Private Gynae in KKH

correct me if im wrong.

my colleague did a alittle research about this and she found out that:
eg; u are having vaginal delivery half way and you need an emergency c-sec.

KKH will only charge c-sec, butTMC will charge both labour ward cost & OT usage for c-sec.

I am not sure about KKH, but yes if you natural half way then move to emergency C section, there will be extra charges but i doubt it is the total will be as if you give birth twice. Most likely a portion of the natural delivery charges depending on how long you struggle in the labor suite + full charges emergency C section.

thank you mummies. i was told being a private patient in KKH is no different from TMC.

i think there IS a difference after all. KKH private will be cheaper somehow.

things are so complicated now..

Hello, actually not complicated.

TMC is definitely not the most expensive private hospital to pop a baby. KKH is suppose to be among the cheapest place to pop a baby IF you are a subsidy patient. Now here is the twist, IF you decide to be a private patient to pop your baby in KKH, your bill will not differ significantly from TMC. Hope this make you clear or i made you more blur.

Regardless, go to MOH website, they collect actual statistic on the pricing for all hospital. but it does not give breakdown. A lot of parent like to see breakdown, actually last time me too. But now i think MOH is smart, beco it is pointless to see breakdown beco at the end of the day, regardless where you decide to pop your baby when they give you the bill, you are expected to pay fully. so know the specific breakdown is kinda of irrelvant information that most parent love to have but at the end of the day is relatively useless and very confusing.

Hi..im with Dr Jessie Phoon in TPS. Due soon in June but was told can go to ward A1 or B1 ward upon delivery... is it true?

Hello, the only way to make sure it is your preferred Dr Phoon to help you pop the baby is to make yourself a private patient in KKH. As a private patient in KKH, you can only choose A1 & B1 beco other choice of ward are reserve for subsidise patient.

KKH rationale is simple, if patient can afford to choose a specific doctor to help them, then they must also be rich enough to afford more expensive ward.

cheers

Hi Evilcarebear,

May I know the deposit must pay in cash or credit card also can? Tks
Sorry for late reply. Credit card is acceptable.

Just to share... i ended up staying 1.5 days in B1 because at the time of my delivery, A1 wards were fully occupied.

Paid deposit of $1,400... minus $2000+ from medisave, govt grant $900+.. i was reimbursed $900+ by kkh. Delivery was natural w no epidural.

Sorry for late reply. Credit card is acceptable.

Just to share... i ended up staying 1.5 days in B1 because at the time of my delivery, A1 wards were fully occupied.

Paid deposit of $1,400... minus $2000+ from medisave, govt grant $900+.. i was reimbursed $900+ by kkh. Delivery was natural w no epidural.

Congrats mummy. Have a super good rest.

Delivery was totally uneventful and baby doing great? Btw, is there a way to request/ask for a specific senior consultant PD to look after the brand new little one?

Congrats mummy. Have a super good rest.

Delivery was totally uneventful and baby doing great? Btw, is there a way to request/ask for a specific senior consultant PD to look after the brand new little one?

Thanks Daddy aaa111.

Delivery was smooth but when PD came to check, found out that my son was development issues. Rectum n intestine not connected. Had to go thru a corrective surgery on Day 2. :(

Not sure if it is possible request for specific pd.

Wa, very brave! to go natural without epidural. How did you manage the pain??

Endure. Hold onto the bed railings whenever the contraction kicks in. Bite on ice helps too. I rem for my #1, i took hours before delivering so i bite on ice to relieve the pain

Endure. Hold onto the bed railings whenever the contraction kicks in. Bite on ice helps too. I rem for my #1, i took hours before delivering so i bite on ice to relieve the pain

I also want to go w/o epidural if not too painful. You are really brave. How many hours did you take for your 1st child?

I also want to go w/o epidural if not too painful. You are really brave. How many hours did you take for your 1st child?

Your can do it too! jiayou! Tell yourself that epidural is not an option and you are not going to take it.

