Milk Allergy

mkosh

Hello mummies,

I think my girl (1yo) might have milk allergy. She will have rashes on her cheek and around her mouth if she bites on milk teething rusk. And rashes and throwing up if she consumed anything containing milk, yogurt, ice cream, cake.

I'm currently breastfeeding and would like to wean her off soon, and looking for formula for her.

Any mummies with similar experience, which milk I can try for her?

I tried to discuss it with my PD, but he seems to rush it off (he has a lot of patients) and just ask me to continue breastfeeding.

Actually she took NAN Pro 1 for the first 2 weeks after she was born because my milk supply was not enough for her. But on total breast milk since then.

Do you think it is necessary to consult with allergist?

My girl is on soy milk (isomil) since 9 months old after I stop breastfeeding. She is coming to 2 now. U can try to ask for sample from your PD or from the milk powder company.

My Son ( currently 2 years old) has cow's milk protein allergy too. He has been on breast milk (direct feeding) since birth. I observed the symptoms when he first started solid. Whenever he tried something with milk, itchy rashes appear all over his face. The most serious symptom was eye swallow after he tried a little cheese. But the symptoms seem to improve a lot after one year. He still cannot take cow's milk, cheese, yogurt, cream and all that. But he can eat those bread or biscuit with a little cow's milk inside. They will probably outgrow it, however take time. He is on oat milk now. But he dislike it. So I only serve one time per day. A lot of soy is nog good for boy because of hormone in it. So I choose oat milk. Bio green brand.

Oh dear. Ur gals reaction does sound quite severe! Hope she gets well soon! Have u tried alternatives such as soy milk, almond milk, goats milk? Sometimes may be the lactose intolerance too n some brands have lactose free formula. Don't despair as usually the children can develop a certain degree of resistance to this allergy over time. Worst comes to worse have to seek out donor breastmilk if all else fails ya.
My gal drinks friso now, previously was on breastmilk fully for first 8 months.
Good luck!

Just thought I'll add to the thread for future mums with kids with similar problems.

My little one was only 2 months old when we found out she had milk allergy. Unfortunately she had a particular severe type of allergic reaction.

She was initially breastfed and given infant formula as a supplement. She suddenly started having diarrhea about 8-10 times a day(she normally poops 4-5 times daily initially) and even regurgitated her feeds causing us to panic. As she was dehydrated and can't feed, we brought her to KK Children Emergency where she was given an IV drip and admitted to High Dependency.

At first, the Drs thought it was some kind of stomach infection but the blood test didn't find any infection. She improved with the IV drip but everytime we restarted the milk in hospital, either breast or formula, her severe diarrhoea came back. One of the PD Gastro Dr saw her and tried a partially hydrolysed milk formula called "Alfare" Everything went smooth from then on and she was discharged after about 10 days.

Awesome Job KK AnE and Peads HD team!

Anyway..after being on "alfare"for about a month, we tried giving her some breast milk..Only 30ml. Bad idea!!.. she developed diahoea (2-3x) again and we almost sent her to hospital.

We tried again when she was six months. She could already take some solids so milk was less vital for her now. Abt 6-8 hours after trying 30 ml formula milk she for got cold sweats, became very irritable and had a lot of colic and loose stools the next day.

When she was one yr old and wanting to eat more food, we let her try some yogurt. Bad idea again, and she felt cold again and was cranky that night. Tried a soy infant formula too, thankfully no problems.

Note: If a baby has cow milk protein allergy. It's very likely that they will get the same reaction with goat milk, as some of the proteins are similar. Also, about 30% of cow milk protein allergy patients also have Soy allergy. Dont do a food re-challenge without medical advice/supervision!

Now she's 1 1/2 yrs old. No milk, cheese, chocolates or yogurt for her.
Will probably try again when she's closer to 2 yrs.

Thankfully most children will outgrow cows milk protein allergy by 3 yrs old.

Some useful links for info:
http://www.gikids.org/content/103/en/cows-milk-protein-intolerance

http://fpiesfoundation.org/about-fpies-3/

https://www.farmaline.cn/health/search/Alfare/
(Bought my milk online, cheaper than hospital pharmacy)

Hope the post was useful!

Back