Wharton Preschool @ AMK review

ah_ting

Hi Mummies,

Does anyone know of any feedback for this preschool at AMK? Am looking at this preschool near my place but the school is too new till I'm not sure should I send my gal there for playgroup or full day child care.

Thanks.

Hi, I am also looking for childcare for my girl. Hi ah_ting, if u lives near Amk hub you can consider Learning kidz at Jubilee complex? Or is it same as me ? called up the centre there , they said chances is slim :( so suggest I look for other school so I thinking only Wharton preschool now .. Going to view this school too.
I am started to look around school and put on waiting list for more than 4 schools.. Is kind of difficult in Amk area

My gal is on waiting list for learning kids. Learning kids only has full day lesson. Im a bit hesitant to start off straight with full day now cos she is only 18 mths, so hv to look for other option. Wharton has those few hrs half day lesson.

I saw some pple comment online tat Wharton environment not very gd, kids there r not happy etc...not sure is it true for the amk branch. We hv to visit the school to check.
Winter_hokkaido, maybe u can share ur feedback after ur visit. I will only go down on 20 jan

Hi , to share my view after visiting Wharton preschool . They are particular w the hygiene issue .. they ensured visitor sanitize their hands . The Curriculum sounds ok to me . . i heard that amk only has 2 childcare that teaches Montessori. Character montessori and Wharton preschool. CM is too far fr my hse so i decided to drop the chance .
Wharton Preschool is really big and spacious. . there is another level that they intent to use it for indoor play or something, but looks like is not officially set up yet. They have field trips too and enrichment classes. 1 thing that I don't quite understand is that for N1 , there is extra cost added for this 10 lessons of enrichment classes. It's strange while other levels are all inclusive of enrichment fees. Classrooms are generally quite big, saw some cute craft works that they made that i think is quite impressive. However I feel the art corner can be more variety And more exploring.. or Perhaps is just the beginning of the school year So I can't really see much work yet .
The eloquent admin staff even showed me the toilets and place for shower . I forget to ask what they sleep on during nap.. :(
the menus seems alright , looks healthy . i even saw Tau suan and all that as dessert ..kekeke ... etc . I am not too fussy .

oh yes, if i am not wrong , i think the school has no halal certified so there is no malay kids, i also didn't see any indian kids .. Saw some parents / grandpas came to pick up their child / grandchild .. they looked happy .

I am deciding to send my child there most probably . As she is just coming to 21 mths , my idea is to enroll her in 2015 that she will be in Pre nursery. Is kind if too early to send this year in my opinion .however the admin mentioned they can't hold the slot more than 6 mths . . Still will b in waiting list even I put a deposit since I choose not to start this year :( hmm.. Still have 1 more childcare to view before deciding .

Just my point of view of the school .
School fees are not cheap but for Montessori teaching childcare, this fees is consider reasonable already .

Sounds quite ok to me. Im looking forward to visit this school.

Is little school house in amk hub one of ur choice too? My gal is on waiting list but now im very hesitant to send her there after reading reviews tat it's not really worth the steep price.. dun understand how come the waiting list is endless. It's even more ex than Wharton for the basic school fees!

I also hear feedbacks from my colleagues, is kind of overpriced not even montesorie and is charging so high. Last year i went in for enquiry , the admin seems bo chap like that and upon hearing is 2015 that i intend to send , she dont even wan to take down my child's name. even though she mentioned there still afew slots. .

Learning kidz is no chance to get in. The in charge intro me to Wharton .. LoL! Actually I wanted to send my child there , the fees is low and I heard they are alot of enrichment and activities going on and teachers are nice .

U also try to queue ur kid for 2015 at learning kids? I only queue my daughter there recently and they say she is 2nd in the queue.

I also Q for childcare . Is it ? Learning Kidz even can update you your child queuing number? I just called ytd, they told me chances is slim. That's why they suggest me other school and Wharton came in the picture .
Ang mo kio is so difficult to get a slot in when come to childcare n enrichment class. Haiz ..

Ya..me queue for those full day child care lor. They told us our no. after we put name in and ask how many kids in front of my gal. My hubby went down the week of 1jan.

U ever consider the cheaper schools like my first school? I will go view one of them at a later date for half day lesson.

