Pregnant and jobless

as long as my gynae provides me with hospital leave, my company will not reject it. in any case, anything happen to me or my babies, who will want to be responsible? furthermore i go by the books, hospitalization leave and maternity leave all black and white, official. my boss is good to me and so i want him to find the correct person to cover me during maternity leave and eventually take over my job. i keep my boss & team in the loop from i TTC all the way to now 6 months pregnant. for example i 1 month pregnant, i already inform them. i'm not that type of person who keep secret and scare that company will fire me, then suddenly quit and leave my team in jeopardy. but everyone have their own concern, for me, i care more about conscience towards my boss and my team.

according to MOM rules, you cannot use maternity leave for tender period. so i will go back one day to tender, and use my annual leaves to offset my tender period. if not enough, my boss will request HR to allow me leave early. of course is case by case basis. if you are not good term with your boss, then will be hard i guess.. no boss likes surprise especially will impact the team

That's almost 10 months of getting paid and not doing any work. Is it any wonder why the other unfortunate ladies here couldn't find a job or get asked to leave because they are pregnant. If I were a business owner, I would steer clear of pregnant women too.

If anything were to happen to you or your babies, who is to be responsible? I'd say it's up to you to do what's best. If quitting the job is the right decision, you should instead of staying on to milk the system, especially when you don't have intention to stay with the company to contribute further.

I may sound harsh but the reality is, what you're doing is making it hard for other pregnant women to find or stay in their job.

That's almost 10 months of getting paid and not doing any work. Is it any wonder why the other unfortunate ladies here couldn't find a job or get asked to leave because they are pregnant. If I were a business owner, I would steer clear of pregnant women too.

If anything were to happen to you or your babies, who is to be responsible? I'd say it's up to you to do what's best. If quitting the job is the right decision, you should instead of staying on to milk the system, especially when you don't have intention to stay with the company to contribute further.

I may sound harsh but the reality is, what you're doing is making it hard for other pregnant women to find or stay in their job.
actually i do bring back my laptop and work if needed. i told my colleagues if need my help, i can come back. the problem is my colleagues quite worried for me too. for example i try to open a tight lid container, they also rush to help me because they scare will induce labour =/ so i guess without me, they are more relax.

according to MOM rules, if you have inform your company that you are pregnant and you have confirmed by gynae, and your company choose to fire or ask you to leave, you can inform MOM and your company has to pay you maternity leave.

i don't think my decision is milking the system as i have inform my boss 2yrs ago. if i dun plan to TTC, i would quit my job long time ago, which i also inform my boss. even during my TTC, i took MC & leave to see gynae or TCM, my boss also know. so throughout 2 yrs, my boss & team is always in the loop in my TTC journey (i guess not many will inform their boss like me) so i do not think my action is making hard for other pregnant woman because i always am honest to my boss and company. my boss and i even sit down to plan when i should take maternity leave, how many days i can offset my resignation, when is the best date to resign.

i think those pregnant choose not to disclose that they are pregnant or those lie during interview like ssybaby has post are those that bosses & companies want to avoid. what boss & company wants is a honest employee who can keep them updated so that they can manage the team and distribute the workload accordingly. but everyone has their own difficulties for keeping their pregnancy secret or lie during interivew. cannot expect everyone' boss to behave like my boss who genuinely cares for their employees.

I agree. Pixie is lucky. I know of bosses who would engineer her position out even though they are frank. For mine, I told him my child is my priority and yet I got nonsense from him. My gf told me to find a boss with a family next time so that he/she will empathise more.

A boss with a family does not guarantee an understanding and reasonable boss. I had a local boss in his 60s who has a family. But well, his career wife and two grown up kids are too busy for him. He will always find excuses to call us for extended meetings to debate on trivial matters or stroll into our offices just few minutes before work ends to 'talk' to us at length for at least an hour or so making it impossible for us to leave the office. But if he has an appointment with the wife, he will want to push away all his office appearances even though he is the best person to represent the company given his position.

