that damaged our respect for her. In summary, she just want "face" and won't care about other things. My sis add on to say wedding is not for couples but to notify people that we are married.

In 2016, the whole wedding was successful and guests were happy except us. We planned and managed the whole wedding itinerary ourselves but with my mum forcing her way here and there which cause lot's of unhappiness. She even complained that my wife speech was longer than mine, the video portion was longer than mine. what can she expect from her out-spoken DIL? I am more of the quiet and gentle type of guy, but i guess the "face" issue blinds her greatly.

Nonetheless, we decided to stay with her till our flat arriving. My mum was still never happy about my wife, we suspect is because we do not plan to have a kid this early until we are more financially stable. All this while, my mum has been flipping the things she said, demanding things last minute despite us asking her to let us know in advance (cause my wife and I usually plan our day early), kept insisting that we spend more time with my in-law side, 101 things about us spending more time with our circle of friends than at home. We were both disappointed as we have been telling her my wife has been busy with clearing shit and fire fighting at work. n

Recently, i had an argument with my wife and my attitude was really bad till she decided to move back. My mum was disappointed with my wife not informing her and commented why we put such an act when the new year is coming. And even commented we did this on purpose so she wont have a good year, etc. Whenever she start her nagging, she will bring up the past things that she was not happy with, however, when we brought up some past examples, she will snap at us for bring up the past.

I am really troubled being in the middle. there have been more nasty stuff my mum said which i have not share with my wife. Else it will be harder for me to convince my wife to return home for CNY. I feel if my mum cannot let go of the past, it will be hard for us to continue staying with her :(

I think some moms have problems with DILs because they fear losing their one and only precious son to "another woman". She fears that you will no longer love her and cherish her now that you have a wife. Do look back on your own behavior.. has she any reason to be worried?

What I think you need to do is to show her and reassure her that you love her just as much as before but that the 2 ladies really need to get along. Or it is tearing you apart and you are feeling depressed etc all the time. She is your mom after all.Talk to her nicely and patiently. Give her some time to see the error of this approach. She might slowly come around. Don't expect a big change but maybe less hard on you.

@adhd.dad

That is what i thought initially. Time to time we try to give both my parents attention like initiating places to bring them go eat. However, was turned down most of the time with her giving reason like tired or no wanna wait for dad to end work.

There was once when we offered to fetch her back from the airport when she is back from her Taiwan trip on a late night flight. There was a slight Jam on the way, so we called to check where she was just to plan our route whether to pick her up directly or wait for her. However, she snapped at us for rushing her. In the end, we chose to wait in the car for a slight nap, as we still have work next day and we can drive over to pick her up without her walking to far to the T2 carpark. She commented why we not outside the gate waiting for her.

We also tried to offer weekend time with her and wish to plan in advance, and it always ended up with why pestering her for an answer if she want she will ask us. After that she will nag at us for not giving her time or always not around for her to communicate (she left home for work early and we usually come home late due to work). In addition, she prefers to ask us f2f instead of call and whatsapp.

I understand i will become defensive whenever she say nasty things about my wife. One thorn in my heart is she commented why i choose a wife like this, should find someone gentle and obedient. I find someone i love and want to be with for life and not a maid for her. My wife does help her with some chores whenever she has gathering (mind you she loves gatherings). She expects everyone to help her whenever she wish to hold any gatherings without caring about whether we have any other things on. Anything else is unimportant to her.

I know it is bad for me, however, I do wish she treasure and spend more time with my dad instead of focusing on the the opinion of others. It will be her husband that will company her the remaining of her life. My wife has been encouraging me to forgive her and be filial. Unfortunately, I feel i am at my limit where she does not bother about us except things that concern her.

Talking to her nicely only works for a while, then she will use your words against you with twisted intention. Like my wife left home after we quarrel, she feels is we put up an act to affect her new year mood. Or we are always having gatherings with friends, don't know what bad things they taught us and these are decent friends where the bond is strong. While usually my mum friends are those drinking type, which is kinda hi-bye.

There was once before my marriage, after representing my mum to attend her late godma 49 days ritual, i met an accident while driving back. I was hit behind by a driver on drugs. Her main concern was not about me, she insisted i go to the car dealers with her and commented why i attend the full ritual. My wife who was my buddy back then was so worried about me and wanna me go hospital to check, she was so angry with my mum for her lack of concern. Though it was something in the past, but all these are bit and piece of respect broken off the relationship.

Well, then that's odd. I have no idea what else to add since outsiders won't know the complex workings of your family built up from decades of interactions.

@adhd.dad

Haha ya, when young, I see my mum is a strong independent woman. As i grow up, i see more flaws in her - not meaning what she said, blame others for things go wrong, 3-mins attitude in the things she wanna do, weird logic just to get her way.

