Advice needed on divorce/separation/child custody

Rabbitz ..if u want maintenance WITHOUT DIVORCE ... Yes u can ..bring ur marriage cert n pay $5 @family court n 2 wk later, a mediation will be scheduled ...bear in mind,it's not going to be nice after that cos yr hubby will hate u n most usually leads to separation n divorce..so if u r determine..yes, u can but prepared to swing in a good punch to get the amount u need for youself n your kids ... Oh by the way, court, under court 'regulation', if you are working, you r deem "self sufficient",if you are stay Hm mum, be prepared some stupid idiot judge will ask u why u dun work..just be prepared for stupid questions ... If u want to know more, pm me ...I fought a few stupid judges myself in my own divorce n maintenance

you do not have to give up the bto flat even if divorced. if you get the custody for the kid, you can neg to change to divorcee scheme with kids as occupier. however, hle loan will have to be changed.

But he must be willing to give up his share to me. Furthermore, the whole process is most probably going to take at least a year or two. We are definitely contesting on a few issues here.

Hi all,

I'm in a similar dilemma like many of the gals here.

To cut the story short, Hubby and I have reached a point whereby there's no meaning in continuing with our marriage. We have 2 kids to the marriage, a 8 yo gal and a 5 yo boy. When i left the house in Nov 2014, i thought that the kids would be better off with him. Well, at least, they still get to live in a landed property vs myself, who has to rent a room. All i ask from him is reasonable access to the children, which he agreed.

However, he start to chu pattern when i wanted to see the kids. First of all, he insisted that it had to be a supervised visit. Though i did object to it, i still gave in, coz all i wanted was to see the kids. N Throughout this first visit, my fil followed me everywhere with the disgusted look in his eyes, as if I was a criminal and some dirty woman. I swallowed all these.

When it came to subsequent visits, he kept giving lots of excuses not to let me meet them. Even though we had agreed that every Sunday would be my day, he turned on his words n said that if i want to see the kids, i have to follow his schedule. In order to see them on sunday, i had already shuffled all my work to the other days. He's really making things difficult on me. Time and again, i swallowed my pride and went along with him.

In Mar 2015, when i requested to see the kids again, he told me that he would only consider that if i agree to his terms on our bto. I reasoned with him, explaining that they are two different matters and shouldnt be lumped together and that he has no right to deprive me of my rights as a mother. Well, of course, he ignored all these. This was when i decided to fight for my own rights. Not wanting to give in again this time, I went to my boy's school and picked him up, back to my place. I did my part to inform him upon picking my boy up. He kicked up a huge fuss and went to the police claiming that i had mental illness. IO actually dropped by my place to make sure that i was in the right state of mind. Zzzzz..

The next schooling day, he and his mum went to my boy's school wanting to snatch the boy back. The school called for police intervention. We subsequently reached an agreement whereby the kid would stay with each parent for a week. This agreement was written and signed by both myself and him. I thought that that would be the end of the nightmare. But i was so utterly wrong.

Out of goodwill, I agreed to him having the boy over for dinner (it was my boy's birthday) even though it was my week. I really did not expect that to be the last time i see my boy. He claimed that he regretted what he had written in black and white and that he will not honour it. I called the police but to no avail. They have no respect for the law at all. In fact, his mum told the police officers that this is a private property and that they have no right to enter it.

From that day (24th Apr 2015), my boy didnt go to school at all. Everyday, i would call the school to check on his attendance. Hubby ignores all my msgs. I have screenshots of him having read them and being online. This went on for about 3 weeks. I couldnt take it anymore and requested the Principal to call him as they have not explained his absence to the school at all. This was when he told the Principal that he wanted to withdraw the child. Again, i told him that i was against that idea and he acted nonchalant again. I had no choice but to send him a legal letter. Upon receipt of the letter, he cancelled my daughter's tuition classes, which i was paying for. Furthermore, he told the teacher to hide it from me. I only knew about it coz the teacher couldnt get the payment from him. What a joke.

