Recent Articles

10 Ways to Prepare for Breastfeeding while Pregnant

iStock_72576991_MEDIUM-1024x630.jpg

So you’ve decided that you want to breastfeed your little one after he or she is born. Congratulations and definitely go for it! Breast milk is scientifically proven to be the complete milk for your baby, meeting the nutritional requirements...

Continue reading...

Splash @ Kidz Amaze (SAFRA Punggol): Singapore’s First Indoor Water Playground

splash-kidz-amaze-main-1024x683.jpg

After seeing how much fun Elliott had at our last water park outing to Splash-N-Surf, I’ve been wanting to bring him out for more water play but the blazing heat has not been kind lately. Hence when Elliott’s godfather, Bryan,...

Continue reading...

30 Father’s Day Gift Ideas (Including Dining Promotions) for Every Type of Dad

fathersday-feature-1024x721.jpg

Father’s Day falls on 19 June this year. With just six more days to go, are you grumbling that shopping for dads is tough? Think again. Fathers can be classified under six common categories: foodie, arty, workaholic, sporty, techie and...

Continue reading...

How I Got my Child to Read Independently by age 3 (plus books you can read with your kids this holiday!)

iStock_85074351_MEDIUM-1024x700.jpg

Before my first child was born, I read all sorts of pregnancy and parenting books and decided to do three things: 1. Have a natural, drug-free hypnobirth; 2. Breastfeed; and 3. Teach my child to read on his own as...

Continue reading...

20 Easy (and Inexpensive) Activities to Do with Your Toddler at Home

toddler-activities-hand-print-e1463245532375-1024x647.jpg

Thinking of some cheap and easy ways to entertain your toddler without leaving the house? Look no further than our easy-to-execute, relatively mess-free activities list. Use your combined imaginations and have fun! 1. Like Magic! Tape the corners of a piece of...

Continue reading...

Winston Tay, The Blogfather, Opens up About Active Fatherhood

winstontay-05-1024x576.jpg

It’s not everyday that we come across a Singaporean father who has been a stay-at-home dad. 38-year-old Winston Tay, who blogs as The Blogfather, did just that a few years ago. And no, he was not forced by his wife (she...

Continue reading...

Toddler Milestones: 12 – 48 months

toddler-milestone-blocks-1024x682.jpg

Your tot’s first birthday has finally come and gone. Now, he or she has officially entered toddlerhood. Looking back, the past twelve months have been a mix of laughter and cries (yes, we do feel your exasperation!). But absolutely nothing...

Continue reading...

Kaitlyn & Alexander’s Animal Safari Themed Birthday Party at SICC

Kaitlyn3rd-Alex1stBD-07-1024x683.jpg

Isn’t it great when two of your children’s birthdays are separated by a matter of days? It makes throwing a party sweeter because it means double the joy! A birthday bash for a pair of siblings also means that mum...

Continue reading...

Forget Parentocracy. Here are 5 (free) things you can do to help your Child Succeed

iStock_19836123_MEDIUM-1024x682.jpg

Seriously, who needs the Olympics when you have parenting? One might say that parenting is a competitive sport, and increasingly so. More and more, parents are investing time and money to give their children a competitive edge — not just...

Continue reading...

Recognising the Signs of Grief: How to Help Your Child Cope

grief-signs-back.jpg

In the first two parts of this series, we discussed how to talk to our children about death and how best to prepare them to accept the reality of loss. In this final instalment, we discuss the signs of grief in children, as well...

Continue reading...

8 Reasons Why You Should Bring Your Kids to the Planet of Possibility

superherome-hangingart-e1467022459192-1024x832.jpg

We’ve all dreamed of being a superhero − gliding through fluffy white clouds one moment and slaying fire-breathing dragons the next − but it takes a special kind of childlike imagination and resilience to bring that dream to life. And...

Continue reading...

Re-thinking the DSA (Direct School Admission) Scheme

iStock_94652061_MEDIUM-1024x682.jpg

The Direct School Admission (DSA) scheme was introduced in 2004 to fulfil two aims. One was to provide Primary 6 pupils with more routes to enter secondary school. The other was to “give better recognition to talents and achievements in domains outside of...

Continue reading...

