Should I return the helper to the agency?

Should I return the helper to the agency?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bluestars

Sorry for the long post but I do hope to hear some comments about what I should do.

I recently got an ex-Malaysia Indonesian maid as a fresh maid. We set off with the aim to get someone who can speak and understand English since I do not know malay. We selected an ex-Malaysia with 5 years experience and had supposedly interview her through her Indonesia mobile phone as she had left the Indonesia training centre on the day of interview.

Shortly after leaving the agency on the day of picking her up, she asked if I had an ex-helper and why the previous helper left. Back home, when I asked her to mop the living room floor after unpacking her bag, she did it faster than I could even start washing a rag.

I took it in good strive that she does not understand my expectation. I explained my expectation with some hand signs and did the job myself. I was kinda of cool about it as I felt that my mum who is good in housework and able to communicate in Bahasa Melayu will be the best person to help me coach her to my expectations.

On her third day, my mum was around and she had a shocked about the new helper's work quality. The helper completed the tasks in record time. Having known the feeling of clean floor, I could tell by feel that a sloppy job was done. I spoke to her about it and her immediate reaction was my mum complained about her.

On the fourth day, she did the housework in a new record time. Instead of being fast and sloppy like the first day, it had became slow and sloppy. My mum who was shocked at the work quality of a helper who has 5 years of work experience questioned why her ironing was badly done. She rebutted that ironing in Malaysia is done differently. -_-" During this period, she was also often asking about the job responsibilities of my previous helper. My mum had to chase her off the bed as she was sitting on our bed to do housework and had caught her taking photo albums from the cupboard to look at without asking for permission first.

We had wanted to send her back as we could all sense that she was not receptive to feedback. The last draw was when she mumbled in Bahasa Indonesia about my dad scolding her for letting the tap run to the maximum flow and not closing after use. Of course, the agency disagreed with our intention and countered that any person working at a new place also has 3 months of probation. On the other hand, we were also soft-hearted as we do understand how much each helper has to pay to get a job in Singapore.

My mum and myself had spoken to her after contacting the agency. She expressed that she likes to work for me and like my younger boy as he is funny. My mum had also told her that there is no need to ask if the ex-helper was speedy in her work, what is more important is the quality. She had since shown improvement to the work though I still spot areas where corners are attempted to be cut, e.g., she can clean one lamp but not another.

It has been 2 weeks since she has been with us. During this period, my younger son had fallen sick and had very bad appetite. Even when he is well, he can stubbornly refuse food or run away at meal time. It takes some patience to handle him at times. As he has speech delay, his ways of rejection can be very rude or stubborn. My parents had overheard a couple of occasions where she raised her voice at him when feeding him (could be in English or Malay). She will stop if my mum intervenes openly by talking to the boy. Just last evening, my dad had to sit next to them before she toned down and spoke nicely to coax the boy to eat. Unfortunately, I am always not around when such incidents happens.

There has also been occasions that she has attempted not to even try to feed the boy on the pretext that he does not want to drink milk. I have reminded that even if the food is wasted, there must be attempts to try feeding him especially since he has lost quite a bit of weight lately. For food that he had shown dislike, she should cut them to smaller pieces and offer them with food he like.

I do not deny that it takes a bit of patience to handle my younger son (my previous helper had done a terrific job in the area) but I am starting to rethink if I am risking my younger son to danger. If she can raise her voice on the child and changed her approach only when other adults are around to watch them, will she do more than just scolding if I have to leave the younger boy alone with her at home in future? I have asked if she can cope, she will say it is ok, he is still young, when he grows up, he will behave like the elder boy (contradictory to my younger boy, my elder boy is quite a chatty and curious boy who speaks well in most people's opinions).

When I am telling my boy that he has been naughty, she will also be joining in to "scold him too". For this I am not too sure how I can stop her or show my displeasure about her doing this. This practice of her just adds on to my fear that she may do more than scolding to him and the chances of me knowing will be lower since my boy does not communicate well.

Right now, I think my 2 biggest concerns are language barrier and the safety and care of my younger son. Personally while the agency believes in counselling, we think that it is a difficult to change a person's attitude and have the fear of having revengeful helper.

Separately, I feel that she may just be grabbing a job opportunity that comes along the way since she has to fund her 2 younger brothers through school (16 and 15 if I recall correctly). Thinking back, I feel that she has been dishonest with her replies during the interview.

I interviewed her in English and had my mum to counter check the facts in bahasa melayu. To find out if the helper will be bothered by long distance relationship issue, I had asked her if she had a boyfriend and if she had intention to get marry. Her answers were no that sounded shy to me and she mentioned no to my mum too. End up she came with an engagement ring on her fingers; I had to make a few attempts before I managed to get it off her finger along with another ring that she claimed was a couple ring from her ex during school time.

