All about Hiring Helper/Maid in Singapore

do without maids if possible. Too much non work related problems. maids too demanding, too spoilt and not interested in work but want easy money. Thinks Spore employers easy to rip off. I tell myself no way. I work v v hard and i dun see why i need to put up with problematic maids at home and still pay them a good salary.

@kayliz, i understand how you feel. Right now, my maid is also the same. No initiative and a little dumb. Sometimes I wonder if they really dumb or what or just doing the minimal. She's not lazy to do things but very lazy to think and always forgetting things and doesn't even bother to write down.

The 1st 2 months, I was very patient and didn't say anything but kept telling her to learn. After that, I just screamed and she seems to be better but still not good enough. Will still forget. And when I say forget, it's things like taking our frozen food at 9am to cook for dinner! Wash clothes and tell me there's no space (don't this more than 5 times already) until I told her she can only wash clothes once a day.

Everyone told me she is from the kampong so she's slower. But it has been 4 months. Even if you're slow, I think 4 months is ridiculous! She just has a bad attitude when it comes to learning. She cannot speak English but refuses to look at my hand gesture when I talk. I've asked her many times before whether she can understand what I am saying if she doesn't even look at my hand gesture. Talk about stupidity/bad learning attitude.....:rolleyes:

This is my 3rd maid already and I don't intend to change. The only redeeming factor is she really loves my kid and is very patient and careful with her. I would have changed her if not for this. 'Coz she is really slow in doing things and slow in learning and understanding. Oh and she is honest too which is a very important criteria to me.

And if a maid asks to go, I won't retain her. I don't know when she'll act up. I rather let her go and show them that we don't need them. Don't have to threaten. A lot of them think we simply cannot survive without them which is true for some people who has no one to help.

That was what happened to my 2nd maid who told us smugly "If you don't me, you can bring me back to the agent.". I got rid of her that evening and told her to pack up right away. I have no confidence in a stranger who is vindictive and threatens us with an infant at home. She was pretty shocked and cried while packing. Totally pissed me off and I scolded her to stop. No need to threaten and act poor thing after that. You ask for it, you get it. I was struggling 1 month without a maid and working from home too. did everything on my own and it was the most exhausting period of my life. But boy, what a good feeling it is to know you can do it. albeit a bit tough.

Just do without the people who are useless to you and bring you nothing but headaches and problems.

The FDWs all wanted to be treated as our family member, loved, cherished, plus want to be paid a salary...etc...it's very hard because it is difficult for both employers and employee to clearly separate their roles in a home environment as our home is also their place of work and a place where they will call "home" for the next 2 years. It is very unlike an office setting whereby you leave your frustrations at work and don't bring them home. You don't expect your boss to love you and you play by the rules. Working in our home, it is difficult for them to separate worklife from home life. Hence all the non work related problems we see. When we are nice to them, they treat our home like theirs and then they want to do what they like - go out, talk to friends at all hours, watch TV, forget about work, sleep late etc... But when we reminded them - it is hard for them to take it that they still need to toe the line......

Then there's the human factor & relationship we all have to deal with...with people who live under the same roof as we. We get into squabbles with our husbands and children and likewise & forgive one another once the air is cleared up but with our maids we need to be very careful with what we said because anything wrong we said could be used against us...

It's a very confusing situation to be in for both parties.

hi all

I wish to share the work performance report of an FDW from india

please read and share.

Attachments

• Work Performance Report of FDW Pandiyan Sumathi (Singapore).pdf
    355.8 KB · Views: 295
I was planning to start sourcing for a maid. But after reading all these, I really have no idea which agency is more ethical when comes to selecting or recommending good maid for us. It's really a matter of luck,

Heard from ppl said that Myanmar maid more better nowadays, any views?

I find the agent from my maid agency good. I think at the end of the day, whether you get a good maid boils down to luck but at least you can control which agent/agency to choose from. So that is there's any issues, you can go back to a good agency.

My agent recommended a maid that is more suited for my temperaments and requorements after telling her the problems I had with the previous 2 maids from another agencies.

If you are interested, just pm me. Cheers!

I find the agent from my maid agency good. I think at the end of the day, whether you get a good maid boils down to luck but at least you can control which agent/agency to choose from. So that is there's any issues, you can go back to a good agency.

My agent recommended a maid that is more suited for my temperaments and requorements after telling her the problems I had with the previous 2 maids from another agencies.

If you are interested, just pm me. Cheers!

Care to share which maid agency you get your current maid from?

I am consider to hire a helper/maid in Singapore, any opinions on below question?

1) recommended agency?
2) I heard that we can pay the salary to the agency by installments as the helpers has a loan right? NOT that kind of credit card installments.
3) Is that a compulsory to give helper/maid at least a minimum of 1 off day per month by MOM?
4) what question should i ask if to interview the helper/maid? Face to face is better or Video conferencing?

@prayingformiracle, I've pmed you.

It's necessary to give the maids 1 day off but a lot will ask for pay to cover that 1 day instead of the 1 day break.

I have been looking around for the datas, but then was a bit hesitated to shortlist... I heard that it's better to have installment plans with the agency rather than paying one shot, but it seems like not all agency has such policy.

I have had friends who complained about theft by live-in maids. I have a new maid at home but after hearing the horror stories I'm in a precarious situation of sorts. Should I send her back? My colleagues recommend part time maids though. Any thoughts?

@Rebecca Simon If your maid doesn't steal and performs alright, why the need to send her back? I know of some who steal and my 1st who did also albeit small amount like loose change. I did send her back because the trust is lost. But my current one seems honest so far and is good.

Of course trust take a some time to build up and you should give her a chance until something happen. And do be vigilant for a start too.

As to whether it's better for you to have a part time maid, that's really up to your lifestyle and requirements.

Back