September 2016 Mummies!

Hello ladies :) good to hear from everyone again!
We are certainly getting close, aren't we...I have been feeling anxious sometimes, excited other times :confused: I am doing my Strep B test next week, quite nervous as it's first time the OBS will see down there.
I have also been having light sleep every night these days, keep waking up at least 2-3 times.

p3rinwkle, wow your c-sect date is getting close, good that you will be able to see your baby girl in less than a month :)

Yup, the date is getting nearer...But I try not to think about it because it will make me overthink a lot about the "what-ifs".
Just trying to keep calm and go with the flow~~~ :p

Yup, I've packed...But not sure if I've covered everything lolx.
I was thinking since it's quite convenient to get things in Singapore, at most send my hubby out to get the stuffs if I missed out packing them:D

But I have not set up the baby playpen yet though...it's still in the package box.
The stroller is also still in the box.
Breast pump and bottles not wash and sterilize yet.
Baby clothes are partially washed since some of them are hand-me-downs...but I lost track which are washed :p
In summary....I'm still not prepared for baby's arrival!

wow, at least you packed already... I only made lists of things to take, but haven't started packing.
I need to pack 2 bags - one for hospital stay and another for postnatal stay at my in-laws place, where I'll stay about 1 week. Not sure if I need to take the breast pump there.... reluctant to bring so much stuff.

As for the playpan - I don't even have any. :) and no cot either. We decided to buy it later, after birth. But I got cocoonababy, hope to use it for first few month. And we still haven't got any infant car seat, and haven't started washing baby clothes...
fuf, so many things to do...

Are you going to keep a extra standby bag at work? Some co-workers asked me about it...
I decided not to, coz I live not far from office, so in case of emergency will go home first, grab a bag and them move to hospital. But I will keep a few pantyliners and underpads in the office, just in case water brake unexpectedly. hehe...

I am halfway through packing my hospital bag, feels like so many things to bring. My hubby keeps reminding me that he can always come back to take stuff if I missed out on anything, but don't know why I am still packing like as if we are going overseas holiday :p

I am halfway through washing baby clothes, mostly done actually. Baby's nursery also quite organised already, left with setting up the cot and car seat. Playpen already set up. Haven't sterilised breast pump and bottles yet. Yeah still feel like a lot of things to do, I think we can never feel all ready, as long as good enough is enough.

My MIL was telling me that we still have time to prepare and wash the stuffs since I will be hospitalised for 3 nights at least after my csect...so she's pretty relax about it.

Lititia, I did not prepare a spare hospital bag. I stay close to Mt. A. So in case I started going into labour while at work, my colleague will drive me to hospital. Probably will send my hubby home to get the hospital bag or ask my in-laws to bring to the hospital later :p.

Elm, wow, seems like you're 90 (or more)% ready. Nothing to worry about. :)

P3riwinkl3, wow, so lucky stay very near. I stay quite far... Bedok, while travelling to NUH. I'm only concerned about the admission documents - I need to have them on hands to be admitted, right? And normally I keep them at home. Or, I guess in case of emergency they will still admit me, coz they should have my records.

Sadly I had a fever and bad cough since Friday and today finally got an MC, so I decided to use this chance to finally start washing and packing.

Are you gonna wash all available baby cloth? I was so excited, that I bough clothes up to 12 month old!! :) Not sure if I need to wash it all now. I think I'll wash only first 3 month stock. :D The rest can wait.

My nursery is not even started yet! No cot, no mattress, nothing. Only got changing pad. heheh. But I'm not worried about it, coz first few month baby sure co-sleep and he won't care about the room, so I will have time to sort it out. Also I do not expect to use breast pump for first few month, so it also can wait... worst case, sterilizing the breast pump should not take longer than an hour. :)

Hi Lititia, I like your attitude to take things easy. I think it's a good mentality to have so as not to over-stress oneself :) Take care of yourself since you are sick, don't overwork. I just recovered from the flu last week, no fun being sick at this stage.

Actually I still have quite a lot to prepare for myself - e.g. I haven't bought any nursing bras yet :oops: and also those food items for confinement period.

