Prof PC Wong - IVF with Norethisterone

Hi @cheeka. I caved in and eventually went to see Dr Chew this morning. Doc said it is minor ohss. He suggested an albumin iv drip which is a substance which sort of pulls the nutrients where it's supposed to be i.e to the bloodstream rather than it being free flowing. Otherwise I can wait it out cos he said it'll get better in 3-4 days time. Been reading about albumin since I got back. It seems to work like electrolytes like 100plus and nothing much else. I might decide to wait it out and Dr Chew is fine w it too.

So no blood test yet yeah?

have a safe delivery yah. c-sec? Or will try natural? Which hospital?

I just met prof last week, and did progesterone blood test. Will probably do FET in Nov/Dec. Not sure yet... will review after blood test result is out.
What's the purpose of progesterone blood test? I nv done that before

have a safe delivery yah. c-sec? Or will try natural? Which hospital?

I just met prof last week, and did progesterone blood test. Will probably do FET in Nov/Dec. Not sure yet... will review after blood test result is out.
With prof Biswas at NUH.. He seems pro-natural, esp for 1st timers.
Thought I will just stick to NUH cos I still have snowbbs, will go back for FET next yr, good to have all my records at one place.

What's the purpose of progesterone blood test? I nv done that before
Prof said the blood test would give an idea whether i ovulate naturally, so can do natural FET. Otherwise, it will be medicated FET.

How's Prof Biswas? Does he personally scan you at every visit? I was with another gynae in NUH, but s/he never scanned me at all. All scanning is done at Fetal Care Centre, despite being a private patient. So i wonder if it is the usual practice at NUH.

Prof said the blood test would give an idea whether i ovulate naturally, so can do natural FET. Otherwise, it will be medicated FET.

How's Prof Biswas? Does he personally scan you at every visit? I was with another gynae in NUH, but s/he never scanned me at all. All scanning is done at Fetal Care Centre, despite being a private patient. So i wonder if it is the usual practice at NUH.
I see. Which day of the cycle should we do progesterone blood test?

Im not sure whether the price difference is huge. Maybe you can ask the nurses. Do you do your scans at women's clinic or at clinic G? I understand how you feel. I started as subsidised patient at clinic G, but felt uncomfortable becos of the different doctors every time. That's why I switched to private.
My initial scanning and test were all done in clinic G. After starting the ivf program, all are done in CHR clinic. i went to the women clinic once that is to have prof go ahead for ivf.

Does anyone felt stomach cramp and tired after injecting gonaf?

Hi there

Does anyone know what is norethistherone? The nurses mentioned that I had to take this the month before I embark on my IVF cycle but I'm not sure what are its uses and side effects if any...

@pammm I had the same concern when I embarked on my first fresh cycle. My guess is... it is a type of progesterone pill to time/schedule the menses. Because if CHR wait for our menses to come naturally, the timing of our menses might be too unpredictable, and it would ultimately impact on the availability of Prof or the resources. This is just my guess though. Don't worry, I didn't have any side effects and same goes for most of the other ladies. From what I read, it can also be used to delay menses, say, if one is going on a holiday. Menses would come only when the pills are stopped.

@cowmoomoo I didnt feel any cramp le, just that I remember running out of space on my tummy to jab... :)
I felt so tired and bloated with the injections.

Had my second scan and doctor says E2 very low for day 5. And need to increase Gonal and tomorrow with another cystinone injection. That needle looks scary!

@pammm I had the same concern when I embarked on my first fresh cycle. My guess is... it is a type of progesterone pill to time/schedule the menses. Because if CHR wait for our menses to come naturally, the timing of our menses might be too unpredictable, and it would ultimately impact on the availability of Prof or the resources. This is just my guess though. Don't worry, I didn't have any side effects and same goes for most of the other ladies. From what I read, it can also be used to delay menses, say, if one is going on a holiday. Menses would come only when the pills are stopped.

Yes I have similar worries too and don't like to rely on medication. But no choice, once embarking the ivf, there are more and more medications to come. So I choose not to read too much on the side effects

@cheeka Thank you for sharing! I was just talking to DH last night and I asked him what happens if my period comes in mid Dec and ER falls on the Christmas PH and weekend. I believe they don do ER on PH or weekends so I was afraid they might postpone the cycle? Haha

Hi the embryologist called me and inform me that my ER is scheduled on this sat and she says the CHR nurse will let me know the time for the procedure. Till today i havent receive any call from CHR, usually when should i receive the call from CHR?

