Year 2016 IVF Mummy To-Be

Huh? I was 5cm dilated when he checked. You mean he literally insert his hand and not just 2 fingers? *faintz* Heng i never see if not i will tell him i dun want to do the check...
heh, 5cm dilated then how? Straightaway admission & hooked up to epidural or he asked you to go home and monitor?

Muahahaha... i know cannot avoid dilation check but if really whole hand go in, i think he must knock me out first. Otherwise there is no way i can go through it! D pain is even worse than labour pain lor.

@towkayneo he gave me d options to admit or go home coz waterbag nvr burst and no contractions. But he did prep me that labour may start anytime and that once i experience pain or bloody show if i am at home, admit immediately. Who knows wait at home for 1 more week still no sign. So induce lor.

Ha...trust me babe...u will not want to have n of cos I hope u dun hv to have the steroid jab...

Ur bb should be very comfy inside so dun think so much ya :)

Huh really ah? U taken proluton jab before? Issit the same?

Now I'm nursing an even more painful pain than jabs or cervix check.....the god damn PILES!!! So bad that I cried last nite. went see a doc but for sure can't ops now... Can only try to make it shrink & manage the pain but I still don't dare take panadol leh...I kiasi....really pray hard it recovers soon else I cannot imagine having to deal with both csec & piles pain!

2 fingers nia...they used the knuckle to gauge laaa....wa lau, 2 fingers already like dying, another finger is like how! hahahaha...hard to siam this dilation check :( good if the doc's fingers are slimmer....

I tot dr handsome fingers consider quite slim liao? haha.....

Now I'm nursing an even more painful pain than jabs or cervix check.....the god damn PILES!!! So bad that I cried last nite. went see a doc but for sure can't ops now... Can only try to make it shrink & manage the pain but I still don't dare take panadol leh...I kiasi....really pray hard it recovers soon else I cannot imagine having to deal with both csec & piles pain!
Luckily u doing C sect and not normal delivery. Cos normal delivery will make the piles worse. It will get better after u unload ur babies!

Actually see doc oso cannot do much. They only give cream to apply. For me, what helps is not using tissue/toilet paper when big/small business. Wash with water instead. And when sitting on toilet bowl, please sit with the legs closed (or the thighs close to each other) so that you do not "stretch" the piles at the ass (sorry tmi). No need panadol as the piles will gone after 3-4 days, but it will come back whenever the stools are hard and i need to "squeeze". Avoiding bending down and when you sit, sit in an angle such that the ass is not touching the chair/sofa directly.

I tot dr handsome fingers consider quite slim liao? haha.....

His fingers where got slim? Typical men's fingers and he go gym wan le. If carry weight, fingers will never be slim.

Luckily u doing C sect and not normal delivery. Cos normal delivery will make the piles worse. It will get better after u unload ur babies!

My piles went away just before i delivered via normal delivery and it din seem to worsen it le. So i guess must make sure no piles when delivering.

I hope so too but I think going for piles ops is inevitable coz I already had it for a long time. Just that during preg it gets worst...not optimistic that I can push it back. Anyway my doc told me even if ops must wait for my body to reset & recover first. Will see him again after delivery then decide from there.

Actually see doc oso cannot do much. They only give cream to apply. For me, what helps is not using tissue/toilet paper when big/small business. Wash with water instead. And when sitting on toilet bowl, please sit with the legs closed (or the thighs close to each other) so that you do not "stretch" the piles at the ass (sorry tmi). No need panadol as the piles will gone after 3-4 days, but it will come back whenever the stools are hard and i need to "squeeze". Avoiding bending down and when you sit, sit in an angle such that the ass is not touching the chair/sofa directly.

His fingers where got slim? Typical men's fingers and he go gym wan le. If carry weight, fingers will never be slim.

Ya see doc give cream, stool softener & med to reduce the swelling but it takes time also...not like overnight that's why I feel so miserable. I still thought I can happily enjoy at least the last 2 weeks of the pregnancy despite the sleepless nights but here I am in agony over the constant nagging pain in the arse!

