IVF/ICSI Support Group

Precisely! Money in our medisave is our hard earn money too! I do hope they can review on this (not to cap at 15k) and increase the number of tries in this ivf thing (like 5-6 tries), especially there are more ppl going through this route.

In another way, govt may fear that we used up all in ART treatments and have no money left when we are old and sick... got pros and con

In another way, govt may fear that we used up all in ART treatments and have no money left when we are old and sick... got pros and con

Yah in a way there's pros and cons govt is controlling the use of our medisave. But to cap at 15k for 3 fresh & 3 frozen is way too little. 15k = 1 fresh cylcle in govt hospital. I do hope they can increase the cap to at least a 30k (using both husband & wife medisave)
At least it won't be so taxing if we are going for 4th or 5th rounds without the govt grant.

Totally agree. Perhaps I'm still upbeat cos it's only my first ivf fresh. But even with my recent miscarriage, a lot of people were surprised my mood recovered quickly. Of cos I'm saddened by the loss but I'm also determined to not make this baby-making thing the main focus in my life. Happy to see like-minded sisters in this thread! :)

Agree, mine failed is due to chemical pregnancy..Cry for a day and get it over..
Before I start IVF, I hesitate on should I do a 2nd one if failed cos is really mentally and financially strained (I believe mostly of us are belong to middle income sectors). But when I really failed, it make me more determined to do again cos chemical pregnancy mean to me and hubby that I can get pregnant, just that luck is not our side...
And my hubby said to me, 'let's try again, money can earn back'. I really appreciate with him by my side
I will still try but is within our limits and resources, we want a baby but is not to the expense of using up our savings...

Just sharing my thoughts from my experience during 1st fresh, I had 6 blasts and decided to put 1 in instead of 2 becos I was worried about mutiples. Conplications, development of the fetuses and subsequent caregiving kinda turned me off a bit. Dr also strongly recommended 1. I BFP-ed but short term joy. Saw a heartbeat during 6th wk but it stopped during 7th week. Doc says no need to test but likely due to chromosomes issue.

So now I made up my mind to put 2 during FET, both due to $ and due to chances of chromosomes issue and blast not implanted. After the miscarriage, I'm more emotionally ready to take on possibility of twins. More importantly, I need to strike.

Putting 1 or 2 both have their pros and cons, I feel you have to be in the right mental state else very stressed. I was really glad I was pregnant with singleton cause all the worries about caregiving and $ were becoming reality back then.

Just go with ur heart and then there will be no regrets.
I wish to put 2 but hubby insisted on 1 only. I feel that chances of striking with 2 embryos are higher! But what to do, i have a strong feeling that dr will also suggest 1...

True enough... no matter 1 or 2 embryos implanted or not, its gonna be financially straining. Have to go through the process again if the 1 dont stick! Its going to be physically and emotionally pain.
If both your hubby and yourself are financially stable, and your dr has given u the green light for 2. I actually feel that u should proceed with 2, considering that the medical technology is so advanced now. Thats my 2 cents thoughts.
How i wish ny hubby is ok to proceed with 2.

My husband is like me. Prefers to transfer two but anxious about the possibilities of having twins and the complications that come with it. The thought of having twins is such a pretty picture but we know it is not. I guess we will need the gynae to weigh in on this when I go for review.

those with sf loh at novena centre,just curious. does he do egg retrieval in the morning?i pass by there today for a bloodtest at that same floor. i saw e andrology lab still close and the clinic just open. normally for other centres,they are very busy at 8plus am. or dh loh is not at clinic in e morning?
Yes, he does ET in the morning. Btw he is only in TFC in novena centre in the morning. In the afternoon, he is usually at his O&G clinic in TMC.

Yes, he does ET in the morning. Btw he is only in TFC in novena centre in the morning. In the afternoon, he is usually at his O&G clinic in TMC.
thanks. but how come e andrology lab n clinic seems no activity for op at 8 plus am. so far i been there 2 times for collection of bloodtest results via walk in-this is wat i observed.

Last edited:
thanks. but how come e andrology lab n clinic seems no activity for op at 8 plus am. so far i been there 2 times for collection of bloodtest results via walk in-this is wat i observed.

My ET was carried out at 930am and there was 2 more person before me. The earliest appt i got was 830am though. Not sure about the opening hours.

