Advice Needed-Mount Alvernia or Thomson Medical Centre

I delivered my baby at Mt A in early July and stayed in a 2-bedded. It was my second delivery. First baby was also delivered there 3 yrs ago. Nurses in the labour ward and in the maternity ward were fantastic. Food was great and I would recommend Mt A to mummies who are undecided
happy.gif

MumWannabe - you can call up Mt A or check the prices of the wards here
http://www.mtalvernia-hospital.org/roomtypes.asp
My 2 bedded room cost $230 per day.

Cost of delivery also depends on your gynae coz different gynaes have different prices.

Medisave deduction will automatically be done by the payment office at Mt A (sorry can't remember the actual name) the nurses will tell you everything when you are there.

I am also reading up TMC or MT A.
I think its really 'heng' or 'suay' thing.
If you lucky, u get attended by a caring nurse. Feels like everywhere will have a couple of nasty ones.

What different experiences! I think most hospitals can't cope during peak periods and hope that they look into it properly. I'm worried for the peak dragon yr.

I delievered at tmc in may2010. My experience was ok, one-bedded, caring nurses and nice food.
Meds were delivered on time. frequent feeding and bringing in my baby for cuddles.

My only question is that is it necessary to have suppository before delivery? I cant control my diaherra while pushing and ended up with a GA c-sect, as i was too tired to try and my bb was big too.

After delivery, painkillers were administered through a drip and twice daily suppository, sometimes at 3am.

Delivered in tic in may 2011.overall experience would have been great if not for the following hiccups.

1) dd was given 2 jabs of bcg on her left buttocks,resulting in 2 scars.no mention of it until I realized the scar about 2 weeks later.check with them,excuses were given.after which,the matron said that only 1 jab was given.the reason y there were 2 scars was bcuz my baby moved while the professional nurse was giving the jab.hence, part of it went in.in order to give the full dosage,the nurse had to give again.n my poor baby was jab twice!!

2) actually requested to feed baby BM from 10am to 4pm,a total of 6hrs b4 they wheeled baby to me! In between 10am to 4pm, I asked for baby for at least 2 times.once at 12nn,but nurses said baby was asleep,can afford to wait till she wakes up.so at 2pm,I asked again.nurses said it was vaccination time.will wheel out after her jab.finally at 4pm,my dd is still not out yet!I realized I couldn't wait any longer.After 6 hrs w/o milk was so worried my baby will go hungry so I asked hb to go n wheel baby out.I saw on their chart that my girl was fed at 2pm.when I asked the nurse,she merely cancelled away the record since I mentioned no feeding was done.what was atrocious was there was a signature against the feeding time stating right breast n left breast.n the nurse just striked off when I asked n told me that baby can go without food for quite long as they have their reserves! My baby was only 2.48kg then!

Where was the professionalism nurses r supposed to have?

Me too, I can't decide as well whether Mt A or Thomson better. My doc is in TMC. Given 2 choices. Was thinking which single bedded is better. Any advice?

I personally prefer Mount Alvenia than Thomson. I tried both hospital before. Mount Alvenia I stayed there for a month due to pregnancy complications. The nurses were very caring and service was good. After my delivery, the nurses were very helping with assisting you on breast feeding. And the food was nice. I still missed the food. For my current pregnancy, I going back to Mount Alvenia again. :)

Anyone with dr Claudine tan and recently delivered at tmc or mount a? Any difference in her delivery charges and discounts given for hospital stay? I want to know the total bill comparison. Thanks!

I'm a 1st time mtb, considering Mt A for my delivery in Dec. Being a Mt A baby myself, I'm inclined to head back to Mt A to deliver... My gynae is persuading me to deliver at TMC/ Mt E instead of Mt A. After reading mixed reviews/ complaints on Mt A, i'm confused. Reviews such as understaffed, fierce impatient staff, being told by Mt A that 1) LC won't be available on Sundays (my EDD is on a Sun!), 2) I will be charged by the hour if my labour exceed 7hrs or 3) i will be charged per session if i need additional help on lactation during my stay after the 1st complimentary session :eek: all the *ker-chings* i hear is making Mt A sound cold & clinical

I'm apprehensive about being w/o support from experienced & patient staff especially when I'm trying for natural birth w/o epi. i'm open to epi, it's just that it would be a bonus to do w/o and this may be possible only with proper guidance from experienced midwives/ nurses. My gynae isn't based in Mt A, so before she makes her entrance, i will be at the "mercy" of Mt A staff...

@mama_joanne @Zoeyzzz @cloudee can you share with me if i would be in good hands given my concerns and "help requirements"?

