2016/07 July babies

Is scissor easier compared to baby nail cutter?

I don't think my baby will ever sleep on my tummy on her back. Haha. She only will sleep chest to chest when on me.

Her nails grow pretty fast. If once a week cut then her nails are "dangerous" for everyone. She has been scratching her face and others who carry her. It's easiest to cut when she is on her bouncer napping. Now that I start work and when I'm home at evening , she is sleeping on her cot so a challenge to cut.
Is cos i am.quite chicken about using a clipper on her...the nail scissors is blunt and to be honest , results in ragged nails and probably run its course cos.her nails are.getting rather rigid. Will have to get a pair or clippers soon. And ya, bouncer easiest to.cut but she has to be asleep or she will battle me ....

Wow good deal leh .. Ok I buy now!! Omg chin caught on the bar so dangerous ..
The little gongtutu was still babbling at me.through the bars in that awkward.position can?!?!! I had turned around to prepare her diapers and turned.back to see.her batting.futilely at the bar with her feeble arms.

Haiz.

@snowfern yup many doctor will give steroid cream, moisturizer which I have it already. Now my baby waist there also got circular dry skin look like eczema leh
Like that cannot use soap to bathe him then, unless is moisturizing type. If persists, best to check, could be fungal.

I'M returning to work next next Mon. I am thinking what sort of pumping schedule works best. Can comment and share experience?

My hopes:
1. I hope to continue to latch baby after work (I.e from evening till next morning)
2. I hope to maintain a good supply.

What should I do? Which works best?
1. Wake up at 5.30am to pump, then pump at lunch break, latch once at my mum's place before driving home, may need to empty boobs at 8-9pm once little one sleeps for the first stretch, latch for the night

2. Pump at 9am, pump at 2-3pm, latch once at my mum's place before driving home, latch for the night

3. Pump at every 3-4hours once at work. That is 9am, 12pm, 3pm. Latch once at my mum's place before driving home, latch for the night.

I will be pumping in my room. My concern is that too frequent pumping can be very disruptive to my work as I need to attend meetings very frequently. And if I pump like option 3, the yield may not be a lot each time. Makes me wonder if it is a worthwhile effort.

For mummies with babies born in early July, has the milk intake been at plateau?

@KWL My current pump schedule is 3am, 6am, 1130 right before lunch and pump through while having my lunch at the same time cause almost 5 hours since the last pump. So I want to take longer to try and empty the boobs.

Before going home pump again at about 5pm. Try to latch my boy before he sleeps (depending, sometimes I'm home late and he already had his last feed).

So far supply didn't drop too much. But I don't know how long it will last because it's kind of tiring to wake up MOTN to pump.

If you can pump regularly at 3-4 hours I think it's good. But like you say depends on your work schedule too.

My boy now still takes about 120-160ml each feeding. Not much factuations so I guess it's at plateau?

@KWL - not sure of the hours u spend in office, so can't really advise best way for u. I share my schedule for my elder kids in case you can draw reference from it.
Pump twice at work - around 10 am and 3 pm. Before leaving work at around 6, quickly hand-express a bit to relieve as I didn't want to waste time setting up and washing. Reach home around 7 pm latch bb last feed before bb KO. Latch throughout night. Morning pump one time at around 6 before leaving for work. Managed to sustain complete breastfeeding till bb was 1.5 yo. Switched to fresh milk thereafter.
Whichever schedule u eventually decide on, just don't skip pumps, even if u need to rush for a meeting, spend 5 mins to hand express first.
I must add a qualifier though, both my elder babies were small eaters throughout. Even at 1.5 yo, they never exceeded 120 ml each feed. Hence I think that was also a reason why I managed to sustain bfdg so long, if bigger appetite may not be able to tong.

Your option 2 seems similar to mine. Personally, I'm not confident that option 1 will enable you to sustain long as the gap before pumping/feeding too far apart.

Last edited:
@Sa_rahhhh and @tuna thanks for sharing! I am usually a 8.30-6pm schedule. It may appear like a normal and pretty good timing, but is total madness during the day and sometimes I have to carry on from home. Stress might kill my milk supply.

My little one is also a small eater now. About 100ml per feed currently. As my baby is not sleeping thru the night yet, I guess my final schedule will be very alike Tuna with night feedings so I can skip the MOTN pump Liao.