Hi Bunny.
Have you consider making a promise? Like before I got my 1st son, I made a promise that I will become a vegetarian for 1 year and another promise which I cannot tell. Within 2 months I conceived naturally
I don't know if you believe in this thing or not. Im a Budhist but I also go to church cos my hubby is Catholic
Hi Prunia, just wondering when u make a promise to become vegetarian for 1 year, is it only for yourself or your hubby also become vegetarian?

Hi Prunia, just wondering when u make a promise to become vegetarian for 1 year, is it only for yourself or your hubby also become vegetarian?
Hi dreams. Both of us. For this successful fet he also make another promise, i didn't. Well believe it or not. It happened twice already. I think is more like would you dare to make a good sacrifice for something that you really wanted to have

Last edited:
Hi, I remember we were preg almost at the same time previously. But unfortunately mine ended early.. which stage are u at now?
Mine also ended early. I did ivf in July. Evac on 2 Sep and today's my post-mc review with my doc THH @ KKH. Waiting for the clearance on my recovery and maybe a date for my 1st FET.

Hi dreams. Both of us. For this successful fet he also make another promise, i didn't. Well believe it or not. It happened twice already. I think is more like would you dare to make a sacrifice for something that you really wanted to have
I think it's more like whether u can fulfil the promise.. I did consider becoming a vegetarian, but we still need the nutrients for baby making.. and it's not easy to stay vegetarian Everyday.
Can share what's your tips to stay vegetarian for a year? Did you start after u give birth or u start even before preg?

My ET was carried out at 930am and there was 2 more person before me. The earliest appt i got was 830am though. Not sure about the opening hours.
ic. thks for e reply. was just wondering if e same people in e andrology lab are also e embrylogist. e andrology lab seems so open..

Agree, mine failed is due to chemical pregnancy..Cry for a day and get it over..
Before I start IVF, I hesitate on should I do a 2nd one if failed cos is really mentally and financially strained (I believe mostly of us are belong to middle income sectors). But when I really failed, it make me more determined to do again cos chemical pregnancy mean to me and hubby that I can get pregnant, just that luck is not our side...
And my hubby said to me, 'let's try again, money can earn back'. I really appreciate with him by my side
I will still try but is within our limits and resources, we want a baby but is not to the expense of using up our savings...
Ya I have to say the BFP made me even more determined to press on. It's probably also a little easier to press on after a BFP. But whatever it is, the joy of pregnancy is worth it. I'll still try as far as I can, but I will try not to be too hung up about it... This thing is really totally and utterly out of our control. Will target to continue enjoy married life, dinner with friends and holidays, while going thru the attempts. Think of it as enjoy the freedom before the baby ties us down? :)

Ya I have to say the BFP made me even more determined to press on. It's probably also a little easier to press on after a BFP. But whatever it is, the joy of pregnancy is worth it. I'll still try as far as I can, but I will try not to be too hung up about it... This thing is really totally and utterly out of our control. Will target to continue enjoy married life, dinner with friends and holidays, while going thru the attempts. Think of it as enjoy the freedom before the baby ties us down? :)
yeah..let's enjoy life and jiayou at the same time :)

I think it's more like whether u can fulfil the promise.. I did consider becoming a vegetarian, but we still need the nutrients for baby making.. and it's not easy to stay vegetarian Everyday.
Can share what's your tips to stay vegetarian for a year? Did you start after u give birth or u start even before preg?
I start before. Just enjoy, dun think too much, that time i still drank milk for mommy, ate egg so is ok liao. I think dun worry when you do something good, 老天 sure will protect de. And turned out my baby was a sure strong one, i carried him 40w5d. Wish you all the luck!

those with sf loh at novena centre,just curious. does he do egg retrieval in the morning?i pass by there today for a bloodtest at that same floor. i saw e andrology lab still close and the clinic just open. normally for other centres,they are very busy at 8plus am. or dh loh is not at clinic in e morning?

Yes he do er in the morning n if need to will come in on sun to do too. Morning can be 7 plus 8am inside the ot n recovery Ward. After that he will go TMC to see his patient from surgery or delivery. 9 plus am he will go back Tfc novena to start consult as well as et. Afternoon 2pm he will be back at TMC to his own clinic.

I wish to put 2 but hubby insisted on 1 only. I feel that chances of striking with 2 embryos are higher! But what to do, i have a strong feeling that dr will also suggest 1...
Just had my review. Dr suggested 1 for me again... I will think over it again though I told him I wanna put 2, which he said ok in the end.

