All about CERVICAL INCOMPETENCE

kkmum

Dear all,

My bestie had 2 MCs earlier, only upon 2nd MC that she got to know that it's due to Cervical Incompetence.
As per those who had gone through the lost of a child before, you will know how painful it feels. Her 1 preg was in US while the 2nd is in Singapore and cared for by KKH.

To encourage her, am trying to find all the info I can to help.
Many nowadays find it hard to conceive, in some ways for those with cervical incompetence, can conceive yet cannot keep, I feel this is even sadder.

If you've had Cervical Incompetence, would you mind sharing your experience on which Dr you recommend, the things you do before conceiving and/or upon conceiving to keep the child? Or any other tips you may have?

Many many thanks in advance!

Hi, i also was classified as having a high risk of IC due to a Leep procedure done earlier ( this procedure can predispose one to having ic). Once preggers, I went back to same gynae whereupon I was closely monitored. She said that almost half of Leep patients will experience IC during pregnancy. From weeks 12 onwards, monitoring of cervical length was done every 2 wks. In my case, all was normal until wk 13-14 when it shortened drastically from a length of abt 4 cm to 2 plus and then to 1.2ish. By this time there was some funnelling as well so was immediately warded and put on bed rest. Next day had the neck of cervix tied up (cerclage). No pain, just some distant discomfot when Dr tugged the strings (had half body anaesthesia). One day stay in hospital thereafter to ensure bb was ok then on hospitalisation leave for remainder of pregnancy. Antibiotics for like wk or two thereafter. Was urged to refrain from anything strenuous, stairs, walking long distances etc. Def.no swimming of bonkybonks either to prevent infections as risk is higher. However, I still continued with my daily dog walks and did all the running ard to set up nursery and getting all bb stuff ready. Even went back to work a short while but was scolded by gynae and put on no pay. By wk 36, cerclage removed to prepare for Labour. I opted to go without anaesthesia this time as I didnt want to stay a nite nor relished the puking thereafter. It can be done without. Taking out of stitches was fast n painless for me. just the slightest of twinge but only momentarily. 2 mins top. 2wks later I delivered naturally. Labour only lasted Like 3hrs after bag broke cos cervix cldnt wait to open lol. I remb thinking when Dr told me I was at 8cm,huh, thats as painful as it gets?...

Bottom line, close monitoring essential n cerclage needed. Fogot to add, the most painful thing was the weekly jabs in the thigh, some progesterone thingy, its an oily mix, so it'd hurt like a mf, especially the first few times. May end up w bruising n swelling too. This was the worst. But it got better at the end. Must relax when nurse starts the jab else.....

Hi, i also was classified as having a high risk of IC due to a Leep procedure done earlier ( this procedure can predispose one to having ic). Once preggers, I went back to same gynae whereupon I was closely monitored. She said that almost half of Leep patients will experience IC during pregnancy. From weeks 12 onwards, monitoring of cervical length was done every 2 wks. In my case, all was normal until wk 13-14 when it shortened drastically from a length of abt 4 cm to 2 plus and then to 1.2ish. By this time there was some funnelling as well so was immediately warded and put on bed rest. Next day had the neck of cervix tied up (cerclage). No pain, just some distant discomfot when Dr tugged the strings (had half body anaesthesia). One day stay in hospital thereafter to ensure bb was ok then on hospitalisation leave for remainder of pregnancy. Antibiotics for like wk or two thereafter. Was urged to refrain from anything strenuous, stairs, walking long distances etc. Def.no swimming of bonkybonks either to prevent infections as risk is higher. However, I still continued with my daily dog walks and did all the running ard to set up nursery and getting all bb stuff ready. Even went back to work a short while but was scolded by gynae and put on no pay. By wk 36, cerclage removed to prepare for Labour. I opted to go without anaesthesia this time as I didnt want to stay a nite nor relished the puking thereafter. It can be done without. Taking out of stitches was fast n painless for me. just the slightest of twinge but only momentarily. 2 mins top. 2wks later I delivered naturally. Labour only lasted Like 3hrs after bag broke cos cervix cldnt wait to open lol. I remb thinking when Dr told me I was at 8cm,huh, thats as painful as it gets?...

