Incompetent cervix and cerclage

I am diagnosed with incompetent cervix with funnelling observed. I'm already in week 21 now. Most likely I will be given the option of doing emergency cerclage or just go with bed rest. Feeling very lost now...

Anyone facing the same issue? Or has anyone gone thru cerclage with KKH? I am referred to Dr shephali tagore. Anyone has any review about her?

Thanks in advance!

i did a cerclage in 2011 when i was in week 12 with my gynae at mt A since i had prematured deliveries for past two pregnancies. I am glad i did because my 3rd pregnancy i managed to carry till week36 when i no longer able to coz waterbag burst again. my #1 at week35. my #2 at week32. If possible, I think cerclage would be an option available which i will choose.

do ask what risks are involved since yours already week21. best wishes to u.

Hi Mongchichichi,
I reply u here instead as I think here better platform to share experience about IC / cerclage.

Understand your worry for the bill as I come across this before. But if compare to other privates hospital, definitely Kkh will be much cheaper!
Du u know why cerclage is too late for u? Did doctor order u complete bed rest at home? I did not manage to do cerclage for my last pregnancy as my cervix dilated 3 cm, uterus membrane bulging and complicated with contraction at weeks 24. At weeks 29 I felt severe pain and contraction, baby delivered via emergency cesarean.
Now she is 3+years old oredi.
Hang in there and try to pull through 28 weeks, then the baby survival rate is higher and less complication.
For this pregnancy, I will stop work after cerclage at 18 weeks. How about u? I guess u now on mc right? I with Dr Tan Heng Hao from kkh , also seeing doctor from Mt E novena since I am high risk preggie.
Jia you!

Hi sweetbunny,

Thanks so much for sharing!
Yes im on bed rest at home. I was having contraction and the doctor advised that i might not b suitable for the cerclage, worried that it might cause more cramps.
This pregnancy is my first and has not been a smooth one. So i was on alot of MCs n hospitalization leave.

Now hoping to cross 28 weeks! Have been worrying everyday.

I am diagnosed with incompetent cervix with funnelling observed. I'm already in week 21 now. Most likely I will be given the option of doing emergency cerclage or just go with bed rest. Feeling very lost now...

Anyone facing the same issue? Or has anyone gone thru cerclage with KKH? I am referred to Dr shephali tagore. Anyone has any review about her?

Thanks in advance!

Dr Shepali did my cerclage fr me in June. It was fast and painless.. and appt with her or Dr Karuna (they are a team) every 2 weeks. im in week 30 now, cerclage is still good and cervix measuring at 3.9cm. Shes very confident with her work so that gives some hope.. Best of luck to you!!

Dr Shepali did my cerclage fr me in June. It was fast and painless.. and appt with her or Dr Karuna (they are a team) every 2 weeks. im in week 30 now, cerclage is still good and cervix measuring at 3.9cm. Shes very confident with her work so that gives some hope.. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you @mommyofboys ! I went for a few appt with her and im really glad that she's very confident and encouraging. Most importantly she has very clear plans for me! Hope everything goes well for us!

Hi cerclage mummies. Can i know which type of cerclarge did doc did for you? Read that there are few different types available being the TAC hold the best but not sure which doctor does this in SG. Thanks for your feedback

Hi ladies, sorry to pop by ... I'm week 21 now with twins... Tue cervix measuring 14mm... Then measure again after 3 days .. It dropped to 7mm... I was so sad... Now in a dilemma wherethe to proceed cerclage ...

Hi ladies, sorry to pop by ... I'm week 21 now with twins... Tue cervix measuring 14mm... Then measure again after 3 days .. It dropped to 7mm... I was so sad... Now in a dilemma wherethe to proceed cerclage ...

What did ur doctor recommend? For my case i ended up doing bed rest and taking progesterone without cerclage, cos i was having mild contraction alrdy. Do rmb to rest as much as u can and keep your twins inside! Hope evrything is alright for u!

What did ur doctor recommend? For my case i ended up doing bed rest and taking progesterone without cerclage, cos i was having mild contraction alrdy. Do rmb to rest as much as u can and keep your twins inside! Hope evrything is alright for u!
The high risk team, young doc recommend cerclarge and a old doc say cerclarge doesn't really help much... Cos I'm having twins.... My current conditions , bb are fine , I do not have any contractions or bleeding ... Right now I'm on bed rest inserting progesterone at kkh...