However, this is by far the most un-family friendly and un-understanding boss I have encountered. It makes it difficult for one to work with.

I have worked with very demanding bossess but reasonable, and they are a joy to work with as I learnt many valuable lessons from them along the way.

I agree. Pixie is lucky. I know of bosses who would engineer her position out even though they are frank. For mine, I told him my child is my priority and yet I got nonsense from him. My gf told me to find a boss with a family next time so that he/she will empathise more.

i always try to communicate with my boss. when i was single, i do put effort in my work, helping my team when they need help. after with my spouse, he told me he dun really like kids, so i thought my plan will be the same. but not sure why, my spouse suddenly change his mind and want kids. so when we TTC, i told my team & boss that my plan has change. i do not plan to have kids because i dun have "maternity biology clock" but since my spouse wants, i also cannot reject. and if i have kids, my focus will not be work anymore because i want to bring up my kids with my 2 hands. i dun believe in giving birth, then put my kids to infant care, childcare or maid to look after and miss all the chances of them growing up. plus i know my body not strong, if not i wun take almost 2yrs to get pregnant, so i always pre-empt my boss & team if i pregnant, i definitely will be confine to bed rest most of the time.

i think my boss & team always in the loop from the start, so they have xin li zhun bei.. not as shock as suddenly announce "i am pregnant and will be taking leaves"

interesting topic and experiences to share.

I used to give many pregnant ladies or those TTC a chance but when it's my turn, I'm not that lucky.
I got pregnant and informed my mgr 1 week after knowing (I was around 5-6wks)
As I am not married, I still have to inform him to update the HR (I'm already a confirm staff)
I thought getting "congratulations" from him would somehow be a nice gesture but slowly I find things getting difficult.
I was quite sick and updated him on the progress but he did not seem pleased.
One of my retail staff was pregnant at the same period and his 1st qtn to me was "Why is she always on MC? Can she work? If not we need to quickly find replacement".
I was taken aback and sensed something bad.
Very soon my mgr started telling me my performance is bad, he didn't like the MC that I had to take (it's our entitlement!) etc etc
Some weeks later, I told him I need to take a break and recover well then back to work again fresh.
It was also the same day I was told I had mis-miscarried from my gynae.
My mgr sat me down to "chat" with me and hinted me to tender instead.
I wasn't given any chances.
After my mini confinement period, am now miscarried and jobless too.

Not sure if it might help, but for those who dun mind a job that doesn't pay basic but high comm, you can PM me for more details. (not insurance, property, MLM etc) It is a legitimate job, though you will need to put in a lot of effort initially to build your pipeline.

I am on my 6th week pregnancy and was retrench recently.. I am looking for a job.. I worked in a bank before... If anyone knows some admin jobs that accepting pregnant ladies pls help me...

For those who suggested not revealing your pregnancy to the company during interview, then how about pre employment medical checkup? U will be asked to go for checkup and go thru urine test and xray. So still they will find out. For my case, I m not preggie now. But I'm looking for a job after being said for a decade. And I am a hypertension n diabetic (I used to Hv GD), was asked to go for medical checkup and now am so worried I will be rejected for the job cos I'm not healthy. Feeling stress..

Hi Claris, tried sending email to you but it bounce back.

Could you briefly share what kind of work you are doing?

Currently I'm a full time working mother and wonder if this work can be done during my free time.

Kindly PM me. Thanks.

Reading the unjustified dismissal because of pregnancy really makes one feel indignant! Isn't there some govt agency to complain to? I thought TAFEP is supposed to look into this?

I agree, the govt is encouraging Singaporeans to have more children yet, given the work life balance and unjust regulations surrounding pregnancy and maternity leave, it's not helping much.

