Cost of Owning a Small Dog

sinnyy

Does anyone own a small dog like maltese, chihuahua?

what are the costs involved? Are medical expensive for dogs, what is the average rate for seeing a doctor?

Is a long term commitment.i have had a maltese for 18 years.grooming every three months is about 50 to 70 each time.daily meal you can give kibbles and chicken meat.if u wanna give good can food around 2 plus per day . visit to vet can be costly especially if they are sick. Blood test and medication cost quite a bit. Also need to get them some supplements.is a life time commitment so do consider properly.​
Again dogs are just like children we spent money on them too and there is no words to describle the satisfaction and joy of having them

scattermum, yes i can imagine the joy the dog can bring to adults and children. It is just like raising another child...
Now I am already searching for dog friendly cafes lol...so can bring her out..

is it better to get dog carrier or dog bag?

Food is not that expensive.. maybe $50 per mth each dog (i have a corgi & toy poodle), i cook fresh food and dry dog food.

Yearly vaccination $100 each dog

Frontline anti tick $20plus each month each dog

Blood test or any medical problems or infection can cause $200 to $500 each visit.

Supplements $30 for both dogs each month

Grooming $100 for both dogs every 3 mths

Dog licence $70 each dog each yr

I bring my dogs to my parents hse every morning & pick them up after work every evening. Petrol counted or not??

scattermum, yes i can imagine the joy the dog can bring to adults and children. It is just like raising another child...
Now I am already searching for dog friendly cafes lol...so can bring her out..

is it better to get dog carrier or dog bag?

The cost of owning a dog can be very cheap or extremely expensive, depending on what you feed, your lifestyle, how much you would like to include your darling pet in your daily life.

Personally, for me, majority of the cost goes to food, supplements, treats and grooming. I tend to give fresh food with herbs, human grade supplements and treats. Estimate to cost about $400 a month. Grooming wise, it cost $75 every 6 weeks for a full groom. If grooming session is within 2 weeks before CNY, the groomer will charge an additional $20.

Dog licence $70 each dog each yr

Thumbs up for not succumbing to the myths of benefits of neutering/ spaying your dogs.

I really regret neutering my boy. About 10 years after neutering him, he was suspected to be down with prostate cancer and passed on after less than 1 year. The multiple literature I read suggest that neutered dogs had an increased risk of prostate cancer. This was NEVER touched on by the vet prior to sterilization then. I will never risk my boy, should this information be presented to be before.

Anyway, I just wanna tell all pets owners, be sure to give your pets lots of tender loving care.

Thumbs up for not succumbing to the myths of benefits of neutering/ spaying your dogs.

I really regret neutering my boy. About 10 years after neutering him, he was suspected to be down with prostate cancer and passed on after less than 1 year. The multiple literature I read suggest that neutered dogs had an increased risk of prostate cancer. This was NEVER touched on by the vet prior to sterilization then. I will never risk my boy, should this information be presented to be before.

Anyway, I just wanna tell all pets owners, be sure to give your pets lots of tender loving care.

even though my corgi is not sterilised, she has breast cancer diagnose at the age of 10 which is last year. regardless you decide to sterilise your dog or not, there is still a chance that your dog will have cancer. the vet told me that if she is sterilised, the chance will be lower but that's doesn't mean no chance of getting it, just lesser possibility. she is still doing fine, the supplements she is taking really boost her energy level. now it's all in the god's hand how long she can live.

Any healthy dog can be well taken care of with S$200 per month max. A dog is a lifetime companion. It is man's best friend for a reason. You should read up more on dog ownership and join SPCA.

Since you are not sure, volunteer at SPCA for example to get to know how to bath and do basic grooming.

Avoid puppy mills and try to adopt a dog.

even though my corgi is not sterilised, she has breast cancer diagnose at the age of 10 which is last year. regardless you decide to sterilise your dog or not, there is still a chance that your dog will have cancer. the vet told me that if she is sterilised, the chance will be lower but that's doesn't mean no chance of getting it, just lesser possibility. she is still doing fine, the supplements she is taking really boost her energy level. now it's all in the god's hand how long she can live.