Ocean Dreams x Sam, Sebbie and Di-Di-Di & Xandy: Return to S.E.A. Aquarium Book Launch

good-morning-1024x680.jpg

As a mum, I must admit that the school holiday is a stressful time! Not only do I get to see my child for one whole day, 24-7, I also have to come up with entertaining and nurturing activities to...

Continue reading...

IVF in Singapore: Is It Getting More Affordable?

ivf-testtube-1024x682.jpg

When you have been having issues trying for a baby, the decision as to whether or not to undergo IVF and other fertility treatments is usually a daunting one. In addition to the physical, mental and emotional stress, the financial...

Continue reading...

How to Have a 48-hour Staycation at D’Resort @ Downtown East that your Kids will Love!

IMG_2473-1024x768.jpg

If you have no plans for an overseas vacation, and limited time, how about doing a 2D1N destination staycation right here in Singapore? The kids and I were invited to do that out at D’Resort @ Downtown East during the June...

Continue reading...

Solutions to 6 Common Breastfeeding Problems: You know you need this!

iStock_65080399_MEDIUM-1024x784.jpg

Breastfeeding might be Nature’s way of nourishing Baby, but boy oh boy can it be challenging at the start. Don’t be discouraged! It takes time and patience to establish breastfeeding because this is a new skill for both you and...

Continue reading...

Full Moon: Celebrating One of Baby’s First Milestones

innocence-grace-2-1428229-1279x840-1024x673.jpg

Have you ever wondered why a person’s ‘Chinese age’ seems to be their real age plus one year? That’s because the Chinese have traditionally regarded the completion of the full 30 days as baby’s first birthday. So by the time...

Continue reading...

Here’s Why You Should Visit BOUNCE, Singapore’s Newest Trampoline Park!

bounce-131-1024x682.jpg

The scorching weather these days might have prompted you to cross out outdoor play on your list of activities to keep the kids occupied. Fair enough. But there’s no reason not to indulge in some good old fashioned play at...

Continue reading...

9 Activity Courses for Baby and Mummy to Bond Over

activity-courses-inspire-pilates-1024x620.jpg

There’s nothing a mummy loves more than spending quality time with her baby, but that doesn’t mean that she can’t get variety. With so many different activity courses available for bubs and mums, you’ll be spoilt for choice for ways...

Continue reading...

New PSLE Scores Don’t Reduce ‘Kiasu’-ism: What Will?

iStock_51547396_MEDIUM-1024x682.jpg

After a teaser on how the T-scores will be removed for wider scoring bands, MOE recently announced a new PSLE scoring system which sort of follows how we count our L1R5, by assigning a specific banded score to your child’s...

Continue reading...

7 Ways to Get your Kids Interested in Science

iStock_54907938_MEDIUM-1024x718.jpg

“Get out of the way!” That’s what popular scientist and TV personality Neil deGrasse Tyson feels is the best way for parents to get their kids interested in science. Get out of the way, and let your kids’ natural curiosity...

Continue reading...

There’s No Escaping Mummy Guilt No Matter What Type of Mum You Are!

iStock_46004378_MEDIUM-1024x682.jpg

“Am I a bad mum?” Whether you a stay at home mum, a full time working mum, a mum who works part time, or a mum who works from home, you probably have mummy guilt. So while you may beat yourself up...

Continue reading...

Sex Education for Kids: An Age-by-Stage Guide

sex-education-bird-bee-1024x667.jpg

One of the trickiest situations as a parent involves teaching your child about the birds and the bees. Sex education is necessary – and especially so in these modern times of sexually-transmitted diseases and other such issues – but most...

Continue reading...

Marine Cove East Coast Park: A Fun-Sized Guide to its New Mega Outdoor Playground

marine-cove-east-coast-park-02-1024x683.jpg

When I was given the chance to review the new outdoor playground at Marine Cove East Coast Park, I jumped at the chance. After all, now that I have a little toddler of my own, it was the perfect opportunity to...

Continue reading...

10 Amazing Themed Dessert Tables for Your Kids’ Birthday Parties!

Colour-It-Sweet-1024x736.jpg

So you’ve just spent a fortune on a gorgeous birthday cake that is sure to impress your little one as well as your guests. But how do you stand out from the crowd and take the wow factor of your kid’s birthday...

Continue reading...

