AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

Hi,I faced the same issues as you.when I put my child in normal childcare he doesn't seemed to fit in.at that time he was doing 3 days eip and 2 days childcare. His eip teacher who I love dearly was sharing with me that is time for my little one to move on to normal school. So we change him to a mainstream school with inclusion programme in the east side too. He gets to attend mainstream and eip at the same time.also we topped up for additional private St and Ot. The staff was nice except there were changes to deployment when the teachers ended their contract.however the fees were very high and is taking a strain on our finances.last Nov a friend recommended St Gérard to us.we spoke to the principal and she is really very passionate and has a calling for our special needs children. The fees is very reasonable and I just started my son there this week.since it has only been a week I can't provide much feedback to you.but a few of my son gym classmate are also there.sorry my pm is not working so you can contact me from here and I would love to share more with you
Hi.
am a new mum to this forum. I have had my son in St Gerard' s from February and i am glad I found this place. Off course I was sceptical about it in the beginning as there were some reviews that was negative . But nothing like checking it out and talking to the Principal and staff and therapists. The team is amazing and the Principal is an amazingvlady who is knowledgeabke and practical. Very diwn to earth. Very dedicated but kind with chikdren and she has a ni ninsense attitude with the staff. Teachers are very meticulius with rhe feedback rhat they provise on the child in a daily basis and very caring. I became convinced when my son started missing school and would start asking me to take his unifirm early in rhe morning wanting to go to school. His inititation in wanting to seek out to his classmates when they are playing is so encouraging. The therapists are anazing and if I am not wrong. The number of chikdren are increasing . I do pick up and drop off my son and so get a chance to talk to the teachers daily and some iof the parents waiting outside. Feel very warm with them. I am happy that a place has veen found for my boy who is accepted and embraced and very touched by their gestures. I started my son on the weekly ST and OT and i see him making some gains in some areas. They send me notes on thingsvthat take placevduringvthe sessions which arevuseful to be practised at home. Hence thit that it would be useful for you guys who would need any feedback on st gerard's.

Any of the mummies little ones done iq test with kkh.

Hi Scattermum,
My son did his psychological report with KKH. For your info, the tests and questionnaire administered are as follows:
Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule Module I
Vineland II Adaptive Behavior Scales - Survey Interview Form
Parent Interview
Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new here. May I know if there's anyone doing the GAPS diet? I have been thinking to start my son (5yo) on the diet but I feel the biggest challenge is finding the ingredients and how to implement it. I have read the GAPS book but still not sure of how to go about doing it.

I have done GPS diet. What ingredients are you talking about? Are you going to do full or partial GAPS?
What are the ingredients are you talking about? Maybe u can ask me specifically on the areas u r unsure of.

I have done GPS diet. What ingredients are you talking about? Are you going to do full or partial GAPS?
What are the ingredients are you talking about? Maybe u can ask me specifically on the areas u r unsure of.

Hi Pinkamoon, thanks for your reply. Actually I have quite a number of questions and concerns. Can I pm you?

Hi,

the Lien Foundation, which advocates for the special needs community, is inviting parents of special needs children to share their views on how to make Singapore a more inclusive society.

The survey is open for 2 weeks and ends on April 14. The findings will be shared with the media in mid-2016, to hopefully spark a deeper public conversation about this issue that is important to all of us.

If you would like to contribute your views, pls visit http://bit.do/Inclusive.

Thanks!

Hi,I faced the same issues as you.when I put my child in normal childcare he doesn't seemed to fit in.at that time he was doing 3 days eip and 2 days childcare. His eip teacher who I love dearly was sharing with me that is time for my little one to move on to normal school. So we change him to a mainstream school with inclusion programme in the east side too. He gets to attend mainstream and eip at the same time.also we topped up for additional private St and Ot. The staff was nice except there were changes to deployment when the teachers ended their contract.however the fees were very high and is taking a strain on our finances.last Nov a friend recommended St Gérard to us.we spoke to the principal and she is really very passionate and has a calling for our special needs children. The fees is very reasonable and I just started my son there this week.since it has only been a week I can't provide much feedback to you.but a few of my son gym classmate are also there.sorry my pm is not working so you can contact me from here and I would love to share more with you

Hi Mummy,

How's your son's progress in St Gerard's after 3months?
My son has just been assessed to be ASD, I'm also looking for a Centre for him for early intervention as well as full day childcare as is current childcare doesn't have teachers who are SPED trained. A mummy also recommended St Gerard's to me but still wish to find out more before deciding.

Hi Mummies,

May I ask for feedback about St Gerard's School? A fellow member suggested that school but nothing much seems to be available online, so I seek your valuable experience with this school.