During the June Holidays, i painstakingly called all the kindergartens nearby his house to see where my boy was. How can a boy at the tender age of 5 not attend school? What is he trying to do? In July 2015, i learnt that he was registered in one of the pcfs. I tried making a few visits there to see my boy, but he was either absent or had been picked up early. I would always inform the school prior to my visit n I even told the principal that i only want to see him during his break time, so as not to disrupt his learning. Somehow, there were too many coincidences and i always cant get to see him. Feeling fishy, i decided not to inform the school this time and he was still absent. I went down again the next day and he still wasnt in school. I requested to see his attendance as i was very worried for my child. N guess what? That idiot had not been sending him to school ever since my last 'informed' visit. From the attendance, i could see that he has not attended even one full week of school ever since he started there. He would be absent for at least a day for every week. I sent a legal letter to him again and requested the principal to call him. My gut feel was right. He had withdrawn the kid once again.

Do u gals think these actions of his are substantial proof that he is a very immature adult who does not think about the consequences his actions bring? That he is a very irresponsible father who does not see the importance of education for his kids? Under the child protection act, a child should not be deprived of education. Is this depriving the kid?

gosh your husband, is something wrong with your husband's thinking or is he having mental illness? how could he be so cruel to separate you from your son? this man, I cannot believe it...

Hi, I'm very stressed up currently. I'm actually now on separation. Child custody, care and control rights are both given to me based on mutual agreement.

Next early yr will be the time to divorce. He is suppose to pay $500/Mth of maintenance to my child and also he is allow to visit the child and also bring him out with supervision(More of me wanting to company my boy) during this separation and it's already been more than a year that nothing has been done(Visiting and paying of maintenance) . So next year is the time for the official divorce however I have a few concerns and am feeling very stressed up.

1. Can I removed the visitation rights and maintenance?

Reason: No support or visitation ever since the separation which shows no sign of care at all. My purpose to request for him to pay the maintenance is because I actually I know he will not pay and I want to use that to reject his visitation if he doesn't pay)

2. If it's the time for Divorce, can I don't file and will it be auto divorce on the 4th year? Or wait for him to be the one to file and to talk terms

3. Can we settle out of court if mutual agreement even to the remover of visitation rights?

4. In the event if he don't agree to the terms, what should I do to support my case and what are the percentage of chances?

5. Can his family fight for child custody?

Actually I have already booked an appt with my lawyer to ask all this questions however due to the cost for consultation which is extremely high and charge by per 30mins, I hope to get some answers so at least can cut some cost and save some time. As you know single mom.

TIA :)

Xiaokeai, ur ex hv the $ to engage dirty lawyer to play u n honesty speaking unless u give up ur kids n rights, its a long tough legal journey ahead n if u wanda fight, u hv to be determine n relentless... It seems ur ex want to cut u off totally .... So u hv to consider sacrifice time n $ to fight for ur kids, even visitation rights... I will help u along ...but it will take a lot emotional strength.. Best u just drop n move on,the fight may take 1yr or so...u made a lousy mistake by moving out...that's gives ur ex leeway ...whatever u ladies do, never never leave ur matrimony house or kids, it put u in total disadvantage. Feel free to PM me...am doing divorce myself also.. God bless

Contested divorce can drag from 1yr to 2yr n fees range fm $5k onwards n more$ depending what u n yrs ex contesting n if ur ex like mine gets a dirty lawyer, it's costly fight...but I handle it myself so its ok but sometimes its emotional drain ... If u go uncontested,give up everything, then its easy n fast n only $2-3k. So, it depends what u want n how determine... When I say emotional drain, it can be he gives false affidavit statement in court or false police report or get the court to adjourn n adjourn with fake excuses bababa ..a lot of things can pop up with dirty lawyers ...and you have to counter n counter ... Sometime each mention last 5mins , sometimes half hr sometimes less..depending also on that day ur case kena what crap kind of judge ... Free legal aid lawyers sometimes u get good one sometimes crappy ones n pro Bono lawyers though are good lawyers but they can't represent u. Pm me n I'll explain more

I got my interim divorce. It pending ancillary. At least another 6mths. Haiz.

Ivianarthui
Can recommend u my lawyer, she from legal aid and help single mom. Your lawyer sounds expensive.

Hi, I'm very stressed up currently. I'm actually now on separation. Child custody, care and control rights are both given to me based on mutual agreement.