Giveaway: Tickets to The Three Little Pigs by Singapore Repertory Theatre’s The Little Company

George-Chan-Edward-Choy-Oliver-Pang-and-Vanessa-Phang-in-TLCs-The-Three-Little-Pigs-2013-1024x682.jpg

Do you believe that children deserve to be treated to the same quality of theatre as grown-ups? Well, if you do, you’d want to bring your kids to the Singapore Repertory Theatre’s (SRT) The Little Company – critically acclaimed adaptation of The...

Continue reading...

National Day 2016: Where to Makan, Watch Fireworks & Lepak with your Family this Public Holiday!

rsz_fireworks_at_marina_bay-1024x690.jpg

Whether you’re a family that loves to get active, enjoys visiting tourist attractions, needs a relaxing staycation (who doesn’t?), are fireworks fans, ultimate foodies or simply party animals, here are 30 National Day celebratory ideas for you and yours. It’s SG51 and we know that...

Continue reading...

An Open Letter from a Parent of a Child with Autism

iStock_93206579_MEDIUM-1024x738.jpg

It’s every parent’s wish for their child to be healthy and normal, and being told otherwise by a teacher, doctor, or a bystander can be quite a shock. I always thought my son was a pretty normal child except for his...

Continue reading...

Jamie Yeo tells us her Favourite Things about Motherhood!

JamieYeo-feat-1024x835.jpg

Given her youthful looks and svelte figure, it’s hard to believe that Jamie Yeo is a mother of a five-year-old. The 38-year-old (yes, believe it or not!) television and radio presenter has been in the media industry for nearly two...

Continue reading...

Maternity Wear Guide for Mums-To-Be: How to dress for your Pregnancy

iStock_97992363_MEDIUM-1024x684.jpg

First-time pregnancy is really one of the most educational experiences a woman can have. I had initially thought that I could continue to wear my pre-pregnancy clothes (well, the stretchable ones at least) throughout my pregnancy, as long as I did...

Continue reading...

Giveaway: Tickets to ANNIE – The World’s Best-Loved Musical

16-1AnnieTour0168r2-1024x683.jpg

ANNIE, the best-loved family musical of all time, comes to the Grand Theatre at Marina Bay Sands this August. Win a family package of four tickets to watch this uplifting performance! “The sun will come out tomorrow Bet your bottom...

Continue reading...

The Blue Pouch that Ho Ching Took to the White House is Just One of Pathlight School’s Fabulous In-house Designs

ho-ching-dino-pouch-blue-e1470225245905-1024x652.jpg

Images of PM Lee and his wife, Mdm Ho Ching, on an official visit to the White House in the US have gone viral. One of the reasons for this is a little blue pouch. US First Lady Michelle Obama...

Continue reading...

Leia and Lauren’s Enchanted Garden 1st Birthday Party at Sofitel Sentosa

LL-7-1024x683.jpg

Leia and Lauren, also known as the highly adorable pair of Singaporean momo (mono-amniotic) twins who have taken Instagram (@leialauren) by storm, turned one in July! The cherubic sisters had a lovely enchanted garden-themed birthday bash at Sofitel Singapore Sentosa...

Continue reading...

What you Need to Know about Adopting a Child in Singapore

adopt-how-law-660.jpg

Are you considering adopting a child in Singapore? We break down the process for you and tell you what to expect. We also ask adoptive parents to share their experience. Being a parent is a gift, but not everyone is blessed with...

Continue reading...

27 Ultimate Pokémon GO Power Tips to Impress your Kids With

pokemon_go_logo-feature-1024x482.png

Pokémon GO fever has hit Singapore. If you’re playing it with your kids, up your parental cred with these power tips that’ll have them hailing you as their Poké-Guru! Pokémon GO is currently the hottest game in town. It was officially released on...

Continue reading...

Childhood Myopia in Singapore: 9 Common Myths Busted!

girl-vision-check-1024x682.jpg

Ever been told that childhood myopia will stabilise upon hitting adulthood or that LASIK surgery guarantees you perfect vision forever? Facts or just plain myths? We find out. Is your child only in preschool but already sporting a pair of spectacles in...

Continue reading...

7 Top Tips for Situational Writing that will Help your Child Excel in PSLE English

iStock_98061283_MEDIUM-1024x682.jpg

Situational writing is a test of applied or practical writing skills. For example, students may be asked to write an e-mail, letter, or a postcard to a particular person. This counts for 15 marks. Out of these, 6 marks are allocated...

Continue reading...