My Son is 3 turning 4 this year and is assessed to be ASD by his speech therapist from a Pte centre. He currently attending a mainstream childcare but Teachers aren't trained to cater for this group of children and thus he's being left on his own most of the time.

I got very upset when I read about it from their Teacher's report requested by KKH. Coz I've been constantly asking feed backs from school and each time they'll just tell me that he's improving, but all these feedback turned to be untrue based on the report they gave.

Hi ladies,

My 2 1/2 yrs suspected to have mild autisim by the KKH. The strange thing is that the Doc herself dun think that he is autisic. But it is the speech therapist who flagged out to the Doc, suspecting my boy to be autistic. But as a child, he is functioning well. No issues in mainstream childcare at all. The teachers love him. The cc even started toilet training for him. Only issues with him should be his speech. Still not hitting his language milestones. In fact, his cc teacher saying that he quite good with his motor skills (gross & fine) and good with arts and music.

We went to the Next Step Workshop. Got to q up for the ELIP centre. But I am thinking to go for a 2nd opinion.

Anyone can offer some advice?

I am facing the exact issue as you are. My 3.3 year old kid has speech delay and non verbal. He is attending mainstream childcare, teacher & kids love him and potty trained. V good with Motor skills since baby but just refused to speak.
I have tried using sign language on him which helps a lot on basic communication. Or you could actually try PECS which was what the speech therapy asks us too.

Are you waiting for queue for EPIC centre? Is this a referral from your therapist?

hi mummies, my boy turning 3 yrs old in coming Aug, but he still dun talk yet only babbles. he got a very bad temper which can try to knock his head on the ground. we try to bring him to kkh for assessment but the doc says he might be slow so not fair to assess him yet. but till now i feel signs of autism is showing specially the temper anger part. any mommies can share on the pte speech N Ot therapy? waiting list for the school for my sons is still long . so trying to find other ways to help him. thanks alot

I sent my Autistic child to TAPS Centre @ Kovan for neurofeedback after my friend recommended me with her ADHD son's success. The therapist and psychologists there are very nice, patient. They are very knowledgeable also. 3 months in, and my son starting being able to express in speech when he is upset, his meltdowns have greatly decreased (most imptly), and he has even started writing! I was really amazed. Though it is more expensive then govt hospitals, it beats being put on the long waiting list in hospitals and waiting for 3 months minimum in between therapy sessions.

I sent my Autistic child to TAPS Centre @ Kovan for neurofeedback after my friend recommended me with her ADHD son's success. The therapist and psychologists there are very nice, patient. They are very knowledgeable also. 3 months in, and my son starting being able to express in speech when he is upset, his meltdowns have greatly decreased (most imptly), and he has even started writing! I was really amazed. Though it is more expensive then govt hospitals, it beats being put on the long waiting list in hospitals and waiting for 3 months minimum in between therapy sessions.
Hi mummy.
I am not too sure if this the the same one which rodalyn was running. It is just early intervention and my mum in law had a chance to speak to a few helpers and parents when oicking her grandson up as there are some chikdren from that centre in St Gerard' s. Children with behaviural issues apparently were not really addressed and when incidents apparently happened. Parents were not notified. I cannot verify on that but if that is the centre. Which both my hubby and i have been but were not keen as it was a purely intervention centre. Anyway. Good to know that your child is blossoming nicely. You were mentioning that your child can already write. May i know what prigram are they adopting coz in this school they use handwriting without tears used in conjunction with zoo phonics. My boy is able to read simple cvc words and the readers used in school. They provide homework together with word cards and some simple related activities which are useful. The ot together with the pricipal taught me how to use the Hwt program and i have seen my child have more confidence in writing and most importantly enjoying his homework. Offcourse. Hvave to use reinforcement but certainly a lot better than befire and not so much frustrations as he used to have before starting school. I use the pre empting through pecs which the school uses and they actually did that for me and tge pricipal taught me how to use it. The class teachers use that to address behavioural concerns as one methd too. Nice to share mummy. Thks.

hi mummies, my boy turning 3 yrs old in coming Aug, but he still dun talk yet only babbles. he got a very bad temper which can try to knock his head on the ground. we try to bring him to kkh for assessment but the doc says he might be slow so not fair to assess him yet. but till now i feel signs of autism is showing specially the temper anger part. any mommies can share on the pte speech N Ot therapy? waiting list for the school for my sons is still long . so trying to find other ways to help him. thanks alot
You can check out St Gerard' s School. My childchasccertainly shown improvement in many areas . Similar feedback from some other oarents too. You can pm me should you want more information.

You can check out St Gerard' s School. My childchasccertainly shown improvement in many areas . Similar feedback from some other oarents too. You can pm me should you want more information.

