Any mummies underwent Amniocentesis?

Rathika

Hi Mummies,

Wanna check if any mummies have undergone the Amniocentesis procedure to test for Down Syndrome?
My blood test came back as high risk for DS partly due to my age and just to confirm, i am scheduled to undergo the above test on Aug 24. Any experience wld be helpful!

Rathika
1st Angel - D.O.B : 10th Feb 2002
2nd Angel - D.O.B : 8th May 2004
3rd Angel - E.D.D : 2nd Feb 2017

Hi Rathika,

You're an experienced mum!

How's ur amnio test? I am going comin 9 Jan, worried the risk, while it's important knowing genes health of my BB.

Having my 1st Angel ^^*Y EDD 24 June 2016

Hi Jbbnxr,

I underwent Amniocentesis and happy to say had no issues after tt. The pain itself during the process is very minimal... more like pressure than anything. It was very manageable but i ensured that i rested fully after the procedure as advised by the doctors and many articles.. was given 2 days MC by KK but took my own AL so that i could rest completely for 5 days.. was mostly in bed with my legs raised... in my opinion, the necessity of the test outweighs the risks.. esp if you are high risk.

No worries at all! I rem how worried i was... i am sure you will do fine thou and lil one will come out a champ!! All the best... do let me know the results if possible... :)

Hi Mummies, I collected my report Ytd and was told that my bb has high risk for DS which is 0.05%. And doctor suggested me to do amnio test which has a small risk for miscarriage. I am still in dilemma whether to do the test, as I really do not wish to risk and lose this baby. But if don't do the test and get a confirmation, we can't set our mind at ease. Any suggestions please

Hi Mummies, I collected my report Ytd and was told that my bb has high risk for DS which is 0.05%. And doctor suggested me to do amnio test which has a small risk for miscarriage. I am still in dilemma whether to do the test, as I really do not wish to risk and lose this baby. But if don't do the test and get a confirmation, we can't set our mind at ease. Any suggestions please

Does your doctor offer other forms of test? Perhaps Harmony test or Panorama test? Both can test for Down Syndrome and is more accurate and less invasive.

Does your doctor offer other forms of test? Perhaps Harmony test or Panorama test? Both can test for Down Syndrome and is more accurate and less invasive.
Hi Doctor offered 3 tests. CVS, Amnio and a blood test. But said amnio is 100% accurate

Hi Doctor offered 3 tests. CVS, Amnio and a blood test. But said amnio is 100% accurate

Did you do the Oscar test the first time? I read that Oscar test's outcome is highly dependent on the mummy's age, that means, if you are relatively older, then most likely the risk will be higher.

If the first test result is less favorable due to your age, then I think I would opt for the blood test if I am in your shoes. Non-invasive tests like Harmony and Panorama offers more than 99% accuracy as claimed on their website.

Don't worry, my friend had a high risk Oscar test, but when she went for Harmony test, the result turned out fine. Hope everything goes well for you. :)

Did you do the Oscar test the first time? I read that Oscar test's outcome is highly dependent on the mummy's age, that means, if you are relatively older, then most likely the risk will be higher.

If the first test result is less favorable due to your age, then I think I would opt for the blood test if I am in your shoes. Non-invasive tests like Harmony and Panorama offers more than 99% accuracy as claimed on their website.

Don't worry, my friend had a high risk Oscar test, but when she went for Harmony test, the result turned out fine. Hope everything goes well for you. :)
Hi, thank you:) I am only 25 this year, and I don't know why the Oscar test turns out to be high risk, but they can see the NT is higher so they said 0.05% of high risk. My first child all the rest turn out to be fine. But would you suggest to go for the amnio test? Like compared to the blood test, the accuracy is 100%

Hi, thank you:) I am only 25 this year, and I don't know why the Oscar test turns out to be high risk, but they can see the NT is higher so they said 0.05% of high risk. My first child all the rest turn out to be fine. But would you suggest to go for the amnio test? Like compared to the blood test, the accuracy is 100%

If your eldest turned out to be fine, and there is no family history of down syndrome on both sides of your family, then I personally wouldn't to go for amnio because of the risk of miscarriage that comes with it. I am more kia si in that sense.

To me, blood test with more than 99% accuracy is considered very accurate, I mean, what are the odds of you falling into the 0.0X %? It is possible but quite unlikely, at the end of the day, I feel it is really your choice.