There are quite a bit of side effects for epidural and I have friends who went thru bad experience after taking epidural..

First child was induced. Went in delivery suite at about 12am... that same day 6pm delivered.. it was a long process but a kind nurse offered me a big cup of ice to chew on and that kept me going.

Your can do it too! jiayou! Tell yourself that epidural is not an option and you are not going to take it.

There are quite a bit of side effects for epidural and I have friends who went thru bad experience after taking epidural..

First child was induced. Went in delivery suite at about 12am... that same day 6pm delivered.. it was a long process but a kind nurse offered me a big cup of ice to chew on and that kept me going.

Your labour took from 12am -6pm which was 18 hours in the labour ward? That's very long indeed..
I asked the gynae and went for pregnancy talks. They mentioned that some ppl said they have memory loss, backache issues due to epidurals. However, according to gynaes, they said some already have pre-existing conditions before pregnancy. Though no experience, but will still keep an open mind. But it will depends on how fast I can deliver. Keep my fingers crossed. :p

Your labour took from 12am -6pm which was 18 hours in the labour ward? That's very long indeed..
I asked the gynae and went for pregnancy talks. They mentioned that some ppl said they have memory loss, backache issues due to epidurals. However, according to gynaes, they said some already have pre-existing conditions before pregnancy. Though no experience, but will still keep an open mind. But it will depends on how fast I can deliver. Keep my fingers crossed. :p
I was put on epidural at 4am, gave birth at coming 8pm, so about 16 hours on the bed. Spent my time sleeping :p cos I knew I would not have so many hours of sleep when the baby comes along. One of the side effects was fever during labour and shivers after delivery...

I was put on epidural at 4am, gave birth at coming 8pm, so about 16 hours on the bed. Spent my time sleeping :p cos I knew I would not have so many hours of sleep when the baby comes along. One of the side effects was fever during labour and shivers after delivery...

Sounds like no pain at all. :) Any side effects after that for you?

My friend took epidural and lost control of bowels n urinating immd after delivering. Hospital refused to take responsibility and offered her $500 as compensation.

took her slightly more than a year to recover after seeking treatment from TMC.

My friend took epidural and lost control of bowels n urinating immd after delivering. Hospital refused to take responsibility and offered her $500 as compensation.

Hi, can I know which hospital is that? when did it happen?

Hmmm....that's why those who opt for epidural have to sign an indemnity form...the hospital will not take responsibility..

Abit scary though.. also depends on our body condition, I guess.
If I can pop out fast, I hope epidural can be opt out. Btw, how much is the epidural cost in kkh?

If I can pop out fast, I hope epidural can be opt out. Btw, how much is the epidural cost in kkh?
If this is your first kid, then may take slightly longer.

Sorry, I dun recall the costs...

Hello, epidural typically cost $1K-$3K and you can decide on the day you pop, but it will good to decide earlier and inform the doctor in advance so that everything can be prepared ahead of time for you. epidural effect take a while to kicks in, if your baby decide to come out super fast, maybe they dun even have the time to give you the jab.

jia you.

@aaa111, I really hope bb can come out fast so that epidural can be avoided. But my pain threshold is abit low, I think I might opt for it eventually..

@aaa111, I really hope bb can come out fast so that epidural can be avoided. But my pain threshold is abit low, I think I might opt for it eventually..

Hello mummy, it is every mummy dream that the baby will guide out by him/herself the 10mins after she ly on the bed in the delivery suite and the gynac is standing ready to catch the baby and cut/tie the cord. However, such things are very hard to predict de.

Every thing we do come with a certain amount of risk & cost. This is the same as epidural, then again, the best person to decide whether you should take the epidural jab is yourself. Even your ah lao cannot decide this for you beco you are the one who got to go thru the pain & jab. But still good thing to speak to him about it.

There are mummy who set time limit for themselves, meaning they will look at the clock once contraction started. They will tell themselves that in X hours time, if the baby will still not pop out, then they will request for epidural.

