IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hihi, just popping by to share my experience. My appointment was in July and I started my cycle in September, so I guess the usual waiting time is 2 months for ivf. Now on 2ww. Meanwhile, take this period to nourish your body and prepare mentally for the scary part (injections).

I took duphaston to induce menses and am in tremendous pain today. Af cramps but no sight of af. Took painkillers and rolling in bed. Hope won't have to be admitted as af is always gets me hospitalized. It's the adeno condition that makes the womb swollen during af tat bring abt so much pain. Fingers crossed.

Hihi, just popping by to share my experience. My appointment was in July and I started my cycle in September, so I guess the usual waiting time is 2 months for ivf. Now on 2ww. Meanwhile, take this period to nourish your body and prepare mentally for the scary part (injections).

All the best on your 2ww wishing you a BFP on your test day.

Injections scared me to death but I guess my dream of having a baby someday would give me enough courage to do it all over again.

All the best on your 2ww wishing you a BFP on your test day.

Injections scared me to death but I guess my dream of having a baby someday would give me enough courage to do it all over again.

Thanks Camilla008.

From D2 onwards, injection of 1 to 3 per day as prescribed, but not to worry, the needles used are very fine so pain will be minimum. Inject on area with thicker fats so there is no feel at all! (Based on my personal experience) :)

Baby dust to all courageous women out there!

I took duphaston to induce menses and am in tremendous pain today. Af cramps but no sight of af. Took painkillers and rolling in bed. Hope won't have to be admitted as af is always gets me hospitalized. It's the adeno condition that makes the womb swollen during af tat bring abt so much pain. Fingers crossed.

*hugs* I hate adeno! It gave me horrible cramps too. :-( are u taking any painkillers?

Thanks Camilla008.

From D2 onwards, injection of 1 to 3 per day as prescribed, but not to worry, the needles used are very fine so pain will be minimum. Inject on area with thicker fats so there is no feel at all! (Based on my personal experience) :)

Yes all the best for us all
Stay positive and update us.

Thanks Camilla008.

Hi BlossomGirl. All the best & rooting for you to get BFP this cycle so we can grab baby dust from u! Jia you!

Thanks, hope next month af would go back to normal again.
AF this cycle may be off but usually a fresh ivf cycle can start upon your next af, which seem to be likely in Nov. don't worry too much. Focus on getting your body healthy so that it can recover soon naturally. All the best!

Dearie, sorry that this is so hard on you. hope the pain subside soon. Take care. Hugs

Hey fellow ivf-ers
I'm new here and just had a failed fresh cycle late last mth
Started to have "period" like bleeding / spotting just a week after our day 3 transfer. Went for early BT (think 11 days after transfer) and was told it's BFN (hcg less than 1.2) and to stop the hormones pills
"Period" lasted 10 days but not heavy like the usual period
Then it stopped for around a week and yesterday I started to have brown / red spotting, I thought my period is finally here but it was very light (50 cents coin size from yesterday till tdy, mostly only visible when wiped) and then nothing again!?
It's been around 2 weeks since I stopped the hormones pills
Until now, I don't know if my period has started or??
And I have been having some distinctive symptoms these couple of days that left me really confused. I have been pregnant twice before and have a 3yo
We haven't bd since the cycle
Do you think my blood test could have been a false negative, maybe late implantation etc and I may be pregnant actually
Its driving me nuts and I don't know if I might be delusional but I just felt strongly I'm pregnant right now if not for the negative blood test 2 weeks ago
Pls help!

Last edited:
For those of you who failed the cycle, I heard that your cycle will go haywire
Do you have your period (like your previous menstruation in terms of volume and duration) after you stopped the hormones pills?
Is it normal to spot and stop for a while then spot and stop again?

Last edited:
For those of you who failed the cycle, I heard that your cycle will go haywire
Do you have your normal period after you stopped the hormones pills?
Is it normal to spot and stop then spot and stop?
Hi oldhen15. I understand the worry as I had exactly the same situation after failed 2nd fresh cycle in June. I was on long protocol for that cycle so the hormone med overload upsetted my natural cycle. I was so scared by the 3rd round of spotting 2 weeks later that I made urgent appt to see doc.