If you find that you really need the 100% accuracy assurance to confirm your baby does not have DS, then I say go for it. Have faith in your decision and follow your mummy's instinct. :)

Hi, you're younger than me, & you've got 1st child perfectly fine thus you should put ease that everything would be alright! :)
Don't worry, i'll update you peeps my Amnio result, my test at 9 Jan, think be4 CNY if never receive call, means all positive??
Mine is 1st child & i got abit medical history though no family conditions of DS, i'm worried for the risk too but i chose Amnio cos of 100% accuracy. Thanks to Rathika, i'm at relieved mindset. I would rest alot for 2days within the test.

indeed Jbbnxr! you've done your oscar already?
Hi Carina, I've did FTS at Wk13, result of NT 3.6mm. T21 adjusted risk shows 1:153 thus quite worried. But googled alot says Oscar aka FTS result don't really tells as accurate as other test, and some case of my similar result turns out fine in further test. :) My angel got nasal bone, thus i feel should be quite positive!

My scan ytd at Wk 15+ shows NT 2.9mm, it put me more at ease but doctor advise go ahead with test since the judging period is at Wk13 - the scanning time.

Hi, you're younger than me, & you've got 1st child perfectly fine thus you should put ease that everything would be alright! :)
Don't worry, i'll update you peeps my Amnio result, my test at 9 Jan, think be4 CNY if never receive call, means all positive??
Mine is 1st child & i got abit medical history though no family conditions of DS, i'm worried for the risk too but i chose Amnio cos of 100% accuracy. Thanks to Rathika, i'm at relieved mindset. I would rest alot for 2days within the test.
Hi Jbbnxr, so would you suggest me to go for the Amnio test? As I really couldn't make any decision whether to go for Amnio as it has small risk for miscarriage:(

Hi Jbbnxr, so would you suggest me to go for the Amnio test? As I really couldn't make any decision whether to go for Amnio as it has small risk for miscarriage:(
Hi MaybelIT, you may want to discuss with Hubby? My hubby decided for me as well, he comment he prefer 100% accuracy, he said if 1stly we didn't took OSCAR test, we would choose Harmony>>don't need scared risk or more false positive from OSCAR but H don't include cardiac and full detailed scan..It's like WTH.. Also i'm 30yrs old so higher risk than u thus i chose Amnio. Was told by forum member KKH subsidy Harmony test cost $800(not sure cash or medisave); my Amnio after subsidy cost $500(90% medisave).
>>So if i'm you, i would choose Harmony since 1)1st child is fine & 2)when myself is 25 YO and 3)family members perfectly no medical history, 4)few hundred different if under subsidy. It's like 3 supporting positive factor for going Harmony test which don't mind 97-99% accuracy.
I see myself not valid from factor1-3 so i chose Amnio Test. Be sure no housework and heavy lifting within 5 days, hopefully risk is low minimal .
Another belief is about believe in fate when the Angel is safe by our side. ;]
Bring my suggestion as a friend, not medical term & discuss with ur hubby.
We keep in touch the results here. Pardon for being lengthy..

1 website which shows detection rate>>http://www.ariosadx.com/expecting-parents/
False Positive Rate* Detection Rate**
Harmony Prenatal Test Less than 1 in 1,600 ;More than 99 in 100
Traditional Test*** 1 in 20 ;79 in 100
Data Source: Norton et al. N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 23;372(17):1589-97

*Reports a high risk for Down syndrome when it is NOT actually present

**Correctly indicates a high risk for Down syndrome when it IS present

***Serum Papp-A, total or free B-hCG & Nuchal Translucency

Hi MaybelIT, you may want to discuss with Hubby? My hubby decided for me as well, he comment he prefer 100% accuracy, he said if 1stly we didn't took OSCAR test, we would choose Harmony>>don't need scared risk or more false positive from OSCAR but H don't include cardiac and full detailed scan..It's like WTH.. Also i'm 30yrs old so higher risk than u thus i chose Amnio. Was told by forum member KKH subsidy Harmony test cost $800(not sure cash or medisave); my Amnio after subsidy cost $500(90% medisave).
>>So if i'm you, i would choose Harmony since 1)1st child is fine & 2)when myself is 25 YO and 3)family members perfectly no medical history, 4)few hundred different if under subsidy. It's like 3 supporting positive factor for going Harmony test which don't mind 97-99% accuracy.
I see myself not valid from factor1-3 so i chose Amnio Test. Be sure no housework and heavy lifting within 5 days, hopefully risk is low minimal .
Another belief is about believe in fate when the Angel is safe by our side. ;]
Bring my suggestion as a friend, not medical term & discuss with ur hubby.
We keep in touch the results here. Pardon for being lengthy..