Next early yr will be the time to divorce. He is suppose to pay $500/Mth of maintenance to my child and also he is allow to visit the child and also bring him out with supervision(More of me wanting to company my boy) during this separation and it's already been more than a year that nothing has been done(Visiting and paying of maintenance) . So next year is the time for the official divorce however I have a few concerns and am feeling very stressed up.

1. Can I removed the visitation rights and maintenance?

Reason: No support or visitation ever since the separation which shows no sign of care at all. My purpose to request for him to pay the maintenance is because I actually I know he will not pay and I want to use that to reject his visitation if he doesn't pay)

2. If it's the time for Divorce, can I don't file and will it be auto divorce on the 4th year? Or wait for him to be the one to file and to talk terms

3. Can we settle out of court if mutual agreement even to the remover of visitation rights?

4. In the event if he don't agree to the terms, what should I do to support my case and what are the percentage of chances?

5. Can his family fight for child custody?

Actually I have already booked an appt with my lawyer to ask all this questions however due to the cost for consultation which is extremely high and charge by per 30mins, I hope to get some answers so at least can cut some cost and save some time. As you know single mom.

TIA :)
Maintenance n access r 2 separate issues. U can't deny him access if he doesn't pay u.

If he agrees to give up visitation, there is no nd to fight. U can get everything settled during cfrc with mediating judge.

As for e maintenance, he will have to pay whatever he has not paid so far. Court will order him to.

Xiaokeai, ur ex hv the $ to engage dirty lawyer to play u n honesty speaking unless u give up ur kids n rights, its a long tough legal journey ahead n if u wanda fight, u hv to be determine n relentless... It seems ur ex want to cut u off totally .... So u hv to consider sacrifice time n $ to fight for ur kids, even visitation rights... I will help u along ...but it will take a lot emotional strength.. Best u just drop n move on,the fight may take 1yr or so...u made a lousy mistake by moving out...that's gives ur ex leeway ...whatever u ladies do, never never leave ur matrimony house or kids, it put u in total disadvantage. Feel free to PM me...am doing divorce myself also.. God bless

I could have stayed on but it would be at e expense of my 2 elder kids frm my first marriage. My boy is currently seeing counsellor n is going for psychiatric treatment for e traumatic experience in that house. Would u sacrifice all 4 kids plus Urself or save whatever u can save?

I m prepared to fight all e way. I know my case will definitely take more than a year. N I'm mentally prepared to dump in 80k to 100k.Money can earn back. But if I dun pull my kids away frm tat family, they r ruined. I'm sure their future is worth more than tat amt of $.

He can play naughty. But 2 can play at e game. He's not smart. His parents call e shots. They r e mastermind. But, I'm not stupid either. He can come up with all e gimmicks he wans. He can goad n Laff all he wans now. E process is not impt. E results are and so is the last Laff.

Hi mummies how long is contested divorce processing? How long can I get final divorce for contested
contested divorce can drags for years..... and alot of money will be wasted...

you can ask how long @gladjo has been divorcing, and i think up till now still not resolve.

Last edited:
I got my interim divorce. It pending ancillary. At least another 6mths. Haiz.

Ivianarthui
Can recommend u my lawyer, she from legal aid and help single mom. Your lawyer sounds expensive.
how come so long? mine took 3months only...

i do agree with you choosing the right lawyer is important. alot of people just choose cheapest ones. i find the most important is whether the lawyer is specialize in divorce & her/his track record.

Last edited:
I could have stayed on but it would be at e expense of my 2 elder kids frm my first marriage. My boy is currently seeing counsellor n is going for psychiatric treatment for e traumatic experience in that house. Would u sacrifice all 4 kids plus Urself or save whatever u can save?

I m prepared to fight all e way. I know my case will definitely take more than a year. N I'm mentally prepared to dump in 80k to 100k.Money can earn back. But if I dun pull my kids away frm tat family, they r ruined. I'm sure their future is worth more than tat amt of $.

He can play naughty. But 2 can play at e game. He's not smart. His parents call e shots. They r e mastermind. But, I'm not stupid either. He can come up with all e gimmicks he wans. He can goad n Laff all he wans now. E process is not impt. E results are and so is the last Laff.
for me, i definitely will save whatever i can.. i have a job, i have the capability, hence money can always earn back.

