Year 2016 IVF Mummy To-Be

Is this the forum for new parents to share experiences on how to care for their newborns or need to join some FB group Pls? Feel very helpless sometimes as I gave birth very late so no one close to exchange tips and lend support. Thanks.

Hi u can share here or u join fb gp. Got a few 2016 mummies fb gp :)

Hi hi, can I ask if NT scan the same as Oscar in kkh? I am kinda of confuse here.

Hello, NT scan is the scan component of the Oscar screening, the other component is blood test. In KKH, they do not call it Oscar, i think they call it FTS or something like that. But basically it is pretty much the same thing.

jia you

Hello, NT scan is the scan component of the Oscar screening, the other component is blood test. In KKH, they do not call it Oscar, i think they call it FTS or something like that. But basically it is pretty much the same thing.

jia you

I see. Thanks aaa11. But what is the blood test about?

Hi. I'm in a Feb mummy FB group. If u gave birth around this period (late Jan - early March), u may want to join us in the group. Cos all the babies are about the same no. of weeks, we can learn from one another or at least check that what is happening is normal or abnormal.

Hi mummy to be... need some advise. I hv done my oscar test in kkh n the result is low risk but when i went to my private ob yesterday n i saw him my oscar result he mentioned that as my due date is pass by 35 yrs old so oscar will not be the recommended test for me. I should hv done harmony test. My question is why didnt kkh mentioned it to me? N why dr tan order the oscar test for me? Does any mummy to be here over 35 yrs old n only done oscar test?

I asked Dr Tan if I shld do the harmony test cos most of my friends who saw private gynaes were recommended to do it. I was 34 and my EDD was one month before my 35th bday. My friends who did harmony or panorama tests were all below 35. Sometimes, I think it's the gynaes' preference. Dr Tan told me to still go for the first trimester scan (which is similar to Oscar) cos it will also allow us to check the baby's development even if I want to do harmony. As for harmony, he suggested to do it only if it's necessary (if the FTS results is high risk). Dr Tan only recommends things that he feels is really necessary. Like the supplements he prescribed also v minimal compared to what my friends were given in private clinic. Same for glucose test for GD. Some gynae make all their patients go for it, for him, only if u r high risk. (although 2016 onwards, all Kkh pAtients must go for the GD test).

I remember $4000+ for 10yrs first. Then the rest will be later on. Can pay by instalment.
Now they increased the price liao, 2 years back, it was about coming to S$5K.

Actually if @Bunny33 is keen, can ask @piglet02 to refer, can have referral NTUC vouchers of $100 or $200 for both sides (if i remember correctly)
@Bunny33 , earlier on, you had wanted to donate to the Cordblood Bank, why the change of decision? Curious to know.

For fts/ oscar test in KKH, can someone share if the nt scan and blood test are done on same day? Usually which week? Which one is tested first?

What is the price now at KKH?

Now they increased the price liao, 2 years back, it was about coming to S$5K.

Actually if @Bunny33 is keen, can ask @piglet02 to refer, can have referral NTUC vouchers of $100 or $200 for both sides (if i remember correctly)
@Bunny33 , earlier on, you had wanted to donate to the Cordblood Bank, why the change of decision? Curious to know.

Twins they don't accept donation for fear of cross contamination.

U can try enquire to confirm. That's what the girl told me. Actually I don't understand what cross contamination

For fts/ oscar test in KKH, can someone share if the nt scan and blood test are done on same day? Usually which week? Which one is tested first?

What is the price now at KKH?
Blood test is done first followed by NT scan. My NT scan is done on 13-14th week.

Price I forgot.

U can try enquire to confirm. That's what the girl told me. Actually I don't understand what cross contamination
. Why is a twin pregnancy not suitable for cord blood donation?
The Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) is not able to accept a cord blood donation from a donor with twin or multiple pregnancies as it is considered a high-risk pregnancy. SCBB advocates that the safety of the mother and baby is/are of utmost importance. Further, there could be a possibility of mixing or confusing the tissue types of the two umbilical cords. As the tissue types are used to match a cord blood unit (CBU) to a patient, any potential mix-up in the tissue types would not be favorable for the immune-compromised patient receiving the cord blood unit to survive.