Did u ask the doctor why he suggested 1 only? Or it seem like most dr will suggest 1 only
I suspect it's cos I BFP before when only 1 blast was deposited and all my frozen embies are blasts. He has recommended differently for other people but I think for those who achieve blasts and are below certain age (prob 35), my doc will recommend 1. More time to try one by one. Tho I'm borderline case, I'm turning 34 this year.

My assumptions are based on the questions he asked me before advising to put 1 during my fresh cycle.

I suspect it's cos I BFP before when only 1 blast was deposited and all my frozen embies are blasts. He has recommended differently for other people but I think for those who achieve blasts and are below certain age (prob 35), my doc will recommend 1. More time to try one by one. Tho I'm borderline case, I'm turning 34 this year.

My assumptions are based on the questions he asked me before advising to put 1 during my fresh cycle.
How many more blasts do u have?

Yes he do er in the morning n if need to will come in on sun to do too. Morning can be 7 plus 8am inside the ot n recovery Ward. After that he will go TMC to see his patient from surgery or delivery. 9 plus am he will go back Tfc novena to start consult as well as et. Afternoon 2pm he will be back at TMC to his own clinic.
hi bunny,thanks. i pm you

Hmmm, funny that he recommended to transfer only one. For my recent successful FET, I put in 2 early blasties and my elder son was also one of the 2 early blasties..I am 34 this year.

Actually, I think the focus of 2 embryo transfer should be maximizing the chances of a BFP rather than worrying what happens if they both implant successfully (shouldn't it be double joy :p )

Im 39. My doctor oso at first only wanted to put 1 blast since he said mine are good quality and I oso had assisted hatching performed (small chance 1 blast to split). But my hubby insist 2, he rather has twins than failed and doctor finally ok. Lucky listened to my hubby cos i carry 1 now

Hmmm, funny that he recommended to transfer only one. For my recent successful FET, I put in 2 early blasties and my elder son was also one of the 2 early blasties..I am 34 this year.

Actually, I think the focus of 2 embryo transfer should be maximizing the chances of a BFP rather than worrying what happens if they both implant successfully (shouldn't it be double joy :p )
Ya... If 1 by 1, and keep bfn, I'll be wasting my frozen cycle grants. This was why I thot to put 2.

But I'm such a THH believer that I feel uncomfortable I'm going against his recommendation. Lol.

Im 39. My doctor oso at first only wanted to put 1 blast since he said mine are good quality and I oso had assisted hatching performed (small chance 1 blast to split). But my hubby insist 2, he rather has twins than failed and doctor finally ok. Lucky listened to my hubby cos i carry 1 now
My doc told me it's possible one of my blast may split and 2 blasts become triplets. That's scary. But what r the chances of that happening right... Slim. I also don't think my implantation rate will be that great, I really think I was lucky last round. My menses not considered regular normal pattern. I'll be doing medicated FET next. So implantation is more critical issue to me.

Looks like my decision's still inclined towards 2. Lol. Discussing on this forum always helps clears my mind.

I need some advice on FET and also trying again after miscarriage.

Dr Tan left an open date for me, ask me to call "when I'm ready". He gave me med/ duphaston for inducing menses and progynova ( assume it's for medicated FET?). I saw him quite late in the day and prob he tired I also tired, got a bit confused with his instructions for the med. will call KKH again.

I was wondering if any sisters can advise me if I shd take the duphaston to induce menses or wait for my menses to come naturally?

For FET, do we still need the ultrasound scans like we do during stims for fresh ? What are the steps like? Need to pre-empt my boss.

Any sisters tried 1 cycle after miscarriage? Cos my first menses shd be coming up in October. Due to the blackout period, best time is Nov or else it's Feb. I may be able to squeeze in Jan.

Before I embarked on STIM, my RE mentioned we will transfer two embryos if we have enough. The intention is to increase the chances of pregnancy in case one doesn't stick. Right now I'm seeking advise from those of you here, whether DH and I should consider transferring one or two embryos since the embryos quality is good? I'm weighing the pro and cons between risk of multiple pregnancy vs cost of retrying if we fail one embryo transfer. Any advise here will be greatly appreciated since this is my first time. Thank you.

Rainbow Waffles,
Before deciding,

I have a mate who transferred 2 blastos and 1 split into 2 so trios for her !! Came as a huge shock initially but its triple the joy and now they have accepted the fact that god had given them the 3 little ones.