But if I close my legs my shit cannot come out smoothly....think coz of the angle/pressure my babies pressing on. But I did use water to wash today liao. Coz my piles is huge, hard & right smack at the rectum, it's hard to find sitting position leh. Even sleeping on my right I feel the weight pressing down on the piles. That's how bad it is....*sobz*

Huh I wonder how does dr handsome find time to go gym??

I hope so too but I think going for piles ops is inevitable coz I already had it for a long time. Just that during preg it gets worst...not optimistic that I can push it back. Anyway my doc told me even if ops must wait for my body to reset & recover first. Will see him again after delivery then decide from there.

I had the piles ops (at KTP hospital ) 8 years ago....my plies is so big n bad tt everytime the blood will flow like having period n pain.....can't do the staples or tied method ...n the pain of the ops compare to c-sec is almost equal lor....

Cos u need to do ur big business despite having a cut...n to soothe the swollen/pain they give u a bedpan n asked u to put warm salt water n soak in it x3 every day...

Pregnancy make piles my good frd again..But if not serious...no way I gg thro ops for piles again. ..

I had the piles ops (at KTP hospital ) 8 years ago....my plies is so big n bad tt everytime the blood will flow like having period n pain.....can't do the staples or tied method ...n the pain of the ops compare to c-sec is almost equal lor....

Cos u need to do ur big business despite having a cut...n to soothe the swollen/pain they give u a bedpan n asked u to put warm salt water n soak in it x3 every day...

Pregnancy make piles my good frd again..But if not serious...no way I gg thro ops for piles again. ..

My hubby did the tie method & it seems more suffering than ops coz my dad did the ops. Think ops is the initial days sure more suffering and he must poo before they discharge him. And like u mention, with a wound & still need to do big biz definitely painful! For tie my hubby felt discomfort like something there till it auto drops off but dunno when. Anyway for me now is cut or no cut also pain....damn sian! But your piles now can push back rite ?

Ya see doc give cream, stool softener & med to reduce the swelling but it takes time also...not like overnight that's why I feel so miserable. I still thought I can happily enjoy at least the last 2 weeks of the pregnancy despite the sleepless nights but here I am in agony over the constant nagging pain in the arse!

But if I close my legs my shit cannot come out smoothly....think coz of the angle/pressure my babies pressing on. But I did use water to wash today liao. Coz my piles is huge, hard & right smack at the rectum, it's hard to find sitting position leh. Even sleeping on my right I feel the weight pressing down on the piles. That's how bad it is....*sobz*

Huh I wonder how does dr handsome find time to go gym??

Mine was right smack at the rectum too and it will bleed whenever i shit. And it really scared the shit out of me coz duno where the blood came from i.e. piles or spotting. My shitting position was awkward too, as in i have to shift the angle such that the poop could not come out naturally. But try washing the butt with water, if possible, instead of using paper. With minimal contact to the piles, there will be less abrasion and will go off soon.

He goes to the gym at night wan so i guess it's when people is preparing to sleep, around 9plus?

My hubby did the tie method & it seems more suffering than ops coz my dad did the ops. Think ops is the initial days sure more suffering and he must poo before they discharge him. And like u mention, with a wound & still need to do big biz definitely painful! For tie my hubby felt discomfort like something there till it auto drops off but dunno when. Anyway for me now is cut or no cut also pain....damn sian! But your piles now can push back rite ?

I can so understand how u feel now ant piles...irritating lor the piles...

My piles never reoccurred until pregnancy n is painful (I hv several small piles ) whenever I poo n wiped with toilet paper always make me hv a second look...cos like what shiro_ger mentioned hv blood down there always scary ( dun one from v area or poo area)...

N yes the piles can push back but magically once I give birth d piles like disappear over night (still there la but not swollen anymore)

Mine was right smack at the rectum too and it will bleed whenever i shit. And it really scared the shit out of me coz duno where the blood came from i.e. piles or spotting. My shitting position was awkward too, as in i have to shift the angle such that the poop could not come out naturally. But try washing the butt with water, if possible, instead of using paper. With minimal contact to the piles, there will be less abrasion and will go off soon.

He goes to the gym at night wan so i guess it's when people is preparing to sleep, around 9plus?

Yup yup ok! Good thing is I'm resting at hm le so easier to wash butt! Haha....but ah touching the piles is a biatch! Really need to wash with some skills.