I'm a recent migrant from Australia. I took 12 months to settle into Singapore/take a break from working and recently started to look for jobs (since Jan 2016) attended a few interviews and no avail but now 6 weeks pregnant. Recruiters are calling and lining up interviews. Ive had to tell a recruiter that I'm pregnant and the interview is on Thursday, let's see if they come back with the 'thanks but not thanks'

Hi all, I'm currently looking for a Part Time Admin staff to support one of the department in terms of data updating etc.
Working arrangement is as such -
4 hours per day (AM) e.g 9am - 1pm
Min 3 days a week.. might stretch to full 5 days if volume is high.

this would be ideal for mums whose kids are currently in school and they would like to kill time by finding a simple pt job :)

pm me if you are keen!

I found out I was pregnant after already deciding not to renew my work contract and move to another country, where both husband and I will be jobless, no roof over our heads, and also not enough savings, also no visa, so it's kinda make it or break it time, if we don't make it work within three months then we'll be in a shitty situation, I'd have to leave the country - but we don't even have enough money to buy the plane ticket back hahaha. Maybe hopefully deported? Well, as I said to him, "Maybe we don't get to choose when our babies come to us." I've miscarried before, now is the ultimate WORST time in my life I could have a baby, but, we don't get to choose. Even if we have to sleep in the streets in cardboard boxes, I am determined to make this work. Wishing you good luck with your situation, but I think, worry less and be happy more, enjoy your pregnancy! Things will work themselves out, they always do. :)

Anyone interested to do flexible timing, part time job? Variable locations available.

It is a business the requires minimal or no start up fees.

The scope involved the usual activities in tending of shop such as stock take, cashier duties, etc.

Earnings is dependent on shop performance, which equates to the effort you put into the sales, plus commission.

Do let me know if you are interested to find out more.

Reading the unjustified dismissal because of pregnancy really makes one feel indignant! Isn't there some govt agency to complain to? I thought TAFEP is supposed to look into this?

TAFEP?!? There is no legislation in Singapore against work place discrimination. All TAFEP can do is only to promote fair in work place, THAT'S ALL!! Yes, they will liaise with MOM but eventually nothing can be done. After all who contribute more tax.... a company or us?!?

I choose to be honest and tell the company, but got dismissed too. :(
it is very disheartening especially when i signed their appointment letter then i tendered the previous job, leaving me jobless now.

My boss gave me a choice to leave or stay and i choose to stay and he said he will work something out and discuss with his boss. But yet few days later came back to me that he FELT that i am not suitable. Can feel one meh for just a few days?

This is horrendous. It's like there's no fair law to protect pregnant women at all.

The employer, upon knowing this news, would obviously change their dismissal rationale from "she's pregnant" in fear of the "law" into a "She's not suitable for the job" - now really? How unscrupulous is that?

How's everybody doing here?
I've been employed at my workplace for almost 4 years now, I'm currently 8 weeks in and uncertain of how to break the news to my boss. I have a bad feeling I would be in the same position of "suddenly" being redundant and having poor performance as some of the ladies here. This is giving me unneeded stress, not something we pregnant ladies should be experiencing... :(

http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/maternity-leave/can-an-employer-dismiss-a-pregnant-employee-from-her-job

I found out I was pregnant after already deciding not to renew my work contract and move to another country, where both husband and I will be jobless, no roof over our heads, and also not enough savings, also no visa, so it's kinda make it or break it time, if we don't make it work within three months then we'll be in a shitty situation, I'd have to leave the country - but we don't even have enough money to buy the plane ticket back hahaha. Maybe hopefully deported? Well, as I said to him, "Maybe we don't get to choose when our babies come to us." I've miscarried before, now is the ultimate WORST time in my life I could have a baby, but, we don't get to choose. Even if we have to sleep in the streets in cardboard boxes, I am determined to make this work. Wishing you good luck with your situation, but I think, worry less and be happy more, enjoy your pregnancy! Things will work themselves out, they always do. :)
You sound like a fugitive.