Hi yoyo13, i also read that cerclage doesnt really work with twin pregnancy. Am currently 13 weeks pregnant. High risk for IC due to previous medical history. Am with Dr Tan HH in kkh currently and he will monitor my cervical length bi weekly. If shorten, den no choice, have to do stitch.

Hi mongchichi,
How are you? How far along are you now in your pregnancy? Does progesterone and bedrest works for u? May i know how short was ur cervix when they diagnosed u with IC?

Hi yoyo13, i also read that cerclage doesnt really work with twin pregnancy. Am currently 13 weeks pregnant. High risk for IC due to previous medical history. Am with Dr Tan HH in kkh currently and he will monitor my cervical length bi weekly. If shorten, den no choice, have to do stitch.
If cerclage done earlier at ard 13weeks still ok ... But now I'm 21d6 weeks , n only left with 7mm... I'm also w Tan HH.... Maybe Becos this is my 1st pregnancy , that's y he didn't do bi weekly check up.. It's was discover during my 5mth detail scan... Currently bed rest in hospital and pray hard...

Hi mongchichi,
How are you? How far along are you now in your pregnancy? Does progesterone and bedrest works for u? May i know how short was ur cervix when they diagnosed u with IC?

Hi bbelieve, I am at week 32 now. When diagnosed, my cervix is 1.8cm with funnelling at 20 weeks.. Was with TMC but decided to go to KKH. Then at week 28, I was admitted into KKH for a week due to spotting but it seemed like it is not related to IC.

Now things r good and surprisingly the funnelling is gone, length still keeping at around 1.8cm. I think bed rest and progesterone really helped in my case.

Hi bbelieve, I am at week 32 now. When diagnosed, my cervix is 1.8cm with funnelling at 20 weeks.. Was with TMC but decided to go to KKH. Then at week 28, I was admitted into KKH for a week due to spotting but it seemed like it is not related to IC.

Now things r good and surprisingly the funnelling is gone, length still keeping at around 1.8cm. I think bed rest and progesterone really helped in my case.
Great to heard... It gave me more hopes!!!

Yes yes. When ppl ask me what is incompetent cervix and why need bed rest, i also tell ppl basically my case is the same like vivian hsu. Haha. Then they will like oh... But doubt they really know whats going on with her apart that she did long bed rest . Haha. @yoyo13 , hang on there. Dr Tan is a very nice doctor. Just keep ur babies baking a bit more and u will be fine. Just wondering how is the hospitalisation bill? Trying to prepare myself incase i need to do long hospital bedrest. Need to be prepared mentally and financially.

Mongchichi. Wow! 32 weeks is a good and safe period. Cos heard from doctor, once we cross 28 to 30 weeks, den its safe cos the baby will be too big to be sitting on the cevix. Baby will rest on the pelvic bone instead. So, u can start prepare for you baby arrival liao. Good luck!

Yes yes. When ppl ask me what is incompetent cervix and why need bed rest, i also tell ppl basically my case is the same like vivian hsu. Haha. Then they will like oh... But doubt they really know whats going on with her apart that she did long bed rest . Haha. @yoyo13 , hang on there. Dr Tan is a very nice doctor. Just keep ur babies baking a bit more and u will be fine. Just wondering how is the hospitalisation bill? Trying to prepare myself incase i need to do long hospital bedrest. Need to be prepared mentally and financially.
Not sure about the bills... But I taking class C ward. Last time my dad had a stroke and stay SGH class B2... Don't have to fork cash... So I suppose I don't have to.... Nvm as long they are safe.... Money can earn back....

Hi @yoyo13,
I had same problem as you. Carrying twins and found out short cervix length of 6mm at 21wks1day with funneling. Was in KKH for complete bed rest 4days before I went for cerclage.

And I was released home for bed rest till birth with strict instuctions to lie down except for toilet breaks, meals and shower time. Even when going back for check ups, my hubs or mum will push me there in wheelchair.

Was give utrogestan to be taken orally every night and jab weekly for initial 3 wk.

My bbs n I just passed 28wks and doc say cervix length is at 3cm when he checked me yest.