Doc did a scan to check if there is any cyst or internal abnormalities causing the bleeding. Luckily none so confirmed was just body being upset by the hormone meds and responding haywire with inter-menstrual bleeding. Doc precribed Noristherone pills (which mimic progesterone) to reset menstrual cycle. Menses expected to start upon stopping the pills after taking for 2 weeks. Since there was no problem based on the scan, I decided not to take more hormone meds and instead let my body recover naturally with help of my TCM doc. My menstrual cycle recovered within the same month with heavier flow than usual but feels much better to 'clean' out the remains of previous cycle. Thereafter periods back to regular timing.

I think it will be good to consult doc first in any case to confirm any cause for concern with the bleeding. Only then you will know what needs to be done. Don't worry too much. Must take care and hope all goes well for you. Jia you!

Hey fellow ivf-ers
I'm new here and just had a failed fresh cycle late last mth
Started to have "period" like bleeding / spotting just a week after our day 3 transfer. Went for early BT (think 11 days after transfer) and was told it's BFN (hcg less than 1.2) and to stop the hormones pills
"Period" lasted 10 days but not heavy like the usual period
Then it stopped for around a week and yesterday I started to have brown / red spotting, I thought my period is finally here but it was very light (50 cents coin size from yesterday till tdy, mostly only visible when wiped) and then nothing again!?
It's been around 2 weeks since I stopped the hormones pills
Until now, I don't know if my period has started or??
And I have been having some distinctive symptoms these couple of days that left me really confused. I have been pregnant twice before and have a 3yo
We haven't bd since the cycle
Do you think my blood test could have been a false negative, maybe late implantation etc and I may be pregnant actually
Its driving me nuts and I don't know if I might be delusional but I just felt strongly I'm pregnant right now if not for the negative blood test 2 weeks ago
Pls help!
do you want to try hpt first?

Hi oldhen15. I understand the worry as I had exactly the same situation after failed 2nd fresh cycle in June. I was on long protocol for that cycle so the hormone med overload upsetted my natural cycle. I was so scared by the 3rd round of spotting 2 weeks later that I made urgent appt to see doc.

Doc did a scan to check if there is any cyst or internal abnormalities causing the bleeding. Luckily none so confirmed was just body being upset by the hormone meds and responding haywire with inter-menstrual bleeding. Doc precribed Noristherone pills (which mimic progesterone) to reset menstrual cycle. Menses expected to start upon stopping the pills after taking for 2 weeks. Since there was no problem based on the scan, I decided not to take more hormone meds and instead let my body recover naturally with help of my TCM doc. My menstrual cycle recovered within the same month with heavier flow than usual but feels much better to 'clean' out the remains of previous cycle. Thereafter periods back to regular timing.

I think it will be good to consult doc first in any case to confirm any cause for concern with the bleeding. Only then you will know what needs to be done. Don't worry too much. Must take care and hope all goes well for you. Jia you!

Hi dawnbb

Thanks for replying
So you have 3 rounds of spotting?
May I know if you experience any symptoms with your spotting?
I have very tender (sore and heavy feeling) breast for a few days
I don't have tender breast during my normal menstruation. I only ever recalled feeling this way when my breast felt engorged after I gave birth. There are other distinctive symptoms too

Hi dawnbb

Thanks for replying
So you have 3 rounds of spotting?
May I know if you experience any symptoms with your spotting?
I have very tender (sore and heavy feeling) breast for a few days
I don't have tender breast during my normal menstruation. I only ever recalled feeling this way when my breast felt engorged after I gave birth. There are other distinctive symptoms too

First round started before BT and very light though I thought was AF. It stopped then bleeding again almost 1 week later but heavier like normal AF. Then 3rd lighter than AF spotting started a few days after 2nd bleeding stopped.

I do not have much PMS for my normal natural cycles and at most feel very tired for one or two days. For ivf, esp fresh cycles, I will however have very sore and swollen breasts, minor cramps for about 2 days usually a few days after ER and may feel very tired. For recent 3rd fresh cycle, I even had many visible huge bluish veins extending from nipples to neck. All symptoms usually took one to 2 weeks to subside after failed fresh cycle.