Due to a bad experience with helper owning phone, we requested her during the interview not to own a phone but to call home through the use of calling cards which are cheaper. She agreed but she came to Singapore with a phone that she claimed was purchased by her ex-employer and was mentioning to me how she had learnt that Singtel SIM are the most suitable SIM and she will like to buy one after her loan. As I have intended to set a harsh requirement with the intention to loosen the condition a little, I was not very sticky about the mobile phone except setting the condition that at no times will I see her skiving to use the phone or take long toilet break to use the phone.

If you are in my shoes, what will you do? I can't help but to think that my previous helper was much better. Right now, I am asking myself if I should even spend the money to get the new helper annual pass to Sentosa, USS and Gardens by the Bay. With my previous helper, I made no hesitation and got her the pass on her first visit which took place like within a week she was with me.

I used to have a ex Malaysian Indonesia maid, her working attitude is similar to yours, fast and sloppy. Anyway, she didn't pass even 1month and I sent her back to agency to get her transfer cos she cannot handle my new born.
Base on your comments on your maid, if I were u, I won't even get her a pass. She is here to work and not for holiday. If she wants to go to those places of interests she should use her own salary to go in. If her performance is really good, she should proof herself to you and earn her rewards.

Send her back. She is lying about her work experience. Most likely she was moonlighting in Malaysia. Lots of maids ran away from employers and work part-time /moonlight on their own. You don't know what she did.

What is a good way to let the maid know she has to do her job well n get reward?
My maid is ex sg from Mynmar. Work in sg for 1.5 yr, went back hm country then came sg a month ago.

She isn't that bad. Just need teach everything. Manners, cooking, proper ways of doing household chores. She needs to b instructed all the time, but will follow as far.

She only had s$15 with her. All her belongings look very old n worn off. She told us her ex employer did not give her anything when she left. And she spent a lot cos ex employer just provided the very very basic necessities. Ask her know what is bonus n she says she know. Told her we require initiative from her, can't tell her all the things to do everyday. She says ok. But still stone stone all the time. How to motivate them?

Based on my past experience, I used to have this rewarding system in place for my helper. If she did a good job, we shower her with gifts and even travelling with us. Unfortunately, I don't pay to be kind. The more you are nice to the helper, the more they take you for granted. As such, I stop showering the helper with gifts but not fierce to them of course. Just be normal. No gifts, No travelling.....etcs. and surprising they will still continue to be hardworking.

Sorry for the long post but I do hope to hear some comments about what I should do.

I recently got an ex-Malaysia Indonesian maid as a fresh maid. We set off with the aim to get someone who can speak and understand English since I do not know malay. We selected an ex-Malaysia with 5 years experience and had supposedly interview her through her Indonesia mobile phone as she had left the Indonesia training centre on the day of interview.

Shortly after leaving the agency on the day of picking her up, she asked if I had an ex-helper and why the previous helper left. Back home, when I asked her to mop the living room floor after unpacking her bag, she did it faster than I could even start washing a rag.

I took it in good strive that she does not understand my expectation. I explained my expectation with some hand signs and did the job myself. I was kinda of cool about it as I felt that my mum who is good in housework and able to communicate in Bahasa Melayu will be the best person to help me coach her to my expectations.

On her third day, my mum was around and she had a shocked about the new helper's work quality. The helper completed the tasks in record time. Having known the feeling of clean floor, I could tell by feel that a sloppy job was done. I spoke to her about it and her immediate reaction was my mum complained about her.

On the fourth day, she did the housework in a new record time. Instead of being fast and sloppy like the first day, it had became slow and sloppy. My mum who was shocked at the work quality of a helper who has 5 years of work experience questioned why her ironing was badly done. She rebutted that ironing in Malaysia is done differently. -_-" During this period, she was also often asking about the job responsibilities of my previous helper. My mum had to chase her off the bed as she was sitting on our bed to do housework and had caught her taking photo albums from the cupboard to look at without asking for permission first.

We had wanted to send her back as we could all sense that she was not receptive to feedback. The last draw was when she mumbled in Bahasa Indonesia about my dad scolding her for letting the tap run to the maximum flow and not closing after use. Of course, the agency disagreed with our intention and countered that any person working at a new place also has 3 months of probation. On the other hand, we were also soft-hearted as we do understand how much each helper has to pay to get a job in Singapore.

My mum and myself had spoken to her after contacting the agency. She expressed that she likes to work for me and like my younger boy as he is funny. My mum had also told her that there is no need to ask if the ex-helper was speedy in her work, what is more important is the quality. She had since shown improvement to the work though I still spot areas where corners are attempted to be cut, e.g., she can clean one lamp but not another.