No hard & fast rules regarding epidural, thousand of mummies use it every single day without any side effect, but there will alsways be that 1-2 mummy who was not so fortunate to suffer some side effect, the cause of side effects can be many many such as the kungfu of the doctor not so good, mummy pre condition, defective batch of medication etc. Close to impossible to nail down which exact cause de.

jia you.

i gv birth last Oct in KKH, csect by doctor Edwin Thia. I was referred to dr Edwin by Dr Ben Tham of TMC when i was about 32weeks preggy. Reason why is bcoz dr ben suspected my baby has IUGR but he couldnt confirm. So i started to visit both KKH & TMC weekly until week 36 and i decided to give birth in KKH under private patient and i took up ward A1.

Initially i felt quite reluctant to change gynea especially i already 32weeks preggy. But dr ben worried that baby will be delivered small and required NICU and that could cost us a bomb in TMC. Thus he suggested to me to go n see his fren Dr Edwin for 2nd opinion. I am glad that dr ben help to arrange everything for me to transfer to KKH. Dr edwin is a great gynea, caring and he would tried to answer to our doubts and ensure i am well taken care of. My c-sect heals well, i can walk and move around normally after 2weeks :)

Love the atmosphere in ward 81, the nurses are excellent and spacious ward too!

in total, i top up cash for S$2.7K for 4D3N stay. Baby bill is S$16.70 after medisave :)

Hi, saw that you mentioned u were being referred to Dr Edwin Thia due to IUGR. Im currently being referred by another gynae to Dr Edwin Thia as well. Can i know what are the symptoms which Dr Ben Tham identified that lead to suspicion of IUGR?

Did you managed to deliver after the full term and how's your bb condition now?

i gv birth last Oct in KKH, csect by doctor Edwin Thia. I was referred to dr Edwin by Dr Ben Tham of TMC when i was about 32weeks preggy. Reason why is bcoz dr ben suspected my baby has IUGR but he couldnt confirm. So i started to visit both KKH & TMC weekly until week 36 and i decided to give birth in KKH under private patient and i took up ward A1.

Initially i felt quite reluctant to change gynea especially i already 32weeks preggy. But dr ben worried that baby will be delivered small and required NICU and that could cost us a bomb in TMC. Thus he suggested to me to go n see his fren Dr Edwin for 2nd opinion. I am glad that dr ben help to arrange everything for me to transfer to KKH. Dr edwin is a great gynea, caring and he would tried to answer to our doubts and ensure i am well taken care of. My c-sect heals well, i can walk and move around normally after 2weeks :)

Love the atmosphere in ward 81, the nurses are excellent and spacious ward too!

in total, i top up cash for S$2.7K for 4D3N stay. Baby bill is S$16.70 after medisave :)
They are referred to Dr Tham and Dr Thia. Not by their first names. We are Chinese. Not malay. Only malay people you refer by first name after Mr/Ms/Madam because malay don't have a surname/family name.

Actually all cultures are to be referred to by their family names after the salutation Mr/Dr/Prof including Ang moh, Chinese, Jewish, Korean, Japanese.

Only malays don't have surname/family name.

Last edited:
Go for it, why endure unnecessary pain?

I just gave birth to my 2nd kid and I was pleasantly surprised that the amount of pain was minimized. I went for induction cos I was 3cm dilated. I requested for epidural though I was not feeling any pain - the nurses thought I was mad, but I insisted. Even at 9cm, 10cm dilated, they and myself were surprised that I could not feel any pain/ contraction. But ultimately, I delivered my kid naturally, with assistance.

Go for it, why endure unnecessary pain?

I just gave birth to my 2nd kid and I was pleasantly surprised that the amount of pain was minimized. I went for induction cos I was 3cm dilated. I requested for epidural though I was not feeling any pain - the nurses thought I was mad, but I insisted. Even at 9cm, 10cm dilated, they and myself were surprised that I could not feel any pain/ contraction. But ultimately, I delivered my kid naturally, with assistance.

