IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Yeah I know how you feel... Want to feel positive but also try not to get hopes too high feeling. I've seen so many bfn on a stick I've lost count.

I don't seem to have symptoms :( no sore boobs or sore anything. Only thing I feel is my tummy got twinges now and then.
Exactly..so good to have somebody who understands how I feel. Even my very best fren won't understand as she has never been thru what we been thru.

Sorry to rant here. But I'm feeling very depressed. The husband puts the blame on me for not conceiving. At this point of time I really feel like giving up. He always say I am fat that's why I can't conceive. I'm really tired.

Sorry to rant here. But I'm feeling very depressed. The husband puts the blame on me for not conceiving. At this point of time I really feel like giving up. He always say I am fat that's why I can't conceive. I'm really tired.
This is the perfect place to rant..I'm sure most of us are here for this reason too :)

Is this your first iui? Different meds yield different results so don't worry, not all succeed on 1st try..my doc told me averagely gota try 4 times for iui. Doc will give u other stim next round if the current one don't work for u. Have u tried tcm or acupuncture? Eating egg whites helps too..don't feel depressed. I have very low ovarian reserves and my eggs are grainy as per my doc when I failed IVF twice. It's not our fault, it's just a condition our body has. We just have to work harder than normal people to get our BFP but have faith that we will succeed eventually. :)

Hi everyone, my AF came :( was battling to think if I should post this negative news on the forum, but hey like you all said, we're all fighting the same battle... Lost this round but hey, let's all not give up!

This is the perfect place to rant..I'm sure most of us are here for this reason too :)

Is this your first iui? Different meds yield different results so don't worry, not all succeed on 1st try..my doc told me averagely gota try 4 times for iui. Doc will give u other stim next round if the current one don't work for u. Have u tried tcm or acupuncture? Eating egg whites helps too..don't feel depressed. I have very low ovarian reserves and my eggs are grainy as per my doc when I failed IVF twice. It's not our fault, it's just a condition our body has. We just have to work harder than normal people to get our BFP but have faith that we will succeed eventually. :)
Thank you babyloveu... Sad to say my dosage have again increased to 100mg. Doctor say if still need increase it will be like IVF dosage already... My eggs just don't grow... :( I'm already at stim day 11...no progress still.. Yup it's my 1st IUI...it's seems like normal people only take 50 mg... I have been eating eggs too.... Haven't try tcm yet...

Hi everyone. I m new here. I m so glad to find this thread that encourages one another and going through this journey. I also have been TTC for 2 years and have been on clomid for 6th time but didn't succeed. I recently went to do HSG but results will only available tomorrow . I have PCOS and I m actually in a very confused state now cos I don't know if I can choose to do IVF straight away without going through IUI. Is it a standard procedure to do IUI a few times in public hospitals? I want to utilize the grant so I think I will op for public hospital preferable NUH. Have anyone done IVF there before?

I m actually very emotional at this point, I feel like nobody cares and even if I have any physical pain (which I have during HSG), I don't think anyone will sympatise with u cos u choose to have a child and not like u r fighting a deadly disease.

Sorry about the negativity on the first post. :(

Hi been trying sice 2 years.this month will start with IUI without injections. On letrozole since 8+ months..the stress of trying is painful and disappointment of AF is huge. Relieved on some level to see more like me.. Best wishes to all..
Trying iui at TMC.. Any advice?

Hi everyone. I m new here. I m so glad to find this thread that encourages one another and going through this journey. I also have been TTC for 2 years and have been on clomid for 6th time but didn't succeed. I recently went to do HSG but results will only available tomorrow . I have PCOS and I m actually in a very confused state now cos I don't know if I can choose to do IVF straight away without going through IUI. Is it a standard procedure to do IUI a few times in public hospitals? I want to utilize the grant so I think I will op for public hospital preferable NUH. Have anyone done IVF there before?

I m actually very emotional at this point, I feel like nobody cares and even if I have any physical pain (which I have during HSG), I don't think anyone will sympatise with u cos u choose to have a child and not like u r fighting a deadly disease.

I think the doc will assess each patient's condition separately. And depends on couples, some are just mild sub-infertility condition so doc will suggest IUI first, cuz IVF is like the ultimate method to get conceived. And not all people can go thru IUI, only provided the fallopian tubes are not blocked.
Dun feel sad/emotional. I always think the mood will affect the chances of conceive successfully, some couples gave up ART and conceive naturally. So it really depends.