Bottom line, close monitoring essential n cerclage needed. Fogot to add, the most painful thing was the weekly jabs in the thigh, some progesterone thingy, its an oily mix, so it'd hurt like a mf, especially the first few times. May end up w bruising n swelling too. This was the worst. But it got better at the end. Must relax when nurse starts the jab else.....
Thanks for your valuable sharing. Which Dr did you consult?

I had a Leep procedure done before doing IUI. Cervical length started with 3cm & then shortened to 1.9cm. I didn't do a cerclage. Instead my gynae asked his colleague in US for a supportive silicon device to close my cervix. I was on progesterone thru out the pregnancy until at week 34. It was at this time the supportive device dropped out of my body. I was admitted to KK due to preterm labour. Luckily I managed to hold till week 36 & gave birth to a 2.6kg boy. I am deeply grateful to my gynae fr the Leep op to IUI to safe delivery of my bb.

Hi Singhomer,
Thanks for your sharing too. What is this supportive silicon device called?
Also, any idea why your gyane chose the device over cerclage?

Can't remember the exact name. By the time we discovered the cervix has shortened so much, it's too late to a cerclage. Miscarriage is also quite high if there's infection after doing the cerclage. It's my last chance to have a shot at this pregnancy so I just listened to my gynae's advice. He was really nice to ask his colleague to sent over the sample supportive device because it's not available in sg. Im very grateful he went the extra mile to search for alternative to prevent me fr giving prematurely & didn't charge me at all .

Thanks for sharing, which Dr is this?

hi, anyone know how the ic test? is the ic only can be check during preg? can i check it before next preg?

Xiao ma
If 1st pregnancy has cervical incompetence then 2nd one likely to be too. Can only be detected during pregnancy when your cervix start to shorten n dilate due to pressure of bb weight on the cervix. Before pregnancy its not able to detect as cervix shd be closed. Hope this helps. Pm me if you hv other qs. I had this condition

Xiao ma
If 1st pregnancy has cervical incompetence then 2nd one likely to be too. Can only be detected during pregnancy when your cervix start to shorten n dilate due to pressure of bb weight on the cervix. Before pregnancy its not able to detect as cervix shd be closed. Hope this helps. Pm me if you hv other qs. I had this condition
Hi
Even my gyne told that mine is IC and need to go stitch at 12 weeks . Can you share me the cost ? Is it safe to baby ? Can I do normal work ( light household work) after stitching ? I heard complete bed rest is needed , but afraid it will be too complicated if completely bed ridden . Share me your reviews

Hi
I am new to this forum. I have just lost my baby at 20weeks due to cervical incompetency and it was a painful and traumatic experience. Would like to know if anyone here has any gynae to recommend whom specialize in cervical incompetent or high risk pregnancy? I am over 35 and would like to try again and this time get a 2nd opinion. Many thanks!

Hi
I am new to this forum. I have just lost my baby at 20weeks due to cervical incompetency and it was a painful and traumatic experience. Would like to know if anyone here has any gynae to recommend whom specialize in cervical incompetent or high risk pregnancy? I am over 35 and would like to try again and this time get a 2nd opinion. Many thanks!

*hugzz* sorry to hear abt ur loss... I do not know much abt cervical incompetency but becos I had a mc before, I think I can understand ur pain..

Take care, get plenty of rest and u may wan to do a little confinement while lookin for a 2nd opinion.

Had midterm loss when at week22+3 last dec.
According to Kkh gynae I had IC. :(

So this time round will need do a cervical cerlage around week11-12

Then if all is good, to remove the stitches around week 32-33?

If really need complete bed rest guess don't have a choice. Anything to ensure all is good..

*hugzz* sorry to hear abt ur loss... I do not know much abt cervical incompetency but becos I had a mc before, I think I can understand ur pain..