About washing baby clothes, I also bought clothes up to 12 months old :D I washed them all, otherwise might forget in future which ones have and haven't been washed.

haha, so I'm not alone who was excited about baby clothes. :)

I got a Superwoman bodyshaper bra from mothercare. It seems to be quite comfortable as of now. The good thing that its size is flexible, so no need to worry how big breasts gonna grow after milk comes. On promotion price it was 19.90, if I remember correct.

And by the way, have you got a stroller already?
Or how do you plan to bring baby out during first few month? for example, if got jaundice or any other doctor appointment?

I got a very basic stroller from my friends, but I don't think it's suitable for carrying a newborn. So I was thinking to use a ring sling first. Hopefully by that time I make up my mind about what stroller to buy. There are so many of them, that I'm very confused how to choose...

I think I've lost track of my bra size now...lolx.
Since early pregnancy days, I have been wearing nursing bras I bought online, which comes in S, M, L sizes.
Each size covers a range of band and cup sizes so it expandable according to your body changes. My rib pain started quite early during the pregnancy, hence I decided to switch to the nursing bras. I just got promoted from M size to L size :oops:.

I've prepared both stroller and baby wrap (Pittari Wrap, which looks easy to manage :p). I intend to use the wrap when baby is still too small for the stroller. Easier to bring the baby around in the wrap too than to lug along a stroller I think.
As for baby clothes...My SIL and MIL have prepared up to 9mths I think. We only washed those meant for newborn at the moment.
Not sure whether baby can wear all the clothes before she outgrows them...very wasted if she outgrows the clothes too fast and the clothes are left new and untouched.

For stroller, I suggest you buy lightweight ones. Sturdy ones are good but quite heavy...you may not want to use it in the long run.
I bought Graco Citilite stroller (4.7kg)....seems pretty popular at the baby fairs and I see a lot of parents using it outside.

I didn't decide on cord blood banking coz it looks quite expensive. Is it really worth it to invest in that?

My colleagues, on the other hand, were highly recommending that I do placenta encapsulation...which I find it disgusting. I wouldn't dare to eat my own body parts -.-"

i find it (placenta encapsulation) really gross too. it feels like i am eating myself :p

IMO, cord blood banking is worth investing, to me, it is like a biological insurance and assurance that my baby and family are protected. I have friends who have cancer/ blood disorder (whether they have family history or not), to see them go through not only emotional pain but also physical pain break my heart. and to get a perfect match is one thing, to prevent transplant to be rejected is another worry. I take comfort in cord blood because it doesnt have to be 100% matching, as long as it fulfills about 60% match, the transplant will be a success and minimal rate of getting it rejected.

i bank it with cordlife, if you are wondering.

Hi all mummies, I am wondering if you had recently gone for an ultrasound scan and check baby's weight? Last week at 36 weeks, my baby weighs 2.3kg and I was told that she was a bit on the small side. Any mummies went for a scan recently?

@Elm

Hi mummy

Im also currently at 36 weeks and recently went for a scan last wk.. My baby was also ard 2.3kg and doc did say she was on the small side.. I had the growth scan when i was 32 weeks and doc initially said baby's tummy was small and baby then was ard 1.7kg, thats why they sent me for a scan again after 3 weeks to see if bb is growing well.

Pls do not worry. Doc will let u know shld they have any concerns.. I was initially worried bt doc has advised me not to worry so much. The estimated weight is not accurate. From what i know , baby can weigh more than the expected weight so try to enjoy the remaining time we have of this pregnancy ya?☺️☺️

Hi chillea_analu, thanks for your reply :) My doctor suggests to induce birth at around 38 weeks. Hence, I wanted to see how other mummies and their babies are weighing.

Hm, my doctor (and recently I have seen two of them) said that there is no scan till week 40. If I don't deliver by then, they will scan to check the baby size and amniotic fluid level. Other than that doctor only touched my stomach and somehow identified that the size if "just nice". Not sure how much in kilos... My last scan was week 29, that time baby was 1.5 kg.

I was a bit surprised that there is no scan till delivery, but if the doctor (even two) said so, it should be ok then....

@Elm, I just had my check-up on Monday (29-Sept). Was w36+3. My baby's weight was 2.366kg. I was hoping for ~2.5kg:(
I also think it's a bit light but my gynae said baby is fine.

