Any tips to avoid Epidural?

Mummy_M

Hi Mummies,

I'm currently in my second pregnancy and am hoping to avoid epidural.
In my previous pregnancy, I gave in to epidural. In the end, I've suffered from a weak lower back.
l kind of regret my decision back then.

Hope that Mummies out there may have some tips to share.
Looking forward to hear from you.

I have the same situation with Mummy_M. Took more than a year to recover the lower back pain with the help of acupunture.

My due date is on 31 Jan. I 1 2 try w/o epidural but scare that i cannot tolerate the labor pain.

Any ways to lessen the pain?

There is a good reading article about natural active birth. Labour should be active and not passive. Unfortunately with all the medical interventions, it seems to many pregnant mummies that they take on a passive role. A very strong point to note is that you are birthing the baby, not delivering it.

Go google spinning babies and read up the article on 3 principles in Pregnancy.

Getting your baby in a good position will help lessen the pain

Hi Mummy_M, I gave birth to my first child without epidural. I can only say it's the willpower that overcomes everything. Also, your level of pain threshold which no one knows better than yourself. Try to use the laughing gas and breathe correctly. It should help relieve for a while and probably distract yourself by looking at other things. I was left alone for a good 10-15mins in the labour ward cos the nurses were changing shifts. I just tell myself not to give in and most importantly I think I was afraid to pay more keke.

U mean u don feel contraction pain at all?
Ya, hypnobirthing. I believe that childbirth is natural and there is no reason to be painful. So the body responded according to my mind. Just breath down and tried to relax and enjoy the process. There is no magic. Everyone can do it. There was no hurry to give birth. I was all alone at home at that time. Relax, relax, relax. breathe, breathe, breathe. Of course we need to do some homework like attending courses, read up, watch birth video, identify what are our fear and all and need to work on it. If you think what if it fails, then it will fail. You need to know what you want and do what is required to make it happen. [email protected]

its all in your mind. I gave birth without epi too :) the pain is actually bearable.. but then my labour was induced and actual intensive pain was less than 30 mins.

hi hi..

i have given birth to 2 boys..both without epidural...it is really all in your mind. If you have already tell yourself when the pain is unbearable and you will request for an epidural, chances are very high that you will take an epidural. However if epidural is never an option for you in the first place, then chances are you will not take it...just my two cents worth ;)

and yes....the laughing gas does helps alot for me...i was so high till my husband was scared! hehehe. and during labour, just tell yourself, the labour pain and contractions will be over soon!

gave birth to both of my kids epidural-less. Think the key is to walk... i walk MORE as compared when I not preggy. I did squats on alternate days from 3mths onwards...of cox when tummy become bigger, my squats from 10x down to 5x. & ya.. climb stairs....I do at my own pace... nvr push myself...just go along with the flow. :)

i gave birth to both my kids without epidural too. reason being that i am afraid of the epidural needle more than the pain. ;p

Hi gave birth to my 3 kids w/o edipural. 1st 1 was unbearable and followed by my 2 births labour pain still bearable.

What I have observed was that, those mummies who did not take epidural gave birth within 4 hours plus... Maybe that is the amount of time we can tahan till we throw the white flag and take epidural.

So the thing is to exercise during pregnancy to speed up the birthing duration. What I did was to exercise, by opening and closing my leg in the pool (easier to do it in water as legs feel less heavy) or at home (on a bed). I walk quite a lot too. But walking too much can increase your chance of experiencing leg cramp at night.

Take laughing gas to help with the pain. It does help, but you have to learn how to breath the gas from the mask. Which takes some practising.

Hope this helps.

Hi delicious
Both of us r the same. My 1st birth I walked a lot n climbed the staircase. 2nd birth I swam every week till eight mths plus den I stopped. So my 2nd n 3rd birth labour pain was v short. The labour pain lasted 3hrs plus. 1st birth I took laughing gas n subsequent birth I did not breathe at all.

Mm...I am actually one of those mommies that give in to epidural. I am glad that I did. I do not have that backache thing as I rest my back for the whole 1 month. I enjoy the whole delivery process and was actually looking forward to the process when I had my second child.

Hi @bunnymama, i took epidural as well cuz couldn't take it but it seems like it actually prevented me to push the baby out cuz i couldnt feel anything down there. End up my gynae needed to vaccumn my baby out, thinking about the process, im still scared lol I really dont know how those mummies gave births without epi, salute to them.

Back