Any attendees at small wonder yishun ?

amandax

After changing sch from LV biopolis to yishun small wonders , the new teacher has commented a completely different character of my child. I'm keen to find out more comments about the school while observing my kid . Wonder if I made the wrong choice that may marr my toddler psychologically . Any parents can provide me more insight n which class is positive as I often hear crying (tho its norm) which is not in LV biopolis cos the teachers are really good .

As a parent of two kids from the same centre, I strongly discourage you to enrol your kids there anymore. I've already withdrawn my kids from there. Sadly, they didnt bring the values from LV over to Small Wonder.
My son had a change in his behaviour just being in the school for two months. He was more rebellious, disobedient, throwing temper and cries at a simple thing. The kids there cries alot which I do not notice it at all at his new school even though all his classmates are new too.

There are 1001 things that are not done properly or correctly. Not sure if you noticed but these are the stuff.

- no specific person to sign a child in and do proper checks at all times. Randomly I do the checks for my kids many times already because the rest of the teachers were either busy or late and thus I have to do the checks.

- Teachers are often late and not committed. The Chinese teacher of my son's class comes at around 10am to 1030am. So what happens beforehand would be another random teacher of other classes to handle (but i meant just to oversee). The kids; will then throw all the toys over the floor, cry alot, snatch toys from one another.

- Hygiene. This is something we parents are concerned of. Half of my child's class are often with kids with runny muscus flowing all the way to the mouth. So imagine the amount of bacteria around. When they have their meals, there isnt any discipline so everyone scooped their food all over and they are everywhere on the floor. Just shortly after the NEW school is open, they already have case of HFMD.

- Professional behaviour by the teachers. In front of the parents (me), the teachers can discuss loudly of how badly behaved the other kid is. I feel as a parent, not right to criticise in the way between another parent and in front of the kid. Discouragement is the worst of all from a school.

- Principal has no involvement at all. Of all the schools, this is the worst. I have never been so NOT close to a school principal at all. Even when my child was there and i wanted to withdraw her, she has no idea which class she is from. And there wasnt much persuasion or improvement she suggest to keep her from leaving.

- Academic and artwork. Don't think about letting your kid learn anything from the school. There will be nothing except bad behaviour. My son's artwork for 2months consist of 5-6 A3 size paper with scribbles. He's Nursery 2. My daughter's artwork consist of A3 paper with scribbles. She's PG. When i feedback to the principal, she explained that it's the way the school functions, they dont even tell the kids where the eyes are supposed to be in a drawing. If it's wrong, they will know it sooner or later where it should be.

- Administrative is horrible. When i first enrolled my son, there wasnt any paperwork for me to fill up, until he started school and I asked for them. School uniforms are out of stock but when the stock arrived, no one informed and I had to ask again. And now, my son's new school principal just told me that the Small Wonder hasnt withdrawn him from their system (his last day of school was 31 Dec 2014) and the new school cannot key in to their system. Talk about pitying the new admin girl.

- Safety. Very relaxed system. When my mom first picked my son up, I phoned the school, wanting to text them my mom's IC. But the admin said no need. When i asked how they identify my mom as his grandmother, she said 'oh since you have informed, we will inform the teacher". And then, when my mom went to pick him up, she was just let into the school with no need for identification proof and brought my son back. And she said the class teacher said no one informed her that it is my mom to pick him up.

So happy with the new school now (YAY!)

Hi chngchng,

Have you withdraw from Small Wonder? I signed up my girl with Small Wonder last year during their open house and as at till date, i have not receive a single phone call from the school despite their promise to call me... I wrote to them but there are no reply until i called them today.

I am happy to see this post and very determine to look for a new center. Can you share with me the new center your kids are in now?

While my child is not in Yishun, I had put him in Small Wonder, Punggol at Blk 211A. The principal is running 2 centre, both yishun and punggol centre. And likewise there had been a case of HFMD and I face similar situation in the punggol centre. My child was even injured with cut on the face and no one notify us. We only managed to find out when fetching him. Safety wise, similar cases. now the last draw happen on 23 Dec 2014. They lost my child and was not even aware of it until someone brought him back to the centre.

Below is the email I wrote to the authorities on this matter:
==================================
Attn to:

Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) ([email protected])
Ministry of Social and Family Development ([email protected])

CC: Mr Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Social and Family Development ([email protected])

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I am writing this email to lodge a formal complaint over the serious lapse of supervision by your licensed anchor childcare centre operated by KNOWLEDGE UNIVERSE SINGAPORE PTE. LTD., located at 211A, PUNGGOL WALK, #01 - 623, SINGAPORE 821211, Centre Code: PT9066, under the brand name of Small Wonder, for which I wish that the department in charge can launch a formal investigation.

On 23 Dec 2014, I was notified by Small Wonder Formal Teacher through mobile phone at around 1230hr that my son (2Yr 2 Mth Old) was unaccounted for a period of time when the teacher brought out the kids for outdoor activities. According to the account from the teachers, the two teachers are carrying crying kids, which caused them to overlook to do proper head count while outdoor. The teachers in charge are total unware that my son was not with the group after they brought him out together. A kind parent in the vicinity of my son brought him back to the centre when the parent found him unattended and unsupervised. It is only then that the centre realised that my son was unaccounted, unsupervised.

The centre is unable to provide me with a satisfactory answer and they unable to show me the CCTV recording to show the actual time that my son was brought back to the centre. Hence the period of time that my son is unaccounted for is not backed by evidences. Furthermore, they are not willing to reveal the name of the parent whom brought back my son back to the centre for us to understand the situation better. It appears that the teachers are not well trained in handling kids outdoor even when the centre claimed that the teacher/child ratio is sufficient.