Cos my ex drag and drag on e SOP plus he change lawyer. My case will drag cos.that idiot.wanna fight.for everything. Flat.custody. waste my.$ and time
I already.had to enforce maintenance twice.

Its good u are prepare .. N if u need a good fighting lawyer, I can intro one to u..he's good n gave me a lot of tips which I handle myself till now. Saved a lot of $. :)

Hi mummies
Can someone help me please. I use to have a bank account at uob. I use that to for buying house transaction and I bought the house I close the bank it been 3 years since I close the account. Now my husband( in the process of divorce ) asking for all transactions that I have made for that house. How I should I go about it?I don't have much money left I still need to feed my two kids and we're renting a room outside. . Please help me

Hi silly cat...feel free to PM me n I teach u how to go abt ...am representing myself. No need to panic ..how old r ur kids n is he paying maintenance for u n ur kids? Feel free to pm me

Dear All,

I need your advise for my case. I am going to proceed our divorce, after 2 years back and forth consider to file it. We married on Jan 2006, and my son at P2 now. Since beginning of our marriage, my hubby control me a lot. These few years I tried to understand what he suffer from that cause his attitude towards me like that (to many rules, rude and abuse). From few symptoms of abusive character, his character match almost 75%. Since my son was a baby, everytime quarrel he keep telling that he will divorce me and not give me any single cents. Sadly, we quarrel almost every week. He will angry for small things, and the things was very ridiculous for normal thinking.

Both of us working at the same line. The house bought under my husband and my name. Instalment paid by 76% through his CPF and 24% paid by our join account. Renovation, furniture and fittings paid together (I keep all the receipts and done the reconciliation). Our contribution to join account are equal. All expenses relate to household paid by join account. My son taking care by a nanny after school. At night, I will taking care my son, also on weekend bring him to whatever place he likes or send him for tuition. The house matter (cleaning, washing, cooking, etc all are my responsibility). For our problem, we tried many way to solve it. We went to psychiatrist, which told us that my husband was perfectionist and I depress over the marriage. He advise my husband to take individual therapy, but he refuse it and said he is ok. I am the one who need the medication. Stupid me, I follow psychiatric advise to take medication or else my depression will be serious. But I stopped it because I thought source of problem not from me. We also went to family counselling for 2 years. Situation still the same. He insist tell counsellor that I have to change.

Since 2012, his violence became worst. From verbal abuse until assault. He broken one of my finger that I need to went for surgery. Hit my nose until bled, push me when he was unhappy. Normally, after the storm, he will calm down and tried to be nice again. But what make me decide to proceed divorce, because it very sad to let my son saw what his father did to me infront of his eyes. My son will step in whenever his father starting to beat me. Yes, it was really broke my heart. I promise to myself that I do not want to groom him in this situation.

I went to find a lawyer, quite good I feel. But he needs a consent letter from my husband. He did not want to give me. Then he ask me to try again. Situation still the same, I always go back to the same story. Verbal abuse and assault. Please advise me, whether I still can go ahead to proceed divorce without a consent letter from him? For son custody, I sure I will win it. But I do not know about matrimonial division. I told him, whatever he paid by his CPF, when sell the house, will pay back his CPF. And remaining have to divide by 2 since we paid it equally. But he refuse it. He only will give me 20% from the house, which I think is not fair for me. Also unreasonable as all expenses we paid equally and I am the one who taking care the house and our son. I no family at Singapore. If I can get 50:50 from remaining balance, at least I still can buy another HDB for me to stay.

He ask me to go to psychiatrist again, but I refuse. I want both of us go to Hypnotherapy. Because I really want to know what cause his attitude like that. From what I read, abusive character because of hidden pain from childhood. But he does not want to go. No choice, I have to let him go. I still have my son as my responsibility. My body cannot take his beaten anymore. If something happen to me, who going to take care my son? I will not let his family to take care him. I am sure, what cause my husband like that probably from his family teaching.

Please advise me the possibility for me to get 50:50 for matrimonial assets.

Hi Sheperd_Fri
Sorry to hear this..very sad this is happening. ..I hv pm u ... I will help u .. meanwhile, stay strong n safe ...any more abuse, call Police n make a report n pls take pic or video ...it will help tremendously ...my ex colleague was so violent that court order him Anger Management n he was so a good husband after that..no matter how my boss tikan him, he's very smiley n cool until my boss bobian. .. so stay strong n be brave.