For all fresh ICSI so far, I started spotting before BT but BFN. So I realized it's the way my body responded to the progesterone med. the nurse said the visible veins likely because of the aspirin added to the last cycle causing enhanced blood flow. It also caused AF to come earlier before the BT but doc confirmed it's normal as long as the progesterone blood test 1 week after ER shows normal. It just means blood flow is good and body is responsive to drop in progesterone when no implantation.

That said, whenever spotting before BT, I would always inform the clinic and they would give progesterone shot but they will not test earlier than 15 days post ER. Once the BT on 15 day post ER is negative, they are very sure that there's no pregnancy. if your clinic tested before 15day post ER, you may want to do hpt just to be sure. Either way, I would still consult doc coz if positive, need to get pregnancy support jabs and med, if negative, I would still want to confirm nothing abnormal causing the spotting or bleeding.

This is my personal experience. Don't worry to much. The best is to consult doc to settle all your doubts & get advice what needs to be done. Hope things go well for you. Hugs

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Just wanna ask if anyone of you had experience having AF just 3 days after cancelled FET?

Right after the nurse rang me that i dont have usable embryo and my FET would be abandon she told me to stop taking progyNOVA(estradiol valerate) and so i did. Then after 3days got my menses, it should be due on the 15th of october in my usual cycle but now it just 4th of oct.

TIA
Hi yours was supposed which day transfer ? Day3 or day 5?

@oldhen15, I also want to add that the inter-menstrual spotting/bleeding I had was only for 2nd cycle when I tried long protocol for first time. I didn't have the same issue for short protocol cycles just always spotting before BT. Latest short protocol cycle, also spotted before BT but became AF flow a few days later.

AF this cycle may be off but usually a fresh ivf cycle can start upon your next af, which seem to be likely in Nov. don't worry too much. Focus on getting your body healthy so that it can recover soon naturally. All the best!

Yup will continue yoga and considering acupuncture before fresh cycle. Have you tried acupuncture before?

@oldhen15, I also want to add that the inter-menstrual spotting/bleeding I had was only for 2nd cycle when I tried long protocol for first time. I didn't have the same issue for short protocol cycles just always spotting before BT. Latest short protocol cycle, also spotted before BT but became AF flow a few days later.

Thank you dawnbb
We had a short protocol
I didn't experience much symptoms after the retrieval and transfer
Only started having these symptoms these 3-4 days
Had backaches and intermittent pain (not cramps) on my lower left abdomen
My mind just been running wild

Last edited:
Yup will continue yoga and considering acupuncture before fresh cycle. Have you tried acupuncture before?

Yes. I started acupuncture in Jan'15 after 1st fresh ICSI which failed and am still continuing. tho i'm still waiting to get my BFP, I feel tcm has helped to keep my body balance and better able to cope and recover very quickly from the overload of hormone meds in each cycle. Also the weekly sessions help as a check to maintain my health in optimal condition. sometimes if required, doc may suggest twice weekly sessions and/or use more intensive or various methods esp in between ivf cycles. During ivf cycles, we usually tone down the intensity and stop taking tcm med/herbs.

I had inter-menstrual bleeding after 2nd fresh icsi in May/June. TCM has help me to recover naturally within the same month without having to rely on otherwise more hormone meds. thereafter my period become very regular, even better than previously. I also seen the best results in eggs qty and quality so far in my latest cycle tho of course any factors in combination has helped.

Not everyone feels tcm is helpful. if trying to keep up with the appt becomes stressful then it can be counter effective. Also the downside is it's expensive, esp with tcm meds.

Thank you dawnbb
We had a short protocol
I didn't experience much symptoms after the retrieval and transfer
Only started having these symptoms these 3-4 days
Had backaches and intermittent pain (not cramps) on my lower left abdomen
My mind just been running wild
Now that you mentioned I recalled my first fresh cycle I did have throbbing soreness in my left lower abdomen. The ER was rough & I had mild ohss. I had uneven follicles growth so got many small ones which were harder to retrieve & I was still spotting on day of transfer. 1 wk after af, I had first BD and after that, left ovary site felt sore and I started spotting. I just made urgent appt to get checked by doc the next day.