Are you looking for office jobs? I may have several lobangs...

Hi,
Any office job I can grab urgently ? I’m currently pregnant (14 weeks) and just loose my job . Any job that can support me financially will be a lot of help to ease my liabilities.

Hi,
Any office job I can grab urgently ? I’m currently pregnant (14 weeks) and just loose my job . Any job that can support me financially will be a lot of help to ease my liabilities.

Hi, don't you have a husband to support you financially ? Why it sounds like you are pregnant all by yourself ?

Hi, I'm new here and would like to share my experiences of being pregnant and jobless and certainly discriminated. I do have my husband to support me somewhat and certainly not enough but its just not the same when you have your own job and being independent financially esp in SG where cost of living is high and you are expecting twins!
I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant with twins (ivf) and hasn't had a full time job since Nov 2018. Left that job due to discrimination from the GM as I was going through IVF that period. Long story but I succeeded in claiming back my hospitalisation leave , salary through TAFEP. Never realised how tough it can be to look for a job and I mean contract, temporary jobs when you are pregnant ! As if pregnancy is a crime?!
Sometime ago, I went for an interview at Popular to apply for the role as an admin staff, 6 months contract and when the HR asked at the end of the interview if I have any family planning, I told her I was pregnant. She said will contact me again but of course that didn't happen.
Another example in early this month I received a call to my application to a monthly renewal job. Its to work in CPF board call centre. Again did not hear from that person again after I told her I am pregnant because she asked if I have holiday plans.
Everyone tells me I need to be relaxed and have a happy pregnancy but its just not possible with me being jobless.

Hi, I'm new here and would like to share my experiences of being pregnant and jobless and certainly discriminated. I do have my husband to support me somewhat and certainly not enough but its just not the same when you have your own job and being independent financially esp in SG where cost of living is high and you are expecting twins!
I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant with twins (ivf) and hasn't had a full time job since Nov 2018. Left that job due to discrimination from the GM as I was going through IVF that period. Long story but I succeeded in claiming back my hospitalisation leave , salary through TAFEP. Never realised how tough it can be to look for a job and I mean contract, temporary jobs when you are pregnant ! As if pregnancy is a crime?!
Sometime ago, I went for an interview at Popular to apply for the role as an admin staff, 6 months contract and when the HR asked at the end of the interview if I have any family planning, I told her I was pregnant. She said will contact me again but of course that didn't happen.
Another example in early this month I received a call to my application to a monthly renewal job. Its to work in CPF board call centre. Again did not hear from that person again after I told her I am pregnant because she asked if I have holiday plans.
Everyone tells me I need to be relaxed and have a happy pregnancy but its just not possible with me being jobless.

Don't stress yourself, especially you are expecting right now.
Yes. It's quite stressful about being jobless. $ can never be enough.
At most for this period of time, when you are searching for a job, eat simply, and spent lesser.

I know many of you feel that it is unfair if the company dismiss the lady who is pregnant. Personally, I feel sad when hear this type of thing. As working in top management, I would say that there is no much choice especially when the company intend to recruit a staff and find out she is pregnant. The reason is very simple. The economic is bad now. In order to control costs, it’s hard to get a headcount. By recruiting a pregnant lady, there are for sure some leave for the checking and unwell. Plus the maternity leave, so end up 1 year period will effectively work for 8 months on average.. it’s very tough decision not to recruit a person just because she is pregnant.. but the reality is the company has no much choice.. HR won’t take the risk as the department head will screw them if they know the new staff is pregnant and yet HR recruit them..sad to say that it is unfair but the company has also face many problem by recruiting pregnant lady..

Don't stress yourself, especially you are expecting right now.
Yes. It's quite stressful about being jobless. $ can never be enough.
At most for this period of time, when you are searching for a job, eat simply, and spent lesser.