Jia you kk? Keep resting more..the nurses taught me to put a pillow below my butt to ease pressure on cervix. Though nt very comfortable but you will get use to it after few days. Also was taught to drink 3l of water daily to prevent contractions.

Since you are with KKH also, perhaps our path will cross some day when we do our bi weekly scan at ADC. Haha if you happen to see someone coming in to ADC on a wheelchair which is nt hospital's 1. Tat will be me haha.

Lastly talk to ur bbs and ask them to hang on and jia you with you. I'm sure our bbs will listen to us.

All the best to u and me hehe.

Hi @yoyo13,
I had same problem as you. Carrying twins and found out short cervix length of 6mm at 21wks1day with funneling. Was in KKH for complete bed rest 4days before I went for cerclage.

And I was released home for bed rest till birth with strict instuctions to lie down except for toilet breaks, meals and shower time. Even when going back for check ups, my hubs or mum will push me there in wheelchair.

Was give utrogestan to be taken orally every night and jab weekly for initial 3 wk.

My bbs n I just passed 28wks and doc say cervix length is at 3cm when he checked me yest.

Jia you kk? Keep resting more..the nurses taught me to put a pillow below my butt to ease pressure on cervix. Though nt very comfortable but you will get use to it after few days. Also was taught to drink 3l of water daily to prevent contractions.

Since you are with KKH also, perhaps our path will cross some day when we do our bi weekly scan at ADC. Haha if you happen to see someone coming in to ADC on a wheelchair which is nt hospital's 1. Tat will be me haha.

Lastly talk to ur bbs and ask them to hang on and jia you with you. I'm sure our bbs will listen to us.

All the best to u and me hehe.
Thanks .... I'm more jilat... I was being push by bed to ADC.... Now my condition worsen... One of my Water bag broken .. Everyday I can feel water leaking... N they say I open 4cm... Lucky thing is that I don't infection n contraction pain... Still hanging on here ... Hoping for the best !

Thanks .... I'm more jilat... I was being push by bed to ADC.... Now my condition worsen... One of my Water bag broken .. Everyday I can feel water leaking... N they say I open 4cm... Lucky thing is that I don't infection n contraction pain... Still hanging on here ... Hoping for the best !

Praying for you @yoyo13 ! Do drink lotsa water to replenish! When I was hospitalised I met someone who faced the same situation, n she's doing fine. Jiayou! Hope that everything will be fine for you and your little ones!

Hang in there @yoyo13, I know it is easier said than done but dun feel kan cheong cuz bbs can feel de. Say some prayers to calm urself down.

I read somewhere that drinking water help replenish water bag too and there are cases of administrating med to stop the dilation any further if I not wrong.

Jia you and hope that you and ur bbs turn out fine. All the best!!

Thanks ... I'm trying to drink lots of water ... Currently on strict bed rest that I have to do all small big business on bed too...

Hi Yoyo,

Wanna to say jia you to you and hang in there! I know it is really not easy but pray hard and talk to your bbs, they will listen!

I have also experienced the terrible strict bed rest at delivery ward of kk during my previous pregnancy. Strict bed rest for 5 weeks from 24 weeks until 29 weeks. My cervix dilated 3cm when I admitted, my case worsen as I can feel contraction. Given jab and medication to control and pull through 5 weeks more.
So Good thing is you dun feel contraction now but please be mindful of infection as water bag is leaking. Drinking more water!

I am in 29+5 weeks of this pregnancy. This time round Also not easy for me. In and out kk hospital 3 times. Last discharged from kk on last week after 4 days stay because experienced contraction. Cerclage Done before.

So Jia you! Jia you! Fingers crossed, We can make it! All the best!

Hi Yoyo,

Wanna to say jia you to you and hang in there! I know it is really not easy but pray hard and talk to your bbs, they will listen!

I have also experienced the terrible strict bed rest at delivery ward of kk during my previous pregnancy. Strict bed rest for 5 weeks from 24 weeks until 29 weeks. My cervix dilated 3cm when I admitted, my case worsen as I can feel contraction. Given jab and medication to control and pull through 5 weeks more.
So Good thing is you dun feel contraction now but please be mindful of infection as water bag is leaking. Drinking more water!

I am in 29+5 weeks of this pregnancy. This time round Also not easy for me. In and out kk hospital 3 times. Last discharged from kk on last week after 4 days stay because experienced contraction. Cerclage Done before.