Hi! Welcome here.. I have the same condition as you PCOS. Have been on letrozole since August last year. But never succeed. Wanted to go straight to IVF same as you.. but my doctor don't recommend that route. Advised to try IUI first.. probably the protocol? Because we have this condition PCOS.. there might be a risk of developing OHSS when doing the injections.. that's what he is worried about I guess. Maybe u can go NUH and speak to your doctor and see what he advises?

Hi! Welcome here.. I have the same condition as you PCOS. Have been on letrozole since August last year. But never succeed. Wanted to go straight to IVF same as you.. but my doctor don't recommend that route. Advised to try IUI first.. probably the protocol? Because we have this condition PCOS.. there might be a risk of developing OHSS when doing the injections.. that's what he is worried about I guess. Maybe u can go NUH and speak to your doctor and see what he advises?

Hi hi! What is letrozole? Same as clomid? I was with doctor Wong at Thomson but I feel he did not explain to me things properly or maybe I lack of knowledge. That's why I wanted to change doctor too. I thought of IUI but since the success rate is low I thought cut all the troubles just go straight to IVF?
May I know which doctor r u seeing now?

I think the doc will assess each patient's condition separately. And depends on couples, some are just mild sub-infertility condition so doc will suggest IUI first, cuz IVF is like the ultimate method to get conceived. And not all people can go thru IUI, only provided the fallopian tubes are not blocked.
Dun feel sad/emotional. I always think the mood will affect the chances of conceive successfully, some couples gave up ART and conceive naturally. So it really depends.

Hmm I don't know what falls into mild category. I just feel like I've been trying for too long. Although I know some people did try for 10 years or so. I don't want to have lower success rate because of delays. Thank u for encouragement. I m trying not to feel sad cos it really affect my menst cycle . Sometimes it's hard though :(

Our cases are pretty similar I think?
- I was with private gynae initially, 5 round of clomid, with the last round with injections
- Then switched to NUH. Over there another 3 rounds of clomid with IUI, no injections because apparently I already responded well with clomid already, which my private gynae didn't scan for me so no idea.
- Just had my bfn with my first cycle of ivf, will be proceeding for another round in a couple month's time.

Whether it is a standard procedure or not, depends on a few factors. Speaking from what I know of NUH, it depends on your age (I am 32 this year), husband's SA, and also how well you've responded. They're reluctant to place patients on invasive procedure, and will want to be as conservative as possible. So likely if age and SA are good, they will want to observe at least of one round of IUI. Assuming everything else in your system is good.

Importantly you need to trust your doc, ask questions if you're in doubt. And speak to your husband and get his support :)

I feel u. Currently I am also feeling very depressed. Hub just kept quiet on the journey home after doc confirmed iui failed. While at home, wanted to discuss with him abt ivf but he just ignore/pretend not to hear me. I went to hide in e toilet to cry.

I feel u. Currently I am also feeling very depressed. Hub just kept quiet on the journey home after doc confirmed iui failed. While at home, wanted to discuss with him abt ivf but he just ignore/pretend not to hear me. I went to hide in e toilet to cry.
They also have their expectations and he might be hurting also ... mutual support very important this period ... speak to him in a few days' time? For me and hubby "slightly" easier cos we are very mathematical people, and we console ourselves that success rate for IUI is about 10%, and IVF is about 30%. So there's a higher chance of failing than succeeding ... and that's what keep us sane all this while

I'm not sure about NUH at this moment because I heard there's a recent increase in number of patients, not sure how diff it'll be for you to get a first appointment ... Last year when I made my first appt with Prof Wong, I only had to wait for 2 weeks .. then subsequently was dependent on the stage of cycle and appointments were not an issue already

Hi hi! What is letrozole? Same as clomid? I was with doctor Wong at Thomson but I feel he did not explain to me things properly or maybe I lack of knowledge. That's why I wanted to change doctor too. I thought of IUI but since the success rate is low I thought cut all the troubles just go straight to IVF?
May I know which doctor r u seeing now?
It's similar like clomid. Did it at private gynae for 7 months like that. Doctor say responded well with all the blood test but just didn't succeed lo. Then now I come to KKH.. my Dr is tan heng Hao. Maybe u wanna ask him again if u not sure?

Me quarrel lo.. haiz... I'm already like working out. But doctor don't recommend like running etc. Only brisk walking cus say something like scare the follicles will be twisted or what. So u proceeding with ivf?

Me quarrel lo.. haiz... I'm already like working out. But doctor don't recommend like running etc. Only brisk walking cus say something like scare the follicles will be twisted or what. So u proceeding with ivf?

