Recent Articles

Hospital Maternity Tours in Singapore: Thomson Medical Centre & National University Hospital

mum-and-baby-daughter-crop.jpg

We’ve come to the last installment of 10 hospital maternity tours in Singapore! One of these is my choice. It’s also one of five maternity hospitals here (according to the website of Parentlink, a childbirth and doula support provider) to offer mums-to-be the option of a water birth. Can you tell which one it is? […]

Continue reading...

The Best Must-have Travel Essentials for Kids!

rsz_1travelling_with_kids.jpg

Gone are the days when you could succumb to wanderlust, pack for a trip for which you booked a flight just a day before, and set off carefree with your bunch of girlfriends. Travelling with the kids in tow is a whole new ball game, isn’t it? You would have probably found yourself scrutinising your […]

Continue reading...

Buy Gifts That Give Back This Christmas!

rsz_featured-gifts.jpg

For most Singaporeans, the impending festive season spells an additional reason to indulge in some guilt-free shopping. Most of us would probably have made mental notes of what to get for our loved ones, friends and colleagues whilst window shopping in malls. It sure is a nice feeling to be presented with a gift carefully […]

Continue reading...

10 Best Stores to Shop At For Children’s Gifts

gifts-featured.jpg

If the process of selecting gifts for adults is a tricky one, then that of selecting presents for the little ones demands twice the attention! What are some factors to take into consideration when going Christmas gift shopping for the kids? First and foremost, is it appropriate for his or her age? Could it possibly […]

Continue reading...

Male Infertility: What you need to know

bed-post-crop.jpg

When a couple is having trouble conceiving, the ‘problem’ could lie with either of them. A couple is considered as infertile if they have not conceived after 12 months of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse. According to Dr Yeong Cheng Toh, consultant gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist at Virtus Fertility Centre Singapore, about 15 per cent of […]

Continue reading...

Swelling (Edema) in Pregnant Women

pregnant-rubbing-foot.jpg

Edema is a condition you are likely to experience when you are pregnant. You’ll discover that physical expansion is not limited to the middle of the body. In fact, the mum-to-be can balloon all over because of edema. Edema commonly targets the ankles, legs, and hands and is more common in the evenings, and from […]

Continue reading...

5 Pregnancy Must-Do’s for Mums-to-be in Singapore

Pregnant-mom-1-crop.jpg

Pregnancy can seem overwhelming at times. On top of having endless pregnancy guides and parenting books to browse through, the long list of do’s and don’ts can leave you feeling lost. That’s why we’ve put together a basic five-step checklist to guide you through your pregnancy journey. Make your list, check it twice, and have a blissful […]

Continue reading...

:: GIVEAWAY! :: Robotics Workshops at Innovation Lab by LEGO® Education

IMAG0029-2.jpg

If your kids love LEGO® (and which kid doesn’t?!) and enjoy robotics, tinkering, building, sign them up for the holiday camps and workshops at Innovation Lab by LEGO® Education. Located at KidsStop at the Science Centre Singapore, this is the first of its kind in Southeast Asia, conducting workshops and camps for children from 4.5 years. There’s a robotics workshop for every kind of […]

Continue reading...

Finding the Best Chinese Name for your Baby

chinese-words-copy-crop.jpg

One of the most important decisions that parents will ever have to make on behalf of their children is to choose his or her name. For the more traditional of Chinese families, the Chinese name is even more crucial than an English or Christian name. After all, as the Chinese saying goes, “赐子千金,不如教子一艺。教子一艺,不如赐子好名”. This means: “Instead of giving your […]

Continue reading...

Teach Maths and Science with Christmas-themed Activities? Ho! Ho! Ho! It’s Possible!

santa-hats-crop.jpg

Did you know that Maths and Science are not just school subjects, but part of your child’s daily life? Because children often learn and retain concepts better through hands-on experiences rather than through books, we can make use of daily activities to introduce Maths and Science concepts to them even while they are having fun. […]

Continue reading...

Helping My Introvert Child Cope in Primary School and Beyond

shy-boy-crop.jpg

When my daughter Rachel was younger, she attended ballet and piano classes — just like her older sister. She wanted to be as good in them as her jiejie (older sister in Mandarin) in these activities. But by mid-term she had grown less enthusiastic. “Did you enjoy the class?,” I’d ask. “I don’t know,” she’d mumble. Class concerts at the end of […]

Continue reading...

Experience The Arctic at The New Snow City!

rsz_new_snow_city_mascots.jpg

I had the opportunity to meet the “Arctic Avengers” yesterday. They comprised Oki, an Eskimo boy, and his animal friends – Nooka the polar bear, Suki the snowy owl, Ila the wolf and Koko the fox. This adorable clan makes up the revamped Snow City’s five new mascots which serve to teach visitors about climate […]

Continue reading...

