2% Morphology... Help!!!

NewandConfused

Hi everyone, me and my husband has agreed that we are going to start trying to conceieve properly recently. We got married 8 months ago, and we are going to collect keys for our house and thought it's a good time to start our new life...

In the past, we also had unprotected sex (not regularly) for 3 years but never got pregnant.

We did some pre-conception checks in case anything was wrong.

Doctor told me I am perfectly healthy. So husband went for Semen Analysis and realized that his count and everything is normal, but only has 36% motility and 2% morphology.

1. Does that mean that we have very low chances of getting pregnant naturally??

2. Does IUI have high chances of pregnancy for us?? He's 26 and I'm 27.

3. Do supplements really help with his sperm quality? I read conflicting views online, some say sperm quality will never change, but some say their results improve greatly after eating certain supplements and changing their lifestyles for 2-3months.

4. Do we have to do IVF?? I read so many scary experiences of IVF, like we females have to get injections everyday to stop and restart our hormones and reproductive system. With menopause-like symptons.. I cannot imagine going through all that. :(

Hope you guys can let me know what you think. Our financial situation is not good with all the housing expenses coming up and the last thing we need is to spend thousands on conceiving!!! :(

Would appreciate your responses, thank you!!!

Hello, just to share my 2cent worth :)

Firstly, please dont be dishearted by the results. Positive-ness ok!

1. With the results, conceive naturally is possible. Might just need alil more patience. Mobility usually likes it to be 51% and morphology to be slightly much higher. (As different analysis have different reading scale, it is best for your gynae to tell you the normal range)

2. In general IUI is done only after a couple have tried naturnally for 6months to a year consec but fail to conceive naturally. IUI sucess % is about 10 to 15%. Some people strike once, if not usually 3 tries. If after 1 year of trying natural conceive + 3 cycle of IUi fail - then proceed for IVF.

3. Yes supplements does help with improving the quality of the sperm. As they contain ingredients like coq10, magnesium, zinc etc. However it should also be combine with other factors like exercising, no smoking, no tight underwears. Every 3 months the man's sperm quality is new production, unlike females where set of eggs are there when born. Test for sperm analysis after 3 months and should see improvements in the stats.

4. As mentioned, do not worry about having to go for IVF first. Because with the fine tuning of lifestyles and supplements, you will get preggy in few months time! :)

Hope all goes well. Cheers!

I honestly think supplements do help. We had worse results than you n are 10 yrs older too. Was almost abt to go for ivf. The appt was already booked. So while waiting for the date to arrive which was ard 2 months waiting time, we went tcm to prep our body n manage to conceive naturally just before my ivf appt.

@newsandconfused
Im having the same siutation. My hb has low sperm count and i have no issue.
Doc advised us to go IVF too. I am having the same worries as you. I went to research i see those scary needles i feel like giving up.

Last edited:
I honestly think supplements do help. We had worse results than you n are 10 yrs older too. Was almost abt to go for ivf. The appt was already booked. So while waiting for the date to arrive which was ard 2 months waiting time, we went tcm to prep our body n manage to conceive naturally just before my ivf appt.
Hi which tcm did you go?

my husband consume tcm as he is low sperm count. results is quite good. still continue consume for more improvement. i read a article shows that morphology is one of the important factor for natural pregnancy and ivf. the chance is lower,and high risk in giving birth to a mental defect baby. so better recuperate before plan to conceive naturally or ivf.
maybe you can try for a chinese sinseh in KL. she is famous in infertilty field. but i didnt go for her treatment as i just buy the products.
plan my next attempt for ivf, maybe next year.

Back