NUH - Subsidized or Non-subsidized patient

Namnori

I've just tested positive, will be a first time mummy and would like to know if any mummies or mummy-to-be is with NUH? Any recommendation for gynae? TIA for your inputs. =)

Hi all! Im currently 14 weeks pregnant and it's my second pregnancy.
Currently seeing as a private patient at Nuh and I was appalled by the bill size. Firstly I didn't know that once I have selected a doctor, I would be charged as a private patient. Secondly, I wasn't expecting the bill size to somewhat the same as how I was charged previously at a private hospital. And thirdly, the package only starts at 22 weeks, with only 2 ultrasound scans on the 22 week & 32 weeks. Like what??......So im paying that $770 for that package only for my consultations with the gynae with 2 scans?
And lastly, I have already met my gynae twice and here's the breakdown of my bill.

First Visit

Consultation : $$109.14
Antenatal Screen II (blood test) : $160.52
Obstetric Scan (ultrasound scan) : $$123.05
Total $392.71

Second Visit

(Was called to bring forward my appointment as my gynae needs to see me earlier as I my blood test results showed signs of me having thalassemia. During my visit, I was advised to do a further and more precise blood test to confirm if I have thalassemia and I was told that it would cost ard $300 and that test will only need to be done once and can be used for my other upcoming pregnancies. Was just too shocked that I couldn't think straight that I had already done the test before during my 1st pregnancy. What upset me was, I already told the current gynae during my first visit that previous gynae had done a test on me and confirmed that I had iron deficiency but personally I find that my current gynae should have asked me first if I had done the test before since this is my second pregnancy. =( Sadly, I only realised that I have already done the test while I was on my way home and even called up my doctor and the report was immediately emailed to me. Gahhhh so upset!!)

Consultation: $87.74
Thalassaemia Genotyping Test: $267.50
Total $355.24

For my first pregnancy I was with Dr Lee KW at Gleneagles. His package starts at 16 weeks pregnancy@$900, ultrasound scan for EVERY CHECK-UPS including 36-40 weeks weekly checkup!

The only reason why I decided to switch to NUH was because my friend recommended this gynae to me and I'm also afraid if my second pregnancy labour turns out like my first.

So right now I seriously cannot decide whether to stick to my current gynae or just go back to Dr Lee. Just a brief summary of my experience with him, he is a very caring and friendly doctor, not all so serious because he likes to make jokes and all and he really gives good advice and I adore his assistant too. But what put me off back then (which I finally realised how stupid I was for feeling that way) was that when I was close to my 3rd trimester, he already mentioned that my baby would be too big for me to go through a normal delivery. I thought he was just like many other doctors who only wants to earn more. To cut the story short, I was stubborn as hell and insisted for normal delivery despite all his advice and valid reasonings. And true enough, my baby came out too big (3.82kg) and I am very petite, bigger than expected and had to go through an emergency csect instead. And because of that, my hospital bill came up to more than 10k. I paid a hefty price for being stubborn. Lol!

Hi all! Im currently 14 weeks pregnant and it's my second pregnancy.
Currently seeing as a private patient at Nuh and I was appalled by the bill size. Firstly I didn't know that once I have selected a doctor, I would be charged as a private patient. Secondly, I wasn't expecting the bill size to somewhat the same as how I was charged previously at a private hospital. And thirdly, the package only starts at 22 weeks, with only 2 ultrasound scans on the 22 week & 32 weeks. Like what??......So im paying that $770 for that package only for my consultations with the gynae with 2 scans?
And lastly, I have already met my gynae twice and here's the breakdown of my bill.

First Visit

Consultation : $$109.14
Antenatal Screen II (blood test) : $160.52
Obstetric Scan (ultrasound scan) : $$123.05
Total $392.71

Second Visit

(Was called to bring forward my appointment as my gynae needs to see me earlier as I my blood test results showed signs of me having thalassemia. During my visit, I was advised to do a further and more precise blood test to confirm if I have thalassemia and I was told that it would cost ard $300 and that test will only need to be done once and can be used for my other upcoming pregnancies. Was just too shocked that I couldn't think straight that I had already done the test before during my 1st pregnancy. What upset me was, I already told the current gynae during my first visit that previous gynae had done a test on me and confirmed that I had iron deficiency but personally I find that my current gynae should have asked me first if I had done the test before since this is my second pregnancy. =( Sadly, I only realised that I have already done the test while I was on my way home and even called up my doctor and the report was immediately emailed to me. Gahhhh so upset!!)

Consultation: $87.74
Thalassaemia Genotyping Test: $267.50
Total $355.24

For my first pregnancy I was with Dr Lee KW at Gleneagles. His package starts at 16 weeks pregnancy@$900, ultrasound scan for EVERY CHECK-UPS including 36-40 weeks weekly checkup!

The only reason why I decided to switch to NUH was because my friend recommended this gynae to me and I'm also afraid if my second pregnancy labour turns out like my first.

So right now I seriously cannot decide whether to stick to my current gynae or just go back to Dr Lee. Just a brief summary of my experience with him, he is a very caring and friendly doctor, not all so serious because he likes to make jokes and all and he really gives good advice and I adore his assistant too. But what put me off back then (which I finally realised how stupid I was for feeling that way) was that when I was close to my 3rd trimester, he already mentioned that my baby would be too big for me to go through a normal delivery. I thought he was just like many other doctors who only wants to earn more. To cut the story short, I was stubborn as hell and insisted for normal delivery despite all his advice and valid reasonings. And true enough, my baby came out too big (3.82kg) and I am very petite, bigger than expected and had to go through an emergency csect instead. And because of that, my hospital bill came up to more than 10k. I paid a hefty price for being stubborn. Lol!

hi, may i know which gynae you took at NUH private? i'm thinking of switching over from subsidised and tried calling for appointment. but the staff who handled my call was not helpful at all. is it true the price you pay for consult varies from consultant and senior consultant? and was your overall bill deductible by medisave?

hi, may i know which gynae you took at NUH private? i'm thinking of switching over from subsidised and tried calling for appointment. but the staff who handled my call was not helpful at all. is it true the price you pay for consult varies from consultant and senior consultant? and was your overall bill deductible by medisave?

Hi there! Im with Dr Anita Gale and yes it's true that there's a difference in the fees between a junior and senior consultant. Dr Anita is a junior consultant.
Sadly, I can't make any medisave claims from my previous bills and upcoming 2 more appts.
However I can only claim my package fee (22 weeks onwards)and delivery package fee up to 4.4k max.
Hope this helps!

Hi there! Im with Dr Anita Gale and yes it's true that there's a difference in the fees between a junior and senior consultant. Dr Anita is a junior consultant.
Sadly, I can't make any medisave claims from my previous bills and upcoming 2 more appts.
However I can only claim my package fee (22 weeks onwards)and delivery package fee up to 4.4k max.
Hope this helps!

hi, thank you for the reply! i'm at 13 weeks now and i'm going for consult and fetal date scan next week. planning to get dr citra but when i called they claim she's fully booked till end of april next year. seems like i have to check around for other reviews.

Hi

Can I check if delivering as a subsidized patient in nuh, how experienced are the gynaes tending to you during delivery? Are they consultants or senior consultants?

Hi

Can I check if delivering as a subsidized patient in nuh, how experienced are the gynaes tending to you during delivery? Are they consultants or senior consultants?

For my #1, I don't even know who attended to me! HAHA! But I still give birth. Too pain or tired to even think so much. But whoever has attended to me, all are very nice! From inserting of pill to induce, breaking waterbag, helping me to deliver.... all are good. =)

Back