I agree with @hi_mei !! Got time go Koon Liao lor....still gym!! Zzzz....

That day my mum went with me for apt. She also say he's very charming hahaha....and looks young. Then I told dr handsome then he say looks young but inside all spoil Liao! Haha...but my mum say he very poor thing...coz while I was doing ctg she saw him shuttling between the clinic & to ivf centre. And she was saying his hunch back is quite bad....occupational hazard

I can so understand how u feel now ant piles...irritating lor the piles...

My piles never reoccurred until pregnancy n is painful (I hv several small piles ) whenever I poo n wiped with toilet paper always make me hv a second look...cos like what shiro_ger mentioned hv blood down there always scary ( dun one from v area or poo area)...

N yes the piles can push back but magically once I give birth d piles like disappear over night (still there la but not swollen anymore)

Huh then how u managed to tong with the painful piles during pregnancy then?

Huh then how u managed to tong with the painful piles during pregnancy then?

I told Dr THH lor den as usual he said oh is normal...ha..den wanted give me medi for it but I declined la...

Mine is a few n small think compared to yours perhaps pain factor still can tahan abit but I will used warm water to wash my poo area to soothe the pain n also I gently wiped with wet wipes after big business ...

My piles got so bad after delivery i thought what the heck gotta live with it???!
But magically 2 wks later they shrunk hehe :D so take heart, mb urs will disappear after delivery too!

Yup yup ok! Good thing is I'm resting at hm le so easier to wash butt! Haha....but ah touching the piles is a biatch! Really need to wash with some skills.

I agree with @hi_mei !! Got time go Koon Liao lor....still gym!! Zzzz....

That day my mum went with me for apt. She also say he's very charming hahaha....and looks young. Then I told dr handsome then he say looks young but inside all spoil Liao! Haha...but my mum say he very poor thing...coz while I was doing ctg she saw him shuttling between the clinic & to ivf centre. And she was saying his hunch back is quite bad....occupational hazard
Actually doctors got v unhealthy lives cos of their work... My doctor friends very ke lian. Hardly get to eat and sleep...

Hi hi all mummy......

Any idea how long does it take BM supply to increase? Been expressing regularly n latching only for LO comfort but the BM supply keep on hovering between 40-60ml supply....LO is drinking 90-100 ml(day) & 60m (middle of nite)...

I find it frustration tt my supply cannot meet his demand (been combining 2 1/2express to make 1 feed) ...some ladies here mentioned should latch him more to increase n drink papaya fish soup...but dun seems to work for me...

Should I ask dr to give me medi (domperidone) to help increase BM? Although I not sure it help..:(

Hi hi all mummy......

Any idea how long does it take BM supply to increase? Been expressing regularly n latching only for LO comfort but the BM supply keep on hovering between 40-60ml supply....LO is drinking 90-100 ml(day) & 60m (middle of nite)...

I find it frustration tt my supply cannot meet his demand (been combining 2 1/2express to make 1 feed) ...some ladies here mentioned should latch him more to increase n drink papaya fish soup...but dun seems to work for me...

Should I ask dr to give me medi (domperidone) to help increase BM? Although I not sure it help..:(
Hi i reached 90-100ml only at 3rd mth and by then my #1 already drinking 200ml... But by abt 5th month the milk intake drops and that's when i finally found it possible to total bf... But that's just me. I am not very hardworking.

The best way to increase milk supply is to direct latch. I have personally seen the milk supply go up pretty fast when my #1 sporadically latches. If not latching, u can try power pump or milk boosters (btw u need to keep trying different ones to see which ones work for u). Papaya fish soup also didn't work for me at first... Only like after 5th month then suddenly it has effect...

Actually doctors got v unhealthy lives cos of their work... My doctor friends very ke lian. Hardly get to eat and sleep...

I agree... doctors dun seem to have a life of theor own, really pity them. For THH, at least now he can afford to find time to exercise. Better than nothing. If i were him, got time i sure snooze coz duno when will be called back for delivery.

@mei, what you working as ah? You have so many friends from healthcare. Pharmacist?

I agree... doctors dun seem to have a life of theor own, really pity them. For THH, at least now he can afford to find time to exercise. Better than nothing. If i were him, got time i sure snooze coz duno when will be called back for delivery.