There could be many reasons for pain & bleeding. Everyone has different conditions and response so really hard to pinpoint without proper doc advice. It could be nothing but could also be something that needs to be treated. Don't wonder too much. I would say just go and get checked by doc. The peace of mind you will get with doc confirming what it is is worth it.

Stay positive and take good care.

*hugs* I hate adeno! It gave me horrible cramps too. :-( are u taking any painkillers?
Yes dear I took painkillers and slept from 5pm yest till this morning. Af seems to have arrived. Spotting not full flow. Will call kkh for appt. Officially started fet. Kind of anxious. After my mc in June I had light flow in July and Aug Sep no af. So induced now for fet.

Yes dear I took painkillers and slept from 5pm yest till this morning. Af seems to have arrived. Spotting not full flow. Will call kkh for appt. Officially started fet. Kind of anxious. After my mc in June I had light flow in July and Aug Sep no af. So induced now for fet.

Good morning sisters! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I would like to bear some good news... I went for ultrasound scan on Friday and saw bb heartbeat. Doctor said bb heartbeat is strong so she has reduced my support medicine intake to once a day instead of 3 times a day. But I am to continue my weekly BT and see her again in 3 weeks' time.

Anyway, doctor was pleased that I did well in this fresh cycle. Even though I told her I changed my diet, did acupuncture, she wasn't impressed. Haha... She thinks it's the new technology. Ok, I had this thing called embryogen. I don't really know what it is and when I googled, it is only an explanation of embryo growth. Doctor ordered embryogen for me this time round. She said it is to help with the growth of the embryo. What they put or do, I don't know. So sisters who are going through the cycle, you may want to ask your doctors.

Jiayou everyone!

Hi Camilla008, did your embroyist explain to u why they put in D3 transfer? My ET was on D2, so I was wondering if there is any difference in such arrangement?

Hi BlossomGirl, no they did not explain anything. But whether its D3 or D2 we really cannot tell the outcome. Just be positive, dont stress yourself everything will be alright.

Yes. I started acupuncture in Jan'15 after 1st fresh ICSI which failed and am still continuing. tho i'm still waiting to get my BFP, I feel tcm has helped to keep my body balance and better able to cope and recover very quickly from the overload of hormone meds in each cycle. Also the weekly sessions help as a check to maintain my health in optimal condition. sometimes if required, doc may suggest twice weekly sessions and/or use more intensive or various methods esp in between ivf cycles. During ivf cycles, we usually tone down the intensity and stop taking tcm med/herbs.

I had inter-menstrual bleeding after 2nd fresh icsi in May/June. TCM has help me to recover naturally within the same month without having to rely on otherwise more hormone meds. thereafter my period become very regular, even better than previously. I also seen the best results in eggs qty and quality so far in my latest cycle tho of course any factors in combination has helped.

Not everyone feels tcm is helpful. if trying to keep up with the appt becomes stressful then it can be counter effective. Also the downside is it's expensive, esp with tcm meds.

I am too waiting for a BFP which i do not know when gonna happen...
I heard TCM very expensive so will gonna choice bet. acupuncture or tcm but cannot be both, our savings all down the drain.

Im just new here and cannot track old post, if you dont mind me asking how you handle BFN? Cause for me its like end of the world...i know its crazy but my heart cannot handle it!

Then after failed cycle, decided to do FET..so afraid it would end up negative but it was over before we even started it. Out FET cancelled due to no thaw, not even 1 embryo from the 3 frozen we have was usable .

Heartbreaker! This and everything!
But we cannot just let go of our dreams because of that must move forward and try again right?

I am too waiting for a BFP which i do not know when gonna happen...
I heard TCM very expensive so will gonna choice bet. acupuncture or tcm but cannot be both, our savings all down the drain.

Im just new here and cannot track old post, if you dont mind me asking how you handle BFN? Cause for me its like end of the world...i know its crazy but my heart cannot handle it!

Then after failed cycle, decided to do FET..so afraid it would end up negative but it was over before we even started it. Out FET cancelled due to no thaw, not even 1 embryo from the 3 frozen we have was usable .

Heartbreaker! This and everything!
But we cannot just let go of our dreams because of that must move forward and try again right?
It's definitely painful. Even after 4 bfn, I find it's still v devastating. Everytime i cried very hard and grief with hubby.