The incompetence of the centre to ensure the safety of the children under their care is a cause for alarm. This is especially so when they can have a child unaccounted and unattended and only realised it when a parent bring the child back. If someone with ill-intent is nearby, there is this possibility that the child might be kidnapped, sexually abused etc, causing long term harm to the child.

I hope that the authorities can investigate if the centre had violated any policies set out by the ministry and mete out the necessary penalties such as suspension of license for the safety of children. The ministry may want consider to implement additional measures on the teacher/child ratio for outdoor activities due to the higher risk involved.

(Attached letter from Principal acknowledging the incident without further details of events leading to incident)
erjx8i.jpg

==================================

And guess what, the officer in charge of investigation called me yesterday, saying that they had mete out the punishment but what action taken cannot be revealed to me!! She even mentioned to me that childcare places are tight in punggol. So it seems that due to demand issue, centre can afford to be lapses.

omg.. MandM.. i pity your situation and terrifying incident that you have to go through..

As any parent, not knowing a child's whereabouts is the worst. I can't imagine having myself to go through what you have experienced. :(
It's such a relief your child was lucky to bump into a kind soul. thank god!

And yes, safety has always been a worrying issue going on at the centre. I have never experienced how relaxed a childcare would be handling kids in and out movements.. Although i must say we have no enemies but still, i think anybody can go in and out of the childcare just like a click and no one would even know if the kid is fetched away by someone not authorised. I seriously hope they can improve on this. It's just not safe.

The officer in charge of investigation is from?

Janlee... Long withdrawn my kids already. Cannot stand how my kids were behaving after they attended the school and also no improvement in terms of skills. Imagine that I asked the teachers so how is my kid after these while.. whether any improvement in terms of skills and knowledge.. she said .. "hmm.. he's alright.. pretty much the same.. "
oh and yes please check with them if you ever enrol, coz i had the same problem you faced. worse, is they told me if i didnt get any phone calls means my child doesnt have a place. But weeks before his commencement date ( i indicated that on the enrolment form), the school called to ask why i didnt attend the parent orientation and whether my child is attending it next week. Can u imagine that..? ridiculous system. And if in the first place there isnt any reply from my side, shouldnt they follow up before the orientation to make sure I got the memo??

BIG SIGH.

omg.. MandM.. i pity your situation and terrifying incident that you have to go through..

As any parent, not knowing a child's whereabouts is the worst. I can't imagine having myself to go through what you have experienced. :(
It's such a relief your child was lucky to bump into a kind soul. thank god!

And yes, safety has always been a worrying issue going on at the centre. I have never experienced how relaxed a childcare would be handling kids in and out movements.. Although i must say we have no enemies but still, i think anybody can go in and out of the childcare just like a click and no one would even know if the kid is fetched away by someone not authorised. I seriously hope they can improve on this. It's just not safe.

The officer in charge of investigation is from?

Janlee... Long withdrawn my kids already. Cannot stand how my kids were behaving after they attended the school and also no improvement in terms of skills. Imagine that I asked the teachers so how is my kid after these while.. whether any improvement in terms of skills and knowledge.. she said .. "hmm.. he's alright.. pretty much the same.. "
oh and yes please check with them if you ever enrol, coz i had the same problem you faced. worse, is they told me if i didnt get any phone calls means my child doesnt have a place. But weeks before his commencement date ( i indicated that on the enrolment form), the school called to ask why i didnt attend the parent orientation and whether my child is attending it next week. Can u imagine that..? ridiculous system. And if in the first place there isnt any reply from my side, shouldnt they follow up before the orientation to make sure I got the memo??

BIG SIGH.

The officer is from ECDA.

OH my! What a horrible experience. I agree that the principal isn't as involved and I even wonder if she has a passion for her job and the children. Thanks for sharing mummy Chng Chng. I wish i have a better option for my girl and am constantly worried about her.
Anyone knows if there is any good school near Yishun Ave 11 that I can enrol mychild there?

mummies, i just enrolled my son at small wonders at sengkang. i am aware of the incidents at punggol center, but not much choice for me.... this is the nearest child care to my block.

anyway, anyone is selling preloved small wonders school uniform? for boy, size M. thank you....

Hi chngchng,

Which cc your kids are attending now?

as for yishun there is another one coming up.. school4kidz at blk 430A yishun..

Oh dear I just came across this post. I registered my boy in March for August (nx month). I called up the sch today to ask bout the orientation n they told me not so soon coz there are hfmd cases n I asked how many they told me Seven!! That's a lot for a newly open sch. Anyone sending their lo to the Sengkang one?

OH my! What a horrible experience. I agree that the principal isn't as involved and I even wonder if she has a passion for her job and the children. Thanks for sharing mummy Chng Chng. I wish i have a better option for my girl and am constantly worried about her.
Anyone knows if there is any good school near Yishun Ave 11 that I can enrol mychild there?

Hi, not sure if you mind of traveling a bit to Sembawang. There are many alternatives in that area. the flagship preschools are located at Sembawang Mart 511 Canberra Road. You can drop by and visit them.

My boy is suppose to go in nx month ang and I've called the school a few times and they told me not ready to collect the uniform yet as there are 15 cases of hfmd till date. I'm abit worried. Thought of withdrawing him from the childcare.

My boy is suppose to go in nx month ang and I've called the school a few times and they told me not ready to collect the uniform yet as there are 15 cases of hfmd till date. I'm abit worried. Thought of withdrawing him from the childcare.

Hi ultrajo,
May i ask which childcare are you referring to?

Hi JustMeee,

I'm referring to the childcare at sengkang, Anchorvale. Ur child attending the school?

Hi Ultrajo,

been awhile since last post by you, so did your child attended childcare at sengkang in the end?
Im considering enrolling my gal to playgroup coming Apr16 at serangoon north branch, anyone has any review? TIA! =)

Back