So Jia you! Jia you! Fingers crossed, We can make it! All the best!
Thanks sweet bunny... I was crying for few days in hospital due to negative comments/remarks given... Some ward doc told me 23weeks consider abortion.. Old Midwife say I got twins n yet I still continue to work . Sld rest from the start... Tell me haiz.. See how it goes... Even children doc came to see me telling me 23weeks , they just let bb pass on..... But now I dry my tears... I'm glad many friends supported me and even went praying for me.. I won't give up and fight till the end.... Going 24 weeks soon.... N steriod shot will be given to me... I ask why other can have smooth pregnancy and mine so many issue... Ans? Becos our bbs are special! Let's jia you together !

@yoyo13: Remember dun strain during pass motion. If cannot pass, request to take stool softener. I've been taking them since wk 21.

Its scary to be there,but must be strong for your bbs. Remember to eat up also since bbs need nutrients to grow.

Jia you and try not think negatively kk?

Hi Yoyo

Great! Dun give up and fight till the end.

I also cried llike u before, feeling great unsettling, worry and helpless. But all this negative emotion doesn't help. Thing happened, we got to faced it.. It is really no easy, but this is the only way out Because we are unlike other mummies, carrying Baby being so challenging and taugh task to us. Thanks Buddha, my 29 weeks premie is now a healthy 3 + years old gal. She always close to me and 贴心. Maybe this is because I always talked to her when she was in my tummy.

I think the religion also important to support us to continue our journey. During my stay in delivery suite, I used to pray and listen to Buddha song to calm my mind, and gave me strength. Soothing music also good.
Stay strong!
I was also been given Steriod jab recently for this pregnancy... It is really painful and injected on thigh. But it is important to develop Bb lung. So endure with it!

@yoyo13: Remember dun strain during pass motion. If cannot pass, request to take stool softener. I've been taking them since wk 21.

Its scary to be there,but must be strong for your bbs. Remember to eat up also since bbs need nutrients to grow.

Jia you and try not think negatively kk?
Ya... My constipation v jilat ... They give me 3 medicine to soften stool.... Still I can't pass motion everyday. Ya.... I plan to start drinking back my mamil gold milk to make them big.... Lying dwn all the time can't eat much... And u know hospital food yucky....

Hi Yoyo

Great! Dun give up and fight till the end.

I also cried llike u before, feeling great unsettling, worry and helpless. But all this negative emotion doesn't help. Thing happened, we got to faced it.. It is really no easy, but this is the only way out Because we are unlike other mummies, carrying Baby being so challenging and taugh task to us. Thanks Buddha, my 29 weeks premie is now a healthy 3 + years old gal. She always close to me and 贴心. Maybe this is because I always talked to her when she was in my tummy.

I think the religion also important to support us to continue our journey. During my stay in delivery suite, I used to pray and listen to Buddha song to calm my mind, and gave me strength. Soothing music also good.
Stay strong!
I was also been given Steriod jab recently for this pregnancy... It is really painful and injected on thigh. But it is important to develop Bb lung. So endure with it!
Thanks... I played these Buddha song and piano song everyday .... Been telling my twins now not the time to come out... Don't suffer 1st... I will bear all the injections, medication .... U both just make more water and stay free of infection inside ...... Just got a steriod jab at 2am.. It's really painful .... But lucky 2am I'm still in sleeping mood... So I fall back to slp easily.... Another one @ afternoon.... Think must use back this sleeping mood method so that not so painful. Lol

Nurse say stool softener takes 2 days to take effect. My trick is to eat dragon fruit. If possible, ask ur hubby buy n bring to u? I dun dare eat much so always eat 1 slice only but it works.

Not sure if u have help from home, but i beg my mum to cook extra for me that time. Just simple dish like extra pork rib soup or stir fry pork or chicken to pile on the iron and proteins.

Becuz we r havin twins, we need extra nutrients especially iron. I tink they will check the levels smwhere is wk 26-28.

Stay strong ya? Smtimes tink of wat to eat to take ur mind off the worries while lying in bed. Everyday passed is a blessing. Take care!!!