Source: http://www.scbb.com.sg/donate/faq/Pages/Home.aspx#five

. Why is a twin pregnancy not suitable for cord blood donation?
The Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) is not able to accept a cord blood donation from a donor with twin or multiple pregnancies as it is considered a high-risk pregnancy. SCBB advocates that the safety of the mother and baby is/are of utmost importance. Further, there could be a possibility of mixing or confusing the tissue types of the two umbilical cords. As the tissue types are used to match a cord blood unit (CBU) to a patient, any potential mix-up in the tissue types would not be favorable for the immune-compromised patient receiving the cord blood unit to survive.

Source: http://www.scbb.com.sg/donate/faq/Pages/Home.aspx#five

So can't donate. Must pay money to bank in :-(

better check carefully first before you throw money in. If SCBB has this prob of cross contamination, just afraid that the private banks also facing this issue, just that they don't say.

Those sales person also luan luan xian one, sometimes. Everything also can, when things happened, everything also cannot.

When I saw an ah lian knocking into my ward to collect the cord blood, I ji tao peng. Don't know whether she put the whole box under direct sunlight in her car or how long she reached the plant.

I am still deciding whether to go for SCBB or private. Even if I head to private, it definitely won't be Cordlife.

better check carefully first before you throw money in. If SCBB has this prob of cross contamination, just afraid that the private banks also facing this issue, just that they don't say.

Those sales person also luan luan xian one, sometimes. Everything also can, when things happened, everything also cannot.

When I saw an ah lian knocking into my ward to collect the cord blood, I ji tao peng. Don't know whether she put the whole box under direct sunlight in her car or how long she reached the plant.

I am still deciding whether to go for SCBB or private. Even if I head to private, it definitely won't be Cordlife.

Hi towkayneo,

Why not cordlife? Do u hv bad experience with them?

Hi towkayneo,

Why not cordlife? Do u hv bad experience with them?
Ummm, i have stated my bad experience with them as above. In the end, the collected cord blood was contaminated and couldn't be used, but I still have to pay close to S$1K of admin and processing fee. When my hubs saw the ah lian who came to collect the box, he asked if he was able to drive down to the yishun plant to hand the box directly, but was given excuses like security blah blah.
Initially, we followed what our friends did, to deposit the cord blood cos it's "life insurance" with minimal knowledge and the sales person who attended to us painted quite a beautiful pix, so perhaps, all in all, I am not comfortable with them.

Ummm, i have stated my bad experience with them as above. In the end, the collected cord blood was contaminated and couldn't be used, but I still have to pay close to S$1K of admin and processing fee. When my hubs saw the ah lian who came to collect the box, he asked if he was able to drive down to the yishun plant to hand the box directly, but was given excuses like security blah blah.
Initially, we followed what our friends did, to deposit the cord blood cos it's "life insurance" with minimal knowledge and the sales person who attended to us painted quite a beautiful pix, so perhaps, all in all, I am not comfortable with them.
Sounds horrible. I wonder if it's marketing gimmick. Thought no admin fee if contaminated or can't use. How do u know is contaminated

They called me up and said that the cord blood is contaminated and gave me an option to proceed to store or discard.

Cos I kept harping if it was logistics problem from KKH to the Yishun plant (cos cannot possibly just came to collect my box only, if the box was stored under direct sunlight or how long did the box reach Yishun plant). So when the option was given to me, I was so pek cek, I told the customer service "if it were you, will you store? throw away pls!" then she carried on with a "ok, but there is this admin and processing fee which you need to pay..." *pengs*

Other than the cord blood, I remember having to extract 3-4 vials of blood hor. Why I so pek cek is, on that very wee hours, it was an MO who came to extract my blood and I was already in labour pain. So the anesthetist had to wait for the bobo MO to extract the blood before she administered the epidural and because that MO was so slow, she went to administer epidural to somebody else first. So you tell me, pek cek not.

They called me up and said that the cord blood is contaminated and gave me an option to proceed to store or discard.

Cos I kept harping if it was logistics problem from KKH to the Yishun plant (cos cannot possibly just came to collect my box only, if the box was stored under direct sunlight or how long did the box reach Yishun plant). So when the option was given to me, I was so pek cek, I told the customer service "if it were you, will you store? throw away pls!" then she carried on with a "ok, but there is this admin and processing fee which you need to pay..." *pengs*

Other than the cord blood, I remember having to extract 3-4 vials of blood hor. Why I so pek cek is, on that very wee hours, it was an MO who came to extract my blood and I was already in labour pain. So the anesthetist had to wait for the bobo MO to extract the blood before she administered the epidural and because that MO was so slow, she went to administer epidural to somebody else first. So you tell me, pek cek not.