Once, i was planning to go pasir ris NTUC chalet from our home at Tampines. She ask if can on the way bring my sis to her rental flat (they rent a flat so my sis can reduce the travel time when going NTU, despite my objection) in woodlands :eek: i was like since when woodlands in on the way from Tampines to Pasir Ris?

I helped my my FIL at times with his business, and my mum commented why i help him? before that my wife and I have been encouraging her to start a business, since she doesnt like her job and she has the network. In addition, we can help her. But she day too tiring and she doesn't want. Since she doesn't want, why stop us from helping my FIL? He is part of my family too. My mum always have this mindset of guy side and girl side, and draw lines here and there. She even say my wife is married to our family, why she kept going back to her side (which isn't true and what's wrong with her visiting her parents?)

Once we suggested having a combined main table for our wedding where both sides family can interact and show the union of 2 families. She rejected saying traditional customs cannot have 2 families to sit at a main table even when we told her Malaysia has this trend and Singapore also starting to see such trend. Later when planning for my sis wedding, she suggested to my sis to have both families (my sis and her fiance's) to share a main table as now it is trending. I was like o_O and ask her that time i suggest you say tradition don't allow and now you suggest to sis saying it is trendy. She couldn't reply me

So i have been troubled not sure what she wants. Attention or "Face"

You mum sounds juz like my mum. Luckily i have more siblings. So whenever she kicks a big fuss tats unreasonable, all siblings wld be informed of wat happened and we will shoot back. Another sister will sit down and analyse with her too.
Not sure how close are u with your sis, but u may wanna talk to her n make her understand so tat she can back u up

Unless u stop patronising your mom, your mom has no reason to think she is doing wrong, and has no reason to change.

Your wife will get frustrated with your inaction, mommy's boy comes to mind.
High chance ... things will fall apart.

Do the maths

@lynx_sea

I am not close with my sis, she has her own attitude and self-center-ness like my mum. As i have mentioned she tried to be a mediator for my mum by saying the wedding is not for couples but to inform everyone we are married. So basically, it is not about how the couples want the wedding to be. As long as it is not affecting her, she doesn't feel the hurt that my wife and I are going through

@triple70

On one hand i do wanna be filial, however, i do have my limits of toleration especially when she is saying nasty things about my wife, my in laws and friends. So i will give her my last straw, if she is unable to put down the past and work things out together then i will move out to join my wife

Have a gd talk with your mum (U are drowning already). Either she gains a daughter in law or lose a dil and son. Hope she understands. if your mum loves you, she wldnt wanna see u sandwiched. On the other hand, give her all due respect and do all that has to or need to be done. At least you are not guilty and done your best already. Good luck

@lynx_sea

Yes I will have a good chat with her and we will see. I am prepared to face the worse though. Just hope she will see that what matters most is not the 'face' but the people around her. She is too affected by how others see her and wanna portray a false image to others and ignoring all our feelings. People ain't blind, they just do not wanna upset her by telling her the truth.

Bro, no matter what your mom has done.. take a step back and think about your plan. Don't be so hot headed.

Think for a moment... if your son said those words about you.. how will you feel after being his dad for 20+ years? It is heart-breaking. I am sure there is something behind all this unhappiness. Insecurity can present itself in many ways... or maybe she and your wife simply need to try and get a long better.

But don't make your own mom your enemy. She had to sacrifice a lot for you. I know... and many others here know... the pains of being a parent.

@adhd.dad

I understand where you coming from. I have to agree our parents went through a lot to bring us up. It is this thought that my wife and I have that made us stay with her till our house arrive. There's no dummy guides for parents and every parent went though the learning curve. My wife tried to let me look at the positive side of my mum's actions regardless how negative or selfish they are. However, that does not mean I can tolerate my mum to say nasty stuff about my wife and her family/friends. Even if it is the other way round, I will also protect if people say nasty things about my mum. Nonetheless, i guess i still need a heart to heart talk with my mum.

@bunnyloverz

I have thought of the staying over both sides on weekdays and weekends respectively, since both families are in the same estate. My mum is the self proclaimed traditional mindset (haha despite her telling her friends and relative she very modern), so forbids me to stay at my in laws place. However, I still need a talk with her and sort it out. CNY is just around the corner and I do not wish to make things difficult since it is the first new year together.

I do not think i am able to rope in anyone, she tends to victimize herself to others and in the end i will be come the bad one :rolleyes: My sis isn't suitable as he mentality is really not mature, and my mum will snap at my dad whenever he wanna suggest something. So it is just me to face her, and i guess it is the best option.

Dear all,

I am using this channel to pour out the knots in my heart. Hope you do not mind. Plus I do welcome advice :)

My wife and I both comes from families with their own set of issues. Both sides parents have their own "unique" set of theories and ways to lead life. Of course my wife and I have our own set of principles that are in conflict with them.