Take care, get plenty of rest and u may wan to do a little confinement while lookin for a 2nd opinion.
Thanks so much kumorin! I did a mini confinement for 2 weeks am trying to get on with life again:)

if diagnose with CI yes do a cerclerge to hold the foetus in your womb at 12 weeks of pregnancy and bed rest is totally necessary! If possible, opt for bed rest in hospital where nurse can help you remove your bodily waste. My doc then was Dr Tan Hak Koon.

Hi
Hi dear, sad to hear abt your loss. Pls stay positive and yes, get a second opinion. I am seeing a gynae who is experienced in high risk pregnancy. He has a private clinic at Mt E novena as well as seeing patients at NUH recurrent pregnancy loss unit. You can google about him. He is Prof Mahesh Choolani.

Tis is my first pregnancy and I'm extremely worried. Can I check with u ladies how do u find out that u have IC? Esp those who were diagnosed during their 1st pregnancy. I asked my gynea about this but she said it is nt necessary to check untill week 20. Will it be too late?

I've been losing mucus and a few time with blood. My gynea jus asked me to rest and didn't check my cervix at all.

Hi dear, sad to hear abt your loss. Pls stay positive and yes, get a second opinion. I am seeing a gynae who is experienced in high risk pregnancy. He has a private clinic at Mt E novena as well as seeing patients at NUH recurrent pregnancy loss unit. You can google about him. He is Prof Mahesh Choolani.
Thanks mangoyoyo! I will definitely consider prof mahesh if I am pregnant again....:)

Tis is my first pregnancy and I'm extremely worried. Can I check with u ladies how do u find out that u have IC? Esp those who were diagnosed during their 1st pregnancy. I asked my gynea about this but she said it is nt necessary to check untill week 20. Will it be too late?

I've been losing mucus and a few time with blood. My gynea jus asked me to rest and didn't check my cervix at all.
According to my previous gynae, there is no way to check for IC as most cases are diagnosed when the miscarriage happens. Maybe you may want to seek a 2nd opinion. Hope all goes well and take care!

Hi mango yoyo, thanks for sharing. I just had my second loss at 14 weeks from suspected incompetent cervix. Had a stitch put in but still lost my baby a week later from infection etc. I have heard about prof choolani but there's v little reviews abt him. How is he like as a high risk gynae? I seriously need to find a high risk gynae if I get pregnant again but it seems like most docs here like to say they are equipped to deal with high risk pregnancies. Also is prof choolani expensive? I don't think he's v popular with "normal" cases right. Thanks so much.

Hi

Hi cystin, did you manage to find a gynae who speciakises in cerclages and incompetent cervix? My current one is v famous n experienced but his stitch failed me just one week after the surgery n I lost my baby recently at 14 weeks. Am desperate to hear from other women if they found high risk gynaes in Singapore. Thk u!

Ladies, i had a leep cone performed in 2012 n was told that it will not affect future pregnancies. However, last year i lost my daughter at 13 weeks and was diagnoised as having an incompetent cervix. I got pregnant again this year and i went to kkh as a pte suite patient thinking that kkh would be more equipped to handle complicated pregnancy. However, kkh could not schedule me with early prenatal tests and until wk 13 my cerclage was still not done. I decided to switch to a pte gynae at mt e novena n she reckoned that a cerclage must be done without further delay.
My cerclage has been holding up well so far, at 26 weeks, im not on bed rest n still working. Eventho i have not reached full term, but i do believe there is still hope for us incompetent cervix ladies..
Do buy insurance, if possible, to cover up till pte hospital. Incase u r not aware, cerclage surgery can be reimbursed fr insurance fully. Mine was done at mt e and fully paid by insurer.