Hi the embryologist called me and inform me that my ER is scheduled on this sat and she says the CHR nurse will let me know the time for the procedure. Till today i havent receive any call from CHR, usually when should i receive the call from CHR?

Usually by today they shld be telling u the time.. cos u have to fast 12 hours before the procedure..

Wait for the call tom. They shld call in the morning...

U mean Occyte retrieval or embryo transfer? If it's retrieval then embryologist won't call u right, only transfer then embryologist will call u to update u on embryo status? If it's transfer then no need to fast

Hi all

I have just transferred myself from subsidies to private patient. I have met doc lim and his trainee doctor, an ang mo lady.... So far i dont have too good experience with them, as i find doctor lim is taking me as a patient to study and let trainee doctor to hands on the iui despite egg size may not have mature. I never had egg size that grow beyond 15mm, but when he and the trainee doctor scanned me on day 14, they mentioned i got an egg size of 18mm. I was then given trigger shot and was asked to return for iui 24 hrs later on a saturday morning. Doctor lim is not around on sat. Another indian doctor took over, overseeing this doctor for the iui. She could not do the iui procedure despite a trying for a long time. Later the lady doctor overseeing her took over. I suffered from urine infection after it. Needless to say, i failed the cycle and moving on to ivf soon.

I am so worry that i will be their patient to study and practise hands on again. The ivf cycle will be a even more stressful one and i would like to have responsible experience doctor to montior and do the job as we are the one undergoing all the jabs, all the hormones going into body and our time & money spent...

Hi all

I have just transferred myself from subsidies to private patient. I have met doc lim and his trainee doctor, an ang mo lady.... So far i dont have too good experience with them, as i find doctor lim is taking me as a patient to study and let trainee doctor to hands on the iui despite egg size may not have mature. I never had egg size that grow beyond 15mm, but when he and the trainee doctor scanned me on day 14, they mentioned i got an egg size of 18mm. I was then given trigger shot and was asked to return for iui 24 hrs later on a saturday morning. Doctor lim is not around on sat. Another indian doctor took over, overseeing this doctor for the iui. She could not do the iui procedure despite a trying for a long time. Later the lady doctor overseeing her took over. I suffered from urine infection after it. Needless to say, i failed the cycle and moving on to ivf soon.

I am so worry that i will be their patient to study and practise hands on again. The ivf cycle will be a even more stressful one and i would like to have responsible experience doctor to montior and do the job as we are the one undergoing all the jabs, all the hormones going into body and our time & money spent...
Sorry to hear that..I understand where you are coming from..you want to feel comfortable and confident with the doctor handing your case. So when you coverted to private, did u chose the doctor?

I personally like Prof Wong..he is man of few words but I trust him and know he is concentrating and doing what he needs to do when he sees me. He may not be always available but if you are doing IVF you can check the doctors availability

Recommend that you attend the IVF seminar if you are doing it for the first time - it will cover all your questions and more..and best to go with your hubby. And I liked the counseling - again went with hubby and found that psychologist checked out readiness and gave useful advice..

Best of Luck!

Hi all

Sorry to hear abt ur traumatic experience. Actually I'm quite curious why did u choose Dr Lim as pvte patient? Usually the famous ivf Dr in nuh is prof... if not is Dr Anu or Dr chew. I never had experience of trainee drs when I'm under either of this 3.

As for uti, unfortunately it's one of those things that can happen in ivf or iui due to a lot of scanning via below... I myself also kenna during my ivf cycle.

Sorry to hear abt ur traumatic experience. Actually I'm quite curious why did u choose Dr Lim as pvte patient? Usually the famous ivf Dr in nuh is prof... if not is Dr Anu or Dr chew. I never had experience of trainee drs when I'm under either of this 3.

As for uti, unfortunately it's one of those things that can happen in ivf or iui due to a lot of scanning via below... I myself also kenna during my ivf cycle.
I'm half way through the cycle, am a subsidized patient. One day will be dr chew with the Ang mo lady and China understudy doctor. The next day is the Indian lady. Every visit is different doctor. got frustrated and don't think am able to Change to private mid point. dont even know who will do my embryo retrieval. hope everything goes smoothly.