Hi @yoyo13 , @Sharon Lee_Tan and @sweetbunny , how are you mummies doing now? Just realized i miss the posts for 2 weeks cos it was pretty quiet before. Hope everyone is still baking and progressing well. Me currently entering 19 weeks and doctor said now will start the critical week for IC. Request to check my cervical length weekly hoping to catch any changes earlier as i do not have any cerclage. Super stressful. Sometimes think think till cant fall asleep at night. Haiz

Hi @Bbelieve,

Hope you are well too.Don't dwell on unknown 1st, will cause stress to you and bb. Are you resting at home or working as per normal?

I'm good. In my 31weeks now and doc say she will remove my cerclage in 35th week or during c sect depending on the 35th check up.

Staying in bed work for me though since I'm lying down for at least 22hrs since my discharge and doc told me during 30th week check up that i can walk more now though I still dont dare and is also quite heavy and clumsy to move ard.

Hope ur next check on cervix lenght turns out fine. Remember rest well, drink more water and have faith. Good luck to you and keep us update here.

To @yoyo13 & @sweetbunny, hope you 2 are doing well too!

Hi all,
I am not too well, was admitted on last Monday and still stay at hospital.this is my 4th admission..this time round I had experienced spotting and contraction. Good thing is no more spotting now but the contraction is come and go everyday. I don feel painful contraction and my cervix still closed.
Today I hit 33 weeks. Hopefully bb can stay in my tummy and we can cross 34 weeks..pray hard!

Hi Sharon,

May I know why your doctor advise u to remove cerclage in week 35th? For me, I hope to keep the bb as long as possible inside the womb. Unfortunately , my contraction keep coming back. On medication- adalat since weeks 28 to control the contraction...I worry once the cerclage is removed, the bb will just pop out too early! So now Really praying hard!

Hi ladies, good to heard u all still hanging there... I'm not as lucky as u gals.... I delivered in just 25weeks due to bleeding... Now my twins are in nicu... I just hope everything is fine everyday....

Hi Sharon, am not working currently. My only duty now is to keep my babies baking for as long as possible. I hope i am as far along as you.

@sweetbunny , 33 weeks is a great milestone! U can be abit relax now i guess, and since ur cervix still closed, guess u can easily make it to full term. Don worry too much le.

@yoyo13 , how r babies doing now in nicu? If am not wrong, doctor managed to administer steroid jab for the babies lung for u right? So, the outcome should be good as i heard the steroid makes lotsa difference for premature babies. Stay strong for your babies ya!

Cant wait for my cervical length check this coming Friday and pray hard everything will be good. Since am not working now, my weekly appointment is the only motivation for me now. Super anxious before going for the check but super happy and relieve for few days if result come back good. At least another week down. And the cyle continues..

Hope 2016 will bring my bundle of joy into my arms.

Hi Sharon,

May I know why your doctor advise u to remove cerclage in week 35th? For me, I hope to keep the bb as long as possible inside the womb. Unfortunately , my contraction keep coming back. On medication- adalat since weeks 28 to control the contraction...I worry once the cerclage is removed, the bb will just pop out too early! So now Really praying hard!

Hi @sweetbunny,

I'm not sure why too. I also read some stories that when cerclage is remove then will give birth soon le.so i was not very willing. But becuz my cervix lenght was at 3cm maybe she was confident?

But I told her I prefer to remove during c sect also. Hope she is Okie with it at my 35th wk check up.

Hi Sharon, am not working currently. My only duty now is to keep my babies baking for as long as possible. I hope i am as far along as you.

@sweetbunny , 33 weeks is a great milestone! U can be abit relax now i guess, and since ur cervix still closed, guess u can easily make it to full term. Don worry too much le.

@yoyo13 , how r babies doing now in nicu? If am not wrong, doctor managed to administer steroid jab for the babies lung for u right? So, the outcome should be good as i heard the steroid makes lotsa difference for premature babies. Stay strong for your babies ya!

Cant wait for my cervical length check this coming Friday and pray hard everything will be good. Since am not working now, my weekly appointment is the only motivation for me now. Super anxious before going for the check but super happy and relieve for few days if result come back good. At least another week down. And the cyle continues..

Hope 2016 will bring my bundle of joy into my arms.

@Bbelieve, dun worry..I'm sure you can do it. I was initially scared too. But in a blink of eyes here we are at 32nd wk now. Just rest as much as you can. Dun walk too much. I dun even sit up much.

