Recommendation for private gynae in government hospital

sgdad2016

My wife and I are looking for a gynae. We have not seen any gynae yet.

As my wife is working in a government related company, she has subsidiary of 90% of total bill during delivery period (up to $12k) if she goes to a government hospital.

That is why we are considering government hospital if we can find a good gynae.

Also, it seems like we have to go 24 hours O&G for our first appointment even if we are private patient? Will the waiting time for subsequent visits be long for private patient in government hospital compared to private hospital?

Thanks in advance!

Good Morning sgdad2016,
Congrats!!

Since your wife has such benefit, of course make use of it. Haha.
The subsidy only covers delivery period only?

My suggestion is to go KKH (government hospital) as private patient, you may call up the hotline to make an appointment.

Based on my experience (I am not yet pregnant though) & my sister's experience
Pros of KKH:
- Fully equipped facilities
- Experienced staffs
- Lower costs as compared to private hospital

Cons of KKH:
- Waiting time is longer than private hospital
- More private patients = Gynae busy = less time on consultation = less explanation

Cheers :)

i was at mount E previously, normally the waiting time is 10mins if you come on the dot. then i change to a clinic nearer to my house, for detail scanning i need to go NUH, the waiting time is 45mins!!! my next detailed scan is next month, the receptionist told me to go early because is day after public holiday, i may need to wait for an hr or so *faint*

Hi pixie ng, can I confirm that the doctor will not be the one doing the scans?
Also, for your first visit as a private patient, do you have to go through 24-hour O&G as well?

Thanks!
i'm not private patient for NUH. my gynae is under gleneagles but he sent me to NUH for detailed scanning.
for normal visits, i will go to his clinic. only detailed scanning he sent me to NUH.

hi sgdad, im a private patient at SGH O & G, currently seeing Dr Chua, i would say im pretty satisfied with their service so far, the waiting time is around 10-20mins, there was only one time when Dr Chua went out for emergency surgery, that we had to wait for almost 45mins, but it usually is about 10-20mins. He's a very patient, soft spoken gynae, who answers all our questions without rushing. I visited Dr Loh at TMC once, he's very famous, but he seems like very rush as he has too many patients waiting for him outside, that's why we decided seeing Dr Chua from my colleague's recommendation.

I've delivered at both NUH and SGH. I highly recommend these two for deliveries. Things
to note:
1. Both have excellent delivery wards. Staff are as qualified as KKH.
2. SGH has a long history of maternal services, so it is established and professional in that way. BUT it has no pediatric service. If the newborn, for whatever reason, requires pediatric intervention, you will have to change hospitals.
3. NUH has very very comprehensive maternal AND pediatric medical services. The nursing staff are so-so but it is still overall a good hospital. This explains why certain patients from pte gynaes are referred to NUH for complex scans.
4. The waiting times really depends on your gynae. Busy/compassionate gynae, longer waiting time, even if you arrive on time.

With 3 of my pregnancies, I've always started as a B2 patient, subsequently switching to B1 prior to delivery (cost saving). Whilst the waiting time is definitely shorter as a pte paying patient, no guarantees that you will always be seen on time.

Hi

You might like to consider KKH. My gynae doctor is Dr John Tee. Normally, I choose to visit him in private suite. Shorter waiting time and cozier. Both pregnancies delivered by him.

Have encountered baby patients born in private hospitals being referred to KKH for further reviews or surgery. My advice is KKH as it has a long history of dealing with pregnancy and babies.

Back