WHO will decide C-Sect, Asst Delv or Natural/Vaginal Delv for pregnant mums?

Hi everyone, I am really a greenhorn and does not have much female friends all along so I would like to seek your truthful advice on :-

Q1) Who is the one (Gynae or Mum giving birth) to normally decide for the pregnant ladies giving births by using these 3 methods:

1) C-Sect Delivery
2) Assisted Delivery
3) Natural/Vaginal/Normal Delivery

Q2) When should usage of Epidural and GA be used?? What's the difference for both anesthetia?? Who decides for this as well??

Hope to hear from your soonest reply. Thank you all.

Hi you decide but at the end, your body will react if it can be natural or not, gyne will suggest the best option at later stage but the decision will leave it to you. You can choose epidural or not, if you choose not to but when you feel the intense pain, there is no turning back as it can only be done at the beginning

@Poshberries

Your gynea will advise you at best he / she can based on you and your baby's condition. Eg. If bb is in bridge position, gynea wld likely tell u 2 go 4 c-sect; Whether assisted or not, gynea will only know when u r giving birth. If after all d pushing, bb is not coming out, gynea will like use equipment 2 assist.

Main difference bt epidural & GA wld be for GA you wld b in deep sleep n most likely your hubby wld not be able to b by your side. But if u shld epidural, if I m not mistaken, hubby can b there by your side.

Generally if you are generally fit, and your bb has turned head down, den you can go 4 natural (with or without epidural). Whether assisted or not, it's not really a choice. It's the situation you and your bb is in dat your gynea will decide.

Hope d above explains.

@Poshberries

Your gynea will advise you at best he / she can based on you and your baby's condition. Eg. If bb is in bridge position, gynea wld likely tell u 2 go 4 c-sect; Whether assisted or not, gynea will only know when u r giving birth. If after all d pushing, bb is not coming out, gynea will like use equipment 2 assist.

Main difference bt epidural & GA wld be for GA you wld b in deep sleep n most likely your hubby wld not be able to b by your side. But if u shld epidural, if I m not mistaken, hubby can b there by your side.

Generally if you are generally fit, and your bb has turned head down, den you can go 4 natural (with or without epidural). Whether assisted or not, it's not really a choice. It's the situation you and your bb is in dat your gynea will decide.

Hope d above explains.

Hi Tiggerpooh, thanks for your reply. Pls also advise normally when does the gynae starts to tell you or ask you if the mummy should go for C-sect or Natural Birth then ????? Thanks!!

My gynea advise me when I was going into my last trimester. He wanted me 2 b prepared in case my medical condition wouldnt allow natural birth. But he knew I was more keen 2 go 4 natural ( i told him i actually prefer). He told me 2 go ahead n choose a day, n nothing happens up till d date I chose, we wld go 4 d c-sect. So after I have gotten d date, I keep telling my gal (who was still inside me) dat I leave it up 2 her. It her choice. If she comes any day b4 my c-sect date, I will go 4 natural. Otherwise, I will go under d knife.

I gave birth 2 my gal naturally wif epidural. As she was quite small, it was not assisted too.

I guess u can always let your gynea knows your preference.

@mrs_chong For c-sect, yes there is an option 2 do it wif epidural or GA.

Not v sure but I think laughing gas can b used if u decide not 2 go wif epidural. However, I have heard feedback fr my friends who told me laughing gas doesnt really ease d pain, merely distract your mind away fr d pain. Also some mommies may not b comfortable wif d gas. Do note dat if u decide 2 use laughing gas initially while in labor n changed your mind (cos it doesnt really ease your pain) n decided 2 go 4 epidural, u will b charged 4 d laughing gas & epidural.

@mrs_chong For c-sect, yes there is an option 2 do it wif epidural or GA.