Eat healthily and be happy thinking of your bbs. I talk to them everyday to let them know how far we came and how long more they have to endure.

Haha I know how you feel on the checkup. I always kan cheong till bp shot up. And will go back normal once they told me everything ok and bbs and I are doing good. Do let us know your results kk?
Jia you and all the best to you :)

Thanks Sharon for your kind words and advise. Yes! I always struggle with bp when i go for my check up. i even ask doctor if got any pill that can make me sleep now and wake up when am 32 weeks, and hopefully can enjoy few more weeks of being pregnant before bbs come out. Haha. Did my check up. Everything still good. But one thing i find it weird in kkh is that i can see i have curved cervix but the sono never measure my cervix along the curved line. They measure straight line from point A and point B which is shorter than the actual length. I did my baseline length check @12 weeks in nuh. The doctor who did the scan told me i have curved cervix and he basically traced the measurement along the cervical canal for exact measurement. Wonder how is everyone else measurement like. Is it the same?

Thanks Sharon for your kind words and advise. Yes! I always struggle with bp when i go for my check up. i even ask doctor if got any pill that can make me sleep now and wake up when am 32 weeks, and hopefully can enjoy few more weeks of being pregnant before bbs come out. Haha. Did my check up. Everything still good. But one thing i find it weird in kkh is that i can see i have curved cervix but the sono never measure my cervix along the curved line. They measure straight line from point A and point B which is shorter than the actual length. I did my baseline length check @12 weeks in nuh. The doctor who did the scan told me i have curved cervix and he basically traced the measurement along the cervical canal for exact measurement. Wonder how is everyone else measurement like. Is it the same?
Hi @Bbelieve,

Good to hear that all is good for now. All will be fine de so dun worry much. Erm how u noe u got curved cervix? My gynae or sono didnt tell me this. But i see they measured is a straight line from A to B.

Actually sono didnt measured for me. Is ny gynae who did when I went for his clinic. Sono is more interested in the babies' growth haha.

Enjoy the pregnancy process cuz soon u will feel the kicks. Haha.. Remember be positive and stay happy:)

Cheers!

Hi ladies, good to heard u all still hanging there... I'm not as lucky as u gals.... I delivered in just 25weeks due to bleeding... Now my twins are in nicu... I just hope everything is fine everyday....[/QUOTE

Hi @yoyo13,

Hope all are good with your twins. I heard from others that premmies are surviours and they have stronger wills than full time babies.

Have faith in your babies Okie? Hope they can get to go home soon with you.

Do keep us update when you are free:)

Sharon, when i did my baseline check at NUH, the gynae showed me the cervix. Their ultrasound machine is so clear i can see the curved line. He also trace the curved line to show me. Thats how i know. But in kkh, i cant really see the line. Have to ask the sono whr is it. Haha. May i know which doctor you are with now? Think you with private doctor right? Cos gov hospital, the scan usually done by sono and not by doctor itself right?

Sharon, when i did my baseline check at NUH, the gynae showed me the cervix. Their ultrasound machine is so clear i can see the curved line. He also trace the curved line to show me. Thats how i know. But in kkh, i cant really see the line. Have to ask the sono whr is it. Haha. May i know which doctor you are with now? Think you with private doctor right? Cos gov hospital, the scan usually done by sono and not by doctor itself right?
Bbelieve, I'm with Prof John Tee as private patient. He only did 1st scan for me and a brief 1 at 26th wk to check my cervix length. Since I'm with twins,all other scans are done by sono and review by in hse doc in the clinic. Once in 6wks,Prof Tee will ask me go back for him to review too.

If I'm not wrong, private patients with singletons will be scan by gynae unless detail scans. Sub patients will be scan by sono and take the results to sub clinic for doc on duty to review.

Why did you change from NUH to KKH? I heard NUH have similar facilities too.

Hi Sharon, am under private with Dr Tan but so far none of my cervical length check was done by him. Its all done at ADC by sono, den i take the report to see Dr Tan.
Just went for my 20 weeks detailed scan. Cervical length has shortened from 2.8 last week to 1.9 today. A bit freak out now. Dr Tan ordered another length check one week later. But am quite doubtful about the sono who did the measurement today cos she never really zoom in to see the cervix properly. The cervix look so small on the ultrasound screen. How to take an accurate measurement? Haiz. There goes my weekend.