Hi! I have 1 set of pregnancy books to sell at $20 (only selling all 4 books as a set):
1. Guide to Child Birth written by Wong Boh Boi
2. Guide to Breastfeeding written by Wong Boh Boi
3. Guide to Child Care written by Wong Boh Boi
4. Nourishment from within (Confinement Food Recipes)

Very recommended to read especially for first time mother in preparing and give some knowledge start from giving birth, breastfeeding and how to handle our baby.

Please PM if interested.
Collection at Orchard area.

upload_2016-8-31_17-9-19.png

Thanks Lititia & P3riwinkl3 :) mmm seems like our babies' weights are quite similar. But my OBS seems to be concerned about it and is wanting me to induce in the next 2 weeks. She said it could be due to placenta not supplying enough nutrients for baby to put on weight. Not sure if I should go down the induction route :confused:

Maybe considering current zika situation inducing is not a bad idea. At least you will have a piece of mind. Maybe your baby will gain some more weight during next two weeks. Plus, the weight given during ultrasound is not really accurate, it's just an estimation.

Maybe considering current zika situation inducing is not a bad idea. At least you will have a piece of mind. Maybe your baby will gain some more weight during next two weeks. Plus, the weight given during ultrasound is not really accurate, it's just an estimation.

The thing is my doctor doesn't plan on doing anymore ultrasound scan in the next 2 weeks to check baby's weight gain. She feels that by 37 weeks baby is already full term so there is no real benefit to leave baby in there and risk other things. Therefore, she is asking me to select a date in the next 2 weeks to induce birth :confused:

Personally I would prefer to keep baby baking for as long as he wants, but that's providing if everything is ok and placenta is working fine...
If there are any concerns maybe better to trust the doctor. Just try to choose the latest acceptable date, if you don't want to deliver too early.

The thing is my doctor doesn't plan on doing anymore ultrasound scan in the next 2 weeks to check baby's weight gain. She feels that by 37 weeks baby is already full term so there is no real benefit to leave baby in there and risk other things. Therefore, she is asking me to select a date in the next 2 weeks to induce birth :confused:

Hi @Elm
Who is your gynae who advised that 37w is already full term n ready to be delivered?
My gynae at kkh, Dr tan hh also told me its fine to c sec after 37 weeks but I'm a little worried about too early.
When are you inducing?

@P3riwinkl3
May I ask who is your gynae n did u choose 38w@+5 to c sec?

Did your gynae say after which week is safe to deliver?

Hi @Elm
Who is your gynae who advised that 37w is already full term n ready to be delivered?
My gynae at kkh, Dr tan hh also told me its fine to c sec after 37 weeks but I'm a little worried about too early.
When are you inducing?

@P3riwinkl3
May I ask who is your gynae n did u choose 38w@+5 to c sec?

Did your gynae say after which week is safe to deliver?

SammiAw, my gynae is Dr. Ho HK at Mt. A.
Initially he chose my elective csect date at w38 exactly (9-Sept). But 10-Sept is my bro's wedding and I really hope to attend, so I requested to push back the date a bit. And my gynae's next available date is 14-Sept (w38+5d by then). He did mentioned that for elective csect, they will choose to perform from w38 onwards, but no guarantee cos some mummies will go into labour before w38.

Thanks Lititia & P3riwinkl3 :) mmm seems like our babies' weights are quite similar. But my OBS seems to be concerned about it and is wanting me to induce in the next 2 weeks. She said it could be due to placenta not supplying enough nutrients for baby to put on weight. Not sure if I should go down the induction route :confused:

Elm, I'm also not sure how my gynae gauged if things are ok. Think as long as baby is still gaining weight compared to previous visit it's considered ok? Cos at my last visit (w34), my bb's weight was 2.1kg. 2 weeks later (w36, 29-Aug), she weighed 2.366kg.

Lititia, I pulled in my maternity leave. Initially wanted to start at w38, now I'm starting at w37. Meaning tomorrow is my last working day. Because of zika, many people are asking me to consider going on maternity leave earlier and stay at home. I think bed rest will help to boost baby's weight too...that's what some mummies claimed in the FB group. Let's see if my bb's weight will plump up when I'm resting at home :p

wow, ladies, you have scans quite often, is it? Is it common practice in private hospitals? I'm in NUH under private, but private or subsidised - still not scan till week 40. Anyway, maybe it's better for me, at least no findings to worry about. :)
Total I had 4 scans: 9 week (first visit, just to confirm), 12 week (Down syndrome screening), 20 week and 29 week.