Then life must go on -be kind to yourself - eat well, watch a movie, spend time with hubby just do something that makes you feel good. Sometimes so depressing, no appetite but still hv to eat well coz must keep body in best condition for next cycle.

For me, i will also think of next steps, what I will keep doing or what I should do differently. I'm going to be prep for FET in Nov but already agreed with hubby if fail too, we will go for one more fresh cycle for one last try with my own eggs. If still cannot, we may move on to DE next le.

So for next FET, I'm going to mentally prep myself for fresh cycle in Jan and try not to get my hopes high. Even considering asking embryologist to update hubby about progress of the embryos. I don't want to know and just need to know got embryos or blasties to transfer and just go for it. Still discussing this with hubby.

I think it's healthy to address your emotions. Then pick up from there, understand the facts of your situation and focus on next options. My motivation is still the fear of living with regret if I have not tried all options within my means to carry a pregnancy with my own body.

Stay positive. It's tough but perseverance is very key in this journey. A lot of wonderful ladies here give support and have inspired me. So I hope you don't give up and find the strength to ride through this and get bfp soon. Let's jia you!

Last edited:
@Camilla008, re. TCM. Actually my acupuncture n tcm doc are the same doc. I think a good tcm doc will assess your conditions thoroughly and advise if u need tcm meds with acupuncture or just acupuncture will do. I only started taking tcm meds in addition to acupuncture in June when I needed help to recover from the inter-menstrual bleeding. Otherwise when body condition is healthy, and already regularly having nutritious soup appropriate for the cycle phases, doc suggest tcm meds may be optional. The doc may hv suggestions but ultimately my hubby and I get to decide if we want to have the tcm meds.

I also think you need to feel good about being treated by the doc. If feeling no good, hard to communicate then consultations can be dreadful and counter effective. Also tcm / acupuncture requires a longer term commitment before feeling benefits so you really want to feel comfortable about it. Hope it works out for you. Feel free to pm me if you like to chat more.

Last edited:
It's definitely painful. Even after 4 bfn, I find it's still v devastating. Everytime i cried very hard and grief with hubby.

Then life must go on -be kind to yourself - eat well, watch a movie, spend time with hubby just do something that makes you feel good. Sometimes so depressing, no appetite but still hv to eat well coz must keep body in best condition for next cycle.

For me, i will also think of next steps, what I will keep doing or what I should I do differently. I'm going to be prep for FET in Nov but already agreed with hubby if fail too, we will go for one more fresh cycle for one last try with my own eggs. If still cannot, we may move on to DE next le.

So for next FET, I'm going to mentally prep myself for fresh cycle in Jan and try not to get my hopes high. Even considering asking embryologist to update hubby about progress of the embryos. I don't want to know and just need to know got embryos or blasties to transfer and just go for it. Still discussing this with hubby.

I think it's healthy to address your emotions. Then pick up from there, understand the facts of your situation and focus on next options. My motivation is still the fear of living with regret if I have not tried all options within my means to carry a pregnancy with my own body.

Stay positive. It's tough but perseverance is very key in this journey. A lot of wonderful ladies here give support and have inspired me. So I hope you don't give up and find the strength to ride through this and get bfp soon. Let's jia you!

I feel you, i really do. Wishing and dreaming one day will be our big day!

It's hard being in this situation when all my friends getting pregnant without even trying. Sometimes cannot help to think, how can they be more deserving than me? But of course how selfish i can be to think or even ask that. What the mind can understand the heart wouldn't mind!

Hubby and I also discussed we will do ivf 3x with our own, if still bfn we will try donor sperm if still nothing happens then donor eggs, then adoption is the last thing will gonna do.

Praying hard we won't do all that and got bfp next cycle.

@Camilla008, re. TCM. Actually my acupuncture n tcm doc are the same doc. I think a good tcm doc will assess your conditions thoroughly and advice if u need tcm meds with acupuncture or just acupuncture will do. I only started taking tcm meds in addition to acupuncture in June when I need help to recover from the inter-menstrual bleeding. Otherwise when body condition is healthy, and already regularly having nutritious soup appropriate for the cycle phases, doc suggest tcm meds may be optional. The doc may hv suggestions but ultimately my hubby and I get to decide if we want to have the tcm meds.