Safe Christmas Feasting for Pregnant Ladies

rsz_xmas-feast.jpg

Having been pregnant and watching what I eat (for the most part) for two trimesters now, I can’t lie – I’m looking forward to Christmas parties where I can sink my teeth into festive delights. However, Christmas foods are known to be rich and indulgent (probably why we love them so much) – not the […]

Continue reading...

“My Parenting Style” with Diana Ser

rsz_visual_-_crazy_about_chinese.jpg

We all probably know Diana Ser as a veteran television presenter and former broadcast journalist with two decades of experience in the media industry. She is best known for being the presenter and producer of the high profile current affairs series, “Get Rea!” and “What Women Want, Really”, which aired on Channel NewsAsia. The mother […]

Continue reading...

The Best Clothing Stores to Shop at For Tweens

rsz_featured-clothes.jpg

A tween is defined as a child between the ages of nine and twelve. It’s that awkward age range during which your child is no longer a little kid, but not quite a teenager yet either. One of the irksome issues that accompany the entry into this phase is that of finding age-appropriate clothes. Suddenly, […]

Continue reading...

What Happened in 2015: The Family Edition

rsz_year-2015.jpg

Yet another year has gone by – we hope it was a productive and prosperous 2015 for you and your loved ones! Although we typically wish for the best at the start of each fresh year, things don’t always pan out the way we want them to during the course of the year. With regards […]

Continue reading...

Pregnancy Weight Gain? Manage it with Exercise!

preggie-in-gym.jpg

If I told you that varicose veins, swelling and stretch marks need not plague your pregnancy, would you believe me? What pregnant ladies often hear is that these are common pregnancy discomforts that they have to deal with, except for a lucky few with “good genes”. However, this is a misconception. In a normal pregnancy, the […]

Continue reading...

10 Ways Dads can Help with Breastfeeding

family-with-newborn-3-1429422-1279x852.jpg

Breastfeeding is only for mums. True? Yes, but the success of mum’s breastfeeding journey depends (partly) on the man. Here in Singapore, 99 per cent of new mothers try breastfeeding, half of new babies are exclusively breastfed, and 80 per cent of them are still breastfed two months later. As this 2012 study shows, most mums […]

Continue reading...

Homemade Freezer Meals help Mums Save Money & Eat Healthy!

peppers.jpg

With our fast-paced lifestyle, more and more dual-income families are eating out at hawker centres and fast food restaurants rather than cooking at home. While these dining options may be fuss-free, they are probably not the healthiest, especially for children. Most hawker dishes contain high levels of MSG, fats, salt, and too little fibre. Even […]

Continue reading...

:: GIVEAWAY! :: KidsFest 2016 — The Snow Child

Snowchild.jpg

KidsFest is back this year with six world-class theatre productions adapted from well-loved children’s books. This festival by ABA Productions brings world-class theatre for young people, creating and promoting a wide variety of performance styles from all corners of the world. This year, book-lovers and theatre fans alike can look forward to six different productions […]

Continue reading...

Surviving CNY While Coping with Infertility

featured-image-infertility.jpg

Did you know that the stress and emotional turmoil that come along with being an infertile woman is equivalent to that experienced by a cancer patient? Yes, a Harvard Medical School study has suggested that. Infertility is a highly sensitive issue which demands the utmost care when brought up during a conversation. Which is the […]

Continue reading...

Make your Home the Best Playground for your Kids!

ikea-home-play-family.jpg

We all know the benefits of outdoor play. Playing in open air, surrounded by nature, can help children develop their abilities for creativity, problem-solving, and emotional and intellectual development. And play is especially important in early childhood, experts say. But with unpredictable weather in Singapore — too hot, too wet — the outdoors is sometimes not the best place for […]

Continue reading...

Nutrition for Babies: How Important Is Iron?

featured-image.jpg

Did you know that at full-term, babies have huge amounts of iron stored in their bodies to last them for the first six months of their life? Iron is a crucial element that plays an important part in an infant’s childhood nutrition. In particular, it is essential for red blood cells to facilitate the transport […]

Continue reading...

I am Not in my Child’s Class Whatsapp Group. Here’s why.

9873781113_fb83ee069b_k.jpg

One day when my daughter was in kindergarten, she came home and very excitedly announced that she had some really awesome news to share. The only problem was that she couldn’t remember what it was. Then the words innocently tumbled out, “Mama, why don’t you write to my teacher on your phone and ask her?”. […]

Continue reading...

7 Online Stores to get Traditional Chinese New Year Outfits for your Child

rsz_uptownkidz-girls.jpg

Chinese New Year is coming up in two weeks. Have you shopped for the kids’ outfits yet? No need to worry if you’re not keen to join the hordes out there, we’ve sought out seven cool online stores where you can get traditional yet stylish threads for kids to usher in the Year of The Monkey — and […]

Continue reading...