You can check out St Gerard' s School. My child has ccertainly shown improvement in many areas . Similar feedback from some other oarents too. You can pm me should you want more information
Cheers.

Hi May I know what is the fee per session? Thank u

Mummies can I just check how many of you are stay at home mums or you quit the job to look after your special ones.my son is 6 years old and my baby is 6 months.endung my leave soon and supposed to go back but now really having second thoughts. Not sure if I'm able to withstand the stress or if I have enough time if u were to return full time

Hi mummy.
I am not too sure if this the the same one which rodalyn was running. It is just early intervention and my mum in law had a chance to speak to a few helpers and parents when oicking her grandson up as there are some chikdren from that centre in St Gerard' s. Children with behaviural issues apparently were not really addressed and when incidents apparently happened. Parents were not notified. I cannot verify on that but if that is the centre. Which both my hubby and i have been but were not keen as it was a purely intervention centre. Anyway. Good to know that your child is blossoming nicely. You were mentioning that your child can already write. May i know what prigram are they adopting coz in this school they use handwriting without tears used in conjunction with zoo phonics. My boy is able to read simple cvc words and the readers used in school. They provide homework together with word cards and some simple related activities which are useful. The ot together with the pricipal taught me how to use the Hwt program and i have seen my child have more confidence in writing and most importantly enjoying his homework. Offcourse. Hvave to use reinforcement but certainly a lot better than befire and not so much frustrations as he used to have before starting school. I use the pre empting through pecs which the school uses and they actually did that for me and tge pricipal taught me how to use it. The class teachers use that to address behavioural concerns as one methd too. Nice to share mummy. Thks.
Hi Mummy Serene, the centre you're referring to is run by a lady called Rodalyn? The one I go to, parents are outside at the seating area while my child goes in for therapy leh, so if incidents happen, we will be aware cuz we're just outside. As far as I know, they have many psychological services like counselling also, but most famous for their neurofeedback. My son attended their ABA for about 3 months concurrently with neurofeedback, then after 3 months we took him off ABA and just continued with neurofeedback and he is blossoming very well. Just went for an assessment with occupational psychologist and it seems he is set and can safely enter mainstream school...was so unexpected but such a pleasant news!

Hi Mummies, anyone would like to share how they cope with their child with dyspraxia. my son is turning 5 this year, he attending a mainstream child care and is on weekly OT and ST. I am a working mum and I am really feeling so tired and stress, as I have to cope with my busy work and my son. His behaviour seems getting uncontrollable. I wanted to start early intervention for him, but i am a working, no one is able to send him there. I did plan to quit my job, but will have financial problem. Anyone face the same problem and able to share. Need advice and encouragement. Thanks.

We are in Jurong West. Which private therapy centers are nearest to us? Most if not all are too far from us and it's not viable to sustain over long period of time. This is one of the main reasons why we have delayed in going private. Got frustrated with KKH when therapy intervals were once every few months.

I send my boy to NUH for the diagnosing for his autism n I have been having appointments at Jurong medical center which is under NUH. I heard KKH is too crowded so I have been referring to NUH instead.
Hope that helps.

may I know how you let the kid get used to the normal child care? cause my 5 yr yesterday just started but he will want to leave the school after 1 hr... he also does not want to sit down with the teacher. is there anyway to help him to get adapt to the school?

Hi serene87

Your child will need time to adapt to changes in environment and people. Your kid probably expects the schedule of normal child care is the same as his previous
For me, I usually preempt my child 3-6months ahead when there is a need to change environment. My child is starting P1 next year. I show him the new school and repeatedly tell him the difference between a child care and a primary school to get him prepared.
Since your child only started yesterday, give him more time to adapt to new place and teachers. If possible, slowly prolong the hours. Show the time table and let him know what are the activities after 1pm.
It is natural if your child does not want to sit with teachers since.the teachers are new to him/her. Share with the teacher what your kid likes , dislikes and unique behavior if any.

All children need time to adapt to changes. Every child is different, so just be patient and give him more time to adapt.

the thing is once he go to the class he likes to walk around and also run to other class... then my helper will need to catch him back to class then he will start screaming. after 1 hour he will take his bag and tell teacher bye... and wants my helper to bring him home. .. I see already also dunno how to helper him get adapt.

Unfamiliarity of the environment is probably making him feel anxiety.
Usually in childcare, main activities usually conduct in the first two hour, follow by prep for shower, meal. You need to entice him, like if he stays in the class for first 2 hours, he may get something he likes to do or play after class. At the same time, you must also be firm, letting him know the rules in childcare, what he can or cannot do, using words to tell his anxiety and not screaming.

Also talk to the principal and teachers how they can help and asking whether your helper can extend her stay more than 3 days. You can't do this alone. It is collaboration with the school as well to reduce his anxiety.