Hm, I never thought of taking maternity leave early. Anyway, even if I do, I'm not gonna stay at home all day long. And I already live in the risk area, so no point. hehe. So planning to work until week 39 or maybe even 40.

Any of you tried to ask gynea for hospitalisation leave of a week or two before delivery? I've heard it's possible, but depends on your luck... Some gynea don't wonna give.

wow, ladies, you have scans quite often, is it? Is it common practice in private hospitals? I'm in NUH under private, but private or subsidised - still not scan till week 40. Anyway, maybe it's better for me, at least no findings to worry about. :)
Total I had 4 scans: 9 week (first visit, just to confirm), 12 week (Down syndrome screening), 20 week and 29 week.

Hm, I never thought of taking maternity leave early. Anyway, even if I do, I'm not gonna stay at home all day long. And I already live in the risk area, so no point. hehe. So planning to work until week 39 or maybe even 40.

Any of you tried to ask gynea for hospitalisation leave of a week or two before delivery? I've heard it's possible, but depends on your luck... Some gynea don't wonna give.

Yup, my doc will scan me at every appointment....considering the $$$ I'm paying him, he better check me carefully..hahaha

I did tried my luck with my gynae regarding hospitalisation leave due to zika...BUT, he refused! :(
His reason(s)... usually HL are issued for mothers with high risk pregnancies like pre-term. Cannot anyhow give HL cos the medical board will check whether the leaves issued by the doctors are valid and for reasonable amount of days....then he quoted me the example of the errant doc who gave too little MC to a foreign worker who fractured his arm and the doc was dealt with by the medical board...blah blah blah...then my gynae said I can start my maternity leave since I'm already w36 -.-

Initially I refused starting my maternity leave so early too, but as the zika situation worsen, many people are asking me to stay indoor...especially my husband...he's super petrified. So I told him I will bring forward my maternity leave lor...if not he will nag and nag.:p

That's a pity....
like this my HL also gonna refuse, coz every time doctor ask me for complains, I don't have any. hahah....
I was hoping to go on hospitalisation leave one week before due date, but if no luck then continue working till 39.5 weeks (Friday), if I'm still fit to walk that time. :D

Jus did my scan at 37weeks exact. Bb is about 2.7kg
Previous scan 35weeks I think 2.3kg
I was reading up, I thought now full term is within 38 to 41 weeks?
37 sounds early.. but ofcoz it depends on wat the doc said..
Oh and 1 more thing what's the head circumference of bb? Mine is abt 30cm
I was expecting around 31-32cm thou
My 1st girl delivered at week38 head circumference was 33cm

That's a pity....
like this my HL also gonna refuse, coz every time doctor ask me for complains, I don't have any. hahah....
I was hoping to go on hospitalisation leave one week before due date, but if no luck then continue working till 39.5 weeks (Friday), if I'm still fit to walk that time. :D

So you are intending to work until your body starts showing signs of labour? Wow, that's quite daring.
W39.5 is really very near to EDD. Quite a few mummies in the FB grp have popped between w36-w39 (both naturally or csect).
You are not scared of water bag bursting suddenly when you are outside? :p

Well, so far I don't have any signs of labour and the baby is still quite high, haven't engaged... I also heard that the first baby, especially boys tend to overdue. But I keep some padding at work, just in case. hehehe. :)
Will check with the doctor later about the dilation. I think if I start to dilate, I will stop working. However, heard cases when even after 1-3cm dilation give birth only a few weeks later.

And I still haven't finish packing my hospital bag! :D so my baby-boy better be on time and not early. :)

Btw, how long maternity leave are you planning to take? I was thinking to take 4 month straight...

I'm taking 4 months straight too.
Originally, if I had stuck to my initial plan of starting my maternity leave on 9-sept, I would have a balance of 6 days of flexi ML left since I intend to start work on 3-Jan-17. Now that I've brought forward my ML by a week, I will have 1 day flexi ML remaining when I start work.
Is your work place near NUH? If it is, it's not a bad idea to spend more time at work then....faster to get to NUH than from your house....lolx. Also make sure you have already planned your route & logistics on how to get to NUH from your office.