Ladies, i had a leep cone performed in 2012 n was told that it will not affect future pregnancies. However, last year i lost my daughter at 13 weeks and was diagnoised as having an incompetent cervix. I got pregnant again this year and i went to kkh as a pte suite patient thinking that kkh would be more equipped to handle complicated pregnancy. However, kkh could not schedule me with early prenatal tests and until wk 13 my cerclage was still not done. I decided to switch to a pte gynae at mt e novena n she reckoned that a cerclage must be done without further delay.
My cerclage has been holding up well so far, at 26 weeks, im not on bed rest n still working. Eventho i have not reached full term, but i do believe there is still hope for us incompetent cervix ladies..
Do buy insurance, if possible, to cover up till pte hospital. Incase u r not aware, cerclage surgery can be reimbursed fr insurance fully. Mine was done at mt e and fully paid by insurer.

Thank you, karmaplaysitall. There seem to be very few support groups in spore for our condition. Incompetent cervix must be very rare here. I had to get all my info from overseas forums. As a result I wonder if the gynaes here do cerclage often and if they are skilled enough. Thanks for the insurance tip but they tend to relate the surgery to pregnancy and it's not claimable? I spent $7k on it with one night stay and all I got was an infection and a loss again. That frustration and disappointment is terrible. Good luck with your cerclage. Please keep us updated so we know there's hope in this journey.

there is an incompetent cervix awareness group on fb which i joined. most of them resides in the states n their treatment process for ic may differ slightly fr sgp. but thr is alot of sharing, discussion n support among the ladies. there is also alot of success stories posted by ladies with ic. u will tend to c alot of newborn photos posted by mummies daily who beated ic. very encouraging group to join.

on insurance, mine is juz a normal medisave hospitalisation plan which i topped up with rider in cash. it covers me fully for hospitalisation n treatment up till pte hosp A ward. i wasnt expecting to be reimbursed with the cerclage procedure as i too tot is an antenatal procedure n would most probably be excluded. nonetheless i asked mt e to send in the claim on my behalf. surprisingly, 3 weeks later i was reimbursed fully by my insurer for my stay n cerclage procedure. so i can say with confidence, cerclage is claimable thru medisave hospitalisation plan. quantum will depends on whether u bought the rider.

Hi...I'm currently approaching week 12. I'm under kkh dr tan hh. I mentioned to him abt IC & he scheduled me only 5 wks later for measurement of my cervix. Is it too late.?

All my previous mc has nothing to do with IC &this is my 1st pregnancy that I've come so far...just wondering if shld get it done.

Hi...I'm currently approaching week 12. I'm under kkh dr tan hh. I mentioned to him abt IC & he scheduled me only 5 wks later for measurement of my cervix. Is it too late.?

All my previous mc has nothing to do with IC &this is my 1st pregnancy that I've come so far...just wondering if shld get it done.

Hi missyserene, did he measure or check your cervix and deduce that it's short or weak? Cos usually they do cerclage if you hv previous second trimester loss (painless, breaking water bag and baby drops out). Usually a preventive or elective cerclage will be done by 13 weeks. Or maybe your doc wants to see if you really need it? Did you ask him why? From my experiences, I think we as women have to really ask more questions as sometimes docs just do things based on what they hv seen in other cases.

Hihi, is insurance cover for cerclage? When I did mine in 2014, I checked with my agent and he told me not covered as it is under pregnancy. In the end, I need to come up abt $19k plus all the hospitalization bills. That y now I considering govt hospita.. Can I know what kind of insurance u bough??

Hihi, is insurance cover for cerclage? When I did mine in 2014, I checked with my agent and he told me not covered as it is under pregnancy. In the end, I need to come up abt $19k plus all the hospitalization bills. That y now I considering govt hospita.. Can I know what kind of insurance u bough??

It's covered. Anyway, when I asked my agent whether cerclage procedure is covered, he was not certain and sounded like it is not claimable since it was a pregnancy related procedure. Nonetheless after I paid the bill upon discharge, I requested the hospital to submit a claim for me directly to my insurer. 3 weeks later, I was reimbursed fully by my insurer for the entire cerclage procedure. Total bill was $11k.
Mine is just an ordinary medisave hospitalization plan (those medishield plans) which I topped up with a cash rider to cover hospitalization up till private hospital A wards.
Honestly, agents don't really know what is covered or not covered, they are mostly concerned about sales, its the underwriter/ someone else who will determine whether reimbursement should be made when a claim is received. So no harm just sending the bills in and let them decide.