@mei, what you working as ah? You have so many friends from healthcare. Pharmacist?
I work in science field :)

Hi hi all mummy......

Tsum, it takes a lot of perserverance le. I delivered 4 mths ago n now my daily supply is only 200+mil (Vs boy's appetite of 150ml per feed). Tried all different methods , still not much help. I have given up trying to increase supply, so now i just feed whatever i have then supplement with FM. BF hor, cannot be rush wan. May take abit of time for some.

I haven gone to take domperidone from doc but he would only golive max 2 weeks cox its a type of medication. Have u tried fenugreek?

.. Can only try to make it shrink & manage the pain but I still don't dare take panadol leh...I kiasi....really pray hard it recovers soon else I cannot imagine having to deal with both csec & piles pain!
That's double whammy! The lower half of your body is like in pain!

Tsum, it takes a lot of perserverance le. I delivered 4 mths ago n now my daily supply is only 200+mil (Vs boy's appetite of 150ml per feed). Tried all different methods , still not much help. I have given up trying to increase supply, so now i just feed whatever i have then supplement with FM. BF hor, cannot be rush wan. May take abit of time for some.

I haven gone to take domperidone from doc but he would only golive max 2 weeks cox its a type of medication. Have u tried fenugreek?

I see...n yah it is so difficult trying to up the supply but i will continue to press on ...my MIL keep pressing say feed BM good (her reason is cost save $,no need buy FM...duhz) ...my reason is different from her although, just want bb to get as much good nutrient ...

I wanted to try fenugreek but I read too much may cos bb hv a lot of "wind" in tummy...hv u try n if yes does it work for u?

N btw may I know how heavy is ur LO now?I know each bb is different but i trying to hv a agar weight gain log by per month so I roughly know is LO on the right track a not as he is below percentile currently...

Thanks in advance for ur answer :)

You can, but the side of the coin is that you may have excess supply and if you don't clear them fast enough, you will get mastitis

I read about mastitis..scary ...as 1 of my gf got it n so badly need do key hole surgery to remove the clots...she tried gg gov hospital to do d surgery n they told her hv to wait couple of days...n she buey tahan liao (super painful) go pte n no queue,get to do it immediately.

she did mention d surgery is even more painfully den doing c-sec n I aren't gg find out...

Last edited:
Hi hi all mummy......

My boy is 14+ weeks now. I was able to only produce enough to feed him at week 5/6. He was drinking about 80-90 ml every 3 hours then. At one stage due to growth spurt, he was drinking every 2 hours, so supply wasn't able to match demand. I was struggling initially and was rather depressed. To make things worse, my boy wasn't latching well. He fell asleep easily during latching n was always hungry after that. It helped when I decided to just let it be and supplement with FM. I also decided to pump exclusively n stop latching. I also had to combine milk from two pumps for one feed.

I tried fenugreek for 2 days. Then I stopped cos I was worried abt it causing wind in the baby. It did help to increase the supply a little. But also be very careful abt it as it might cause u to be engorged easily. Same goes for the medicine.

For me, I was producing more only after confinement cos I was drinking more fluid and eating more carbo. Maybe also becos the mood picked up. It differs person to person. Now I'm able to get abt 300ml every 6 hours. My boy is drinking abt 100 - 130 ml every 3 hours. His intake also decreased slightly in the later part of month 2 as the no of feed decreased. (Esp after vaccination and being able to sleep longer hours at night)

If u r pumping, try to hand express to clear each breast at the end of the pump. I feel that it helps to get more milk out and also tells ur body to produce more.

It'll pick up gradually. Don't be discouraged. Even if it doesn't match bb's demand, we just try our best to feed as much BM as we can. Jiayou!

My boy weighed 3.9kg (97th percentile) at birth, was 4.9kg (90th percentile) at week 5 and 7kg at week 10 (90th percentile).

I see...n yah it is so difficult trying to up the supply but i will continue to press on ...my MIL keep pressing say feed BM good (her reason is cost save $,no need buy FM...duhz) ...my reason is different from her although, just want bb to get as much good nutrient ...

I wanted to try fenugreek but I read too much may cos bb hv a lot of "wind" in tummy...hv u try n if yes does it work for u?