Be patient, and don't feel frustrated. He just needs a longer time to adapt.

Hi all I have a 22mth old girl diagnose with GDD non verbal with delay in gross n fine motor skills and suspected sensory issues and going to start eipic in a months time after the long waitlist. Am happy to finally see an active thread with parents sharing info and reviews on special needs school. At least I will know other options available if eipic don't work for her.
My girl is also in childcare as I was worried she might not cope well socially plus unable to self feed and non verbal. She took a month to be able to finally go cc without crying. Initial stage I will just firmly say bye bye to her and calmly walk away when she's screaming n crying etc. When picking her up I will ask her how is your day at school etc and tell her we will see your friends and teachers tomorrow even though she doesn't talk. Hope this will help some parents who r putting their child in cc also. Don't let your child feel insecure and let them know end of e day dad n mum will come pick u up.
Seeing a speech therapist at jmc because I'm also residing in the west but don't seems to be helping much. Even though we follow their instructions like creating opportunity for her to speak up, gesturing sign language etc. Going to start OT and PT in nuh soon also. Had a MRI scan in nuh n white matter was found but according to the neurologist nothing much can be done except stimulate her brain by talking to her singing and describing things to her in detail. She also has small head circumference growth. Less than 3% growth. Hope more parents can share info both positive or negative as a reference for all N myself. Thank you.

Unfamiliarity of the environment is probably making him feel anxiety.
Usually in childcare, main activities usually conduct in the first two hour, follow by prep for shower, meal. You need to entice him, like if he stays in the class for first 2 hours, he may get something he likes to do or play after class. At the same time, you must also be firm, letting him know the rules in childcare, what he can or cannot do, using words to tell his anxiety and not screaming.

Also talk to the principal and teachers how they can help and asking whether your helper can extend her stay more than 3 days. You can't do this alone. It is collaboration with the school as well to reduce his anxiety.

Be patient, and don't feel frustrated. He just needs a longer time to adapt.

the cc principle allow my helper to stay there. hope he Monday go scoop again can sit still.
cause he keep walking around the teacher also let him be. is my helper bring him back to class then the teacher will ask him to draw bit he dun want then will take his bag say want to go home

Hello mummies, my son now 2.5 yrs suspected to have speech delay. His motor skills, food wise and listening to instructions so far quite good but hardly talk or reply and not much eye contact. He was referred to KKH Child Development, waiting for 1st appt in Sept. Can mummies who been through KKH Speech and Language able to share with me the procedures on 1st appt and thereafter? Does therapy session start immediately? How many sessions? Frankly speaking, I feel should give him more time till 3 yrs old before sending him to KKH for evaluation. Or would it be too late?

Hello mummies, my son now 2.5 yrs suspected to have speech delay. His motor skills, food wise and listening to instructions so far quite good but hardly talk or reply and not much eye contact. He was referred to KKH Child Development, waiting for 1st appt in Sept. Can mummies who been through KKH Speech and Language able to share with me the procedures on 1st appt and thereafter? Does therapy session start immediately? How many sessions? Frankly speaking, I feel should give him more time till 3 yrs old before sending him to KKH for evaluation. Or would it be too late?

actually my son also like that... then I just wait till 3 yrs old. then I went to polyclinic to get referral letter. then kkh doctor refer him to speech therapy. session was about twice a month but must see therapy got slot anot but they will tell u see how many times a month. then when he was there for some time they confirmed that he was speech delay they help me to apply for eipic. now he in eipic for 1 years plus therapy at KKH say they can release him no need to go back cause he got eipic which help him alot. He attend eipic 4 times a week 3 hr each session. and it did help him to pick up single words.

Just need some advice. Currently my boy gas been in childcare for 2 weeks plus and starting to get used to it. But I also got a screening to be done at Kindle Garden the intergrated chilcare. If you are me would you want to change the CC or stay in the normal CC.

Kindle garden also no guarantee can enter cause must pass the screening test first.

I am staying at bishan and the CC is near my place but Kindle Garden is located at Redhill

My 5years old resume incompliance, throw food and things when she frustrates and add stamping feet. Gosh! attending intervention since 3 years old. I feel exasperated.

Hi mommies,

We should have a support whatsapp group on ASD. Information can be shared more timely. What do you think? Anybody interested I can be group admin.

I want to ask any good books to share on training dealing with high-function autism children?

Thanks.

My 5years old resume incompliance, throw food and things when she frustrates and add stamping feet. Gosh! attending intervention since 3 years old. I feel exasperated.

Hey, totally understand how u feel. Pls stay strong and be patient. Your lovely girl will come back. Pls understand even neurotypical children throw tantrums. Watch out the food intake. Are u on GFCF diet?

Back