Advice Needed about SPR and EP pregnancy

PRandEP

Hello everyone, I am new here and trying to gain an understanding of how to best plan for my family's future.

I am an EP holder and my wife is a SPR. We are planning on starting to have baby perhaps a year from now and I want to make sure that we are as prepared as possible (if you ever can be prepared for parenthood).

First, I am curious to how to protect my family from potentially high doctor bills in case of congenital defects or premature births leading to NICU stays and 6 figure bills. From what I see, there are no insurance policies that cover for this outside of up to maybe $10K from a PruFirst type plan that would fall short of covering any catastrophic medical bill. Are there any policies that I am not aware of that would protect my family from such an expense? Why do Singaporeans not appear to be concerned about a 6 figure medical bill? I'm assuming there is some sort of subsidy that provides protection, would my wife be eligible as a SPR?

Second, I know that my wife has a CPF and inside a Medisave account that can pay for a portion of the delivery fees along with prenatal care (I have seen the MOH website for these numbers). In addition, I know that the public hospitals are subsidized and that the SPRs are subsidized at a rate below citizens. Do you know the difference in the subsidies? I can't seem to find this number.

Third, would we be better off having the baby in Malaysia (my wife is Malaysian)? I know some hospitals in Malaysia are eligible for Medisave. Any downfalls of this option?

Finally, if my child were to be born prematurely, would he/she get a subsidized rate as well in the public hospitals since my wife is SPR or would I have to first apply to get the child a PR? Also, would my wife's Medisave account be able to fund a portion of the expense in staying in the NICU?

Thank you to anyone who is able to answer any of these questions. I am trying to learn as much as possible and have gotten to the point where I have made myself even more concerned and overwhelmed!

Hello, yes PruFirst Gift provides coverage for your wife and child in terms of congenital defects and premature births. There are at least 4 other companies who do that. I've share some thoughts about it on my blog here: http://molobok.blogspot.sg/2016/10/maternity-insurance-plans-in-singapore.html?m=1

And since your wife has CPF, she could have upgraded her MediShield Life plan. It wouldn't cover for delivery but if there's (touchwood) emergencies, complications and medical treatment will be partially covered. These upgrade, however, comes with waiting periods so you'll need to speak with a financial advisor to find out more. Can PM me for details!

Not sure about other questions that you have!

Back