Hi Sharon, am under private with Dr Tan but so far none of my cervical length check was done by him. Its all done at ADC by sono, den i take the report to see Dr Tan.
Just went for my 20 weeks detailed scan. Cervical length has shortened from 2.8 last week to 1.9 today. A bit freak out now. Dr Tan ordered another length check one week later. But am quite doubtful about the sono who did the measurement today cos she never really zoom in to see the cervix properly. The cervix look so small on the ultrasound screen. How to take an accurate measurement? Haiz. There goes my weekend.

@Bbelieve: dun stress 1st. Prof Tee only check my cervix lenght after my cerclage to see how I'm holding on. He didnt check prior that. I was usually check by an Indian sono in ADC and I find her the best among the 3 who checked twins.

U relax and keep resting. Pop a pillow under ur butt when u lie down and dun move unnecessary. Drink at least 3l of water every day. I did all this after cerlcage and managed to hold till now. Even bathing I take a chair n sit down.

When u go for ur check ups, u grab a wheelchair from the taxi stand and ask whoever with u to wheel u around the hospital. I didnt go out except for check up since they released me home. Am a mountain turtle now. Haha

I understand ur anxiety cuz i juz went thru an episode of high blood pressure scare. In any case remember u r in good hands since they will keep checking u closely. Lie down n relax and see whether the length will come back.

U have a better length den me at 20wks. Mine was 6mm only. After cerclage its 1.8cm and after 5wks of resting then it went bak to 3cm. So have faith kk..jia you!!!

@Bbelieve: dun stress 1st. Prof Tee only check my cervix lenght after my cerclage to see how I'm holding on. He didnt check prior that. I was usually check by an Indian sono in ADC and I find her the best among the 3 who checked twins.

U relax and keep resting. Pop a pillow under ur butt when u lie down and dun move unnecessary. Drink at least 3l of water every day. I did all this after cerlcage and managed to hold till now. Even bathing I take a chair n sit down.

When u go for ur check ups, u grab a wheelchair from the taxi stand and ask whoever with u to wheel u around the hospital. I didnt go out except for check up since they released me home. Am a mountain turtle now. Haha

I understand ur anxiety cuz i juz went thru an episode of high blood pressure scare. In any case remember u r in good hands since they will keep checking u closely. Lie down n relax and see whether the length will come back.

U have a better length den me at 20wks. Mine was 6mm only. After cerclage its 1.8cm and after 5wks of resting then it went bak to 3cm. So have faith kk..jia you!!!

Hi Sharon,
Is cerclage a major operation? How did you cope with work and bed rest - did the doctor give any medical or hospital leave?
I'm just in my 14th week and in hospital for spotting- it might be cervical incompetence the doctor says my cervix is too short, but pending confirmation. Was there any symptoms to this?

Hi Sharon,
Is cerclage a major operation? How did you cope with work and bed rest - did the doctor give any medical or hospital leave?
I'm just in my 14th week and in hospital for spotting- it might be cervical incompetence the doctor says my cervix is too short, but pending confirmation. Was there any symptoms to this?
@S_liny: I only found out at 21wks during detail scan so mine is consider emergency cerclage. If urs is detected early and it done b4 16wks it is called preventive cerclage. Preventive cercalge has a higher chance of holding than emergency especially in singleton pregnancy. I think you will be given hospitalization leave for 2-3wks and you are good to go back to normal activities.

There are no symptoms prior to me finding out about it. But I'm carrying twins which gynae say they dont have much info how well cerclage can hold for me. So I have a higher uncertainty even though I underwent cerclage. I was given HL all the way from discharge till birth cuz I'm considered under high risk.

Cerclage is actually done when you are under half anesthetic. Meaning to say your lower half body is numb only and you will be awake. It is said to be safer. There will be abit pain after the numbness wear off but I managed to withstand it w/o painkillers. There are a bit of bloody discharge for 2-3days. Also I minimised all movements after that as per gynae instructions.

It might be scary for us to go through cerclage but seriously I think as mother to be, we are more courageous than we think we are to do what we can to hold our baby till full term.

Don't think too much and rest well 1st and see what gynae advise you.

All the best to you:)

Back