@tuna how much can u pump each time? And for hand expression, how much do u press out? Or it depends on hiw engorged u are?

Btw, I don't think I need the pump just before leaving office because I will be heading over to my mum place that is like a 10-15min drive only.

On days I don't have morning meetings, I will follow tuna's timing to pump at 9-10am then another time at 2-3pm. So that I have milk to latch baby when I touch down at my mum place at 6+. Then I drive home. And maybe 7+, 8+ baby will sleep. And if I still full, I will pump out at 9+ before I sleep.

If I have a busy morning, I will wake up to pump at 5-6+. I think I cannot take it if I wake up everyday at 5+ to pump. Job drains a lot of mind power. Will be too tired and be dangerous on the road.

I can only afford about 10 mins each pump, about 120-140 ml each. Die die must squeeze out about 270 ml everyday la. That was when bb had already started semi-solids. Before bb turned 6 mths, I spent a bit more time to pump, must get enough for 4 feeds.

Thanks @tuna. These are great references. Appreciate it! I have completely forgotten about hand expression. That will be my desperate measure.

Do u know if Hakka can do the job better than hand expression? I was thinking worst case is to just use that while I one hand control mouse and continue to use brain.

Actually I am very envious of those who stay with mum or have mums close by or husband that can fetch both baby to mum's house and wife to work.

Fortunately, my office is still relatively close to my mum's place. Cannot imagine if it is out of the way type. My old bones will break.

Thanks @tuna. These are great references. Appreciate it! I have completely forgotten about hand expression. That will be my desperate measure.

Do u know if Hakka can do the job better than hand expression? I was thinking worst case is to just use that while I one hand control mouse and continue to use brain.
Haakaa will b useful if you already have the flow ie. latch bb and collect with haakaa the other side or if you are using single pump (pump one side, collect other side with haakaa). Otherwise it won't serve any purpose to you.
Maybe on days u r super tired, just spend the night at mum's house, save you the drive back.

Staying over is also an option that I have considered. But then I need to feed my poor dogs. Worst case then I activate that.

I am using philip avent twin pump. Problem is that it is not handsfree. And I tend to have blocked ducts that require massage while pumping. So very jialat. Need to think of a way to kiap. And then still hold mouse and use brain lol.

I have a DIY handsfree sports bra but it doesn't work well as I don't empty my breasts very well whenever I use that. I need to go bare!

Staying over is also an option that I have considered. But then I need to feed my poor dogs. Worst case then I activate that.

I am using philip avent twin pump. Problem is that it is not handsfree. And I tend to have blocked ducts that require massage while pumping. So very jialat. Need to think of a way to kiap. And then still hold mouse and use brain lol.

I have a DIY handsfree sports bra but it doesn't work well as I don't empty my breasts very well whenever I use that. I need to go bare!
A lot of working mummies seem to swear by Freemie, however I don't think it is compatible with Avent :(

As to blocked ducts, they also seem to swear by lecithin. Do you massage before you express/latch? The KKH LC and nurses kept harping at me to do it before each feed to prevent blocked ducts, a friend of mine recently started and she said it does seem to help her increase her supply too....I do it when I need to relieve pressure from engorgement before hand expressing, seems to aid the flow in my experience.

https://www.kkh.com.sg/HealthPedia/Pages/BreastfeedingHeadstart.aspx

(Click cancel if a popup asks u to login, pics on how to massage at bottom. I do fast fast, few secs only, if I am not engorged.)

@tuna your kids been keeping you busy huh! Kinda missed you and @gan1972, hope her bb's rash problem has been resolved....

I rem u once asked how we rinse bb's bottom before they go into the tub, I.tried your method of plonking baby on/between your feet/calves, life has been much easier since! I only some times a bit scared she straighten her legs suddenly and slip through my calves and knock her head....haha very "final destination" imagination ....

Haakaa will b useful if you already have the flow ie. latch bb and collect with haakaa the other side or if you are using single pump (pump one side, collect other side with haakaa). Otherwise it won't serve any purpose to you.
Maybe on days u r super tired, just spend the night at mum's house, save you the drive back.
I love my haakaa, however it also has a tendency to "unlatch" if left unattended, very heart pain one when the liquid gold spills :( but ya, I use it on my off boob while bb latching on the other, I easily collect 80mls or so just on let down and its gentle suction...