Trying for another round of iui first. This time the doc asked me to go back to him on day 2. Previous was day 11. If fail, intend to go for ivf at nuh. Wanted tmc but the cost will b too high.

(Hugs) ouch, it must be painful to have the hubby unhappy at you at a time when you need support.

Don't give up! Actually, my doc also told me to lose weight as my weight could be a main factor affecting fertility. Easier said than done I know! I started jogging (on non-2ww periods) and watching what I eat. Managed to lose 7kg in 3 months. But still really overweight and need to lose another 20kg :(

But then I have friends who are on the bigger side and also pop babies like
Nobody's biz leh. Oh well.

Try not to take it to heart when your hubby say such things. Maybe he is stressed over it as well and choose to pinpoint on you instead of himself? Guys usually don't like to think they might also be the cause for infertility.

I don't think it is standard procedure to do IUI before IVF. The doc will assess you and your hubby and recommend what's best.

We were recommended IUI because we have unexplained infertility, our tests are all normal.
And IUI is so much cheaper to try first.

You don't have to utilise the grant for IUI, if you pay cash it adds up to about $800+ including the scans and meds for one cycle (Excluding fertility checks like HSG, blood tests..)

Hi everyone, my AF came :( was battling to think if I should post this negative news on the forum, but hey like you all said, we're all fighting the same battle... Lost this round but hey, let's all not give up!

Hugs! Yes don't give up, next round could be your lucky star!

I thank this Forum for helping me through my difficult times.

I had an ovarian cyst which was removed, first round of IUI with Clomid and another with injections. Both failed. Gynae suggested that I rest for 2 months after the last IUI. But i have already made up my mind to proceed with IVF next year. So hubby and I planned and paid for 2 holidays till December. But guess what! I conceived naturally the next cycle!

Gynae told me Clomid is very mild and it is unlikely I will be able to conceive, so no point wasting time. As for the injections, its quite strong and he has seen several cases where couples conceived naturally after the failed cycle!

Btw, I eat a large egg a day.

(Hugs) ouch, it must be painful to have the hubby unhappy at you at a time when you need support.

Don't give up! Actually, my doc also told me to lose weight as my weight could be a main factor affecting fertility. Easier said than done I know! I started jogging (on non-2ww periods) and watching what I eat. Managed to lose 7kg in 3 months. But still really overweight and need to lose another 20kg :(

Try not to take it to heart when your hubby say such things. Maybe he is stressed over it as well and choose to pinpoint on you instead of himself? Guys usually don't like to think they might also be the cause for infertility.
Precisely. . I am trying to lose weight also.. thinking of a diet plan.. but I always ask my doctor about the weight factor keep say I'm ok.. but ever since last year I started out on those letrozole medication my weight keeps increasing. Don't know why:(

Our cases are pretty similar I think?
- I was with private gynae initially, 5 round of clomid, with the last round with injections
- Then switched to NUH. Over there another 3 rounds of clomid with IUI, no injections because apparently I already responded well with clomid already, which my private gynae didn't scan for me so no idea.
- Just had my bfn with my first cycle of ivf, will be proceeding for another round in a couple month's time.

Whether it is a standard procedure or not, depends on a few factors. Speaking from what I know of NUH, it depends on your age (I am 32 this year), husband's SA, and also how well you've responded. They're reluctant to place patients on invasive procedure, and will want to be as conservative as possible. So likely if age and SA are good, they will want to observe at least of one round of IUI. Assuming everything else in your system is good.

Importantly you need to trust your doc, ask questions if you're in doubt. And speak to your husband and get his support :)

Wow after 5 rounds of clomid still advise u to do 3 more round? I m worry leh cos I heard clomid thin ur uterus walls and for past few months I had my AF super little like might as well don't come kinda thing. And I think my uterus walls already affected or something, I m super paranoid. I hope the doctor at NUH will put me straight to IVF procedure. I m tired of trying this and that already :(

I thank this Forum for helping me through my difficult times.

I had an ovarian cyst which was removed, first round of IUI with Clomid and another with injections. Both failed. Gynae suggested that I rest for 2 months after the last IUI. But i have already made up my mind to proceed with IVF next year. So hubby and I planned and paid for 2 holidays till December. But guess what! I conceived naturally the next cycle!

Gynae told me Clomid is very mild and it is unlikely I will be able to conceive, so no point wasting time. As for the injections, its quite strong and he has seen several cases where couples conceived naturally after the failed cycle!