It has been 2 weeks since she has been with us. During this period, my younger son had fallen sick and had very bad appetite. Even when he is well, he can stubbornly refuse food or run away at meal time. It takes some patience to handle him at times. As he has speech delay, his ways of rejection can be very rude or stubborn. My parents had overheard a couple of occasions where she raised her voice at him when feeding him (could be in English or Malay). She will stop if my mum intervenes openly by talking to the boy. Just last evening, my dad had to sit next to them before she toned down and spoke nicely to coax the boy to eat. Unfortunately, I am always not around when such incidents happens.

There has also been occasions that she has attempted not to even try to feed the boy on the pretext that he does not want to drink milk. I have reminded that even if the food is wasted, there must be attempts to try feeding him especially since he has lost quite a bit of weight lately. For food that he had shown dislike, she should cut them to smaller pieces and offer them with food he like.

I do not deny that it takes a bit of patience to handle my younger son (my previous helper had done a terrific job in the area) but I am starting to rethink if I am risking my younger son to danger. If she can raise her voice on the child and changed her approach only when other adults are around to watch them, will she do more than just scolding if I have to leave the younger boy alone with her at home in future? I have asked if she can cope, she will say it is ok, he is still young, when he grows up, he will behave like the elder boy (contradictory to my younger boy, my elder boy is quite a chatty and curious boy who speaks well in most people's opinions).

When I am telling my boy that he has been naughty, she will also be joining in to "scold him too". For this I am not too sure how I can stop her or show my displeasure about her doing this. This practice of her just adds on to my fear that she may do more than scolding to him and the chances of me knowing will be lower since my boy does not communicate well.

Right now, I think my 2 biggest concerns are language barrier and the safety and care of my younger son. Personally while the agency believes in counselling, we think that it is a difficult to change a person's attitude and have the fear of having revengeful helper.

Separately, I feel that she may just be grabbing a job opportunity that comes along the way since she has to fund her 2 younger brothers through school (16 and 15 if I recall correctly). Thinking back, I feel that she has been dishonest with her replies during the interview.

I interviewed her in English and had my mum to counter check the facts in bahasa melayu. To find out if the helper will be bothered by long distance relationship issue, I had asked her if she had a boyfriend and if she had intention to get marry. Her answers were no that sounded shy to me and she mentioned no to my mum too. End up she came with an engagement ring on her fingers; I had to make a few attempts before I managed to get it off her finger along with another ring that she claimed was a couple ring from her ex during school time.

Due to a bad experience with helper owning phone, we requested her during the interview not to own a phone but to call home through the use of calling cards which are cheaper. She agreed but she came to Singapore with a phone that she claimed was purchased by her ex-employer and was mentioning to me how she had learnt that Singtel SIM are the most suitable SIM and she will like to buy one after her loan. As I have intended to set a harsh requirement with the intention to loosen the condition a little, I was not very sticky about the mobile phone except setting the condition that at no times will I see her skiving to use the phone or take long toilet break to use the phone.

If you are in my shoes, what will you do? I can't help but to think that my previous helper was much better. Right now, I am asking myself if I should even spend the money to get the new helper annual pass to Sentosa, USS and Gardens by the Bay. With my previous helper, I made no hesitation and got her the pass on her first visit which took place like within a week she was with me.
If you don't find her trustworthy then send her back. Seems like she is capable of making excuses which is the worst. You can't teach attitude so don't waste time, that's my opinion.

Agree with grace, from day 1 she know how to make excuse about phone, engagement ring. And you not set the strict border with her. No phone means no phone, and her reason doesnt make sense to me. Can see what will happen in the 3 months, your agent know about this ?

I will send her back to the agency with such working attitude and will not want to risk a small boy in her care.

I just employed a ex-SG Myanmar helper. She came with NO money and just some simple clothes and toiletries. She had a handphone with her, but agency told me to keep her handphone during the loan period and only let her use on her off day after loan period.

I used to have a ex Malaysian Indonesia maid, her working attitude is similar to yours, fast and sloppy. Anyway, she didn't pass even 1month and I sent her back to agency to get her transfer cos she cannot handle my new born.
Base on your comments on your maid, if I were u, I won't even get her a pass. She is here to work and not for holiday. If she wants to go to those places of interests she should use her own salary to go in. If her performance is really good, she should proof herself to you and earn her rewards.
The passes to the attractions are more for her to follow us to the attractions when we are there. So far, both my previous and current helpers do not request for off days.

Send her back. She is lying about her work experience. Most likely she was moonlighting in Malaysia. Lots of maids ran away from employers and work part-time /moonlight on their own. You don't know what she did.
I chose her partly because she was with the same employer for 5 years in Malaysia. She was also supposedly to have higher commitment at home too.