So today is your last working day? wow, congratulations!
I'm trying to drag maternity leave because if I start it 26 Sept, then it will be over 26 Jan, which is just a few days before Chinese new year and then I can take a few days leave and stay at home one more week and resume work after Chinese new year. hehe. But of course, it's up to bb-boy to decide when I start my leave... all my planning is just my planning... :D
Unfortunately my company doesn't have flexi ML, they force to take either 3 month + 1 month or 4 month straight, cannot take a few days here and there.

Nope, I don't work anywhere close to NUH. I work and live around Bedok.
Anyway, I don't think my labour gonna be very urgent. Doctor says first timers should expect 6-12 hours labour or longer, so no point to rush. heheh.

Yup...to be more specific....it's the last working day for the YEAR 2016! hahaha...Still thinking what should I do next Monday :p
Maybe sleep until noon then go for my gynae appointment in the afternoon :D

You sound so chill-lax for a first time mum leh...But since you are going for all natural birth, going with the flow is probably the best for you too...as and when baby decides to pop out. Don't need to think too much ;)

Oh please take care okay. Not sure how close you are to the zika affected area in Bedok, but just make sure to protect yourself with mosquito repellent. We are at the last leg of our pregnancy liao, hope everything will progress smoothly.

Enjoy your leave! the last peaceful days... heheh.

yeah, our blk is in the danger zone. But it's ok, I guess the chances of getting zika is similar to dengue. Just stay calm and use repellent. :D

Hi P3riwinkl3 and Lititia, thanks for your replies.
I will be going for my doctor's appointment tomorrow, where I will be scanned again. Then will determine whether to be induced next week. Feeling nervous but just hope for the best :)

Elm, don't worry too much. Since our babies are >2kg, they should be able to cope well, plus we are actually considered "full term". We can always plump them up when they are out :p
I'm going for my check up later in the afternoon. Will update again afterwards.

Elm, don't worry too much. Since our babies are >2kg, they should be able to cope well, plus we are actually considered "full term". We can always plump them up when they are out :p
I'm going for my check up later in the afternoon. Will update again afterwards.
All the best to you P3riwinkl3 :)
Actually I agree with you, I don't have an issue with our baby's weight as I prefer it not to be so big anyway. But my doctor thinks otherwise and finds my baby's weight to be low :(

Hi @Elm

Not sure if u saw my earlier message.
Can u advise below?

When are you inducing?

Elm, my baby's weight is 2.66kg @ W37+3 (today). She gained 300g in a week....Yippee!!!:D
My diet for the last week had been lots of desserts...maybe the higher sugar content helped to elevate baby's weight.
I'm going to eat more durians and desserts for the remaining days until my csect :p

SammiAw, Elm is based in Melbourne if I remember correctly.
The medical practices/judgement between Sg and Melbourne maybe a bit different.

Elm, my baby's weight is 2.66kg @ W37+3 (today). She gained 300g in a week....Yippee!!!:D
My diet for the last week had been lots of desserts...maybe the higher sugar content helped to elevate baby's weight.
I'm going to eat more durians and desserts for the remaining days until my csect :p

That's great P3riwinkl3, always a relief to know our babies are doing well :D
I also went for my check this week and baby now weighs 2.8kg :) My obs is now happy to allow us to wait till due date and not induce.
Can't believe we are in our last weeks of our pregnancy and due anytime now..

Hi @Elm

Not sure if u saw my earlier message.
Can u advise below?

When are you inducing?

Sorry I missed your post SammiAw. I am not based in Singapore :)

That's great P3riwinkl3, always a relief to know our babies are doing well :D
I also went for my check this week and baby now weighs 2.8kg :) My obs is now happy to allow us to wait till due date and not induce.
Can't believe we are in our last weeks of our pregnancy and due anytime now..

Wow...your bb's weight overtook mine! Congrates!
Yup..we are almost at the finishing line....I'm counting down 5-6 days now :p
Surprisingly I'm still feeling quite calm and chill about the impending csect.
Thought I would be totally freaked out / have mental breakdown by now...hahaha

Back