A lot of working mummies seem to swear by Freemie, however I don't think it is compatible with Avent :(
Yes it is compatible with spectra I think. I am not very confident how long my bf journey will last so I won't invest in another.

And u asked if I massage. No hahahhaa. Lazy. So that's why I suffer lor!

I love my haakaa, however it also has a tendency to "unlatch" if left unattended, very heart pain one when the liquid gold spills :( but ya, I use it on my off boob while bb latching on the other, I easily collect 80mls or so just on let down and its gentle suction...

Ouch! 80ml is a lot!!! More than probably some mum's combined output.

And u asked if I massage. No hahahhaa. Lazy. So that's why I suffer lor!
Hahaha like la bi xiao xin mama always say, "bu4 zhi2 de2 jiao1 ao4 de4 !" Lolol. I always forget de, except when growth spurt and she already suck me flat then before latch I will massage the deflated boobs in hopes of satisfying her.

Can one la. Really chop chilli chop chop, the nurse demo on me, not even 5 seconds just rough up your boobs can liao!

Ouch! 80ml is a lot!!! More than probably some mum's combined output.
But is quality that matters, not quantity. My 80mls can sometimes look like barley water, no wonder last time my bb watery poop 6 times a day la, always crying in pain due to colic la, cannot sleep longer than 3 hrs cos hungry la (fatty milk more filling), reflux la...

Too little got problem, too much got problem, breastfeeding is no joke lor.

I managed to find a way to type while expressing on the rare occasions i use my Medela PISA. I put a small pillow on my lap, balance the bottles on it, then use both arms to sort of gently kiap the bottles so they dont fall. Still can type, hahaha, but position awkward la. Mayb like what @snowfern does, massage liao then pump.

Hi mommies, your little one taken 5 in 1, pneumococcal and rotavirus in one shot? The fever can subside in one day? My baby's appointment with poly clinic on this coming Thurs 3/11, quite worry. My friends advise to split the vaccination and not to take in one shot.

@snowfern - u miss me? Very touched :) been busy becos LO's slp still horrible ever since her jab. She needs "charging" every hour or so (can see the signs, rub eyes, yawning, pulling hair etc) but she doesnt know she's sleepy, keeps fighting sleep and gets crankier and crankier as the zzz monster continues to beckon. Carry / tula / sling also can't sleep for long. Sometimes in middle of night at 3 plus or 4 will also wake to chat for about 2 hrs. Today and yesterday slightly better, prob due to rain, cool and dark.
On washing butt, haha, you think of so many scenarios. I fast hand fast leg spray spray then plonk her in to swim, don't want to think so much.
Christmas coming, see the red and green deco around so happy. Been having a super craving for Starbucks' peppermint mocha!

@snowfern - u miss me? Very touched :) been busy becos LO's slp still horrible ever since her jab. She needs "charging" every hour or so (can see the signs, rub eyes, yawning, pulling hair etc) but she doesnt know she's sleepy, keeps fighting sleep and gets crankier and crankier as the zzz monster continues to beckon. Carry / tula / sling also can't sleep for long. Sometimes in middle of night at 3 plus or 4 will also wake to chat for about 2 hrs. Today and yesterday slightly better, prob due to rain, cool and dark.
On washing butt, haha, you think of so many scenarios. I fast hand fast leg spray spray then plonk her in to swim, don't want to think so much.
Christmas coming, see the red and green deco around so happy. Been having a super craving for Starbucks' peppermint mocha!
No wonder le...it coincides with another growth spurt I think, you also got a chatty one! I already give up on what to expect, everyday like different...T.T

Treat yourself! You deserve it!

Hi mommies, your little one taken 5 in 1, pneumococcal and rotavirus in one shot? The fever can subside in one day? My baby's appointment with poly clinic on this coming Thurs 3/11, quite worry. My friends advise to split the vaccination and not to take in one shot.
Mine did hers last Friday, 5-in-1, pneumococcal and rotavirus at hougang polyclinic. If you scroll about 2 pages or so back, you can read the blow-by-blow account of @KWL and my experience.

Regarding spacing it out, I feel that what she experienced was manageable, and since Rota has a small window of opportunity (this is only 1 of 2 oral doses) to be effective, I made the choice to do it in one shot and not drag it out. Like ripping a plaster off fast fast. Pain is short and sweet, better than dragging it out and risking her catching anything in between, as they will not be able to take their vaccines if unwell.