Hi cystin, did you manage to find a gynae who speciakises in cerclages and incompetent cervix? My current one is v famous n experienced but his stitch failed me just one week after the surgery n I lost my baby recently at 14 weeks. Am desperate to hear from other women if they found high risk gynaes in Singapore. Thk u!
Oh girl.. So sorry to hear this.
I didn't know stitch also can fail. Now I scare too. Despite having stitch, it still losses and break itself? Doctor got say anything ?

if diagnose with CI yes do a cerclerge to hold the foetus in your womb at 12 weeks of pregnancy and bed rest is totally necessary! If possible, opt for bed rest in hospital where nurse can help you remove your bodily waste. My doc then was Dr Tan Hak Koon.
U stay there for months till give birth?

Oh girl.. So sorry to hear this.
I didn't know stitch also can fail. Now I scare too. Despite having stitch, it still losses and break itself? Doctor got say anything ?

Hi Sad2016mum, do you need a cerclage stitch? I think it works for most women but I'm just one of the unlucky few? I believe my body didn't take to the stitch well and inflammation took place. Also, I tend to have recurring UTIs and my pre-surgery report showed that I had bacteria in my urine. But instead of giving me antibiotics to cure this before surgery, my gynae went ahead with the stitch. I suspect this might have locked the infection in my uterus. I'm still very very unhappy about this and wished I could turn back time and stop him from doing the surgery before my urine infection was cleared!

I think likely require stitch.
Like ur case if by right should take antibiotics but didn't take, can like sue the doctor?
Hi Sad2016mum, do you need a cerclage stitch? I think it works for most women but I'm just one of the unlucky few? I believe my body didn't take to the stitch well and inflammation took place. Also, I tend to have recurring UTIs and my pre-surgery report showed that I had bacteria in my urine. But instead of giving me antibiotics to cure this before surgery, my gynae went ahead with the stitch. I suspect this might have locked the infection in my uterus. I'm still very very unhappy about this and wished I could turn back time and stop him from doing the surgery before my urine infection was cleared!

I think likely require stitch.
Like ur case if by right should take antibiotics but didn't take, can like sue the doctor?

I don't think I hv the energy or money to sue. My doc gave me antibiotics after surgery, not before. But I think I already had bacteria before cerclage. Did your doc tell you you need a stitch? How many weeks ru?

I belive my next pernancy has to do the stitch and was kind of worry too.

Me had a miscarriage due to my weaken. Very sad. I fully understand mothers who belong to this group.
eb

I belive my next pernancy has to do the stitch and was kind of worry too.

Me had a miscarriage due to my weaken. Very sad. I fully understand mothers who belong to this group.

eb

Sorry to hear about this. What happened in your previous pregnancy and at what week? :(

Hi ladies, I'm sorry that most of us find ourselves here. Here's my story in short..
1st pregnancy- Feb 2015, missed miscarriage and had a D&C done at 11 weeks.
2nd pregnancy- Aug 2015, PPROMed at 16 weeks and delivered a boy. Suspected IC but could not confirm anything as the miscarriage happened in another country while hubby and I was vacationing. No signs of trouble it just suddenly happened and was over in 3 days.
3rd pregnancy- was seeing high risk specialist prof biswas in NUH. Discovered I was having twins (was overjoyed!).. Prof said cant put a stitch in as no proof that it works for twins. Started progesterone injections weekly from 10 weeks plus oral progesterone. Had bleeding on n off from 10 weeks plus. 17 weeks plus had contractions and went to hospital to discover cervix was dilated and one of the water bags was leaking badly.. Too late for emergency cerclage.. Lost both babies at 18 weeks.. Very traumatic experience in Nuh.. Nurses were terrible at handling the delivery!!

Now me and hubby are taking a break from trying to conceive but after a lot of googling I found prof mahesh choolani and I'm seeing him at his Mount E clinic.. It's crazy expensive but in these cases u need the doctor to give u the time to investigate the problem.. Only saw him once so far from complications of my twin loss.. No period still 2.5 months later.. Awaiting results of tests..

