Year 2016 IVF Mummy To-Be

Policy can only be bought from wk 18 - 32. Currently we at 28. So left about 4 weeks to decide only. Next week I am going to jurong. AXA. My friend is there. See how? I am really noob in such. Just wan a policy which covers birth as well as savings - education in future etc. Hope can get such and don't bother over

Hi skyangel, I am a silent reader who just happen to see there is this thread and would like to join all of u. I am 8 wks with twins and there are so many questions and queries to ask about. My dr is Dr THH. I am also looking at the maternity insurance from AXA & AIA. Must we give any proof that we are 13 or 16 wks pregnant before we can purchase the insurance?

If u are getting the AIA policy, there's a questionnaire that our gynae need to fill up. Please try to pass to Dr Tan earlier. I bought my policy late in 3rd Trimester and was rushing to get it fill up by Dr Tan. As my appointment with him was 3 weeks later, I had to go through the medical report dept and paid $100+ just for a medical officer to look thru my medical records and fill up that questionnaire. =( Rem to ask the clinic assistant for a photocopy of the detailed scan report. Requesting for that from the medical report dept will cost u $10+.

I wouldn't want to go to a gynae who discriminate against ivf patient.
Hi IVF mummies,
Another question... Do all of you manage to get a package with your preferred private gynae even after knowing you conceived via IVF?
Reason being, I really wanted to go for Dr HK Ho of Mt A after raving recommendations by two friends but his clinic informed me that because I'm IVF case I will not be offered package at all, will be charged per consultation visit each time. Did some thinking and realized this is going to be very expensive for me, no? Or should I just plan one consultation visit with him and see if I am even comfortable with Dr Ho first?
I have another recommendation to go for Dr Kenneth Lee at Mt A, and was told his charges are reasonable and I will still be offered package although IVF case.
Any advice for me here? Should I visit both gynae once and see how from there?
Yes as you can see, I have a clear preference for Mt A and wish to have my delivery done there.
Im currently 7 weeks along...
Thank you all in advance!

Initial cost aside, i would consult both doctors. i dont think doctors would 'discriminate' against IVF cases, cos not everyone is blessed with conceived naturally. I would personally ask why is it that because it's an IVF case, i cannot be offered the package (just to clear up my doubts). After which, go ahead and consult Dr Lee at Mt A, finding a doctor whom you are comfortable with is super important. it helps to calm my nerves :) good luck! update us on your progress! hope its not too late to reply to your question.

Skyangel, Bunny33, Shinkirou, thanks for all yr advise!! I will wait for my first trimester screening then. Just to share, Dr THH told me ginger water helps to overcome morn sickness and nauseous and I finally tried today. Seems like he is right about it.

Initial cost aside, i would consult both doctors. i dont think doctors would 'discriminate' against IVF cases, cos not everyone is blessed with conceived naturally. I would personally ask why is it that because it's an IVF case, i cannot be offered the package (just to clear up my doubts). After which, go ahead and consult Dr Lee at Mt A, finding a doctor whom you are comfortable with is super important. it helps to calm my nerves :) good luck! update us on your progress! hope its not too late to reply to your question.

Thank you!! Yes I think I will indeed consult both doctors and find out who I am more comfortable with after all... Will keep posted of my decision after :)

I went straight to AXA (or rather, went to their booth during the last baby fair). The agent serving me showed me comparisons between the 2 insurance companies offering maternity insurance for IVF cases. For AXA, they cover more maternal and congenital complications (1 or 2 more actually) than AIA, and they offer coverage for child up to 6 years whereas the other companies including Prudential and GE only provide coverage up to 3 years. Comes in handy if child is ever hospitalized for HFMD as the child is more susceptible to getting it when starting childcare.

AXA's plan has 2 parts - the insurance coverage and a investment-linked plan for savings, for which you can transfer the latter to your child after delivery without further underwriting (provided the sum assured is not more than $200k). The two are linked, i.e. you can't get just the insurance coverage alone.

I have the product summary, I can email the copy to whoever's interested for your information.

Thanks skyangel!! I'm still early in first trimester so I Guess I have time to find out about both companies at this point. But thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't want to go to a gynae who discriminate against ivf patient.