1 website which shows detection rate>>http://www.ariosadx.com/expecting-parents/
False Positive Rate* Detection Rate**
Harmony Prenatal Test Less than 1 in 1,600 ;More than 99 in 100
Traditional Test*** 1 in 20 ;79 in 100
Data Source: Norton et al. N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 23;372(17):1589-97

*Reports a high risk for Down syndrome when it is NOT actually present

**Correctly indicates a high risk for Down syndrome when it IS present

***Serum Papp-A, total or free B-hCG & Nuchal Translucency
Okay, thank you. I will discuss with my hubby. Most probably will be doing the test, and will update the results..

Hi Jbbnxr,

Hope your results came back alright! I'm due for my amnio next Thur at KKH and I'm very nervous for the results. My Oscar test results returned with very high NT 3.8 and 2.8, as well as high free beta HCG level plus I'm 37 this year. But both of them have visible nasal bones.

Hi Jbbnxr,

Hope your results came back alright! I'm due for my amnio next Thur at KKH and I'm very nervous for the results. My Oscar test results returned with very high NT 3.8 and 2.8, as well as high free beta HCG level plus I'm 37 this year. But both of them have visible nasal bones.
Hi milk candy!
You'very got twins? Is this ur 1st pregNancy? I believe visible nasal bone can give us assurance more. .I haven't received call from kkh, I think it's a positive results, I'll call to check if results out coming Monday. But if they never reveal results to me yet didn't call me, shld be alright!

Just relax have good food, enjoy sleep n movies tò cheer up ourselves ; )

Hi milk candy!
You'very got twins? Is this ur 1st pregNancy? I believe visible nasal bone can give us assurance more. .I haven't received call from kkh, I think it's a positive results, I'll call to check if results out coming Monday. But if they never reveal results to me yet didn't call me, shld be alright!

Just relax have good food, enjoy sleep n movies tò cheer up ourselves ; )

Yes my first pregnancy, was elated when we knew we've got twins. The journey hasn't been easy so we're very excited. After Oscar results it was very difficult for us. I'm trying not to think about the bad things and be positive! Feeling pessimistic about it wouldn't help.

Hi all,
My results came out today & i didn't receive call by 5pm on the same day, thus my little angel is healthy :)
All the best to upcoming test mummies!

Hi all, the long wait is finally over. I received call from KKH that both boy and girl are safe. Thank god! Tears of joy and relieve...
All the best to upcoming test mummies too!
What test did u went thru? Is it amnio? My OSCar test is nt favourable as well. Quite worried. I am considered high risk as well

What test did u went thru? Is it amnio? My OSCar test is nt favourable as well. Quite worried. I am considered high risk as well

Hello. I did oscar test initially as well and the result came back as high risk. Gynae encourages me to take cvs if u wanna know the result fast. Otherwise u can choose to do amnio at week 16. So in the end I opt for cvs cause the result is too worrying to wait till week 16. Don't worry! The oscar test might not be accurate. Oscar is popular for false positive.

Hello. I did oscar test initially as well and the result came back as high risk. Gynae encourages me to take cvs if u wanna know the result fast. Otherwise u can choose to do amnio at week 16. So in the end I opt for cvs cause the result is too worrying to wait till week 16. Don't worry! The oscar test might not be accurate. Oscar is popular for false positive.

Thanks for being reassuring. I still have not think which test to go through yet. Maybe amnio or even harmony. My results are too devastating. Cannot believe it. Feeling sad and even i share with colleagues or friends they will.never understand the torture we go thru.

Thanks for being reassuring. I still have not think which test to go through yet. Maybe amnio or even harmony. My results are too devastating. Cannot believe it. Feeling sad and even i share with colleagues or friends they will.never understand the torture we go thru.

Yea I totally understand how you feel. I'm quite shocked with my oscar result as well. Don't worry k, everything will be ok! Baby will be fine.