Hi all

Hi tweetjojo, may I know when you did your iui? This angmo lady I notice everytime is uncertain too.

Hello! Just wanted to say hi to everyone here, I just discovered this forum.

On my 1st thaw cycle with Prof PC Wong, just started Progynova. Anyone know how they use the blood test to determine when to start Progynova?

Lots of baby dust to all of you!!!

Hi all

Sorry to hear your experience. I know ivf is difficult journey, So if money is not an issue, preferably go private is Better. Nevertheless, not everyone may have the finances, so subsidised route is also fine.

Hello! Just wanted to say hi to everyone here, I just discovered this forum.

On my 1st thaw cycle with Prof PC Wong, just started Progynova. Anyone know how they use the blood test to determine when to start Progynova?

Lots of baby dust to all of you!!!
Hi hi... welcome. Im not sure what is progynova. So u started this Progy thingy on which cycle day? When is expected ET?

Hi my tww offically starts yesterday. This is my first fresh, when should i expect my menses to come if its BFN
Actually can't tell. Some had spotting (onset of menses) before the blood test. Some later because of the progesterone support. When is your blood test?

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. Will be dropping by to share my experience too. Hope all of us can have our dream comes true soon.

Hi Sonystar, chlore_ng & cheeka,

Yes, i have chosen doctor chew. Initially we wanted professor wong to go thru the whole ivf process too. But he will be on one week leave in november. That week most probably i will be receiving stimulation jabs and scanning + blood test. So, during his absence, either doctor chew or doc Anu will be covering. So, we thought might as well just choose doctor chew to follow thru the whole ivf process. *hopefully he won't go on leave suddenly*

After chosen and waiting for the appointment, i read somewhere that doc lim will also cover doc chew? Thats where my fear comes in again...

Actually i'm not sure will our eggs / embryos be studied and "disturbed" by all the students in the lab or not.... Mayb that's also one of the ways how embryos go through the "harsh" environment in lab and those really strong one will then survive on day 5... We are already seeing a number of trainee doctors in the clinic G (hopefully not in women clinic anymore....), i guess definately there will be some students in the lab learning the fertilisation, etc too.

Hi Emma 1302,

I did my natural cycle iui in July.

Just a random thought, does anyone feel that there's more BFP cases at kkh ivf? Or is it just because there's much more sisters with kkh than nuh?

My friend is asking me to try with kkh next round.. But it seems like the waiting time is very long over there and the scans are done by sonographer instead by your own dr.

Anyone has any thoughts abt this?

Just a random thought, does anyone feel that there's more BFP cases at kkh ivf? Or is it just because there's much more sisters with kkh than nuh?

My friend is asking me to try with kkh next round.. But it seems like the waiting time is very long over there and the scans are done by sonographer instead by your own dr.

Anyone has any thoughts abt this?
Mathematically speaking, yes, more patients at KKH=more bfps.. Just like more patients seeing TSB=more bfps :) IMHO
Unless u have tried a few rounds at NUH with no luck then it'd be gd to jump ship to try a different protocol/lab/dr.
I've only heard people jumping from KKH to NUH, seldom the other way round. I persuaded a few to switch to NUH, so far they all say NUH service really much better.

If U girls search on the engine of smh ivf thread. U will noticed only NUH have post on problem retrieving eggs as in high ovary etc. Kkh has never mention a problem with not retrieving the eggs.

If U girls search on the engine of smh ivf thread. U will noticed only NUH have post on problem retrieving eggs as in high ovary etc. Kkh has never mention a problem with not retrieving the eggs.
I supposed there's really a limit to how far the probe can reach the ovary.

There could be a possibility that kkh didn't inform the patient that she has high ovary which can't be reached?

Mathematically speaking, yes, more patients at KKH=more bfps.. Just like more patients seeing TSB=more bfps :) IMHO
Unless u have tried a few rounds at NUH with no luck then it'd be gd to jump ship to try a different protocol/lab/dr.
I've only heard people jumping from KKH to NUH, seldom the other way round. I persuaded a few to switch to NUH, so far they all say NUH service really much better.
Looking at what the sisters at kkh posted abt the service, it really sound like nuh has better human touch.

