False Positive CVS result?

mrAce

My wife is 28 years old and had CVS test but the result is very heart breaking.
Our baby is currently diagnosed by the CVS to have a wolf-hischhorn syndrome due to microdeletion of chromosome 4.
Our gynea (we don't want to reveal who the person is) has given up, the gynea said CVS is 99% accurate.

We don't give up yet.
We found a professor, who is an expert in genetic (he was the chairman of international ultrasound society, ex-vice president of gynea federation in Asia Pacific, won young scientist award back in 1993, and other awards) and we finally met him for 2nd opinion.

He keeps telling us that CVS is not reliable, in fact, he said that he was one of the people who introduced CVS in Singapore many many years ago. The reason he says that CVS is not reliable because it has 2% false positive rate, and CVS is taking samples from placenta, and not the baby cells directly, and there were many cases whereby the samples from the placenta somehow corrupted thus gave bad results.
The only way to be sure is to take amniocentesis, which he says, the golden test for pregnancy whereby the amnio fluid is taken and it represents the baby cells directly, and he suggested to take micro array technique along with the amnio to detect any micro deletions.
The amnio fluid would be sent to United States and the amnio + micro array tests will be conducted by experts in United States.

Finally we agreed to do it and the result will come out in about 7-12 days, and we are now praying really hard and waiting with hopes that the result will be perfectly normal and there won't be any generic/chromosome disorders at all.

I did some research afterwards, and found some studies that confirms what the professor says, that CVS is only taking samples from placenta and the studies say that the samples are actually only representing 10% of the baby, which means that although advertisement says that CVS is 98-99% accurate to detect whether the baby is healthy or not, at the same time it is also 90% inaccurate!

Does any moms here or maybe your friends or relatives, have had any experiences like what my wife and I are going through?
For example:
CVS result show abnormality but after taking Amnio, the result came back normal and the baby finally was born normal as well?

Thank you Moms.

Going through similar to you but baby is diagnosed with hole in the heart... Could be link to down syndrome.. How was your amnio results?

I did not take any test and pray to God .. For what i know, im still continuing with the pregnancy even if I take the test or not.

Im still very very scared of the outcome ..

My wife is 28 years old and had CVS test but the result is very heart breaking.
Our baby is currently diagnosed by the CVS to have a wolf-hischhorn syndrome due to microdeletion of chromosome 4.
Our gynea (we don't want to reveal who the person is) has given up, the gynea said CVS is 99% accurate.

We don't give up yet.
We found a professor, who is an expert in genetic (he was the chairman of international ultrasound society, ex-vice president of gynea federation in Asia Pacific, won young scientist award back in 1993, and other awards) and we finally met him for 2nd opinion.

He keeps telling us that CVS is not reliable, in fact, he said that he was one of the people who introduced CVS in Singapore many many years ago. The reason he says that CVS is not reliable because it has 2% false positive rate, and CVS is taking samples from placenta, and not the baby cells directly, and there were many cases whereby the samples from the placenta somehow corrupted thus gave bad results.
The only way to be sure is to take amniocentesis, which he says, the golden test for pregnancy whereby the amnio fluid is taken and it represents the baby cells directly, and he suggested to take micro array technique along with the amnio to detect any micro deletions.
The amnio fluid would be sent to United States and the amnio + micro array tests will be conducted by experts in United States.

Finally we agreed to do it and the result will come out in about 7-12 days, and we are now praying really hard and waiting with hopes that the result will be perfectly normal and there won't be any generic/chromosome disorders at all.

I did some research afterwards, and found some studies that confirms what the professor says, that CVS is only taking samples from placenta and the studies say that the samples are actually only representing 10% of the baby, which means that although advertisement says that CVS is 98-99% accurate to detect whether the baby is healthy or not, at the same time it is also 90% inaccurate!

Does any moms here or maybe your friends or relatives, have had any experiences like what my wife and I are going through?
For example:
CVS result show abnormality but after taking Amnio, the result came back normal and the baby finally was born normal as well?

Thank you Moms.

Hi, which prof did u go to? Cos my Friend is also struggling w same issue

Back