Most REs will typically advise to transfer 1 good grade blastocyst especially first timers in fear of multiple pregnancies.
Probably a go-no-go question to transfer 2 will be that we really strike twins/trios, are we able to accept it ?
My dr had mentioned that he had patients who transfer 2/3 and strike with multiples but couldn't take it and wanted to terminate one of them... (I know this is too cruel for many of us to accept as we went through so much).

But personally, I have always opt for 2 to boost the success rates than go through an anti-climax and need to recycle again.

Just a question if performing AH will have a slim chance of 1 blasto splitting into 2 ?

Rainbow Waffles,
Before deciding,

I have a mate who transferred 2 blastos and 1 split into 2 so trios for her !! Came as a huge shock initially but its triple the joy and now they have accepted the fact that god had given them the 3 little ones.

Most REs will typically advise to transfer 1 good grade blastocyst especially first timers in fear of multiple pregnancies.
Probably a go-no-go question to transfer 2 will be that we really strike twins/trios, are we able to accept it ?
My dr had mentioned that he had patients who transfer 2/3 and strike with multiples but couldn't take it and wanted to terminate one of them... (I know this is too cruel for many of us to accept as we went through so much).

But personally, I have always opt for 2 to boost the success rates than go through an anti-climax and need to recycle again.

Just a question if performing AH will have a slim chance of 1 blasto splitting into 2 ?

Yes AH does increase implantation rates especially for older women but also got small chance to split. But my doc actually doesn't worry at all cos when I asked about that he said very very low la, he only experience twice split embryo after being gynae for long time

went in for first scan ytd. think the whole process quite fast from queue to scan to teaching of injections.
I was ask to start on orgalutran for 3 days before starting with gonal f for the next 6 days.
Is this normal? cos i am expecting to start gonal f injection immediately.

plus my hubs is also give medication for a day and to clear out his sperm on specific date. so prior to the specific date, he can't clear out?

I didn' t see anyone mentioning hubs need to take medication or starting off with orgalutran so i'm a little confused.

your embryo quality must be good :)
suggest u wait till ET to really decide based on thh recommendation. then the survival rate from defrosting can also be considered.
my past fets are like towkayneo, put 2 blasts. but I felt its cause from 8 frosties only 3 survived to transfer.

Dr Tan left an open date for me, ask me to call "when I'm ready". He gave me med/ duphaston for inducing menses and progynova ( assume it's for medicated FET?). I saw him quite late in the day and prob he tired I also tired, got a bit confused with his instructions for the med. will call KKH again.

I was wondering if any sisters can advise me if I shd take the duphaston to induce menses or wait for my menses to come naturally?

For FET, do we still need the ultrasound scans like we do during stims for fresh ? What are the steps like? Need to pre-empt my boss.

Any sisters tried 1 cycle after miscarriage? Cos my first menses shd be coming up in October. Due to the blackout period, best time is Nov or else it's Feb. I may be able to squeeze in Jan.

My doc doesn't want to use any meds to induce period even thou that time I already 2 months period didn't come, he said just wait be patient
Fet is easy. W me I came at mens day 2 to scan, start progynova vaginally until 5 days then scan again. Then start added ganirelix injection to prevent ovulation for 5 days. After 10 days checked again lining was 7.5 so doctor ok I started the crinone. 5 days later had my fet

Last edited:
went in for first scan ytd. think the whole process quite fast from queue to scan to teaching of injections.
I was ask to start on orgalutran for 3 days before starting with gonal f for the next 6 days.

plus my hubs is also give medication for a day and to clear out his sperm on specific date. so prior to the specific date, he can't clear out?

I didn' t see anyone mentioning hubs need to take medication or starting off with orgalutran so i'm a little confused.

My orgalutran started 5 days after my menopur and gonal
For hubby no meds and clear sperm a day before ER.

Rainbow Waffles,
Before deciding,

Oh my goodness, triplets! I would be in shock... Imagine the anxiety I'll have haha..

For FET the blast we will be putting in will definitely go for AH. So the chances of splitting will be lower? I'm still undecided about transferring 1 or 2, but I'm so glad more of you are weighing in. It is definitely helping..

Hi yes. My 2nd ivf same situation as you. Hubby needed to take antibiotic for a day then need to clear sperm 2 days prior ER. If you clear out sperm too early then there will old sperm when reach to ER. Too near to ER also will not have enough sperm. So better clear out 2 days before. Let's say ur ER on Wednesday, so should clear on Sunday or Monday. I also started with orgalutran for 3 days and gonal F subsequently.

