Starting solids on 4months+

Akyr

Hi all mummies out there, can i try to feed my 4 months+ old girl plain porridge? She keep drinking lesser throughout the whole week and keeps on crying. I saw a little white dot on her bottom gums dont know issit she teething or what. Anyone know why? Also, if any of u know any rice cereal for 4 mo and above do recommend me too! Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is possible that she is teething. I'd recommend waiting a bit more before letting her try solid if she is not developmentally ready yet. Rice cereal - u can try heinz or gerber.

U can refer to this brochure from the American Academy of Pediatrics re weaning:- http://www.allchildrenspediatrics.com/docs/starting_solid_foods.pdf

It seems to focus more on being developmentally ready for solids rather than age.

While most people will say 6 months, do note that it is not the case of the gut fairy waving her wand at 12mn on the day baby turns 6 mths making baby ready for solids. It is a continuum...

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. Im afraid she's not getting enough milk and start to lose weight. And she keeps on crying for small little things but refusing to drink abit of water im afraid she gets dehydrated as u know Singapore's weather nowadays is very humid and hot. Is it safe for her to start drinking water now? Can i substitute rice cereal for plain porridge for her first try on solid food? Or should i stick to rice cereal first?

Thanks for your advice. Im afraid she's not getting enough milk and start to lose weight. And she keeps on crying for small little things but refusing to drink abit of water im afraid she gets dehydrated as u know Singapore's weather nowadays is very humid and hot. Is it safe for her to start drinking water now? Can i substitute rice cereal for plain porridge for her first try on solid food? Or should i stick to rice cereal first?
one option is to try feeding milk via spoon / cup. if it is teething, especially the bottom / upper front teeth it can be painful to suck milk from the bottle. and to confirm if it is rly teething, see if applying dentinox gel helps. for my lo, dentinox didnt work. i had to use paracetamol to ease the pain b4 she can feed properly.

I've tried to feed her milk via spoon and she doesnt seem to like it. I cant really tell whether her gum is swollen or not. Does applying the gel helps? What if the moment i applied the gel on her gum and next minute she swallows all up and the gel is gone? What if she doesnt like the gel taste? Today seems to improve alot better than past few days. But realise she drinks more frequent and alot more. She will want to drink when she is going to sleep otherwise if i offer her milk while she's awake she will fuss and cry. She's been drinking around 3-5oz per 1.5-3hrs. Is this normal during her teething period?

I've tried to feed her milk via spoon and she doesnt seem to like it. I cant really tell whether her gum is swollen or not. Does applying the gel helps? What if the moment i applied the gel on her gum and next minute she swallows all up and the gel is gone? What if she doesnt like the gel taste? Today seems to improve alot better than past few days. But realise she drinks more frequent and alot more. She will want to drink when she is going to sleep otherwise if i offer her milk while she's awake she will fuss and cry. She's been drinking around 3-5oz per 1.5-3hrs. Is this normal during her teething period?
the unfortunate thing abt teething gels are that u do need to wait for the gel to be absorbed. and the teething gel rly doesnt work on my girl ...cos she also hates the taste. for my LO, cos she started teething at > 6 mths, there are times when she rejects solids and just want milk. It could be that she is "making up" for lost feeds? i wonder. but if she wants it, give it lor.

Oh.. is the gel expensive? I afraid i buy already then she dont like then wasted.. Today the little white dot on her gum cant be seen already. Like suddenly disappear. So could be not teething? Btw how old is your LO?

Oh.. is the gel expensive? I afraid i buy already then she dont like then wasted.. Today the little white dot on her gum cant be seen already. Like suddenly disappear. So could be not teething? Btw how old is your LO?
the dentinox gel is abt 9 bucks if i am not wrong. to be v sure if she is teething, u can try looking out for signs like excessive drooling...keep wanting to gnaw at things, night waking, reluctance to feed. u try running ur finger across her gums and see if u can feel anything? my lo is 13 mths le

She does drool, she will put anything into her mouth if she can reach it, no night wakings if wake up only wants milk and back to sleep, occasionally reluctant to feed depending on her mood. Yup i did tried to run my finger across her gums but can't feel the little white dot anymore. Gum is hard. Can't really tell though. Oh.. SG50 baby?

She does drool, she will put anything into her mouth if she can reach it, no night wakings if wake up only wants milk and back to sleep, occasionally reluctant to feed depending on her mood. Yup i did tried to run my finger across her gums but can't feel the little white dot anymore. Gum is hard. Can't really tell though. Oh.. SG50 baby?
yup SG50 bb too!

Me, at 5m. Initially only want to feed at 6m but he seems to eat really well on 1st try. So i keep giving since then. Only give fruit puree, vegetable puree. 6m then give porridge and start intro meat

I see. How do u store fruit puree? In freezer or fridge? Can store how long for fruits? Currently im trying sweet potato + carrot and LO seems to like it so been feeding her for roughly 1 week alr. How many meals per day do u feed? Also, does ur LO drink lesser once started on purees? Mine sometime drink less sometime can drink way alot more. But i only feed 1 small meal per day and thats it.

Normally i see the practise is 1 meal a day if less than 6m. But also see how bb react, if ok then can give 2 meals. I fees my boy 2 times by puree mixed w breastmilk. If normally he drink 180ml, i mix 30ml into the puree, the left over (150ml) give him to drink. So he doesnt eat less.. Fruit puree easy to make so i make it fresh. For sweet potato/pumpkin after steam i mixed w bm then store in fridge one serving for afternoon feed. Dont freeze unless no choice.. Free porridge/meat is fine but vege/fruit nutrition all go wasted ba.. Especially if bb eat only once a day :)

How to spot any changes once starting on puree? If i feed 1 tablespoon of puree for starting issit too much? Normally how much you make for fruit puree? I scared make already bb eat abit dont want. Very wasted. Which fruit do you start with? I'm thinking of apples. Nowadays my LO very fussy. 1 day only take about 2-4 bottles. And not drinking very much. Dont know issit teething anot. Some day drink very less, some day can drink alot. I always make a batch of sweet potato and then put it inside food tray and put in freezer, if i want feed then take out defrost. Can also freeze porridge and meat uh? How old is your lo now? What's his feeding intervals? By the way is purple sweet potato and yellow ones the same? Im intending to try purple sweet potato on bb cos im left with purple ones.

Back