N btw may I know how heavy is ur LO now?I know each bb is different but i trying to hv a agar weight gain log by per month so I roughly know is LO on the right track a not as he is below percentile currently...

Just nod at her comments but dun take it to heart. Personally, i think while we try to give as much BM as possible, we should not be overly-obsessed with the idea of feeding baby with BM every single feed. Who don't know BM is the best, but every individual has their own obstacle to overcome. Sometimes, have to be patient and also accept whatever our body can produce. Not everyone has a huge surplus of supply. I have a friend who could not even express 1 drop of BM after delivery. She gave up after 3 months of trying to express.

Yes i tried fenugreek and its at the max dosage of 9 per day. Initially i was only able to express 150ml for the entire day. After 3 weeks of fenugreek, it went up to 200+ or 300ml per day. It's not a lot, but at least still enough for a feed lor. Better than nothing and dun even feel any engorgement. And i will usually accumulate for 1 week and feed baby full day BM during the weekend. My baby has a lot of wind since he is born, so i am not sure if Fenugreek adds to it. But domperidone also result in wind and it may not necessary works. If you are worried about wind in baby, try the cycling method on baby whenever you are free. It helps to expel the wind. My baby is like passing lotsa gas the whole day. But at least he is not cranky and doesn't have colic.

My #2's birth weight was 3.2kg. At 2 month, he was about 6 kg (think about 75-percentile). At 4 months now, he is at 8.4 kg (more than 90th percentile). A giant , i must say and he is much bigger than his elder brother who wasn't small to start with (only that my #1 was born premature). I hope his weight will not go out of the chart man! You can use the health booklet as a reference though it may not be representative of your baby's weight gain trend. It should be good enough as a gauge.

my reason is different from her although, just want bb to get as much good nutrient ...

1) You should try fenugreek, or the herbal tea (which also contains fenugreek and other herbals - made in USA). Fenugreek helped my wife with increased BM, but not the herbal tea. However, she did not produce as much as her friend whom did not even consume fenugreek, yet was able to pump 200ml+ everytime till too much milk frozen in freezer. Drink more soupy food, whatever soup of your choice. We also gave half BM half FM to our son, since my wife's BM was not enough. When he was still in hospital after birth, the nurse in nursery even said that he was the fastest milk drinker. Just born already consumed 40ml in 5mins and hungry again in 2hrs.

2) You should also take supplements/Chinese herbals (whichever you prefer) to increase nutrients.

3) My son was born 3.805kg, at 1mo he was 5kg+. Not as good as my bro last time that he was born only 2.8kg, but was 6kg+ after one month, cos my mom gave him Chinese herbal stuff. As long as your child is growing, active and responsive, really don't think too much into it.

I have not tried fenugreek cos scared side effects. My #1 alr had wind problem and i dun wanna make it worse..

As for weight gain, u can use the health booklet weight chart as a rough gauge, but don't be too worried abt weight. Some of my friends have very light babies (5th, 10th percentile etc) but on the bright side they learn motor skills like crawling and walking v fast. And they are intelligent too :)

Don't worry too much about milk supply... Just feed whatever BM u can. If u need tips u can join breastfeeding mothers fb group but u better read their posts with open mind... Some of them I feel really over advocate bf and pressurise new moms too much.

hi IVF mummies,
anyone of you bought insurance before your baby is born?
is it true for IVF cases only AIA insures?
please let me know.... thanks

hi IVF mummies,
anyone of you bought insurance before your baby is born?
is it true for IVF cases only AIA insures?
please let me know.... thanks

I just bought the maternity insurance. Only 2 insurance companies provide cover for pregnancies conceived via IVF - AXA and AIA. The premium will cost more for IVF pregnancies though. I got mine from AXA.

I just bought the maternity insurance. Only 2 insurance companies provide cover for pregnancies conceived via IVF - AXA and AIA. The premium will cost more for IVF pregnancies though. I got mine from AXA.
What are the benefits other than payout for pregnancy complications and congenital illnesses? I checked some insurance and find the payout is low and seems policy will end once payout?

Hi skyangel,
thanks for the reply! Did you make any comparison between AIA and AXA before deciding? Can share with me what made you decide on AXA?
Thank you!