7 Ways to Instil a Love of Learning in Your Child

kids-with-books-crop.jpg

Children who grow up curious about the world around them, encouraged to pursue their interests and free to make independent choices, are more likely to enjoy the process of learning. What’s more, when children feel good about themselves and are happy with their achievements regardless of their level of skill, it ignites a desire to […]

Continue reading...

My Parenting Style: Claire Lim of HolyCrap.sg

featured_claire_.jpg

Once upon a time there were a brother and a sister who loved art. Together with their parents, they formed a local art collective called Holycrap.sg. “We (husband Pann Lim and herself) both love art, design, ideas, movies, music, and I suppose we knew no other way to raise our kids than through these disciplines,” said […]

Continue reading...

GIVEAWAY! Tickets to The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Eric Carle Favourites

Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-.jpg

For its 2016 Theatre Season, ACT 3 International is presenting a returning crowd favourite – The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Eric Carle Favourites by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia, Canada. This magical work of black light theatre brings together the beloved tales of award-winning children’s book illustrator and writer Eric Carle – The Very […]

Continue reading...

The Fastest Food Delivery Services in Singapore

En-Japanese-Dining-crop1.jpg

Warm food on the table in 30 minutes without having lift a finger? That’s a fantasy of mine that was recently realised when I discovered two new food delivery services in Singapore — Deliveroo, and Airship, Inc. Even better? They deliver food food, not just fast food, so the kids can have a proper meal in […]

Continue reading...

Pregnant? Here’s how You can make the most out of your Chinese New Year with the Bump!

woman-with-red-scarf.jpg

Crossing over into a new year is always exciting. After glitzy Christmas celebrations and crazy countdown parties, it’s time to prepare for the Chinese New Year (CNY). If you’re pregnant at this time, the festivities are even more memorable. Having celebrated Christmas 2015 pregnant and now stepping into 2016 with an even bigger belly, I am bent […]

Continue reading...

Run 350 by NTUC Income: What You Need to Know

rsz_1rsz_run-350-logo.jpg

Heard of the global 350 movement? Its purpose is to raise awareness of the urgent need to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to 350ppm. Why? That is the level which scientists believe is ideal for a inhabitable planet. What’s the current level of carbon dioxide in our Earth’s atmosphere? 400ppm. That’s […]

Continue reading...

Should You Exercise During Your Pregnancy?

rsz_pregnant-exercise-featured.jpg

It seems that when a woman gets pregnant, the general public opinion is that she should cut back on her exercise. Perhaps this is due to the perception that pregnant mothers shouldn’t over-exert themselves, exercise included. The truth is, exercise is just as important as nutrition and rest for your baby’s growth. However, people may […]

Continue reading...

Make a ‘Tai Mao Bi’ with Baby’s First Haircut

hand-on-baby-head-crop.jpg

In Chinese culture, families typically introduce their newborn to the world with a celebration to mark Baby’s first month. Some parents also choose to shave Baby’s head on that day, and have this foetal hair made into a Chinese calligraphy brush, which is known as ‘tai mao bi’. Many local celebrity parents such as Zoe […]

Continue reading...

6 Best Indoor Play Gyms for Toddlers in Singapore

ball-play-crop-1.jpg

Play gym for toddlers? Why not? At toddler stage, your little one has discovered the joy of independent activity. Already a master at crawling, he’s now added walking, running, and tumbling to his repertoire of movement. Experts tell us that physical activity helps trigger neuro activity, making movement the key to learning. But with homes […]

Continue reading...

Top 10 Family-friendly Hotels around Asia

Benoa-Beach.jpg

The first month of the year is over and yes, we’re thinking about holidays already. Who isn’t? But while choosing a destination is easy, finding the best place to stay, especially for a family, can be tricky. So we asked the travel experts at Expedia+ (whose member-only deals and seasonal bonus offers for members make signing up […]

Continue reading...

6 Mum-Friendly Co-working Spaces in Singapore

featured-image-Trehaus.jpg

Trehaus, Singapore’s first co-working space equipped with child-minding and learning facilities officially opened at Claymore Connect two days ago. Founded by working mothers Rachel Teo, Tjin Lee, Elaine Kim and educator Elizabeth Wu, the facility aims to change the landscape for working parents in Singapore by providing an environment where quality work and family life […]

Continue reading...

10 Postnatal Essentials – The Totally Unglam(orous) Edition!

rsz_istock_000071065497_double.jpg

As you cradle your newborn to your chest, look into her eyes and gently kiss her cheek, a wave of amazement will fill you. This tiny creature, this beautiful little thing whom you carried inside you for 40 weeks (give or take a few) is now in your arms. You would have read up about […]

Continue reading...