For unspayed female dogs, breast cancer and womb cancer are higher. The is a chance of removed and remission if found early. But spaying increases the risk of hemangiosarcoma. For neutered male dogs, it increases the risk of prostate cancer, which is a very rare form of cancer for dogs (unlike for humans, prostate cancer is common cancer can go into remission when found early and treated) and chances of remission is unlikely, even when found early.

I got special concocted supplements from a TCM practitioner (for humans) from China, but gave the supplements to my dog at a reduced dosage and it not only boost energey levels, but reduce the discomforts and symptoms with pain medications. I'll be happy to share should you need them.

Any healthy dog can be well taken care of with S$200 per month max. A dog is a lifetime companion. It is man's best friend for a reason. You should read up more on dog ownership and join SPCA.

Since you are not sure, volunteer at SPCA for example to get to know how to bath and do basic grooming.

Avoid puppy mills and try to adopt a dog.

Not only SPCA. There are many private shelters in Singapore who are in need of volunteers to clean the kennels, bathe, feed and walk the dogs. Most volunteers do it during weekends. I personally help foster abandoned dogs who are sick dogs now and volunteer to fetch and send dogs to the vets for foresters who do not have a car.

everything is quite cheap as long ur dog nv sick.
I spent few K due to my dog is sick.

U had to prepare one day ur dog will sick.. just like human.

Does anyone own a small dog like maltese, chihuahua?

what are the costs involved? Are medical expensive for dogs, what is the average rate for seeing a doctor?

My dog is a local Pom from the dog farm. I had purchase him at $1200 and comes with a dog carrier (plastic) and cage. That was 5yrs ago. My friend wanted to get a Pom and I recommended her to the same farm. He is now selling at $3500 and his Pom doesn’t look good. Tall and skinny legs looks like chihuahua mix but anyways I love my dog so dearly.

Monthly cost is pretty high he goes for full grooming every month $85 / basic grooming $35
Dye his tail $25 / dog spa $35
Food and supplement is $120 monthly
Angel eyes $85 for his tears
Dog bag $160 used for 5years good investment (sleepypod)
Toys and clothing $500 or more for the past 5yrs
Vet is about $120 each visit
Emergency visit to vet $350
Sterilization for male dog was $600
Not forgetting Ava dog license!

Small dogs are definitely not as expensive as children.

Monthly costs:
Food and treats: $100-$150
Grooming: Free cos I do it at home myself
Shampoo: Only bathe once a week so one bottle lasts for a long long time, like $20 half a year?
Medicine: Most expensive is if they fall ill. Recently brought my dog for teeth cleaning which amounted to $300.
AVA licence: $15

Getting my dog must be one of the best decisions I made in my life. She is like a child to me and I love her to bits.

costs is not the main concern, the time and effort of cleaning up the mess. If you are a clean freak, dun have a dog. My dog is shedding a lot of fur, and I have to clean the house everyday.

The cost of owning a dog can be very cheap or extremely expensive,

Personally, for me, majority of the cost goes to food, supplements, treats and grooming. I tend to give fresh food with herbs, human grade supplements and treats. Estimate to cost about $400 a month. Grooming wise, it cost $75 every 6 weeks for a full groom. If grooming session is within 2 weeks before CNY, the groomer will charge an additional $20.
what about dog treats in Singapore?
I am budgetting $50 per month for dog treats.

I think we do need a car right before owning a dog? May i know how to bring dog to vet, etc if we don't have car? Thanks
most taxis are okay, even muslim uncles some of them will accept, but please do ask in advance, as some muslim taxi uncles cannot as they are more strict.
i always taxi around as i do not have a car too

grab? i put my dog in the carrier.. now a day i use grab.
if hire on the street, some taxi will drive past u even ur dog @ carrier...

I think we do need a car right before owning a dog? May i know how to bring dog to vet, etc if we don't have car? Thanks

ya effort is a must. but i think costs is also main concern when the dog getting old.
some people dont even had money to visit vet.
Now a day, vet bill seen to be increase alot.

costs is not the main concern, the time and effort of cleaning up the mess. If you are a clean freak, dun have a dog. My dog is shedding a lot of fur, and I have to clean the house everyday.

Back