Hi All,
A point of view from me. I have been to both kkh and nuh. I would say kkh is crowded because there are indeed many couples going there. The nurses are busy, so unlikely to talk to us in a slow mode. Overall they are still efficient and good and still caring. While nuh no doubt has a lesser crowd hence, more time can be spend on the patient. Maybe you can see which doctor you are comfortable with and if the protocols fit you plus any special recommendation from frds. Last but not least whether which hospital is conventient for your work place or home. Overall, both hospital has good nurses and doctors. And i do agreed with rememberRainbow that the probability does apply.

Looking at what the sisters at kkh posted abt the service, it really sound like nuh has better human touch.

I agree too. Like my case, i did IvF twice in kkh.. now comparing with NuH myself n hubby also regret much y we din chose nuh in the first place..

Kkh- nurses n doc hardly see to u personally, scans done by sonographer not our doc.. too many questions unanswered.. they don explain much abt the size of follicles etc..

Nuh- quieter, and more personalised.. med r diff, i feel so cared for...

But den its indivudual's preference...

Hi All,
A point of view from me. I have been to both kkh and nuh. I would say kkh is crowded because there are indeed many couples going there. The nurses are busy, so unlikely to talk to us in a slow mode. Overall they are still efficient and good and still caring. While nuh no doubt has a lesser crowd hence, more time can be spend on the patient. Maybe you can see which doctor you are comfortable with and if the protocols fit you plus any special recommendation from frds. Last but not least whether which hospital is conventient for your work place or home. Overall, both hospital has good nurses and doctors. And i do agreed with rememberRainbow that the probability does apply.
Nuh is nearer to my home and kkh is nearer to my workplace :p

Anyway not doing another round so soon.. Just trying to gather some infor before the next cycle :)

I agree too. Like my case, i did IvF twice in kkh.. now comparing with NuH myself n hubby also regret much y we din chose nuh in the first place..

Kkh- nurses n doc hardly see to u personally, scans done by sonographer not our doc.. too many questions unanswered.. they don explain much abt the size of follicles etc..

Nuh- quieter, and more personalised.. med r diff, i feel so cared for...

But den its indivudual's preference...
What's the entire process in kkh? Do u mind sharing? From the first dr visit to decide on ivf all the way to BT?

What's the entire process in kkh? Do u mind sharing? From the first dr visit to decide on ivf all the way to BT?

Firstly a session with the doc if no preference by cash or cc
Get all blood test n sperm test again..by cash or cc
Counselling
Den the nurses take charge u wont see doc again.
First menses call them.. to start medication.
Den 2nd visit to doc to review.

Den sonographers takes charge..
Their pen is reusable.. not like nuh.. u use u throw..

Till then when u ready for or, trigger injection is done at emergency if after office hours.

Den, u pay insurance by cheque.

Embrologist update u. If good proceed to embryo transfer..

They don ask if u like single bed or suite like NUH.

Den after that collect the supports.. den 2ww.. nurses dont check on u.. u r on yr own. Bt -proceed as scheduled. Nurse call n inform u. Den doc review after 1 week.

Quite cold..

Counselling

Till then when u ready for or, trigger injection is done at emergency if after office hours.

Den after that collect the supports.. den 2ww.. nurses dont check on u.. u r on yr own. Bt -proceed as scheduled. Nurse call n inform u. Den doc review after 1 week.

Quite cold..
What do u mean by the pen is reusable? What pen were u refering to?

So now you're with nuh? Under which dr?

Hello, may i ask why trigger shot has to be done at emergency? Cannot self inject?

I do agree to some extend, after all every time i go nuh, is different doctor, I didn't know the cost of switching to prof since I'm a subsidized patient. Went through half way and no point in switching too.

Counselling

Quite cold..

Hello, may i ask why trigger shot has to be done at emergency? Cannot self inject?

I do agree to some extend, after all every time i go nuh, is different doctor, I didn't know the cost of switching to prof since I'm a subsidized patient. Went through half way and no point in switching too.
From what I know, kkh trigger shot is through IM, thus need to be done by nurse/dr

Hello ladies, I just seen the doctor , she said that they can help me retrieve on Monday but because I have about 30 follicles, and they are worried of OHSS. So recommendation is not to proceed with ET. Very upsetting. :( do I have to seek second opinion for this or just go with doctor recommendation?

Back