Yes, You Should Introduce Current Affairs to your Child. Here’s How.

newspaper-child-crop.jpg

One in three children aged 10 to 14 years old is not curious about world events. 74% of Singaporean teens do not read, watch, or listen to the news. Miranda Yeo of Join The Current, an educational literacy campaign to engage children aged 10 to 14 to develop an interest in current affairs, tells us how […]

Continue reading...

16 Creative March School Holiday (2016) Activities for Children in Singapore

fingerpainting.jpg

Let your child take a breather from anything academic this coming March school holiday, and get involved something fun, creative, and inspiring — like these activities! Enjoy Classical Music Award-winning violinist Ms. Tee Khoon Tang holds regular concerts for children. This time, she has two ‘’Beethoven Last Years’’ concerts designed for different age groups, featuring principal cellist […]

Continue reading...

My Parenting Style: Maya Thiagarajan, Author of Parenting Book, Beyond The Tiger Mom

Maya-Thiagaran-featured.jpg

Are you a “tiger mum”? Do you believe in raising your children in a traditional Chinese or East Asian manner? That means strict rules, tough love and discipline in order for your kids to succeed later in life. It is a mode of parenting that can be classified as neither good or bad, but it sure […]

Continue reading...

The New LEGO Movie 4D at LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort!

rsz_legolandarc2.jpg

Last Friday, I was part of a small group of members of the Singaporean media who were treated to the launch of “The LEGO Movie 4D: A New Adventure” at the LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort. Do the names Emmet, Wyldstyle, Unikitty, Metalbeard and Benny ring a bell? Yes – they were the stars of “The LEGO […]

Continue reading...

Dealing With Miscarriage

baby-shoes-crop.jpg

A miscarriage — defined as a pregnancy that fails to progress, resulting in the death and expulsion of the embroyo or foetus usually before 20 weeks of gestation — is one of the most painful experiences that a hopeful parent can experience. It’s not just physically draining; the emotional consequences can be shattering as well. Unfortunately, miscarriages are […]

Continue reading...

5 Financially-Savvy Super Mums in Singapore who inspire us this IWD

flower.jpg

International Women’s Day (IWD), which falls on 8th March, honors the achievements of women from all walks of life. We believe that motherhood is one of the more meaningful journeys that a woman can undertake in her lifetime so we’ve caught up with five financially-savvy super mums in Singapore who tread the fine balance between […]

Continue reading...

Full Moon Party Packs for Baby’s first Celebration!

Package-A-crop.jpg

The celebration that marks baby’s first month is probably one of the most important milestones in her brand new life. At the full moon (满月 or “man yue”) party, friends and relatives will be blessing her with baby gifts of red packets and jewelry, or practical baby necessities like diaper hampers, toiletries and the ever-useful gift vouchers. […]

Continue reading...

5 Super Mums in Singapore share their Parenting Tips this IWD!

mums.jpg

It’s International Women’s Day today! Take a break, grab a cuppa, sit back, relax, and tap into the mummy wisdom of these five Singaporean super mums. Ding Zhen Xin, 34, is a homeschooling mum and a social entrepreneur. She co-founded Preschool Market, a social enterprise that supports early childhood practitioners, children, and parents through meaningful projects. Zhen Xin is […]

Continue reading...

Toddler Tantrum Triggers (and Strategies to Solve them!)

No-boy-crop.jpg

Toddlerhood is of the most difficult periods for new parents. A large part of it is because of the infamous and frequent tantrums that children between the ages of one and four years seem to manifest on a regular basis. Because young children are still developing language skills, trying to communicate their needs and wants — and […]

Continue reading...

5 Child-Friendly Digital Artworks at Future World at The ArtScience Museum

rsz_connecting_train_block_-_future_world_at_artscience_museum_credit_to_marina_bay_sands.jpg

The ArtScience Museum at Marina Bay Sands is now home to an all new permanent exhibition, Future World: Where Art Meets Science! Expect to be bowled over by 15 digital art installations which have been co-curated with teamLab, a renowned...

Continue reading...

12 Free Learning Activities for Kids to Enjoy in Singapore All Year Round!

unspecified-9.jpeg

Children thrive on discovery and play. Born with an innate desire to explore and uncover, our children possess a sense of wonderment toward environment, and are intrigued by sights and sounds that enable them to comprehend this world they live in....

Continue reading...

How to Talk to your Child about Death

grief-toddler.jpg

In the first instalment of a three-part series, we discuss how we can talk to our children about death and dying. Here’s how you can start the conversation. When Will Lee, the actor who played Mr. Hooper on Sesame Street, died in 1982,...

Continue reading...

Ivan’s Meaningful Art of Speed Party at Playeum

ivan-family-picture.jpg

How can you make a birthday more meaningful? How about donating all your ‘angpow’ money to needy children? Cars and McQueen fan, Ivan Chong did just that when he celebrated his 6th birthday with an Art Of Speed party at...

Continue reading...

Back