Not v sure but I think laughing gas can b used if u decide not 2 go wif epidural. However, I have heard feedback fr my friends who told me laughing gas doesnt really ease d pain, merely distract your mind away fr d pain. Also some mommies may not b comfortable wif d gas. Do note dat if u decide 2 use laughing gas initially while in labor n changed your mind (cos it doesnt really ease your pain) n decided 2 go 4 epidural, u will b charged 4 d laughing gas & epidural.

Hi Tiggerpooh, how does epidural actually work?? Does it hurt when it's injected into your body?? And does epidural works as a pain killer or pain reducer only?? I heard its not a 100% pain killer as the body or vagina will still feel pain or hurt when baby is coming out during the pushing process??

@Poshberries Epidural is injected thru d spinal, quite scary as d anesthetist will tell u dat u cant move... yada yada yada.... But d whole process was quick. N it wks 4 me. I didnt feel much pain.... basically lower half of d body is numb... wont feel a thing. Gynea will reduce d epidural during d pushing process to help wif d pushing.

Main reason y I went 4 epidural instead of a painful labor was my concern about how long my labor pain was gonna b. I know of a friend who didnt go 4 epidural n d labor pain was more den 16 hrs. N when she decided 2 go 4 epidural n an hr after she was injected, she gave birth.

My labor pain started @ midnight, so I was concerned dat I may not have enough rest, hence decided 2 go 4 it so I can rest till i m fully dilated 2 push.

When r u due?

Do mummies here experiencing side effects of epidural ? Right after the jab ,trembling and shivering badly till the bed is moving ,keep Vomitting ,millions of ants bitting the legs ??

Do mummies here experiencing side effects of epidural ? Right after the jab ,trembling and shivering badly till the bed is moving ,keep Vomitting ,millions of ants bitting the legs ??

I have friends who had epidural with different side effects (shivers, vomit, heartbeat rate increase). it depends on individual and hard to say what you will face at the delivery suite. most importantly is your gynae will monitor you and just trust the medical team. dont worry too much ! ^^

I experience shivering after the jab and vomit after my baby was out. Other than that no other side effects after fully recover.

I was shivering but it started before the jab! Maybe too cold inside. Haha, after coming out of the ops I was shivering too but it didnt last too long. Probably only 2 hrs~ No other side effects :)

I was shivering but it started before the jab! Maybe too cold inside. Haha, after coming out of the ops I was shivering too but it didnt last too long. Probably only 2 hrs~ No other side effects :)
Hi Mayo,

Does the injecting of Epidural hurts? u had a elective csect w epidural right? my friends told me that the epidural injection hurts like hell... but cannot move if not will get paralyzed.. is it true?

Hi Mayo,

Does the injecting of Epidural hurts? u had a elective csect w epidural right? my friends told me that the epidural injection hurts like hell... but cannot move if not will get paralyzed.. is it true?

Hello Mhopeful,

It does hurt like hell, haha! And not your usual 2s jab! Think it's a good long 10s or so that felt like forever. Cause they dont insert the liquid in all at once, they took two go for me. Then, because I was shivering (ops theatre is super cold) it took some concentration to not move throughout the whole process.

Nurses help me sit up right, guide me to the correct jab position. Needle went in, i felt a gush of liquid and they stopped for a really short while before second push of liquid in. They did keep telling me to not move, and the getting paralysed story, not too sure but I believe wont happen so easily cause it was not too difficult to stay still for that 10s. How's your pain tolerance like? Oh and, the jab process your husband will not be with you!

Hello Mhopeful,

It does hurt like hell, haha! And not your usual 2s jab! Think it's a good long 10s or so that felt like forever. Cause they dont insert the liquid in all at once, they took two go for me. Then, because I was shivering (ops theatre is super cold) it took some concentration to not move throughout the whole process.

Nurses help me sit up right, guide me to the correct jab position. Needle went in, i felt a gush of liquid and they stopped for a really short while before second push of liquid in. They did keep telling me to not move, and the getting paralysed story, not too sure but I believe wont happen so easily cause it was not too difficult to stay still for that 10s. How's your pain tolerance like? Oh and, the jab process your husband will not be with you!