In 2014, due to my my-then-gf's father's protectiveness over my-then-gf's sis, I was chased out of the house during CNY, cause he felt that her younger daughter was humiliated in front of outsiders. Out of disappointment, my-then-gf and I decided to ROM, so we could apply for a flat. So both side parents were given last min notice on our ROM, and it was completed within 2 months. Of cuz lots of unhappiness with our parents, cause to them this is a big matter that should discuss with them.

To my side of the family, before our ROM, my mum (claimed to be very modern herself) told us that we need not have any wedding dinner, just a simple dinner with some relative representative is enough. She even suggest we can save that money for a long honeymoon. We were awe by that and proceed on to ROM. However, after the ROM, she said we should have a grand wedding dinner to inform others (Relatives, friends, parents friends and working partners, etc). We were both shocked by that and brought what she said before that was different. She replied by saying she never say or promise such a thing as no need a grand wedding dinner. my sis even add on saying my mum being so traditional, won't suggest such a thing. In the end, my wife gave in cause I am the only son in the family. As expected, the whole planning was a rough one, with my mum compiling a list of traditions (Which we suspect is a rojak of Malaysian and Taiwan tradition) which even shock the bridal shop. We had many arguments and disagreements that damaged our respect for her. In summary, she just want "face" and won't care about other things. My sis add on to say wedding is not for couples but to notify people that we are married.

In 2016, the whole wedding was successful and guests were happy except us. We planned and managed the whole wedding itinerary ourselves but with my mum forcing her way here and there which cause lot's of unhappiness. She even complained that my wife speech was longer than mine, the video portion was longer than mine. what can she expect from her out-spoken DIL? I am more of the quiet and gentle type of guy, but i guess the "face" issue blinds her greatly.

Nonetheless, we decided to stay with her till our flat arriving. My mum was still never happy about my wife, we suspect is because we do not plan to have a kid this early until we are more financially stable. All this while, my mum has been flipping the things she said, demanding things last minute despite us asking her to let us know in advance (cause my wife and I usually plan our day early), kept insisting that we spend more time with my in-law side, 101 things about us spending more time with our circle of friends than at home. We were both disappointed as we have been telling her my wife has been busy with clearing shit and fire fighting at work. n

Recently, i had an argument with my wife and my attitude was really bad till she decided to move back. My mum was disappointed with my wife not informing her and commented why we put such an act when the new year is coming. And even commented we did this on purpose so she wont have a good year, etc. Whenever she start her nagging, she will bring up the past things that she was not happy with, however, when we brought up some past examples, she will snap at us for bring up the past.

I am really troubled being in the middle. there have been more nasty stuff my mum said which i have not share with my wife. Else it will be harder for me to convince my wife to return home for CNY. I feel if my mum cannot let go of the past, it will be hard for us to continue staying with her :(
Hi I am in similar situation facing my Mil. I am trying hard to salvage relationship but it seems impossible as she refuse to share with me her thoughts. Even my hubby has long given up. I am glad to see that u still speak up for your wife which means there is still hope to improve the relationship n mom means a place in your heart. Dun give up since yr wife has not. Maybe is good to have cool off period for everyone. When one misses the other, I believe somehow a solution will pop out. I am planning to detach from my in laws since my gals r treated somehow transparent. Here in my Mil world, only grandson is the precious one. The worst came when my gal which is 7yrs was left in hunger when I work late back while my son (8yrs) were fed. Gal told me ah mah say wait for your mother to serve u.. I was heart broken.

@Saddness

I feel for you. It is sad that some in laws still have the traditional mindset of boy are more superior. I always reassure my wife that regardless son or daughters, they are equally precious to me. However, she is the one most precious to me ;)

No matter how bad the relationship between my mum and my wife, I hope that our children will not be affected. I do not wish that they grow up feeling imbalance, especially when it comes to having son and daughter. Better now than never, I gonna have a chat with my mum (hopefully tonight) and see how receptive is she.

Saw this online, what you all think?

1. Make your new wife your priority, but don’t leave your mother out. Talk with her, and tell her that you love your wife, and you need her support helping her feel welcome.
  2. When your wife has concerns, listen to her. Don’t become defensive, but rather try to understand why it is a problem for her. If it is an invasion of privacy or a matter of your mom being too involved, talk to your mother in private, without blaming. For example, if your mom wants to drop in unexpected, that may have worked when you were single, but it can be disrespectful when you are married. Tell your mom you love seeing her, but would like her to call first.
  3. If your mother has concerns, listen to her, and don’t get defensive. She may be prone to jumping to conclusions out of fear for you…however, if you explain exactly what took place with whatever situation she is referencing, she will understand.
  4. As much as possible, include both families in your celebrations. Anytime a mom on either side feels excluded, she is going to be hurt. If you cannot join family celebrations, acknowledge you will miss them, but do what is best for your wife and your marriage. Parents do best if they know their son is happily married, so make that a central theme.
  5. Never badmouth your wife to your mom, and never badmouth your mom to your wife.
I am kinda guilty of the last one, could not help it but share with my wife some stuff my mum said which turn me off. I am planning to try the 3rd point tonight.