My doc doesn't want to use any meds to induce period even thou that time I already 2 months period didn't come, he said just wait be patient
Fet is easy. W me I came at mens day 2 to scan, start progynova vaginally until 5 days then scan again. Then start added ganirelix injection to prevent ovulation for 5 days. After 10 days checked again lining was 7.5 so doctor ok I started the crinone. 5 days later had my fet

Hi Prunia, progynova viginally? Not pills? Do u still remember how many mg of progynova did they prescribed for u per day?

I will suggest if u are not urgent to do FET, best to let the mens come naturally cos our body is still recovering from all the jabs medicine.. And FET can be arrange quite fast in next mth when ur mens come in oct
Did doc suggest u natural or medicated FET?

Hi Prunia, progynova viginally? Not pills? Do u still remember how many mg of progynova did they prescribed for u per day?

Hi Mimi. My 1st fet attempt I took progynova orally but lining won't build up even thou already 3 weeks. Second attempt natural oso lining too thin so dr Roland change my third to took progynova vaginally 3 times a day and w estrogel oso applied 3 times a day. First I oso afraid cos tiny pill can or not go in but actually easy leh. And it worked my lining finally thick enough to proceed.
I hate progynova orally, i have a horrible horrible side effects, I told doc I cannot tahan if have to take it again. But insert from vagina I only got minimal side effect.

Hi yes. My 2nd ivf same situation as you. Hubby needed to take antibiotic for a day then need to clear sperm 2 days prior ER. If you clear out sperm too early then there will old sperm when reach to ER. Too near to ER also will not have enough sperm. So better clear out 2 days before. Let's say ur ER on Wednesday, so should clear on Sunday or Monday. I also started with orgalutran for 3 days and gonal F subsequently.

thank mimi_june for info. what is the frequency of scanning needed at KKH. previously when i did so-iui at thomson, scans are scheduleded quite frequently. like every 3 days at least. but my next visit to KKH is next friday.

Hi Mimi. My 1st fet attempt I took progynova orally but lining won't build up even thou already 3 weeks. Second attempt natural oso lining too thin so dr Roland change my third to took progynova vaginally 3 times a day and w estrogel oso applied 3 times a day. First I oso afraid cos tiny pill can or not go in but actually easy leh. And it worked my lining finally thick enough to proceed.
I hate progynova orally, i have a horrible horrible side effects, I told doc I cannot tahan if have to take it again. But insert from vagina I only got minimal side effect.

Hi yeah me too. I took that pills and headache almost everyday. And feel like vomiting. May I know which thickness of lining is too thin? 5-6? What is ur last lining thickness ? U get bfp right? Happy for you. Mine cancelled cos they said I ovulated. So they ask me to do natural for coming month. Looks like progynova viginally is good option.

thank mimi_june for info. what is the frequency of scanning needed at KKH. previously when i did so-iui at thomson, scans are scheduleded quite frequently. like every 3 days at least. but my next visit to KKH is next friday.

Yes kkh also quite frequent. 2-3days then they ask u go bk for Scan. Starting of process still ok. Only near ovulation more frequent. Why u not continue ur ivf at Thomson? Any issue?

likewise, i switched from TFC to KKH since my only option was IVF.

Just curious, what's 2ww?

For those who are working full time, what is the time away from work required before and after ET/ER. Do you all just apply MC? or tell your boss that you are going for IVF?

your embryo quality must be good :)
suggest u wait till ET to really decide based on thh recommendation. then the survival rate from defrosting can also be considered.
my past fets are like towkayneo, put 2 blasts. but I felt its cause from 8 frosties only 3 survived to transfer.[/QUOTE/]
Good idea. The thaw rate will help to determine. Thanks MichNg!

I don't know if my embryo quality good. At first I thot so since it implanted but then I miscarried, so I really doubt so.

likewise, i switched from TFC to KKH since my only option was IVF.

Just curious, what's 2ww?

For those who are working full time, what is the time away from work required before and after ET/ER. Do you all just apply MC? or tell your boss that you are going for IVF?

2ww is 2 weeks waiting?
For me, i told my boss frankly i m doing ivf n she is very understanding towards me. I just let her know in advance that i went for kk appointments n i just go n return back to office once is done
If u need mc, kk will aso give u...

Back