Is with Dr Claudine Tan & Gave birth in Mt A in Aug. When I arrived in labour ward, there was no single bed available. After my many hours of delivery, there was 1 single deluxe rm available. So whether you get a single rm or not depends purely on luck. The single deluxe rm is gd. Go for it if given a choice. It's clean & spacious. The room svs is very gd. Got people come change drinking water for u everyday. Dun even need to boil ur own water. They change hot & rm temp water for u. Everyday got people wash ur toilet. And the housekeeping auntie come a few times a day just to throw ur rubbish. There was even a day where someone came to ask is the curtain alright. There is nothing wrong with the rm at all and yet they bother to keep checking.
Lactation consultant depends on ur preference. I meet 3different lactation consultant from MtA. One of them was fabulous but she is stationed in their parentcraft centre & maybe will not do room visit. I did not ask anyway coz I met her after I'm discharged. Another One who visited me in my rm was so rough on me. She squeeze my breast real hard to try to squeeze milk out from me & keep encouraging breast feeding which kinda irritate me coz I have no milk yet right after delivery. The 3rd lactation consultant is normal i.e not rough or whatever. Somehow, the lactation consultants like to squeeze and massage ur breast. They come to visit u everyday except Sun. For deliveries on Sun, are u sure you haf the mood to meet lactation consultant? Isn't resting more impt than letting lactation consultant squeeze ur breast after delivery? Newborn dun need to eat right after they are born anyway. For my case, U dun haf to request for lactation consultant to come, they will drop by everyday throughout my stay there.
Nurses are fabulous. They are v gd to ur newborn. My newborn stayed in the nursery longer due to complications & it's really gd to know that the nurses are really gd to ur newborn. They took care of my newborn even better than me so it's really reassuring that my newborn is in safe hands.
Nurses who took care of me in delivery ward are very experience. They know wat to do exactly. U won't haf problems with delivery under their charge. Nurses in post delivery ward wants to do everything for u which I personally dun think is required coz after all I'm still alive albeit a bit weak from delivery.

Last edited:
Hi i am 5 weeks pregnant mummy. I am confused who shall i consult doctor. Any one advice in mount elizabeth which doctor is good? I want to know doctor charges as well
Thank you

Hi Shirlen, do you mind sharing with me your final bill and details for mount A? I am with Dr Claudine too and due 01 Jan. Will be good to have a rough gauge of the bill size to determine the hospital and ward to choose, still torn between tmc and mount a, single or two bedder. Thank you!

Hi Shirlen, do you mind sharing with me your final bill and details for mount A? I am with Dr Claudine too and due 01 Jan. Will be good to have a rough gauge of the bill size to determine the hospital and ward to choose, still torn between tmc and mount a, single or two bedder. Thank you!

I still haven received my bill. I chose express chk out in Mt A so they got a deposit of $3200 from me when I chk in (thru credit card) & it's 2-3wks alrdy and they have not send me the bill yet. By the way, Dr Tan mentioned she will charge max about 10% more for delivery in non-TMC hospital. Mine was single deluxe. Will update the bill when I receive it.

I still haven received my bill. I chose express chk out in Mt A so they got a deposit of $3200 from me when I chk in (thru credit card) & it's 2-3wks alrdy and they have not send me the bill yet. By the way, Dr Tan mentioned she will charge max about 10% more for delivery in non-TMC hospital. Mine was single deluxe. Will update the bill when I receive it.
Thank you in advance Shirlen!

ImageUploadedByForum1410874675.717550.jpg
ImageUploadedByForum1410874692.407803.jpg

My hospital bill as reference with Dr Tan as gynae. Anyway, I heard she maybe increasing her fee slightly. Things simply got more expensive.....I'm her Aug patient. U gotta check from her how much she increase price for ur delivery month.

Hi i want to check with all. Now i am seeing mr don wong chun ping at admiralty. His package started 12 wks and only 660 only. I am wondering is he good gynae or any feedback? Pls advice me before i sign the package.

I love mount a cos the nurses are friendly and they don't mind that i keep asking for help in latching on my baby every single time. Now second pregnancy wanted to change my gynae but the gynae wants me to be warded at tmc so i having second thoughts on choosing him.

Hi all

Did anyone been for the down sydrome check before. Just went to my gynae and got to knew there are this kind of thing.
Hi i went for a detailed scanning during my 5th month pregnacy ...
They will let you know the probability of the child with down sydrome or not.
If they suspect there is they will ask you for further checks

Just gave birth at Mount A .... Their services is pretty good ....
The nurses there are kind and patience ...

I gve birth to my 1st one in MT A, it is the cheapest private hospital. The staffs are nice and its a catholic hospital. Im not a catholic but i dun mind to go there. They hv shuttle service . U can register birth cert there too! Overall i like their service.
As im hving my 2nd one now, i plan to go bak there to deliver too.

Hi i want to check with all. Now i am seeing mr don wong chun ping at admiralty. His package started 12 wks and only 660 only. I am wondering is he good gynae or any feedback? Pls advice me before i sign the package.
The package is cheap!

Back