My experience seems a little overdramatic, but it is rare that fevers exceed 38 deg, I was the only one who experienced it out of a group of 15 or so mummies in the whatsapp July punggol babies group so far. And my family has a history of getting high fevers.

Last edited:
No wonder le...it coincides with another growth spurt I think, you also got a chatty one! I already give up on what to expect, everyday like different...T.T

Treat yourself! You deserve it!
Growth spurt doesn't just mean bb needs more milk uh? Difficulty sleeping also occurs? Last time didn't hv these patterns with #1 and #2, didn't even know when the growth spurts were. Could still watch korean show in the room when bb naps in afternoon. This one challenging sia - refuse bottle, suddenly cannot slp well, wakes at the slightest noise. So yim chim!

We should just put bubbles n mine together and let them chat at each other while we two sit back n relax! Her latest fascination is with the fan in the piano room. When I play and try to intro her to music, all she wants to do is talk to the fan on the floor. Wish I knew what she's chatting so animatedly about.

Any babies using Huggies here? The old green packaging that LOs used in hospital no more is it? Cannot find in ntuc. The promoter told me the packaging changed, now red and called Total Protection. So I got two packs. But material and cutting so different, cannot be the same! And out of the 10 times she pooed, 9 leaked! WTH?!

Growth spurt doesn't just mean bb needs more milk uh? Difficulty sleeping also occurs? Last time didn't hv these patterns with #1 and #2, didn't even know when the growth spurts were. Could still watch korean show in the room when bb naps in afternoon. This one challenging sia - refuse bottle, suddenly cannot slp well, wakes at the slightest noise. So yim chim!

We should just put bubbles n mine together and let them chat at each other while we two sit back n relax! Her latest fascination is with the fan in the piano room. When I play and try to intro her to music, all she wants to do is talk to the fan on the floor. Wish I knew what she's chatting so animatedly about.

Any babies using Huggies here? The old green packaging that LOs used in hospital no more is it? Cannot find in ntuc. The promoter told me the packaging changed, now red and called Total Protection. So I got two packs. But material and cutting so different, cannot be the same! And out of the 10 times she pooed, 9 leaked! WTH?!

We should lor! They are so similar! Bubbles used to looooooove the ceiling fan and still does, just that she now has so many other bff to chat with lol

Find one day we come out ley play date! But I stay Hg...I think quite far from you iirc....

Re: growth spurt. To be honest all this growth spurt, wonder weeks, stormy weeks all makes.my.head spin. Last time babies where got so complicated one!?! Personally, although I can't seem to tell the difference, this chart can be rather eerily accurate:
IMG-20161016-WA0007.jpg

To me, growth spurt comes with developmental leaps, e.g. since her vaccination, which is also exactly on wk14, she slept better, ate more, babbled more, found her thumb (wah this one i headache), mimics speech (she now can say "hello" with eerie accuracy when prompted, but I dun consider it first words cos she doesn't understand what she's saying), flipping side to side but not completely......but along with it comes increased appetite (she started.nursing every 1.5 hrs or so, and is long latch type), I cannot leave her sight, always want carry, wraps lost sleepydust. It's been 2 days of this now, feeling damn touched out! Fussing more when she eats too, even though her gas issues seem to have improved by leaps and bounds. Then again, she only pooped today after no sight nor.smell since Sunday huhuhu

Re: huggies - ya! Is the new sleeker looking package right? I read that if they wearing wrong size confirm leak, and usually is cos size too small! Bubbles now wearing M, but I found out a possible reason: the inner gusset is much narrower, and I realised one side often gives bubbles wedgies!!! So now when I use it on her, I make sure both inner gusset flip out. So far so good, today's poonami was .....I can't find the words to describe it. But it was contained! I was amazed at the volume! I don't think I can eat Japanese curry for quite some time!

Mine did hers last Friday, 5-in-1, pneumococcal and rotavirus at hougang polyclinic. If you scroll about 2 pages or so back, you can read the blow-by-blow account of @KWL and my experience.

