Reviews of Dr Phua Soo Mear (Kovan)

Jelly jelly

Please share your good or bad experiences with this gynae please. As i'm considered under high risk pregnancy if able to conceive successfully, so need to be extra careful in choosing gynae. Thanks!

I'm with him for my 2 pregnancies. I find him quite a nice doctor. Not pushy and reasonable price. Best part is short waiting time for appt.

Convenient to share your final bill size? My friend recommended Doctor Phua to me too. Still thinking if I should go to him as I'm staying at CCK.

Convenient to share your final bill size? My friend recommended Doctor Phua to me too. Still thinking if I should go to him as I'm staying at CCK.

It's my second pregnancy with him. Honestly I did not keep track of my bill. His package start from week 16 which is abt $650-$700. I compare with a few people and Dr Phua is relatively affordable I must say. Also, the waiting time is short which I like.

I just delivered no2 on 23 Jun with Dr Phua. No1 also delivered with him...

Both babies were delivered naturally without epidural, so the bill size is Ard $7k (no1) and $6.2k (no2) at MTA single bedded.

Package was $695 starting from 16w, includes US, 3D scan, urine tests. Not inclusive- supplements, GBS, other forms of blood tests.

For my no2, the umbilical cord was Ard the neck. Dr Phua was very assuring that natural birth is possible and also offered csec.

On the day of labour, he pricked my water bag, and induced me. My boy reacted negatively to the inducing med, he stopped the inducing in 15mins. He did offer csec or wait. I chose to wait. He did not pressure me to do csec.

Natural contractions started slowly, Ard 12nn (4hrs after bursting waterbag) my contractions became strong. He was at TMC for a surgery and rushed over to deliver me. He did episiotomy and one push my bb is out.

I feel comfortable with him bcos he doesn't put me up for unnecessary tests and medications. He doesn't pressure me to opt csec. He monitored my bb heartbeat closely and ensured he has sufficient oxygen.

I also liked that his clinic is v near to my home, appt waiting times r short (I dun usually need to wait). His clinic assistants also refer to me by name, which have personal touch. :)

I am very sorry to say, I will never ever go to Dr Phua. Last year when I was pregnant with my daughter, I kept having repeated spotting issues. Everytime he would give me hormones pills and asked me to rest. The bleeding got worse one day till I was soaking a pad. I rushed down to his clinic and he said the bleeding was from the womb and asked me to be admitted to Mt A for bedrest. While hospitalized, I was having stomach cramps and alot of pressure at the pelvic area. Dr Phua asked the nurses to prescribe me with panadol.
He came to do his rounds every morning, but he would just asked me how was I doing and whether I was still bleeding. I would replied him yes and pressure at pelvic. He instructed me to rest on bed. Finally on the forth day, nothing changed and he asked if I would like to go home and rest at home instead. I said ok. That very night, my water bag burst and my husband rushed me to KKH 24hr O&G. The on duty surgeon told me I was suffering from an incompetent cervix as my cevix was short, had fully funneled and dilated which resulted in the waterbag falling through the birth canal and broke.
My short cervix was a result of a leep cone that was done a few years back. I did told him during my visits that I had a leep cone performed before, but he never seemed concerned.
I have all the signs of dilations and the pressure I was feeling all along was from my bulging membrane. Dr Phua did not check me at all during my stay at the hospital nor did he conduct any check on my cervix when I was having early bleeding. Dr Phua is entirely negligent in my case. It doesn't brings me any comfort even though he was extremely affordable.

Last edited:
Highly recommend Dr Phua Soo Mear. His rates I believed is one of the cheapest in the market and he is really pro natural.

I just gave birth last December and now I am seeing him again for my second baby. Very pro natural Doctor, never mentioned induce or caesarean at all. Even when I asked if I he can induce me at 38 week (was too excited, can't wait to see baby) He said No and insist on waiting for day to come. On week 40 check still no signs of labour, so he said wait another week if no choice will induce on week 41 (Christmas day, which I was surprised as usually from the Gynaes I have heard, they will have extra charges if you request on a PH or special date) But baby decided to come out 40wk+4days, naturally.

Admitted at 11pm, dr Phua came down 30 mins later. Check my dilation and broke my waterbag. And noticed that baby had already poop, I was put on oxytocin to fasten labour. And still he didn't mention anything about csec. Everything was fast, baby was out at 230am with 6 pushes. He did episiotomy, very minimal stitches and heal very fast.

Have to say I feel even tighter then before haha like a virgin again.

His package starts from 16 weeks $695. Before that every checkup was about $90 (consultation and scan). I like that he sees me every 3 weeks and I get to see baby very often.

My total bill Mt A 2 bedder with epidural was $3k+ (including his Delivery fee) does not include baby (his was 4K plus as he stayed in NICU for one night as he swallowed meconium)

Also, I stay in Bukit Gombak, and I think Travelling the distance to see him is really worth it.

He is very soft spoken and gentle but if you have any questions he answer them in detailed.

Hi

May I know his clinic name and whether he is available on Sat?

Is he only at this clinic or other locations at well?

And the waiting time?

Where does he deliver in?

Thanks a lot!

His clinic is Gynae Health Clinic for Women. He only operates one clinic, delivers only at TMC and MountA.