13 Droolicious Kids’ Menus that your Little Ones will Love at Cafes & Restaurants in Singapore

MEATliquor-feat-1024x682.jpg

We’re loving these awesome kids menus and dining options for little ones in Singapore. Even the fussiest eaters won’t be able to resist! Heading out for a family meal with your picky eaters in tow can be a nightmare at times. Junior may throw...

Continue reading...

19 Fun September Holidays Activities + Kaboodle Kids Passes!

iStock_79812401_MEDIUM-1024x693.jpg

The September holidays may be short, but they are a much-needed and very welcome break from school! Here’s to interesting activities, learning, and lots of fun! Forget Pokemon GO. This September holidays, give the kids the gift of… real life....

Continue reading...

Singapore Night Festival 2016: 28 Highlights for Families and Kids

SNF2016-keyframes2-1024x683.jpg

The Singapore Night Festival is all set to light up the Bras Basah.Bugis (BBB) precinct this August. Here’s a sneak peek at what families and kids can enjoy here over this and the next weekend. By day, walking around Singapore’s...

Continue reading...

10 Life Lessons I Want My Kids to Learn from Joseph Schooling

AP_16226119925553-1024x685.jpg

Joseph Schooling, Singapore’s newly-crowned Olympic hero, is an inspiration. Here’s what your kids can learn from his journey from pool to podium. Joseph Schooling will go down in history as the first Singaporean to win a gold medal at the...

Continue reading...

11 Inspired Teacher’s Day Gifts + Dabber Dot Markers Giveaway!

unnamed-2-1024x786.jpg

For Teacher’s Day, my kids and I like to feed our teachers. Last year, we gave them gem biscuits. The year before, it was fish biscuits. And the year before last, we made them ‘kacang puteh’. This year, we’re giving...

Continue reading...

17 Family-Friendly Staycations to Suit Every Taste

staycations-amara-1024x768.jpg

To get you into the mood for the September school hols, we round up 17 staycations which will have you, and more importantly your kids, believing that you’re not in Kansas – or rather, Singapore – any more. The week-long...

Continue reading...

Dr. Elaine Kim on Motherhood, Work, and Entrepreneurship Balance

ElaineKim-2-1024x683.jpg

She’s a mother of two (with her third due in October), a doctor, an entrepreneur, a designer, a traveller, and a writer. Meet supermum Dr. Elaine Kim. We have caught up with a number of supermums and mompreneurs in the...

Continue reading...

Mid-Autumn at Gardens by The Bay 2016: 7 Activities for Families & Kids

The-Matchmaker-featured-1024x678.jpg

Gardens by The Bay is all set to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival this September with a dazzling display of glowing lanterns. What’s in store for families with kids? This review gives you a sneak peek into the festivities. By now,...

Continue reading...

16 insanely awesome new mummy gifts

new-mummy-gifts-featured-1024x683.jpg

It’s not always easy to think of what to get for a special lady who’s having a baby. To help you along, we asked several mothers what new mummy gifts they most loved or most wanted, especially if money were no...

Continue reading...

7 Unusual Mooncakes to Wow your Family and Friends with this Mid-Autumn Festival

slack-imgs.com_-1024x576.jpeg

Celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival with the most imaginative and creative mooncakes in Singapore this year! The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节) falls on Sunday, 15 September this year and as usual, there’s lots for the family to enjoy! Bring the kids to see...

Continue reading...

Pregnant & worried about Zika? Find out what these mums-to-be are doing to protect their unborn babies

iStock_96222517_MEDIUM-1024x750.jpg

Are you pregnant? Do you worry about Zika in Singapore? You are not alone. Find out what these mums-to-be are doing to protect themselves and their unborn babies from the virus. As of yesterday, there are 242 cases of Zika in...

Continue reading...

15 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Became A Parent

iStock_91785759_MEDIUM-1024x681.jpg

Can you remember the time before you became a parent? Before Baby came into your life and changed it irrevocably, forever? What would you tell the you then, about parenting now? If only I could turn back time… back to...

Continue reading...

PSLE English: 5 Tips to Help Your Child Revise

psle-english-tips-paper-1024x699.jpg

Is your child facing his PSLE this year? Does he struggle with the PSLE English papers? Do the revision questions befuddle even you, his parent? Here are some useful tips. Having taught several cohorts of primary school graduating classes, I have amassed quite...

Continue reading...

Back