God bless

Thanks for your reply,

I contacted care corner few times, but still confuse to apply for PPO. Care corner officer prepared me for the worst case after applied PPO, this what made me reconsider it again. I no family at Spore. Tried to rent a room, but agent interviewed me many questions, most of them told me they willing to help, but what will happen if my husband come and create problem at the house. I fed up to find a room to rent again. These few months he tried to join meditation, but still it not help him to overcome his problem.

Tomorrow going to meet lawyer again, and try to stay at our house until divorce settle. I just hide inside the room after back from office. Assault evidence, I starting to collect it in 2012 after consider to leave our marriage. I made 1 or 2 police report, but cannot find the copy anymore. Tried to asked copies from the police station I made report, they advise me to go to bedok police department. I not yet try because I do not know my report number. I have some photos and the date. Living in these situation for few years, made me forgotten every details that happened to me. When printed all photos to give to lawyer, it made me recalled how bad it was. Its very sad. I never dream to married with abuser. We start our married with good intention, what made me back and forth for few years because I still thinking who will taking care him if I leave him? My mum told me, as a parent she cannot tell me to divorce but whatever my decision, she will support me. I keep convince myself to firm with my decision to leave.

U hv evidence, go to court to apply. No need care corner or other to help u. U have to be focus n settle one thing at a time . certain things lawyer cant help u, u keep on going here will increase your cost unnecessary

Dear all,

I am in a verbally abusive relationship for 3 year plus and we have known each other for 10+ years. I had a difficult labour while delivering my 1st and only child and nearly lost my life and was in Icu for a few days. I lost so much blood after my kid's birth that it left me weak for a few years.

I have been helping my clients for their sale of houses for many years even before i got married so i was worried if it will happen to me. But the inevitable somehow just happened, i am apologetic to my kid for i am not able to give him a whole family.

Actually since my pregnancy i sensed that he treated me differently. After the difficult birth, he condemns and verbally abuses me every single day.

I love my child dearly and would want to fight for his custody however he says he will tell the judge that i am abusing my child(disciplining him when he does something unacceptable, not physical beating him)

I am torn as i want my child to have a complete home. I am afraid i may lose my child to him even though i have been reassured again and again.

I feel lost at times and i hesitate to file for the divorce whenever i think of my kid. But I thank God for making me an optimistic person so i can maintain my sanity through his accusations.

To those who are giving up, Don't be dismayed. When we look back in 10 years or years to come, we would be glad we made the decision to fight on.

Dear all,

I am in a verbally abusive relationship for 3 year plus and we have known each other for 10+ years. I had a difficult labour while delivering my 1st and only child and nearly lost my life and was in Icu for a few days. I lost so much blood after my kid's birth that it left me weak for a few years.

I have been helping my clients for their sale of houses for many years even before i got married so i was worried if it will happen to me. But the inevitable somehow just happened, i am apologetic to my kid for i am not able to give him a whole family.

Actually since my pregnancy i sensed that he treated me differently. After the difficult birth, he condemns and verbally abuses me every single day.

I love my child dearly and would want to fight for his custody however he says he will tell the judge that i am abusing my child(disciplining him when he does something unacceptable, not physical beating him)

I am torn as i want my child to have a complete home. I am afraid i may lose my child to him even though i have been reassured again and again.

I feel lost at times and i hesitate to file for the divorce whenever i think of my kid. But I thank God for making me an optimistic person so i can maintain my sanity through his accusations.

To those who are giving up, Don't be dismayed. When we look back in 10 years or years to come, we would be glad we made the decision to fight on.

Whatever your decision is, you r brave. Know dat no matter if u decide 2 stay or leave, u have 2 put up a fight 2 wat u want or believe.

Hi all, wish to check for HDB fully paid flat, once divorce- how to settle this?

This is my 2nd divorce (considering due neglected of his playing games habits) with a 8yrs old child.