@Saddness

I feel for you. It is sad that some in laws still have the traditional mindset of boy are more superior. I always reassure my wife that regardless son or daughters, they are equally precious to me. However, she is the one most precious to me ;)

No matter how bad the relationship between my mum and my wife, I hope that our children will not be affected. I do not wish that they grow up feeling imbalance, especially when it comes to having son and daughter. Better now than never, I gonna have a chat with my mum (hopefully tonight) and see how receptive is she.
I am glad that you are doing everything to bridge the relationship between your mom and wife. While for me, I will need to learn to move on to be happier since hubby is not supportive. Will remain silence as much as I can when I am at his mom place. That is the best I can do. Hopefully Mil saw the change and will give in.

I wish you all the best with your mom and bear in mind to be at your most peace when talking to her. Dun end up screaming or arguing. Let your mom talk all she can and keep repeating what you want. Sometime rephrased it till she understand with a your most calm voice. Is easy to say than do.. but try your best for your wife and future kiddos.

I always believe a happy marriage is to maintain harmony and happiness with two families. Jia u!

See what I did there? Now you 2 can feel each other pain and feel slightly better. :p
Thanks so much for bridging us. Yes.. having the same woes with someone definitely consoled me tat I not alone facing it. However, I envy his wife tat her hubby is working hard on it. Of cos., I feel her pain. Is never easy to just ignore and further endure the pain Mil is bringing to her and trying to maintain a happy marriage.
To be honest, divorce was on my mind if tat makes a happy ending. But is unfair to my kids. So for now, I will work no wat I can before putting my marriage on the chopping board.

Just to update all kind souls that gave me great advice and support.

I managed to have a chat with my mum yesterday and all went well. We are able to sort out our misunderstanding. Hopefully this will continue and moving on, my wife and I have to see how we can improve the relationship further before we officially get our home done

I guess it is true that the husband is the link between wife and mum - One is a woman who brought him up, the other is the woman who grows old with him. I do not wish to upset either one, that is why i rather work harder to hold the link than to upset them. The interesting thing is you won't upset just one woman but both. My wife always assure me that she is not there to damage my r/ship with my mum and encourage me to spend more time with my mum. Though she will be upset on how my mum treats me at times, but she will be more affected if the mother-son-r/ship is ruined.

I do thank everyone that gave me encouragement and support to talk to my mum, @adhd.dad, @lynx_sea, @triple70, @bunnyloverz & @Saddness Thank you so much

Thanks so much for bridging us. Yes.. having the same woes with someone definitely consoled me tat I not alone facing it. However, I envy his wife tat her hubby is working hard on it. Of cos., I feel her pain. Is never easy to just ignore and further endure the pain Mil is bringing to her and trying to maintain a happy marriage.
To be honest, divorce was on my mind if tat makes a happy ending. But is unfair to my kids. So for now, I will work no wat I can before putting my marriage on the chopping board.

It is really sad to hear that divorce is one of the options in your mind. However, it is true that kids will be the suffering end. I pray that your hubby will wake up his idea and be supportive to create a happier family. People may say that i follow and listen to my wife as though i do not have a mind of my own. I just ignore what they say, as to me I want to pamper and treasure my wife as she is working hard for us.

Don't forget that you have us here as your source ofencouragement and support.

Last edited:
Just to update all kind souls that gave me great advice and support.

I managed to have a chat with my mum yesterday and all went well. We are able to sort out our misunderstanding. Hopefully this will continue and moving on, my wife and I have to see how we can improve the relationship further before we officially get our home done

I guess it is true that the husband is the link between wife and mum - One is a woman who brought him up, the other is the woman who grows old with him. I do not wish to upset either one, that is why i rather work harder to hold the link than to upset them. The interesting thing is you won't upset just one woman but both. My wife always assure me that she is not there to damage my r/ship with my mum and encourage me to spend more time with my mum. Though she will be upset on how my mum treats me at times, but she will be more affected if the mother-son-r/ship is ruined.

I do thank everyone that gave me encouragement and support to talk to my mum, @adhd.dad, @lynx_sea, @triple70, @bunnyloverz & @Saddness Thank you so much
I am so happy to hear your good news. You did it well. Wishing you all the best!

I am so happy to hear your good news. You did it well. Wishing you all the best!

Thank you so much. you all gave me the support i need. I was a little unsure but managed to take the first step out after pouring my heart here and with all of your encourgement

Back