Getting back to career path..

I will be doing this sometime soon. It will be difficult but i believe it can be done!

Which industry were you in before you took the break?

Engineering mostly..
how about you? how long were you away?

honestly, i am not sure if it's cos of the industry i'm trying to get back it, or it's because most employers would rather not have a mom who's been presumably out of touch for a while.

I had a career break for 5 years..not fun..I m back to workforce but finding hard to find another job despite interviews..can sense their concern is if we can work late..

Have you ladies tried to apply for a job from the Mums@Work website. I am not connected to them but ive signed up since 2013 coz i hoped i could go back working immediately then..

They have flexi, part time, full time, contract jobs on their list. If i were to guess, id say those companies may be more mommy-friendly. Although i have yet to see an ad that falls into the field that i used to work in. But hey, worth a try, right? :)

thanks for the advise Karoosel! Ok, will try to see if I can get something from there. Onsansg, did you go back to your previous company? Well at least you did manage to get back .. I've been trying for half a year, only 2 interviews so far, and nothing positive.

I am looking for part time jobs. Difficult...a lot of ad says part time admin, but never respond to my application. I definitely can't commit to full time. Isn't it tiring when you need to wake up early everyday to prepare young kid to childcare, then work till 6 and then rush back to fetch the kid? And this means we can't commit to ot. No employers will consider us. Plus as mothers, we also "work" on weekends/PH. Not much resting for us actually....it doesn't seem to me that Singapore companies are that willing to employ us....

I feel that for majority companies especially typical Local boss are one kind .
They are not undertanding enough to let us have flexible working hours even though we can deliver results.
Take my ex company for example, they have employed a new staff who has just delivered a bb few months ago and because the mummy need to pump milk every other 2 hours,my lady boss who is really a bitch fired her..( she is my boss 's gf anyway with no status...) my boss is in his sixtes while this gf is only in her thirties lol.
I think only mnc companies will allow such thing as work from home n flexible working hours ..

thought that i would just update.. there's been no info from mums@work after i applied.. :( It's been a week.
I was from MNCs. But it's been a good half a decade away and I think it's hard to even try to pull strings to get back since some of the folks are not even there anymore.. :(

Hi lushvelvet, I could not get back to my ex company where I gave birth before,career break..seriously, I still feel sad as having to start rock bottom in new places knowing could not get back to where,I was (though not glamorous but a satisfied job role then)..

btw, besides Mums@work, you all can also try http://www.careermums.com.sg. This is also a website with part time/flexi-hr/work-from-home...etc jobs for mothers.

actually I'm wondering these companies which place job ad in these types of websites, do they have any "obligations" to employ only mothers? my personal opinion is they are not required to do so....at most only say first priority is mothers. Because I notice there are some companies which advertise in these types of websites, and they also place ad in other "common" job sites. So this could mean the positions are open to anyone. Then compare to mothers like me who need to fetch kids from childcare (meaning I can't commit to ot), those who don't have such family commitments will be better right.....:(

Hi mummies, I also plan to leave soon after I deliver as workplace is too far and I feel I am not going anywhere in my current job. However,I can't stay jobless for too long and wonder what your advice would be? TIA.

Hi mummies, I also plan to leave soon after I deliver as workplace is too far and I feel I am not going anywhere in my current job. However,I can't stay jobless for too long and wonder what your advice would be? TIA.
u have 4 months maternity leave, so after your confinement you can go for interview....

for me, i plan to quit my job and be SAHM.. my boss already know my plan and even discuss when will be my last day next year... so when he hire a replacement for my maternity leave, he can find someone that is able to convert to perm staff.

Hi lushvelvet, I could not get back to my ex company where I gave birth before,career break..seriously, I still feel sad as having to start rock bottom in new places knowing could not get back to where,I was (though not glamorous but a satisfied job role then)..

Seriously, i'm looking at entry roles now too. I can't help but realise that, for the entry roles, comparing to the fresh grads, our category is really unattractive. Argh. It's quite depressing to realise that regardless of whatever degrees or experience we boast in our CV, it still seems so futile.

Mummychoy, mums@work got back, actually, their listing is the same as careermums. You're right, i do think these positions aren't exclusively meant for mothers, it's basically open for anyone who is looking for part time work arrangements. However, mums@work only has the category or enabling part time work, or entrepreneurship. They do provide platforms for networking for entrepreneurs. Not quite the category of mums who just want to go back to work normally.

Why should mothers be stereotyped as the lesser worker in terms of commitments?

because most of the time mum is the one will take urgent leave if children is sick / childcare not open and they also not willing to OT because need to cook dinner & do housework

glad to know i'm not the only one who's facing a fix about being back to work after birth. if i resign, $ no enough. i'm working fulltime plus do sideline opportunities... if anyone interested, i can share what i'm doing.

i also signed up with the careermums and momsatwork but most not suitable :T

looking for a job is a full-time job!

I share the same woes too. I have to work part time to get subsidies for childcare. Part time in warehouse packing, very dusty, have to go constant facial. Sigh.

Hello mummies! My new job is flexible working hrs. I go into office ard 3x a week for a few hrs then i fit in a few appt a week. This allows me to stil send n pick my elder girl to sch(p1) n do sm daily revision with her. It is sales based but there is a fixed monthly allowance for the first year. Anyone keen to know more, pls Pm me.

So, did anyone manage to get a part time job through Mums@work or other sites quoted here? Not multi-level marketing, or franchise deals, etc, but really a part time work from home professional job.

Same woe too ...

I resigned recently coz my caretakers moved away n conincidentally at the same time my kid needs helps wif her sch work.

My mornings r free. Afternoon i ned to fetch my kids fr sch. Been looking for pt job n even applied but no news to date. I tink they rather hire students who r young n hv no comittment. Honestly. How do u keep yr chin up?

I cannot even give my parents allowance now.

If we work pt .. we still hv childcare subsidy?

Hi mummies, happen to come across this thread, anyone staying at cck or yew tee, can pm me for details on day job at a food kiosk, serving, cashiering etc

Back