Btw, I eat a large egg a day.
Wow congrats to u! I wonder why my doctor never suggested injections. Maybe I will ask him again

I don't think it is standard procedure to do IUI before IVF. The doc will assess you and your hubby and recommend what's best.

We were recommended IUI because we have unexplained infertility, our tests are all normal.
And IUI is so much cheaper to try first.

You don't have to utilise the grant for IUI, if you pay cash it adds up to about $800+ including the scans and meds for one cycle (Excluding fertility checks like HSG, blood tests..)

Hi catinthesky ,, which doctor r u with now? Did he say must do IUI for how many times before moving on to IVF? Actually it's much cheaper .

Precisely. . I am trying to lose weight also.. thinking of a diet plan.. but I always ask my doctor about the weight factor keep say I'm ok.. but ever since last year I started out on those letrozole medication my weight keeps increasing. Don't know why:(

Does the medicine makes you have a bigger appetite?

Try to drink lots and lots of water to keep full. If the doc says you are ok means you are of normal weight ah! Don't stress about it then :)

Does the medicine makes you have a bigger appetite?

Try to drink lots and lots of water to keep full. If the doc says you are ok means you are of normal weight ah! Don't stress about it then :)
Yea.. like feel like grabbing something to eat. Itchy mouth. Haha. He says it's like that.. ya lo.. keep drinking water

Wow after 5 rounds of clomid still advise u to do 3 more round? I m worry leh cos I heard clomid thin ur uterus walls and for past few months I had my AF super little like might as well don't come kinda thing. And I think my uterus walls already affected or something, I m super paranoid. I hope the doctor at NUH will put me straight to IVF procedure. I m tired of trying this and that already :(
Docs assured me lining is ok.. My af was still as heavy as ever

They've seen successful stories after more than 10 cycles on clomid and IUI -- ivf is the last resort because it's the most invasive.. And the cost involved is more than 10 times of IUI.. Diff magnitude completely

@AnnBby and @babyloveyou Today is our 8DPIUI, how are you feeling?

I don't feel anything at all. No symptoms!

Getting worried that implantation didn't take place, or it wasn't successfully fertilized. Haiz!

Hi @catinthesky & @babyloveyou ,
Yah.....8dpiui. I feel like the days passed by so fast. Maybe I was too busy. :D :D

I just have lots of discharge. Maybe due to the progesterone inserts. Other than that, I get tired easily but could also be due to metformin I am eating. So very hard for me to say these are signs of pregnancy.

This is my #2 iui. So maybe because this is my #2 one, I am more relaxed. Anyway, DH and me have already sat down and discuss, whatever may be....may be...

So ladies, dont be stress alright. We have 6 more days to go.....Jia You!

@catinthesky , my sentiments exactly! I am also on the heavier side of the scale. Dr keeps asking me to lose weight. Hehehe.....But I was wondering, how come those that I know, bigger or equal in size as me, can still conceive. Not fair leh. :D

My grandma can agree with this sentiment and tell me I can one. Its not because of the weight. After she said that, I have new found confidence. Lol!

@littlejas , yes....dont give up! We are all in the same battle. Don't worry, we are here to support one another. Jia You! Another iui means another opportunity to conceive. :)

Hi @Babyashley86!

Welcome! Welcome! Its okay to post what you feel though it is not uplifting. But trust me, all of us here have been thru that phase. A phase of despair, anguish, uncertainty etc...So this is why we are in this forum. To give one another support. How we can do it? Because we are all in the same boat. *hugs*

With regards to your query, NUH will not do IVF straightaway. As most of the sisters have informed you, usually the dr will do IUI first. Cases where you will proceed straight to IVF will be those with blocked tubes (beyond repair) or those with very low egg reserves. So if you are not in this category, IVF will only be an option after IUI. :)

Yah.....8dpiui. I feel like the days passed by so fast. Maybe I was too busy. :D :D

I just have lots of discharge. Maybe due to the progesterone inserts. Other than that, I get tired easily but could also be due to metformin I am eating. So very hard for me to say these are signs of pregnancy.

This is my #2 iui. So maybe because this is my #2 one, I am more relaxed. Anyway, DH and me have already sat down and discuss, whatever may be....may be...

Metformin will cause us to get tired? I'm also on metformin but I don't really get tired..probably a good sign for u :) I get some discharge too but I'm not on any progesterone support..but then again, I get discharge in my BFN cycles too.

Pregnancy and AF symptoms are just too similar. Let's not stress over it too much and wait it out :)

Metformin will cause us to get tired? I'm also on metformin but I don't really get tired..probably a good sign for u :) I get some discharge too but I'm not on any progesterone support..but then again, I get discharge in my BFN cycles too.