Thanks Bunny for all the advice. Yeah I will find out why this clinic treats Ivf cases as such... Was told by nurse it's considered high risk like in cases of twins. But I'm not having twins lor, or so the scans have so far shown.
Will update after my first Gynae appt this Thursday

Thanks Bunny for all the advice. Yeah I will find out why this clinic treats Ivf cases as such... Was told by nurse it's considered high risk like in cases of twins. But I'm not having twins lor, or so the scans have so far shown.
Will update after my first Gynae appt this Thursday
My gynae told me that once you conceived successfully via IVF, you are equivalent to any naturally conceived woman out there. So i'm still surprised at the conservative approach of some doctors/insurance companies out there. Maybe cos the technology is just 30+ years old, they wanted confirm-plus-chop track record before committing :rolleyes:

Any mummies here encounter short cervix length which might cause pre term labour? When for my cervix length check today at week 20 and its 2.9cm and doc comment that i might have 15% chance of pre term labour before week 35. Am quite worry about it.

Any mummies here encounter short cervix length which might cause pre term labour? When for my cervix length check today at week 20 and its 2.9cm and doc comment that i might have 15% chance of pre term labour before week 35. Am quite worry about it.
Sorry i don't have experience but my friend did bed rest for short cervix... Hers was high risk case though, as she has had previous losses.

Scan on last Saturday. Now 28 weeks. Bbboy head not lowered yet. Have to csect if don't turn. Weigh at 1.803kg. Dr say big. Sugar level is ok, hence fine. Anyone can share?

Scan on last Saturday. Now 28 weeks. Bbboy head not lowered yet. Have to csect if don't turn. Weigh at 1.803kg. Dr say big. Sugar level is ok, hence fine. Anyone can share?
Mine 2.11kg at wk 28. Sugar level borderline. My gynae didn't say anything abt the weight. Maybe I already opt for csect. I have to watch my sugar level until delivery

Don't carry heavy thing. What did ur gynae advise u. Bed rest or anything to look out? Better mentally prepare, ur baby maybe pre-m. Then mean may need to stay in NICU.

I have no idea the weight of my kid now. At 25 weeks plus, he weighed about 800g. No discussion about head down, so I assumed not yet. Sugar level for me ok. Maybe @DawnBB can share so that we can cross reference since our EDD is relatively near?

My scan at wk27+ bb weighed 1.399kg equivalent to GA 28wk+/-. Sugar level ok. Bb head also not lower down yet while doc said bb size is good, neither too big nor small. If bb is too big before turning down, risk is higher that bb lack of space & difficult to turn down later, so may need c-sec. Dun worry too much now. Most important is bb and your Mrs both healthy and fine.

Towkay. Insurance buy liao mah huh
I didn't buy the AIA or AXA insurance covering pregnancy complications as my agent advised that I already have existing health and hospitalisation policies for myself covering maternity hospitalisation expenses and pregnancy complications cases. Also consider no family history of congenital illnesses and tests so far suggested very low risks, I'm comfortable to skip the coverage for congenital illnesses as well at this stage. As such, I will be waiting till bb born le then use her health report after birth to underwrite for buying separate insurance policies for bb.

You need to consider if you need to cover your Mrs for potential pregnancy complications if considering the AIA or AXA mummy advantages policies, esp if your Mrs does not have existing policies of her own covering such complications. The additional advantage of buying the AIA one is that bb can ride on this policy and it does not require bb's health report after birth in order for you to add on insurance policies covering the baby later.

Last edited:
Dawn. Is similar to wat Aia spoke. I wan cover complication as well as child education. Aia quote 350 one time payment and monthly of 124 - sum assured of 100k - more education plan. This sat I going down to my wife friend side AXA to find out more. Wan to get it done asap. Since only 18-32 wk for complication coverage. So we are like now left with only 4 weeks only. Really noob in such policy etc.

Btw, next scan is 3 wks later. 18 June, sat. Have u went for tmc tour? I attended last Sat.

You might find this table useful to gauge if ur baby's weight is all right.
(Taken from http://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html)
image.jpeg

When u say head not lowered u mean head down or just not lowered further down? I understand as long as before 36 weeks, still possible for baby to move to head down position (as long as they are not too big). As for position, they don't usually go too low until it is abt a week to few days before labour then they become "engaged"...

Mei. Now head on left tummy. Leg on right. I always talk to bb, play music etc. kicks more obvious which I think is reaction response. Trying hard to convey him and position well

Mei. Now head on left tummy. Leg on right. I always talk to bb, play music etc. kicks more obvious which I think is reaction response. Trying hard to convey him and position well
Think still got time to move, so not to worry too much.

Thanks for asking... I tried genetic scan with prof ananda... He didn't detect any abnormality besides high NT... Asked to do harmony test also. So just waiting for results and hope for the best ;)
Jia you! when will the results be out?

ehhh..piglet, v vague ley your Q. My first thought is, are you referring to the baby bag given by KKH when discharged :p
Sorry. I was thinking what to put inside for my delivery bag to bring to KKH. Due for my delivery in 4wks time. I remember I have to put baby clothes n receiving blanket. For mummy is toiletries n home clothes. Need to bring towel? Anything else?