Wa mayo.. sound v scary.. why the hubby cannot be with me.. haiz... i dk how is my pain tolerance like leh... i not scare of injection or gum injection... i think my pain tolerance not low la.. normal ?? What is your pain tolerance like?

Wa mayo.. sound v scary.. why the hubby cannot be with me.. haiz... i dk how is my pain tolerance like leh... i not scare of injection or gum injection... i think my pain tolerance not low la.. normal ?? What is your pain tolerance like?

I always believed my pain tolerance is very low. Kept telling myself to tahan and get over with it. I think you can, just keep concentrating on not moving maybe can distract you off the pain from the jab!

I don't know if it is just me and Mount Elizabeth's practice. My hubs only came in after epidural and halfway through the ops. He says when he came in my gynae was already cutting me open! Lol~

Hi fellow mummies those that had csect with epidural .After the epidural Jab ,how long gynae will started the opt ? Normally how long is the procedure ? I'm really scared about this epidural .Im hoping after the jab faster proceed to the csect then by the time the epidural side effects started kicking it .Well the surgery is done ! Phew

Usually if u have opted 4 c-sect... U will b operated once d epidural is effected

Not sure if it's diff practice @ diff hospital but d anesthetist put me on fetal position Or mayb cos I was going 4 natural birth

Hi fellow mummies those that had csect with epidural .After the epidural Jab ,how long gynae will started the opt ? Normally how long is the procedure ? I'm really scared about this epidural .Im hoping after the jab faster proceed to the csect then by the time the epidural side effects started kicking it .Well the surgery is done ! Phew

I remembered being pushed into the ops theatre at 8:50am, my baby boy is out at 9:17am and when they wheeled me out of the ops theatre into recovery room it was 9:45am. My gynae came in almost immediately after I cant feel my legs. Guess he is already there waiting for my jab to be done.

For csect after delivery can eat ?

I think it depends on whether your stomach can take it how soon after the ops. Prior to the ops I was told to not eat or drink anything from 12am (my ops at 9am). After about 5 or 6 hour of the ops I was given milo to try and see if my stomach can take it. I threw it up so the nurses only gave me porridge the next morning. I had no solid food for a total of 40hours. But didn't feel too hungry because was on drip :)

For those opting for csect epidural,the surgery starts right after the epidural takes effect and it takes roughly an hour for the whole procedure .Any mummies can still remb how long you can regain back the feel of your leg after the surgery ? Thanks

For those opting for csect epidural,the surgery starts right after the epidural takes effect and it takes roughly an hour for the whole procedure .Any mummies can still remb how long you can regain back the feel of your leg after the surgery ? Thanks

I can wriggle my toes about 3 hours after the ops and by the night I can move my legs. But still I think it depends in individual very much :) Hope it helps~

I had epidural for first delivery. The nurse didn't expect my dilation to be that fast n i was given porridge to eat. I vomited on top of feeling freezing cold n trembling.... horrible feeling...

I wasn't able to push when gynae asked me to coz I felt nothing due to the epidural! It's so scary coz I do not want to end it's having emergency csect.

Usually if u have opted 4 c-sect... U will b operated once d epidural is effected

Not sure if it's diff practice @ diff hospital but d anesthetist put me on fetal position Or mayb cos I was going 4 natural birth
I had induced natural birth at My. Alernia...I was also in fetal position during epidural jab. Imagine I just ate a bowl of porridge n I have to curl up tight n stay motionless during the process.

I had induced natural birth at My. Alernia...I was also in fetal position during epidural jab. Imagine I just ate a bowl of porridge n I have to curl up tight n stay motionless during the process.

oh my... must b so terrible. Y wld they feed u when they have asked u 2 clear your bowels?

As I had contractions in d middle of d night, so d last meal i had b4 i was admitted was more than 4 hrs.

Back