Nope cvs is not painful at all. I didn't feel any pain at all during the procedure. I asked my gynae about harmony but she said harmony is still a risk assessment. If harmony fails I'll still have to go for amnio. So I decided to do cvs in the end.

Nope cvs is not painful at all. I didn't feel any pain at all during the procedure. I asked my gynae about harmony but she said harmony is still a risk assessment. If harmony fails I'll still have to go for amnio. So I decided to do cvs in the end.

hello missykimberly, what makes the doc make the recommendation for the down assessment? i went to the scan today, after the scan he highly recommend me to do NIPT or amnio. What is CVS, where and how much it cost? The NIPT can be dont now, draw some blood, $1k, lab test in california, result in 10days, 90% accurate. Amnio is invasive, need to wait till 16weeks, $3k, lat test in california, result in 10days, 99% accurate. He doesnt recoommed OSCAR has result is not always affirmative, mostly postively if you are older. I was devasted. Been reading up since I get back home. What is CVS, where did u do it, and how much it cost?

hello missykimberly, what makes the doc make the recommendation for the down assessment? i went to the scan today, after the scan he highly recommend me to do NIPT or amnio. What is CVS, where and how much it cost? The NIPT can be dont now, draw some blood, $1k, lab test in california, result in 10days, 90% accurate. Amnio is invasive, need to wait till 16weeks, $3k, lat test in california, result in 10days, 99% accurate. He doesnt recoommed OSCAR has result is not always affirmative, mostly postively if you are older. I was devasted. Been reading up since I get back home. What is CVS, where did u do it, and how much it cost?

Hello, cvs is chorinic villus sampling. It's also an invasive test where they take tissue sample from the placenta for testing. It's almost the same as amnio. Just that cvs can be done at week 13 and amnio only at week 16. And only amnio will detect neural tube defects. I think both results take about 2 weeks. I did my CVS in Thomas medical center and i payed $1.17k after deduction of Medisave.

Hi can i know how long will de amnio results will be out? I am waiting anxiously for my results to be out. Will they call me if the results are negative?

The results should be out by the next appt, in my case it was my 20 week scan. They will call you in the event that smth is not right so hope that u nvr receive that call :)

For new mummies who are reading this thread, just sharing my thoughts... if possible, opt for Harmony Test right from the start and don't even bother with OSCAR or normal blood tests. The latter 2 are very inaccurate. Harmony Test is 99% accurate. If your Harmony Test comes back to say that your baby has a high chance of having abnormality, then go for amnio as the last resort. This is the recommendation from my gynae.

I know some mummies go for the OSCAR/normal blood test first (since they are cheaper), and then go for amnio if the results come back unfavorable. But according to my gynae, amnio test has its miscarriage risks and OSCAR/normal blood tests are very inaccurate to begin with. So why bother with this route?

Either that or some mummies go for OSCAR, then Harmony, then amnio if the results call for it... but if you take Harmony from the start, you can save the money on OSCAR and also reduce the need for amnio (since Harmony is 99% accurate). Hope this helps!

For new mummies who are reading this thread, just sharing my thoughts... if possible, opt for Harmony Test right from the start and don't even bother with OSCAR or normal blood tests. The latter 2 are very inaccurate. Harmony Test is 99% accurate. If your Harmony Test comes back to say that your baby has a high chance of having abnormality, then go for amnio as the last resort. This is the recommendation from my gynae.

I know some mummies go for the OSCAR/normal blood test first (since they are cheaper), and then go for amnio if the results come back unfavorable. But according to my gynae, amnio test has its miscarriage risks and OSCAR/normal blood tests are very inaccurate to begin with. So why bother with this route?

Either that or some mummies go for OSCAR, then Harmony, then amnio if the results call for it... but if you take Harmony from the start, you can save the money on OSCAR and also reduce the need for amnio (since Harmony is 99% accurate). Hope this helps!

Does Harmony work for fraternal twins? The counsellor at KKH ADC says it does, but I'm sceptical.

Does Harmony work for fraternal twins? The counsellor at KKH ADC says it does, but I'm sceptical.

Not sure about that... I think you can check out the thread on twins! I'm sure someone would have shared their experience on the tests done for twins. :)

Thank you mummies for all your assurances and encouragement. It really means alot to someone like me as I am going for my CVS test this wed. I really hope that my baby is fine.

Back