Last edited:
Anyone can share what Kkh give for delivery?
I think they gave towel and toiletries... I wore hospital gown thru out stay. In the baby freebies they gave a diaper bag, towel, and some samples...

Maybe u wanna bring socks and a jacket for urself (tho they have blanket). For baby bring one set of clothes and receiving blanket.

Sorry. I was thinking what to put inside for my delivery bag to bring to KKH. Due for my delivery in 4wks time. I remember I have to put baby clothes n receiving blanket. For mummy is toiletries n home clothes. Need to bring towel? Anything else?

Kkh give u a baby bag consist of...

- toiletries for mummy (toothbrush +paste,face towel,shampoo,body wash,sanitary napkins,shower cap,comb)
-they also provide disposable panties
-if never remb wrongly have towel but I brought my own cos I a bit OCD
-some samples stuff to bring back

I packed in my own hospital bag :

-baby clothes and swaddle
-I wore back the clothes I check in hospital cos dun wan bring so much stuff..
-towel as mentioned I a bit OCD
- powder shampoo
-socks but never get to wear cos c-sec dr order wear compression socks

I stayed in B1 ward n the air con is not very cold(in fact I find hot)..,so jacket up to urself.

Last edited:

- toiletries for mummy (toothbrush +paste,face towel,shampoo,body wash,sanitary napkins,shower cap,comb)

- powder shampoo

I stayed in B1 ward n the air con is not very cold(in fact I find hot)..,so jacket up to urself.
Oh ya @piglet02 they also gave a pack of body wet wipes, which is qt useful if u don't wanna bathe yet...

- powder shampoo

we need to bring binder too right?

oh hahaha...baby clothes & blanket for swaddling...I did not bring along my towels then, they provide. Maybe your own shampoo and facial cleanser, sanitary pads, socks, comb?

I think they gave towel and toiletries... I wore hospital gown thru out stay. In the baby freebies they gave a diaper bag, towel, and some samples...

Maybe u wanna bring socks and a jacket for urself (tho they have blanket). For baby bring one set of clothes and receiving blanket.
Oh ya, the obiang pink colour hospital gown :p

we need to bring binder too right?

I never buy the binder 1st...cos after surgery I get the nurse to measure me so I can get the right size for d binder...

Then I told hubby my measure(by cm),he went down to pharmacy and buy it. ..cost less than $60...

P.s (my period lasted almost a month after give birth, so used quite a nos. Of sanitary napkins...If can u prep a few those thick overnight packs will do to standby at home)

Dunno lei, shd be fri or else next wk liao. Really hope nothing wrong...

I still have to pass the next major hurdle, which is detailed scan... :(

Understand your anxiety to wait for test result...n glad to know the 2nd opinion given to u by prof ananda is good so think toward tt direction ya...

Mei, did Prof provide any explanation on the high NT and what are the other implications other than DS? Since Prof is qt positive, i think all would be fine. When's your detailed scan?

Mei, did Prof provide any explanation on the high NT and what are the other implications other than DS? Since Prof is qt positive, i think all would be fine. When's your detailed scan?
He just said sometimes high NT just happens and no one knows why.
He ruled out trisomy 13 and 18 based on scan. But cos 1-2% of DS shows no abnormalities, he asked to take harmony test for peace of mind (which i was actually pretty reluctant to take cos so ex!!!)
High NT can also be cos of other genetic and metabolic syndromes that can only be tested by amnio. Or else heart defect. He has ruled out major heart defects alr though. So really hope it is just a fluke that the NT was high :(

Detailed scan in mid July... Thanks for asking :)

Hello all! :) hope everybody is doing fine!
Motherhood is hectic hectic hectic! And I misssssssssssss being pregnant!

Anyway, just to share, for those delivering at TMC and asking for single bedder, they actually gave me a 2 bedder at first because it was full house. We had to insist and keep chasing them before they moved me to my desired room. Pfft.. this despite their promise during the tour that they will only upgrade and not downgrade! So if you kena, then keep chasing them ok.

Hello all! :) hope everybody is doing fine!
Motherhood is hectic hectic hectic! And I misssssssssssss being pregnant!

Anyway, just to share, for those delivering at TMC and asking for single bedder, they actually gave me a 2 bedder at first because it was full house. We had to insist and keep chasing them before they moved me to my desired room. Pfft.. this despite their promise during the tour that they will only upgrade and not downgrade! So if you kena, then keep chasing them ok.
Congrats!! Welcome to motherhood ;)

Back