If any of u ladies got recommendations or positive stories of success after multiple losses, please share! I need some hope that I'll one day hold a living baby in my arms..

Hi, sorry to hear your cases. Is there such a thing as preventive cerclage? I have lotsa discharge sometimes when i cough or sneeze so i m wondering issit the cervix not that tight so fluids come out fast. Can we kiasu n put cerclage early just to prevent it? I mean better than wait for it to happen?

Also, i thought normal gynae scan can measure cervix length each time. Am i wrong or must arrange special scanning?

Also, i thought normal gynae scan can measure cervix length each time. Am i wrong or must arrange special scanning?

hi only_you, yes but the preventative cerclage must be done within weeks 12 or 14. But it comes with risks so not everyone will need or suit this. Docs here will put it for you only if you have had previous second-trimester losses. I'm not sure about the discharge. You might want to consult your doc and get him or her to measure your cervix with the vaginal ultrasound wand. It's not 100% accurate but if the doc is skilled, it can help to measure the cervix length. But it can't tell if there's early dilation which is another issue. Good luck.

Hi,

I am diagnosed with CIN 3 and is advised to do LEEP surgery which will lead to incompetence cervix... Would like to ask any success stories for incompetence cervix? Or should I not go ahead with the LEEP surgery first?

Hi,

I miscarriaged at 20weeks, not knowing whats wrong with me during my 1st pregnancy. Nw i m pregnant with 2nd bb, so i decided to do a cerclage. And also, as i m alr 40yrs old. I wish to ensure that this pregnancy is smooth n successful. May i know if there is anything i shld avoid after the cerclage? Actually, i m quite worried that i might lost this bb again. Have been very paranoid abt it.

Hi all,

I just did my cerclage, but i have yellowish liquid discharge, is that normal? And also, i have problem taking antibodies n the uterus relaxation pill. I keep feeling nausea and had very bad gastric after taking it.

discharge do check with your doctor.
ask doc to prescribe you something to neutralize the acidic effect. do eat a heavy meal before you take the pills
relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy
Wishing you a smooth pregnancy!

hi all, this is gonna be a long post..

i lost my boy last month at 22w5d.. it’s not been easy everyday as i miss his kicks and can’t forget how small and fragile he felt in my arms as my husband and i said our goodbyes.

everything happened so suddenly as all my scans and tests were fine including oscars and the 20wk scan. went to see my gynae at tmc becos of some discharge and was told it was yeast infection, tho i felt that the discharge was not as thick or whitish like a normal yeast infection, i believed i shld be fine since she has checked me below. also told her tat i have some cramps at the vaginal which she also assured me it’s normal. went back to her one wk later since the discharge were still there and she was abt to send me off after inserting another pill for the yeast when i told her i experienced some cramps again the day before and insisted she checked. and that was the start of my nightmare. i was already 2cm dilated and she could see my water bag. was immediately administered progesterone orally and thru jab and admitted to tmc. was den advised by my gynae to trf to KKH as class C becos if my baby was to make it to 24w, it would need nicu and it’s $2k/day in tmc. so after 2 nites in tmc i trfed to KKH which was a total mistake.

from the moment i arrived NONE of their medical staff gave me hope and the feeling that they were there to help. instead, they kept repeating tat they would only resuscitate the baby if he is 24wks etc.. i was sent to the delivery ward directly and one moment the senior consultant and her whole team of new MOs were there checking ultrasound and even the dilation despite my objection (had been checked too many times which is not advisable), as soon as i started vomiting they cleared the room! did not even bother to call a nurse to help me clean up! i delivered my baby the following morning and they told me they would send my placenta for test.

went back to KKH for review and was told the placenta tested positive for acute chorioamnionitis, which is likely the cause for the MC, however, they also can’t rule out IC becos i was already dilated when i first saw them. was then told tat for the next pregnancy, they would refer me to the high risk team at KKH. my gynae at tmc also said the same thing tat if i were to go back to her, i would be monitored closely and on hosp leave from wk12 onwards..

