Freezing and thawing porridge

Akyr

Hi mummies, anyone has ever freeze and thaw porridge before? Lo hasn't been drinking much from expected, 1 day total only 10-12oz . Doc said her weight gain is very low for her age right now and need to gain more weight. She only gain 100g for this month and it's considered very low when it should be 500g. For the past few weeks i've been feeding her puress and recently just started on porridge and she only takes about 2-3 spoonful of porridge per meal. I've tried to cook a small pot of porridge for her but she wouldnt be able to finish within a day so im thinking of freezing portions of it. I can't be making a few spoonful of porridge per meal. Sometimes she doesnt want it at all and i have to throw away or eat up myself. If i cooked a small pot of it and freeze it into portions that she would be able to finish do u think its ok? Also, im planning of adding some fish meat inside, which fish do i buy? Or salmon would be a good substitute too? Can i put those chicken stock cubes/vegetable stock cubes and melt in boiling water to substitute the water to cook porridge? Sorry for the long post!

I freeze porridge, usually 2-3 days portion. Cook small amount each time. For fish, get white fish, those less fatty ones. I make plain porridge and cook fish separately. I don't think it's advisable to use commercial stock cubes, the salt content is way too high for babies. You can make simple stock with vegetables or small piece of chicken. Then freeze them in ice cube trays and use when necessary. Just try to finish all frozen food within a week.

Okay. May i know how do u make ur own stock? The porridge can freeze even if not in puree form? Or do i need to run it in blender first?

For vegetable stock, use 2-3 kinds of vegetables. Boil and simmer for half hour. I usually use cabbage, carrot and small amount of onion. Then I mash the cooked vegetables, freeze and store them. The stock I strain and store separately.

For meat stock the same. Boil and simmer, eg. chicken with some vegetables. Consider blanching the meat in boiling water before cooking stock. This is to get rid of fats and impurities.

I would blend the porridge before freezing. Do all at one time save work.

You can add to porridge before feeding or use stock to cook porridge. I know many mums cook rice, vegetables and meat together to make porridge, then blend altogether. You can try that too.

Back