Hi Kelyn, can't spend any money.. all expenses to the gynae, confinement package and all necessary expenses are borne by hubby; he is stressed out too. My own insurance and bills don't stop coming just because my income stopped...

I know many of you feel that it is unfair if the company dismiss the lady who is pregnant. Personally, I feel sad when hear this type of thing. As working in top management, I would say that there is no much choice especially when the company intend to recruit a staff and find out she is pregnant. The reason is very simple. The economic is bad now. In order to control costs, it’s hard to get a headcount. By recruiting a pregnant lady, there are for sure some leave for the checking and unwell. Plus the maternity leave, so end up 1 year period will effectively work for 8 months on average.. it’s very tough decision not to recruit a person just because she is pregnant.. but the reality is the company has no much choice.. HR won’t take the risk as the department head will screw them if they know the new staff is pregnant and yet HR recruit them..sad to say that it is unfair but the company has also face many problem by recruiting pregnant lady..
There are some cases of pregnant ladies who are frequently unwell whether its genuine or some may even take advantage of their situation. I can understand from the employer's point of view but 4 months maternity benefit not all are borne by the employer. The govt pays for 2 months. And what is the logic for not hiring for contract jobs?

There are some cases of pregnant ladies who are frequently unwell whether its genuine or some may even take advantage of their situation. I can understand from the employer's point of view but 4 months maternity benefit not all are borne by the employer. The govt pays for 2 months. And what is the logic for not hiring for contract jobs?
To be frank, I have wife and 3 kids. I know how tough is the women pregnant.. that’s why I ask my wife quit her job when she has our first kids.. of course, I know not everyone can do that. What I am trying to say is that it’s not easy for a pregnant lady to work like normal.

Actually there are 2 issues backing by the employer. Firstly, the 2 months salaries are still born by employer. Not every company can accept that especially the employee is new to the company. No one will recruit an employee by knowing that she will only work for 10 mnths for 12 months salary. Second issue is the most headache one. The handover of work. The employee will be away for work for 4 months. To find another staff to take over can be a painful and costly process.

My view is that the government should bear all the 4 months costs and subsidies part of the new mummy salary for the first6 months if they really want to encourage the young couple to have baby. This problem has been there for long. At the moment you declare you pregnant, you can forget about getting a job in Singapore. Sad but it’s hard true.

To be frank, I have wife and 3 kids. I know how tough is the women pregnant.. that’s why I ask my wife quit her job when she has our first kids.. of course, I know not everyone can do that. What I am trying to say is that it’s not easy for a pregnant lady to work like normal.

Actually there are 2 issues backing by the employer. Firstly, the 2 months salaries are still born by employer. Not every company can accept that especially the employee is new to the company. No one will recruit an employee by knowing that she will only work for 10 mnths for 12 months salary. Second issue is the most headache one. The handover of work. The employee will be away for work for 4 months. To find another staff to take over can be a painful and costly process.

My view is that the government should bear all the 4 months costs and subsidies part of the new mummy salary for the first6 months if they really want to encourage the young couple to have baby. This problem has been there for long. At the moment you declare you pregnant, you can forget about getting a job in Singapore. Sad but it’s hard true.

It’s only when u have 3rd child then the maternity leave of 16 weeks are fully paid by Govt. Even u have twin it’s consider 1 birth as it happened to me . Best part is I m working for my parents so when the company had to pay for Tat 8 weeks ml, as my Father aka boss Aso not happy about it..in fact he said own company I shouldn’t even take full 16 weeks ml, shd come back earlier to work. But I know once I m back , want to take childcare leave Aso difficult lor..

Hello TS,
I tried to write you personally but something wrong. I can not understand how it could be and how they did it with you... It's illegally I think. Any way you also can work at home as many young moms. For example you can write essays, paint, make some handmades and so on. If you don't know what start with, read this page https://essay4today.com/blog/what-influences-your-career-choice and hope it helps you to determine what profession is good for you.

Back