Waiting time in the morning is less than 30mins, in the afternoon is less than 1hr.

He has night clinic on Wednesdays, and Sat morning half day.

His clinic is Gynae Health Clinic for Women. He only operates one clinic, delivers only at TMC and MountA.

Waiting time in the morning is less than 30mins, in the afternoon is less than 1hr.

He has night clinic on Wednesdays, and Sat morning half day.
Thanks babe for the info.
Waiting time for Sat also about 30min?

I haven seen him on Sats or Wed. Waiting time would be shorter if you manage to get earlier slots...

Wed only by appointments. Sat I am not sure...
Thank you :)

Given the list of things that need to buy and spend on, and the good reviews on him, I'm thinking of selecting him as my Gynae.

I would like to find out more about the detailed tests that Dr Phua recommends.

Week 12 is Oscar/Harmony type of test right?

How much is it and conducted where/by who?

Week 20 is a more detailed test called anomaly?

Also how much is it and conducted where/by who?

Thank you! :)

I would like to find out more about the detailed tests that Dr Phua recommends.

Week 12 is Oscar/Harmony type of test right?

How much is it and conducted where/by who?

Week 20 is a more detailed test called anomaly?

Also how much is it and conducted where/by who?

Thank you! :)

I just did Oscar last Monday at TMC diagnostic imaging centre. I took the package of Oscar + 20 week detailed scan and paid around $560.

Will come back again during 20 wk to do the detailed scan.

Harmony is a more accurate test (99%) also more expensive (over 1k). I am quite young so Dr Phua said Oscar test (90%) will do.

I just did Oscar last Monday at TMC diagnostic imaging centre. I took the package of Oscar + 20 week detailed scan and paid around $560.

Will come back again during 20 wk to do the detailed scan.

Harmony is a more accurate test (99%) also more expensive (over 1k). I am quite young so Dr Phua said Oscar test (90%) will do.

Thank u!

That's good info. :)

ImageUploadedByForum1469406354.327162.jpg

Hey ladies! I just bought Dr Phua's package today and it seems like he has already increased his package price to $750 (from $695) and now has a limit to up to 9 visits only.

I think because now it is $900 claimable Pre-natal charges instead of $450.

ImageUploadedByForum1469644840.182025.jpg

Hey ladies! I just bought Dr Phua's package today and it seems like he has already increased his package price to $750 (from $695) and now has a limit to up to 9 visits only.

I think because now it is $900 claimable Pre-natal charges instead of $450.

View attachment 649677

Hi thank you for sharing the package! I have yet to book & am reading up reviews... How's your first visit review? And $900 claimable is via medisave or?

Highly recommend Dr Phua Soo Mear. His rates I believed is one of the cheapest in the market and he is really pro natural.

I just gave birth last December and now I am seeing him again for my second baby. Very pro natural Doctor, never mentioned induce or caesarean at all. Even when I asked if I he can induce me at 38 week (was too excited, can't wait to see baby) He said No and insist on waiting for day to come. On week 40 check still no signs of labour, so he said wait another week if no choice will induce on week 41 (Christmas day, which I was surprised as usually from the Gynaes I have heard, they will have extra charges if you request on a PH or special date) But baby decided to come out 40wk+4days, naturally.

Admitted at 11pm, dr Phua came down 30 mins later. Check my dilation and broke my waterbag. And noticed that baby had already poop, I was put on oxytocin to fasten labour. And still he didn't mention anything about csec. Everything was fast, baby was out at 230am with 6 pushes. He did episiotomy, very minimal stitches and heal very fast.

Have to say I feel even tighter then before haha like a virgin again.

His package starts from 16 weeks $695. Before that every checkup was about $90 (consultation and scan). I like that he sees me every 3 weeks and I get to see baby very often.

My total bill Mt A 2 bedder with epidural was $3k+ (including his Delivery fee) does not include baby (his was 4K plus as he stayed in NICU for one night as he swallowed meconium)

Also, I stay in Bukit Gombak, and I think Travelling the distance to see him is really worth it.

He is very soft spoken and gentle but if you have any questions he answer them in detailed.
$3K plus for normal with epidural delivery at Mount Alvernia doesn't sound right for 2015. Is this just the cash outlay portion after deducting medisave? Medisave is also our money.

I had Dr Phua for both my 1st and 2nd pregnancy. 1st pregnancy was normal and I've delivered a healthy boy. 2nd pregnancy, I was miscarried at week 20 due to incompetent cervix. I was having symptoms like heavy discharge and pelvic pain, Dr Phua diagnosed me with vaginal infection and constipation. One day after the visit, I was admitted to KKH A&E as I bled. I was told that my cervix has dilated 5cm. My question is, why didn't Dr Phua check thoroughly when I was there one day ago. I was left alone in the KKH as Dr Phua is not a gynae from there, and when I called him to ask to have me transfer to MT A, he rejected my request and asked me to stay with KKH. I miscarried as no doctor attend to me to save my young baby. When I came back to Dr Phua for review after I discharged, he did not know who I am, despite of the calls I made to him when I was at KKH. He asked me how's my baby and his replies were insensitive to a mom who had just lost the baby because of his negligence. Although his fees are affordable, I would rather have a responsible attentive and caring gynae.

Back