Hi everyone, thinking of a divorce with my spouse for unreasonable behavior.
We have 2 children, 1 boy n 1 girl.
If we are to fight for custody for the 2 children, will the Judge normally give custody for the boy to the Father and the girl to the Mother.
Is that always the case or based on case to case basis on how the custody will be given??
Both the 2 children are below 7 year old.
Anyone know or can share your advise?

Hi All,

I am planning to file divorce with my husband and I would like recommendation on good and sincere lawyer who do not charge a hike for contested divorce procedures.

Background:

We have been living separately since May 2011, however, we did tried to be together again in mid Jun 2012 which only lasted for less than a month. We do not owned any house, but we do have a daughter, which I would like to have sole custody. (My girl has been taken care by my family and myself, all this while when we are not together.)
Relationship between us has been maintained friendly and positively with him providing monthly allowance since Jan/Feb 2012. However, he started ignoring my texts and did not pass me any cents since Dec 2015. He then later blocked my contact when I requested him to file for divorce, since he did not want to take care of any responsibilities.

I am not able to get any replies from him, for months now. Therefore, I am expecting my divorce journey to be more complicated and draggy.

I really appreciated if any of you are able to provide me with advice/recommendation on my case. Thank you in advance for your help!

would like to know if the husband purposely don't let me find him but I already apply for divorce what are the procedure ate the lawyer going to take. is very frustrating cause he change his number and even his Facebook account I got block...

Ive lost child care and control despite him not a good caregiver. My children suffers badly under him, exam results and health drop drastically.

Prior to losing, i was told he and his family engage those buddhist dang ki to help win those counselling sessions and social worker reports. I am very frustrated, i cant afford to lose next month's appeal.

Does any 1 has any good lawyer which can help in kids care and control to introduce me please? If indian lawyer will be good. Thank you lots.

Scuderlab, feel free to pm me n I'll guide u how. .I damn hate these kind of idiots with underhand ways. ... I self represent. .. u hv to follow closely with yr stupid lawyer also

Hi everyone, thinking of a divorce with my spouse for unreasonable behavior.
We have 2 children, 1 boy n 1 girl.
If we are to fight for custody for the 2 children, will the Judge normally give custody for the boy to the Father and the girl to the Mother.
Is that always the case or based on case to case basis on how the custody will be given??
Both the 2 children are below 7 year old.
Anyone know or can share your advise?

No. Court usually gives joint custody and sole care and control to the mother. It is very hard for a mother to lose custody of her child unless the mother herself has serious problem. In the event if it goes to counseling stage, just don't give up care and control and hold on to at least joint custody. The mediators always want to settle case by telling u to go for joint care and control together with joint custody. Just say no. The bare minimum outcome is joint custody with sole care and control to mother.

Maybe a bit side track, but I think wife should protect herself since Day 1 of marriage, especially for those not working one. Some assets should be put under the wife's name since Day 1. Also make sure there is sufficient insurance coverage. There is no reason why a good husband would not agree on Day 1 of marriage.

No women will know that their husband will divorce with the wife at the end. I also undergo a bad time when my ex wanna divorce with me. I only can said you need a good lawyer who really help you and not just wanna to do your business. Seek for more advice from other and not only listen to one lawyer advice.

I know how it feel cause I also undergo this process before.

Hi, I am currently going through Ancillary matters with Interim Judgement granted. My child is 9yrs old and he is fine with both parents but since an infant, I was the primary caregiver and sole breadwinner. My ex-spouse doesn't work and even throw tantrum if I am home late from work.

Now, he stayed in my matrimonial flat where I am the sole owner with him and my child as occupier and refused to move out ( I moved out to my parents house as I cannot stand living with him). I have been solely paying for the house and everything since 2009. Is there anyway I can use legal means to have moved out?

Also, I believed him when he said he wants to try to be a good father and told me my son wants to try living with him. (I shouldn't have believed but I did) and my son now lives with him since May 2016 in my matrimonial flat and I often visit and take him out. Question is, he agreed on shared care and control as I don't want to go through a painful fight in court and my child gets affected and now he changes his mind again and said he will fight in court, which I think the reason is he wants to stay in my flat and dragged it out for as long as possible! Will I lose care and control to him if we fight in court now that my son lives with him for 4 months? I'm intending to move back so I can see my son more and just have to bear the sight of this man!

Can someone share similar experience with me?

*distress and depressed*

Back