Based on my past experience, I used to have this rewarding system in place for my helper. If she did a good job, we shower her with gifts and even travelling with us. Unfortunately, I don't pay to be kind. The more you are nice to the helper, the more they take you for granted. As such, I stop showering the helper with gifts but not fierce to them of course. Just be normal. No gifts, No travelling.....etcs. and surprising they will still continue to be hardworking.
It is common to hear being taken granted for. I do not tell about rewards but I make it a point to give some red packets on birthday, Chinese New Year and Hari Raya Puasa and get the helper presents when I travel. You can't really expect gratefulness from them. To me, it is more like a way to remind them that we do treat them like a normal worker and not a slave.

If you don't find her trustworthy then send her back. Seems like she is capable of making excuses which is the worst. You can't teach attitude so don't waste time, that's my opinion.
Agree with grace, from day 1 she know how to make excuse about phone, engagement ring. And you not set the strict border with her. No phone means no phone, and her reason doesnt make sense to me. Can see what will happen in the 3 months, your agent know about this ?
I will send her back to the agency with such working attitude and will not want to risk a small boy in her care.

I just employed a ex-SG Myanmar helper. She came with NO money and just some simple clothes and toiletries. She had a handphone with her, but agency told me to keep her handphone during the loan period and only let her use on her off day after loan period.
I totally agree that attitude is not something to be taught directly. If it is a painful lesson, perhaps they will then learn from the hard way? I have highlighted my concern to the agent again and it has been agreed that I can send her back.
She was caught doing something ridiculous and was confronted today. Since she did not admit to it and continue to insist otherwise, my tolerance limit has been reached. I glad that I just have to bear a while more and we can send her off. Hopefully the sending part will not be tough for me to handle.

Can just ask her go down and run errands, while she is away just pack her stuff for her. What we afraid is she gets too emo and refuse to leave, cry, etc.. not good if especially there is kids around.

Can just ask her go down and run errands, while she is away just pack her stuff for her. What we afraid is she gets too emo and refuse to leave, cry, etc.. not good if especially there is kids around.
Can we just pack for her? Examples let her go out first then once I pack finish, we just head out to the agency with her things. If can, should be easier for me. I was thinking it is to let her pack herself.

Yes I agree. I have a Myanmar maid since nov 2015. My mom passed her nice dresses which my mom no longer can fit in. I actually not happy about it but I keep quiet.... But I did notice she have a tendency to prefer my mom more than me which was an issue as I am her employer....

In fact recently on her off day she go out of the house carrying one of the dresses my mom gave her and was home 30 mins late!

I do pass to my maid stuff like brand new soft toys for her child and she express happiness but I do not find that it causes an improvement in her work.

Generally I am ok with her and I find she is improving in communicating with us like she recently started writing down household items she needs us to buy (etc cooking oil). She also packed my baby diaper bag on her off day and wrote down what she packed.

I quite like her sometimes but I really get frustrated with her when she's back late and when she doesn't clean stuff thoroughly. Sigh... My mom tell me there's no use to change maid as at least my this maid attitude is good and cares for my baby.. If change maid, what if get a worst one...

@joyfulmommy - We share the same mindset with your mom too. Our main aim with getting a helper was to help us with our babies after we bring them home after work and daycare.

Since the maid seems to be doing a pretty decent job of taking of our two babies, such as changing diapers, carrying them, packing diaper and daycare bags, we try our best to overlook her flaws such as rushing through other work so that she can use her phone and susbequently sleeping late at night cause of her phone.

I do scold her whenever I find her rushing through her work and not cleaning the bottles cleanly, or doing a slipshod job of cleaning the window grilles. We saw for ourselves how being too nice, or even nice to her, resulted in complacency creeping in and she was starting to climb over our heads. Hence I took on the 'bad cop' role and made it a point to tell her about her areas for improvement, or tick her off when certain mistakes are repeated for a fourth or fifth time.

In a way our risk is mitigated because our babies are at infant and child care most of the day so whenever she is with the babies, at least one of us is at home to semi-monitor or deter any funny business.

Ultimately in spite of her flaws, since our helper has almost fulfilled her main responsibility, we have been reluctant to change a maid since that itself may present another whole set of problems.

@bluestars - any updates about whether you have sent your helper back to the agency or country?
Sorry, just saw this thread as I kinda of forgotten about it. I sent her back a few days later after my first post as she did a stunt. Instead of calling the agent I compiled my concern in email to the agent. She agreed to take her back. It was a emotional ride for me to do so and we missed out a family day event at my hubby's company. I could not send her packing home as I will be losing far too much money and it does not stop her from coming back to Singapore.

She has been transferred to another employer but I noted that her employer history in Singapore has also ended on 29 Jan 16 after the 2nd employer. I guess she has left Singapore for good at the moment.

I have been without a maid and am now considering to direct re-hire my first helper. She has expressed interest to my mum that she wants to come out to work again as life is tough back home. She is keen to work for me again if I am willing to take her. The agency service fees for direct hire are quite expensive though. I wonder what are the process required in Indonesia that I need an agency to facilitate.

Back