Pregnancy and AF symptoms are just too similar. Let's not stress over it too much and wait it out :)

Yah....AF and pregnancy symptoms are just too similar. So very hard to tell. So I guess its best for us to just take the chill pill. 12th Sept onwards then can POAS.

You are also taking metformin? So good leh, you dont feel lethargic. I nearly want to go crazy with the metformin. Makes me poop too much. (Sorry TMI)

Yah....AF and pregnancy symptoms are just too similar. So very hard to tell. So I guess its best for us to just take the chill pill. 12th Sept onwards then can POAS.

You are also taking metformin? So good leh, you dont feel lethargic. I nearly want to go crazy with the metformin. Makes me poop too much. (Sorry TMI)
Yup I'm on 1/2 pill daily after dinner...I don't feel much side effect from it so far. I just feel very bloated esp after meals which I think is from my stim jabs.

Hi catinthesky ,, which doctor r u with now? Did he say must do IUI for how many times before moving on to IVF? Actually it's much cheaper .

I'm with Dr Stephen Chew from NUH. He advised 3 rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. But he did say that IVF not ideal for me as one of my ovaries is high up and harder to reach :/

Ya sometimes so hard to distinguish pregnancy symptoms from AF! And we don't want to get hopes too high also. Sounds like a good plan to just chill and whatever may be may be. :)

@catinthesky , my sentiments exactly! I am also on the heavier side of the scale. Dr keeps asking me to lose weight. Hehehe.....But I was wondering, how come those that I know, bigger or equal in size as me, can still conceive. Not fair leh. :D

My grandma can agree with this sentiment and tell me I can one. Its not because of the weight. After she said that, I have new found confidence. Lol!

Haha ya so unfair :D

I like your grandma's theory!!

Good luck to all of u ladies!

I'm with Dr Stephen Chew from NUH. He advised 3 rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. But he did say that IVF not ideal for me as one of my ovaries is high up and harder to reach :/
Oh I see. I was thinking of going to dr PC Wong. I heard u won't get subsidized rate with him don't know right or not. Is ur doctor good?

Hi @Babyashley86!

Welcome! Welcome! Its okay to post what you feel though it is not uplifting. But trust me, all of us here have been thru that phase. A phase of despair, anguish, uncertainty etc...So this is why we are in this forum. To give one another support. How we can do it? Because we are all in the same boat. *hugs*

With regards to your query, NUH will not do IVF straightaway. As most of the sisters have informed you, usually the dr will do IUI first. Cases where you will proceed straight to IVF will be those with blocked tubes (beyond repair) or those with very low egg reserves. So if you are not in this category, IVF will only be an option after IUI. :)
Wow really,? That's sad. I just wanna jump straight to IVF. Guess cannot rush. I don't wanna go through IUI with lower success rate. Thanks for the hugs* needed them. :)

Hi all, a small introduction of myself. I'm turning 30 this yr and have been trying for a baby for a year plus. Went KKH recently to check, doc say i'm perfectly fine. My hub's 1% morphology is fine cause both his sperm count & motility are gd so encourage us to keep trying but we decided to try for IUI cause we are so depressing each time my menses come. I'm going for my first IUI this Oct. Just wondering if anyone knows how long will the ultrasound scan take? The nurse told me from Day 7 onwards, i will have to visit clinic often for scanning for the size of eggs. I requested 2h time off from work to allow me to go for check but i'm afraid it will take longer than that. I'm with KKIVF now.

Hi,
KKIVF open at 8am but you can be at the clinic 715am to be in the 1st queue to take the number first. The number is then called only at 8am onwards. The scan done is very fast, less than 5mins just to check your follicle size. Once scan is done, you have to wait for your queue no. again to see the gynae to access how much to inject the puregon.

So far if your queue number is within 10 person, by 930am you are done with the whole process including taking your medicines.

For KKIVF, basically the flow is as follows:

- Queue no. for the scan
- Scan for follicle size
- Consult Doctor
- Take medication (at times after taking medication, need to go back see gynae again, hence this may take longer time)

I think you need at least 3hrs for the whole process.

Wow really,? That's sad. I just wanna jump straight to IVF. Guess cannot rush. I don't wanna go through IUI with lower success rate. Thanks for the hugs* needed them. :)

Hi,
Most of the time, gynae would encourage to go for IUI for the 1st try, thereafter you can strongly opt for IVF. Give a try first for IUI, there are successful rate for the 1st try too.

Back