Zika guideslines for moms and moms-to-be

CharlesDD

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share an article i just researched and wrote on the Zika virus outbreak in Singapore for everyone to read: https://diaperdelivery.com.sg/blogs/news/managing-zika

Key points you want to take note are:
1) Moms-to-be need to be VERY careful when going out - regular repellent use is best
2) If you've already given birth there are no real issues, just continue your regular anti-mozzie precautions
3) There is no vaccine or cure in the short term, so please don't chase your GP's!

im also worried about this Zika Virus. previously when happen overseas it seems so irrelevant to us. now that it is in our country

But I'm curious, if the repellent is in any way "toxic" to us? Say if breathe in too much or what...

Cuz my dd uses Tiger Balm repellent patch. & it has a strong lemongrass smell... So I dunno if we can "smell" in so much of lemongrass? Safe for foetus?

Natural repellents like Tiger Balm (Citronella / Lemongrass) aren't effective at all.

The best repellents (tested and proven) are ones containing DEET and Picaridin.

Just get one that is below 20% concentration and it should be safe!. (If you are worried, dont spray directly on skin)

Zika is way more dangerous and harmful to your child than insect repellents.

Yes doctors recommend to use insect repellants that contains DEET (at least 15%). My cousin who's pregnant bought this mosquito-free bed sleeping net to sleep in at night... Putting the link here in case anyone is interested http://www.hemsco.com/mosquito-net It's scary actually if you are living in the affected area.

Any pregnant ladies here got bitten by mosquitoes before the recent zika outbreak?

I heard some may not have any symptoms at all could still get zika virus?

What sort of checking or testing are being done by the gynae? Anyone going through such checkups already? Can share some experiences?

Quite distressed yesterday to read in the news about a pregnant lady buying two ultrasound pest repellers as an anti-Zika measure.

The ultrasound repellers *do not work*. Just google it!

I've lived in various asian cities and tried different mozzie traps.
And the only type which actually traps and kills mozzies is:

BLUE LAMP +
CO2 CATALYST +
FAN

The blue lamp and CO2 draw them close, the fan does the final work of drawing them into the trap and keeping them there. I bought one of these in SG and it was the first time I'd ever seen a trap catch any. As in, finding dead, dried out mozzies in the trap.

Must have all 3 elements (lamp+CO2+fan). If one element is missing, that's no good.
And to reiterate, the ultrasound repellers are a fairy tale.

yeah i bought tons of mosquite repellent coz damn scared of getting bitten by mosquitos although its my 2nd trimester liao lah.
in the end, i think i bought non-DEET mosquito repellents
i bought these at the shop here - mosquite repellents

also can visit here to buy medicated oils of singapore coz bitten liao sure use medicated oils.
LOL
i smell like tiger balm everyday

Back