Regarding spacing it out, I feel that what she experienced was manageable, and since Rota has a small window of opportunity (this is only 1 of 2 oral doses) to be effective, I made the choice to do it in one shot and not drag it out. Like ripping a plaster off fast fast. Pain is short and sweet, better than dragging it out and risking her catching anything in between, as they will not be able to take their vaccines if unwell.

My experience seems a little overdramatic, but it is rare that fevers exceed 38 deg, I was the only one who experienced it out of a group of 15 or so mummies in the whatsapp July punggol babies group so far. And my family has a history of getting high fevers.

Thanks @snowfern, I will scroll back and read the experience from you guys.
Think I will take the combo package as you guys, as my boy is going to four months soon. A little bit behind the schedule.

@snowfern - ya, I remember thinking at wk 13 this bb really quite a Little Miss Sunshine, then the jabs at wk 14 seemed to hv totally jinxed it. Crap!
Bubble is super at mimicking sounds. Future linguist in the making! On the whole day carrying, I feel you! Think we can only grin and press on.
Ooh, a playdate sounds fun!!! We need to find a place and a date then we can make it happen.

On the Huggies, I'm not sure if we're referring to the same type. I haven't figured out how to attach picture here yet :p but it's called Huggies Total Protection.

I think so far ~15wk is the worst for my gal. That sleep regression omg ultimate fuss I was thinking did I carry back home a wrong child when I was out.

Although the storm pic is above 17wk (currently so), she is the most cooperative now. Can drift to sleep in cot; can predict when she will wake up; drinks more and regular. Don't know how long this will stay but I'd just say I shall enjoy while it lasts.

Topic on jab : is the 6-in-1 and 5-in-1 a one time jab? She had hers weeks ago (6-in-1) and is due for next jab on Monday. Is there another course of 6-in-1 to be done or it's totally different kind? I have no clue for now what's the coming Monday's.

This mean u going to bring your laptop and pump to nursing room ?
Your work schedule sound stressful leh

I think KWL meant she is pumping in her office room.

I'm feeling work stress now that I only returned this week. Quite a few things have changed and it's gonna take a toll on me I predict. I'm feeling pessimistic.

This week has been good over here. As per snowfern's chart. It is the sunshine period for us.

Today I decided to go Jalan with my mum and baby before I go back to work next next week.

We had lunch. Managed to get baby to sleep in her pram when we rocked her gently while waiting for food. The moment we finished, eyes opened wide wide.

My mum says faster go to kiddy palace!!! And poof we go! And I really hate going to kiddy palace now because I always end up buying toys hahaha. This time a 1,2,3 soft book.

I bought it cos my little one was kicking in excitement and holding the book up by her own. See Liao heart melt and Buay tahan and buy.

Costs < $9 after 10% disc. I showed hubby the full pic and he says cheap and ask me to buy.

IMG_1096.JPG

My little one was also very kaypo and lifting head and turning all about to look look see see. Ended up sleeping very little. And after the shopping, she totally concussed from 5-7.30pm. I dug her up and she could only last for 1hr before she is gone for the night.

This mean u going to bring your laptop and pump to nursing room ?
Your work schedule sound stressful leh

Yes redvel is right. I will be pumping at my desk in my office. But I plan to set up a cardboard fortress because the cubicle partition is not high enough.

My boss 要求完美.

KWL my gal has the similar book but A-B-C one. It's one of her fav because of the sound and she likes to crumble it and stuff the corners of the pages into her mouth.

KWL wow at your desk... Why not go to nursing room? My office got two nursing room at level 2&3 and I'm at level 7.. Actually I can pump at my desk as I'm facing window la but don't want .. All my colleague last time also went down to nursing room so now is my turn to go down .. Hee Hee I plan to pump in the morning 5:30am,in office will be 11am, 4pm, and before I go to bed will pump at 10pm

KWL wow at your desk... Why not go to nursing room? My office got two nursing room at level 2&3 and I'm at level 7.. Actually I can pump at my desk as I'm facing window la but don't want .. All my colleague last time also went down to nursing room so now is my turn to go down .. Hee Hee I plan to pump in the morning 5:30am,in office will be 11am, 4pm, and before I go to bed will pump at 10pm

The nearest nursing room is at next building. So taking into account of the walking and distance, I think I cannot. People sure say I eat snake. I just got to do it at my desk. I will bring a nursing cover cos I might not lock the room if it is not lunch time.