Wah lau eh! That's really bad experience.
If things went well, I'm considering donating it. Will decide later on

BUT, you can do more research and see what suits your needs best. This was my experience with them and perhaps, I am just sway.

That are the others - Stemcord, Cryoviva, check it out and if there are any goody bags, just grab 1st later then say :p

So cord blood was collected during delivery n placed in a box n put at our Ward? Not like someone standby there to collect the cord blood immediately?

Hi mummy to be... need some advise. I hv done my oscar test in kkh n the result is low risk but when i went to my private ob yesterday n i saw him my oscar result he mentioned that as my due date is pass by 35 yrs old so oscar will not be the recommended test for me. I should hv done harmony test. My question is why didnt kkh mentioned it to me? N why dr tan order the oscar test for me? Does any mummy to be here over 35 yrs old n only done oscar test?

I can understand how you feel because I was in the exact situation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm much older than you.
Anyway, have trust/faith in our bb and gynea.

So cord blood was collected during delivery n placed in a box n put at our Ward? Not like someone standby there to collect the cord blood immediately?
The cord blood was collected during delivery and placed in a box given to you by the sales person. (So if you must remember to bring along that box with your baby bag, if you forget, should be quite mafan) So once the cord blood is collected, you or your hubby calls the number given to you and somebody (could be a few hours later) will sashay into your ward to collect that box.

No la, I wish lor! Don't even know that delivery person is assigned to just one hospital or many hospitals.

My 3-4 vials of blood was collected at 4am. The cord blood was collected at about 8pm on the same day. The box was collected at 10+am the next day.

I can understand how you feel because I was in the exact situation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm much older than you.
Anyway, have trust/faith in our bb and gynea.
Actually from a simple question posted by one of the sisters here, I can feel the 100% trust and love most sisters here have for THH. He is quite successful in a sense that I don't really hear negative stuff about him.

dr-tan-heng-hao.png

The cord blood was collected during delivery and placed in a box given to you by the sales person. (So if you must remember to bring along that box with your baby bag, if you forget, should be quite mafan) So once the cord blood is collected, you or your hubby calls the number given to you and somebody (could be a few hours later) will sashay into your ward to collect that box.

No la, I wish lor! Don't even know that delivery person is assigned to just one hospital or many hospitals.

My 3-4 vials of blood was collected at 4am. The cord blood was collected at about 8pm on the same day. The box was collected at 10+am the next day.

Do U remember how much U pay last time. The sales told me no admin fee if can't use wor.

No I mean how much they quote U for banking in 21 yrs. Now I stress cos said got what april promo special price. Tomorrow is end april n I can't make up my mind.
Hmmm, based on pure memory ahh, but that was in 2014. They quoted me S$4K+, coming to S$5K for 21 years.

Aiya, don't worry la, gimmick, the sales person has the ability to extend for you if you on him/her.

I see. Thanks aaa11. But what is the blood test about?

Hello, they will take the result from the NT scan, combine it with your blood test result + your age and apply a special forumla to compute the risk level of your baby having down sydrome. KKH claims that their FTS is 90% accurate. Pananoma/harmony test is claim to be 99% accurate, it is bascially a special blood test whereby blood drawn from your hand will be send over to a lab in USA for analysis

fyi pls,

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Did ivf at KKH under THH. Currently in my 9th week and just seen Dr Tan for my first prenatal consultation yesterday.
However as much as I like him for trying to sound cheerful and friendly despite his tight schedule, minimizing my waiting time by slipping out for consultation in between his procedures, this is afterall my first pregnancy and I would really prefer a more detailed gynae who can spend time walking us through the journey.
So I wonder if any of you have fixed a private gynae whom you will recommend, and I would also like to know if there could be any issue for us to engage a private gynae separately since it's an ivf case?

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Did ivf at KKH under THH. Currently in my 9th week and just seen Dr Tan for my first prenatal consultation yesterday.
However as much as I like him for trying to sound cheerful and friendly despite his tight schedule, minimizing my waiting time by slipping out for consultation in between his procedures, this is afterall my first pregnancy and I would really prefer a more detailed gynae who can spend time walking us through the journey.
So I wonder if any of you have fixed a private gynae whom you will recommend, and I would also like to know if there could be any issue for us to engage a private gynae separately since it's an ivf case?
Some pte gynaes do not accept IVF cases..so you gotta check.

For my #1, his cord blood was also contaminated lor. Can't believe that there are so many cases of cross contamination. Still have to pay d 1k admin fees, super heart pain. For my #2, i donated it to the public bank.