I also think you need to feel good about being treated by the doc. If feeling no good, hard to communicate then consultations can be dreadful and counter effective. Also tcm / acupuncture requires a longer term commitment before feeling benefits so you really want to feel comfortable about it. Hope it works out for you. Feel free to pm me if you like to chat more.

I see, may i ask how much will it cost for acupuncture? Sorry, i don't have any idea how will it cost.

Hello just a quick check, I tested yst with clearblue and have a flashing smiley is also consider as ovulated liao right? First FET timer, very noob on this. TIA

Hello just a quick check, I tested yst with clearblue and have a flashing smiley is also consider as ovulated liao right? First FET timer, very noob on this. TIA
Yes as long as smiley ovu positive. Today is cd wat gal. R u with kkh. I will be going for cd 8 scan next mon. Wondering after tat got how many scan as I will travel cd9 10 11. My ovu is normally cd 15 so tot safe to travel.

I went for my scan on Friday and saw the heartbeat so let me spread and sprinkle baby dusts!

Anyway, just to share, the below was what I did for my fresh cycle and FET.

Please do not ever give up ok! I thought I had failed my cycle when there was only 1 embryo that was fertilized normally. But I'm glad I didn't give up. It just takes 1 to stick.

And don't fret if you don't have many follicles. It's the quality, not the quantity that counts!

Jiayou all!

Hospital : Raffles Hospital
Gynae : Dr Sheila Loh

Conditions : Severe Endometriosis, Adenomyosis on the left side and 3.5cm cyst on the right ovary.

IVF Long Protocol
Start with Lucrin – 10 units – 6 weeks
Stimuate follicles with Puregon – 4 units – 2-2.5 weeks (initial scan showed only about 5-8 follicles)
Ovidrel 2 days before ER
ER – retrieved 15 eggs. 14 injected (ICSI) and only 1 fertilized normally
Progesterone too high so have to delay transfer and freeze embryo – Grade-2 4-Cell Day-2 Embryo
7 days HL after ER

Food wise :
Took GNC’s woman multi vitamin and folic acid (from hospital) about 2 mths before IVF.
Switched to Vitamin Code Raw Prenatals about 3 weeks before IVF starts.
Longan red date & wolfberry tea during stims
Brazil nuts
Figs
Avocado
Golden Kiwi every day
No tea/coffee
Continued my Reserve by Jeunesse once a day
1 tsp chlorophyll in water daily

Non-medicated Frozen Embryo transfer following month.
Ovulate on CD 15
FET on CD 18 – 1 Embryo
Crinone inserts twice daily from FET
Progesterone injection on FET morning and every 3 days (in total only 4 injections)
Laugh a lot on ET day
Took 1 week leave after ET as only had 1 day HL.
Massage plus ginger wrap by Rozilah Bani (fb) 1 week before FET
Wear socks at home and when sleeping

Food wise :
Continued taking Vitamin Code Raw Prenatals
Durian a few days before and after ET
Longan red date tea
Brazil nuts
Walnuts
Raisins
Figs
Kiwi
No cold water
No tea/coffee
Confinement food for 2 weeks after FET (from Sizzling Dyyana in FB)
Lots of plain water (I bought bottled water so I make sure I drink)
Continued my Reserve by Jeunesse once a day
1 tsp chlorophyll in water daily

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

Anyone can recommend good acupuncturist around clementi? Probably near clementi mall? I saw eu yan sang inside clementi mall, any of you tried eu yan sang?

Would like to do acupuncture before my fresh cycle.

TIA

Hi. OPK helps predict when you may ovulate. It does not tell you if you have ovulated liao. Actually need to start testing a few days before estimated ovulation so you get negative. You will need to test daily and only the first positive (or 'smiley' face if using clearblue opk) will indicate the surge in LH hormones. This will then predict that you are expected to ovulate in next 24 to 36 hours of that first positive opk test.

After the first positive opk test, even if you test daily for next 1-3 days, you will still get positive as the LH hormone decrease gradually. So if you only see positive from the first time you test, you don't actually know when was the LH surge and will not be able to predict ovulation. Maybe can call your clinic/hosp for advice what to do.
Hope all goes well. Jia you ya!

Back