What are the benefits other than payout for pregnancy complications and congenital illnesses? I checked some insurance and find the payout is low and seems policy will end once payout?

you can also auto transfer the policy to your child after delivery without further underwriting. this ensures that your child confirm can have an insurance policy regardless of any complications/existing medical condition if your child have any. to me i think this may be the key benefit besides just insuring for complications during pregnancy.

Hi IVF mummies,
Another question... Do all of you manage to get a package with your preferred private gynae even after knowing you conceived via IVF?
Reason being, I really wanted to go for Dr HK Ho of Mt A after raving recommendations by two friends but his clinic informed me that because I'm IVF case I will not be offered package at all, will be charged per consultation visit each time. Did some thinking and realized this is going to be very expensive for me, no? Or should I just plan one consultation visit with him and see if I am even comfortable with Dr Ho first?
I have another recommendation to go for Dr Kenneth Lee at Mt A, and was told his charges are reasonable and I will still be offered package although IVF case.
Any advice for me here? Should I visit both gynae once and see how from there?
Yes as you can see, I have a clear preference for Mt A and wish to have my delivery done there.
Im currently 7 weeks along...
Thank you all in advance!

Hi skyangel,
thanks for the reply! Did you make any comparison between AIA and AXA before deciding? Can share with me what made you decide on AXA?
Thank you!

I went straight to AXA (or rather, went to their booth during the last baby fair). The agent serving me showed me comparisons between the 2 insurance companies offering maternity insurance for IVF cases. For AXA, they cover more maternal and congenital complications (1 or 2 more actually) than AIA, and they offer coverage for child up to 6 years whereas the other companies including Prudential and GE only provide coverage up to 3 years. Comes in handy if child is ever hospitalized for HFMD as the child is more susceptible to getting it when starting childcare.

AXA's plan has 2 parts - the insurance coverage and a investment-linked plan for savings, for which you can transfer the latter to your child after delivery without further underwriting (provided the sum assured is not more than $200k). The two are linked, i.e. you can't get just the insurance coverage alone.

I have the product summary, I can email the copy to whoever's interested for your information.

Hi skyangel, I am a silent reader who just happen to see there is this thread and would like to join all of u. I am 8 wks with twins and there are so many questions and queries to ask about. My dr is Dr THH. I am also looking at the maternity insurance from AXA & AIA. Must we give any proof that we are 13 or 16 wks pregnant before we can purchase the insurance?

Hi bubbleblue1, you can approach the agent before the stipulated weeks, to get the paperwork done. My agent submitted the paperwork for application at the point I reach 16 weeks. The earlier the submission (that is at the minimum required weeks of pregnancy) is done the better, as you'll be covered in the event of any complication diagnosed after your coverage starts, compared to getting the complication excluded if you get the insurance after it's found out. If I remember correctly though, you have to get the first trimester screening done first - my agent asked and took photos of the screening report.

Hi skyangel, I am a silent reader who just happen to see there is this thread and would like to join all of u. I am 8 wks with twins and there are so many questions and queries to ask about. My dr is Dr THH. I am also looking at the maternity insurance from AXA & AIA. Must we give any proof that we are 13 or 16 wks pregnant before we can purchase the insurance?

They will want to see your harmony or Oscar blood test report. Week 16 can buy for AXA n week 18 for AIA

Hi IVF mummies,
Another question... Do all of you manage to get a package with your preferred private gynae even after knowing you conceived via IVF?
Reason being, I really wanted to go for Dr HK Ho of Mt A after raving recommendations by two friends but his clinic informed me that because I'm IVF case I will not be offered package at all, will be charged per consultation visit each time. Did some thinking and realized this is going to be very expensive for me, no? Or should I just plan one consultation visit with him and see if I am even comfortable with Dr Ho first?
I have another recommendation to go for Dr Kenneth Lee at Mt A, and was told his charges are reasonable and I will still be offered package although IVF case.
Any advice for me here? Should I visit both gynae once and see how from there?
Yes as you can see, I have a clear preference for Mt A and wish to have my delivery done there.
Im currently 7 weeks along...
Thank you all in advance!

I wouldn't want to go to a gynae who discriminate against ivf patient.

Back