Congratulations to you. I have given birth via csec 2 mths' ago. It was last min as my dilation is only 6cm after epidural. Not sure whether the dilation is affected by epidural as it's my first time. Anyway, I am not sure whether I want a 2nd one as I am still coping with my 1st bb.

Congratulations to you. I have given birth via csec 2 mths' ago. It was last min as my dilation is only 6cm after epidural. Not sure whether the dilation is affected by epidural as it's my first time. Anyway, I am not sure whether I want a 2nd one as I am still coping with my 1st bb.
Epidural will speed up dilation..but such things are hard to say..but glad that mother & baby are fine!

Epidural will speed up dilation..but such things are hard to say..but glad that mother & baby are fine!

I wonder why mine was the same throughout. My gynae said it's stubborn cervix, other docs said bb's head is big & i got small pelvis. I am really perplexed. :'(

I wonder why mine was the same throughout. My gynae said it's stubborn cervix, other docs said bb's head is big & i got small pelvis. I am really perplexed. :'(
Nvm la...maybe for the next kid, walk more & do more squats when nearer to EDD, should help

Hi Mummies,

Anyone can share our ur experience with KKH A class ward? Like how's the environment? Do we wear hospital clothes or own pj??? How's the journey like? (Report to delivery suite or) Going to give birth for the first time next month.. What to pack for labour?

Hi Mummies,

Anyone can share our ur experience with KKH A class ward? Like how's the environment? Do we wear hospital clothes or own pj??? How's the journey like? (Report to delivery suite or) Going to give birth for the first time next month.. What to pack for labour?
KKH a class ward is like a hotel room, warm & cosy and your hubs can stay overnight. Firstly we have to report to the delivery suite (2nd level, women's tower), it's only when you delivered and if there's room availability, you will be sent to the A class ward. Wear hospital clothes (pink baju). Bathing towels are provided; they give you a small pack of toiletries like tooth brush and tooth paste, bathing gel & shampoo

[QUOTE="towkayneo, post: [/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing. So from week what onwards we need to report to delivery suite instead of A&E, like if we not too sure if going to deliver or some complications kicks in.. Throughout the stay after delivery we can't wear own pajamas??

Thanks for sharing. So from week what onwards we need to report to delivery suite instead of A&E, like if we not too sure if going to deliver or some complications kicks in.. Throughout the stay after delivery we can't wear own pajamas??

if I remember correctly, once you hit 22nd or 24th week, you can report to the delivery suite instead of A&E. You can check with the nurse again. After delivery, you can wear your PJs, but their pink baju are quite helpful in breastfeeding

if I remember correctly, once you hit 22nd or 24th week, you can report to the delivery suite instead of A&E. You can check with the nurse again. After delivery, you can wear your PJs, but their pink baju are quite helpful in breastfeeding
Thanks for sharing... I only scare the pink dress is too ugly when visitor comes... Hahaha... By the way do you have a list of items to pack for labour for KKH.

Thanks for sharing... I only scare the pink dress is too ugly when visitor comes... Hahaha... By the way do you have a list of items to pack for labour for KKH.
The visitors will be more keen to look at your baby :p this time round, I packed light- main essentials were disposable panties, own shampoo & facial wash, baby home clothes and swaddle.

The visitors will be more keen to look at your baby :p this time round, I packed light- main essentials were disposable panties, own shampoo & facial wash, baby home clothes and swaddle.
Can share your A ward's total bill? Also how much was baby's bill?

TIA

TIA
I don't really keep track the exact figures - mine was a straightforward 2D stay, so it's about $5k plus..(the exact figure can be extracted from KKH website). Paid deposit of about $2k plus and part of the bill is paid w medisave.

TIA
Mine was c sec. Actual cash paid $39xx after all the deductions. Babies can't remember. One of them stayed extra day for cardiologist check. But you can claim 450$ medisave per day for bb.

May I ask when will we be given the admission kit? Because up till now 35 weeks dr had not talk anything about labour and admission neither the assistance. And Dr still seeing me every 4 weeks.

Back