11 Month Old Baby Having "Nightmares"

Hi all,

DS is turning 11 months old this week and for the past 3-4 weeks, he has been tossing and turning in his sleep (with his eyes closed), sometimes he will wake up abruptly and burst out wailing. He usually sleeps at about 9.30pm after his last feeding and will start tossing in his sleep from close to 1am. Usually I will wait a while before going to him to see if he can fall back to sleep on his own but most of the time I have to pat him back to sleep. This will happen at least 5 - 6 times a night with at least 2 crying episodes. I am a full time working mother expecting #2 and I am taking care of him at night, this is the first time such thing is happening and I feel very sad to see him not able to sleep soundly like before... This is also affecting my sleep which makes me extremely exhausted at work.

During the day, it is my mil and helper who are his primary caregivers. I understand from my mil that she has reduced his nap sessions to just once in the afternoon which means there is a gap of about 7 hours from the time he wakes up say about 2+pm till he goes to bed at night. I do not feel that this is right and have asked her to try to go back to his usual routine of having 2 naps in the afternoon but she said babies do not need much sleep as they get older. Instead she told me not to play with him / make him laugh when I get back from work as this will trigger his nightmares.

Has any mummies have had the same experience? Has this got to do with lack of sleep during the day / too much play? Or could it be due to growth spurt? Appreciate your thoughts and views on this matter.

Hi

I don't thk it is uncommon for babies to toss in sleep. Babies are like adults. They do have dreams & when hving nightmares, it may trigger cries. For persistent/frequent crying, may need to find out more. 1 possible reason could be yr baby feeling hungry? Some babies may hv stopped night feed & after few weeks/mths, may need to feed again. Did you just change his sleeping environment? Sometimes there are no reasons & after a while, babies will just outgrow this crying. I do agree with your MIL to cut down on activities that will cause excitness to your baby after 4pm cos this may keep their minds active which is the cause of nightmares.

Hi ironmaiden80

Is your LO still having issues with sleeping?
A one year old needs at least 2 to 3 hours of nap each day spreading over 2 sessions. Babies drop naps from 2 to 1 session only from 15m-18m onwards. Babies can only stay awake for at most 3-4 hours till the next nap, and should not nap after 4pm if you want him to go for bedtime nicely. And, move the bedtime to 7pm instead of 930pm which is way too late.

Take for example my LO who has turned one last month, her routine is

730am - awake
830-9am - 1st nap
10-1030am - awake
1130am-12pm - lunch
2-230pm-2nd nap.
330-4pm - awake
645-7pm - bed time routine starts

This has been good for my LO so far. No crankiness, only happy baby in the house.

I hope this helps.

Serene
Https://beezmombazaar.wordpress.com
Www.fairyangelshop.com

Hi ironmaiden80

A one year old needs at least 2 to 3 hours of nap each day spreading over 2 sessions. Babies drop naps from 2 to 1 session only from 15m-18m onwards. Babies can only stay awake for at most 3-4 hours till the next nap, and should not nap after 4pm if you want him to go for bedtime nicely. And, move the bedtime to 7pm instead of 930pm which is way too late.

730am - awake
830-9am - 1st nap
10-1030am - awake
1130am-12pm - lunch
2-230pm-2nd nap.
330-4pm - awake

This has been good for my LO so far. No crankiness, only happy baby in the house.

I hope this helps.

Serene
Www.fairyangelshop.com

Hi Serene,

Apologies for the late reply.

We are unable to move his bedtime earlier as my mil / helper feeds him at 6.30pm and takes his bath at 7pm. I only get home by 8pm. I understand from my mil that it is hard to put him to sleep when hb and I come home later than the usual timing (I like to think he is waiting for us. Hahaha). But I will try to shift his bedtime slightly earlier at 8+pm to see if there's improvement.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Hi ironmaiden80

730am - awake
830-9am - 1st nap
10-1030am - awake
1130am-12pm - lunch
2-230pm-2nd nap.
330-4pm - awake

I hope this helps.

Serene
Www.fairyangelshop.com
Hi serene,

May I ask if ur lo is still asleep after her supposed nap time, do you wake her up or just let her wake up naturally...

Hi serene,

May I ask if ur lo is still asleep after her supposed nap time, do you wake her up or just let her wake up naturally...

Day time, i would let her sleep if she wants to at her usual timing, tho at times she fights naps. And thats ok. By 1/2hr she is still reluctant to nap I would being her out of the room and try again 1/2hr later.

Now that she is 13 months old coming to 14, i restrict total daytime naps to max 3 hrs. No naps after 4pm so that the interval is long enough through bedtime.

Hi @IronMaiden80 its perfectly normal for a child to wake up at night, i have also been disturbed by my child often. Yes it may be the reason that you play with him in the night, making him excited and not able to sleep. You should create a routine for him. When it is near bed time, dim the lights, speak softly, do not excite him anymore. He will then understand and differentiate day from night. One ultimate technique that i use is to play this soundtrack, it even works on me, i manage to sleep better than before haha right now i have been implementing the routine technique for him as well as playing the soothing soundtrack at night before and during bed. I hope it helps :)

Back