@snowfern - ya, I remember thinking at wk 13 this bb really quite a Little Miss Sunshine, then the jabs at wk 14 seemed to hv totally jinxed it. Crap!
Bubble is super at mimicking sounds. Future linguist in the making! On the whole day carrying, I feel you! Think we can only grin and press on.
Ooh, a playdate sounds fun!!! We need to find a place and a date then we can make it happen.

On the Huggies, I'm not sure if we're referring to the same type. I haven't figured out how to attach picture here yet :p but it's called Huggies Total Protection.
Ok! I cannot come up w at suggestions now nor how to execute it, damn groggy, but let's figure something out! Will PM u!

I checked, it's huggies platinum,
HuggiesPlatinumDiapers-M64.png

My hubby was told this is the new packaging replacing the old green one, he got it from NTUC, why the sales staff anyhow pom one...

Last week had sale at NTUC, 2 packs for 40+, can mix sizes, we got M and L since I already switch to full cloth diapers and only plan to use it when outside. If we meeting anytime soon I can bring sample let u try!

I dunno whether to wake bubbles up. She slept at 9.30, first time sleep this long. The day must have worn her out, we went to see my aunt, and she refused to sleep in the pram, only want carry. Damn chum. Even in the sling slept max an hr combined from 10am to 4pm. Come back also keep on dowan to sleep. No wonder height only 50%, no chance to grow....^#@&#*-&^-==@^-!##

I think so far ~15wk is the worst for my gal. That sleep regression omg ultimate fuss I was thinking did I carry back home a wrong child when I was out.

Although the storm pic is above 17wk (currently so), she is the most cooperative now. Can drift to sleep in cot; can predict when she will wake up; drinks more and regular. Don't know how long this will stay but I'd just say I shall enjoy while it lasts.

Topic on jab : is the 6-in-1 and 5-in-1 a one time jab? She had hers weeks ago (6-in-1) and is due for next jab on Monday. Is there another course of 6-in-1 to be done or it's totally different kind? I have no clue for now what's the coming Monday's.
I can't remember offhand, but the health booklet should indicate....I rem some require more than one dose to be effective (hep b? Rota) but all the info in my head give back to nurse liow gahahhaha

Wah so good, your bbs like to hold the cloth books, mine no interest at all, only happy to stare and laugh :( she's also not a good shopper, go kiddy palace, baby fair...show her new things she ignore, preferring to look at signboards or lights....she also not very grabby, I fear her hand eye coordination is crap, augh how to make her sleep more to develop physically when all she wants to do is play and babble?!? Even so, I don't know how to play with her! Eh but she likes to play face towel tug o' war during bath time....probably cos she's half naked augh

Last edited:
KWL wow next building that's very troublesome leh..no wonder u plan to pump in your office. Haha

Snowfern sound like she is going to STTN soon. Haha

KWL wow next building that's very troublesome leh..no wonder u plan to pump in your office. Haha

Snowfern sound like she is going to STTN soon. Haha
Issit? Not.cos she never nap in the day? But I read they must nap also ...very worried ley...

Yes overtired more difficult to sleep but she didn't give u hard time before sleep, so don't think she is overtired. Is she more than 6kg now? I read baby more than 6kg likely to STTN. Haha hopefully tonight she can be the same too.

I am borderline 6kg lol. My little one seems to have lesser middle of the night wakes. At least lesser by 1 time. Seems to go back to the original time I started. But then god knows when is he next fussy period and everything jeopardize again.

Though mine can hold softbook and can chuckle, mine still cannot hold head stable. Lol. See some skills good and head while some basic skills are lacking. as long as u happy, baby happy then okay. 勉强没有幸福

Yesterday I also took the chance to re-organize my breast milk stash. Very worried not enough to last till 6mth old. While all the pumping plans well thought ahead, i wonder how far my body and mind can go.

I told u all about the sudden drop in milk supply and my mum saw my face sour until dunnoe like what. She encouraged me and say that it is already amazing that I have gone this far. If cannot also nvm. At least u have tried your best to lay a good foundation. Hubby also say don't have then use formula. No need to make it sound like doomsday. I am glad that they are supportive and never stress me further But Ah the guilt and depressed feeling really will still inevitably kick in.

I cannot imagine that emotional rollercoaster that I will go thru when weaning off.

Back