i’m very lost rite now as i can’t move on without knowing wat caused the MC.. also super worried abt my next pregnancy if i’m really having IC.. any ladies have similar experience to share? would u recommend seeing the high risk team at KKH or do u have other private drs specializing in high risk pregnancies such as IC to recommend? i really need a third opinion and the directions on how to manage the next pregnancy...

hi all, this is gonna be a long post..

i lost my boy last month at 22w5d.. it’s not been easy everyday as i miss his kicks and can’t forget how small and fragile he felt in my arms as my husband and i said our goodbyes.

everything happened so suddenly as all my scans and tests were fine including oscars and the 20wk scan. went to see my gynae at tmc becos of some discharge and was told it was yeast infection, tho i felt that the discharge was not as thick or whitish like a normal yeast infection, i believed i shld be fine since she has checked me below. also told her tat i have some cramps at the vaginal which she also assured me it’s normal. went back to her one wk later since the discharge were still there and she was abt to send me off after inserting another pill for the yeast when i told her i experienced some cramps again the day before and insisted she checked. and that was the start of my nightmare. i was already 2cm dilated and she could see my water bag. was immediately administered progesterone orally and thru jab and admitted to tmc. was den advised by my gynae to trf to KKH as class C becos if my baby was to make it to 24w, it would need nicu and it’s $2k/day in tmc. so after 2 nites in tmc i trfed to KKH which was a total mistake.

from the moment i arrived NONE of their medical staff gave me hope and the feeling that they were there to help. instead, they kept repeating tat they would only resuscitate the baby if he is 24wks etc.. i was sent to the delivery ward directly and one moment the senior consultant and her whole team of new MOs were there checking ultrasound and even the dilation despite my objection (had been checked too many times which is not advisable), as soon as i started vomiting they cleared the room! did not even bother to call a nurse to help me clean up! i delivered my baby the following morning and they told me they would send my placenta for test.

went back to KKH for review and was told the placenta tested positive for acute chorioamnionitis, which is likely the cause for the MC, however, they also can’t rule out IC becos i was already dilated when i first saw them. was then told tat for the next pregnancy, they would refer me to the high risk team at KKH. my gynae at tmc also said the same thing tat if i were to go back to her, i would be monitored closely and on hosp leave from wk12 onwards..

i’m very lost rite now as i can’t move on without knowing wat caused the MC.. also super worried abt my next pregnancy if i’m really having IC.. any ladies have similar experience to share? would u recommend seeing the high risk team at KKH or do u have other private drs specializing in high risk pregnancies such as IC to recommend? i really need a third opinion and the directions on how to manage the next pregnancy...

I can understand how u feel because i lost mine at 20week, 3years ago. They did not give me any reason why i miscarriaged. After alot of read up, i concluded that its was IC. Nw that i m pregnant again, i insisted to do a cerclage which was done last week at TMC. Previously, my doc in TMC also recommend me to go SGH because he explained that the cost involved is really very high. He is trying to take care of my pocket as well. If we r not rich enough, we cannot afford staying in private hospital because the case can dragged very long. We wont know that we have IC unless a miscarriage happened. When i was in SGH, the doc there also keep telling me that only bb after 24 weeks can have 50 50 chance of surviving. Anything less than 24 weeks, its really hard. After i give birth, my bb was still have heart beat. But i can only see them taking her away. I blamed myself for being so helpless. I wished that they take my life instead of hers. But then, life still goes on.

Right now, i m living in fear everyday. I m scare that i will miscarriage again. So i give up my work, having bed rest daily at home. I hope that i can survive to at least 28weeks. Becausey doc said only after week 28, then the bb chance of surviving is high. But the bb will still have to stay in icu with tubes all over. I prayed everyday now, hope that i can survive thru because it is really not easy to be bed rest at home when i don really have someone to take care of me. But i am also not so rich to stay in hospital for months.

Back