I think is a matter of if I can get any school ? LoL :p
But to be frank , there are afew cases about my first skool. I kind of very worried too.
Currently I have a v experienced and good nanny to look after my girl so still think that sending her later next yr will be better , when they understand more things and good enough to tell you what happen in school .

I decided to place deposit at Wharton and try luck . (They mentioned will still be on wait list even I place deposit ) So I am actually waiting for so many schools.. Hauz .. Just wish those that call me will be those nearby ones.. Much more convenient . I live near the Amk mrt station, cheng San area.

So u placed deposit for 2015 class? The earliest slot for play grp if place deposit is june per wat I was told.... I also hv the same thinking tat sending them to full day at an older age is better since they can tell u wat happen in school

Hi winter and ah ting,
Mind sharing how much are the fees for Wharton? My gal is currently in N1 at Learning Kidz but under flexicare (i.e 4 hrs prog). My son turning 18mths this Mar but this year they do not offer flexicare playgrp sessions. Want to send him to halfday childcare at Learning Kidz but they are full :( so am looking at alternatives while waiting for Learning Kidz to give him a slot.

I heard learning kidz is good. I can ask my friends for more information before posting again. Or maybe you can call them up?

Hope this helps! :)

Hi charlottemt88, will be great if u can post reviews abt learning kids. Im sure they will be of some useful reference to the interested mummies :)

Hi, I thought learning kidz is full? That's what the in charge told me . I think there is a v long waiting list as she told me that chances to get in is v slim. From what I know their full day charge is just $600+ after working mum subsidy or perhaps lower ? . Is so much cheaper compare to Wharton . But again, I must say Wharton is montessori teaching so must compare apple to apple .. I heard from my fren who send her kids to learning kidz is that the school has many field trips n teachers are friendly . I think as it is also very convenient ( near mrt and in the heartland of Amk neighbourhood centralise location) therefore is filled up Fast.

My experience so far with Learning Kidz is good. My gal who has attended their playgroup through to N1 this year has picked up alot in terms of knowledge, skills, language etc.... The teachers are caring too and will give feedback at end of class when possible on how well my gal behaves, eat etc... their field trips, excursions and special off-campus activities are usu organised during June & Dec holidays...
Currently paying $400+ after subsidy for my gla's 4 hr N1 session.... not sure abt the charges for their childcare services.... If full day is just $600+ like what winter_hokkaido has commented, it's quite value for $$.
Sigh... seems like it's tough to find a vacancy for my dragon boy... I am going to write in to their management to appeal...

Hi mummies,
Managed to enrolled my boy into Learning Kidz childcare beginning this mth.
Btw, if anyone is keen, they do conduct once a week playgrp classes on Sundays and 1 parent can sit in together with the child :)

Hi are u fresh intake? Just manage to enrol for this year? I called last yr they told me was full for this yr wor! and recommend me to other sch last time . That is strange !

Hi are u fresh intake? Just manage to enrol for this year? I called last yr they told me was full for this yr wor! and recommend me to other sch last time . That is strange !
My kid juz turned 18 mths last mth... so only start to attend this mth... I was told they were running on full hse too when I enquire for a plc ... but somehow they manage to apply for 'exceed capacity' from the govt agency for my case as I alr have my elder child in the centre (maybe sibling priority bah...)

So pnut, ur kid is still with Wharton? My kid just start school at Wharton few weeks back. So far she is adapting well in school and am glad she is learning different things every day. At least she loves going to school now which made me quite relieved

hi, i am comparing learning kidz with wharton at AMK. can someone help to advise which one is better? thanks

i went to wharton during may. Almost decided into putting lo there until i went down to visit. The teacher there were not happy, children are not that happy too.
The even use ipad to play videos for the children to watch. While the teacher did singalong (monotonously), the children are not interactive at all. I was totally unimpressed.
The principal was sorta fierce too. Seem like she is the discipline master style. Like the oldschool times when all of us are afraid of the principal.

I was at a lost as i didnt like schools in shopping malls (too confined) n school under HDB (feels unsafe lol)
As i have a 6mth old superglue-breastfed baby at that time. I could leave hm too long. The other schools around are either too expensive (the 3 at grassroot) or too inconvenient (carpe diem @ hilltop, discovery garden), or full (carpe diem @ ite).
But like a saviour, the customer service from Brighton called me. (I fixed an appt wif them a few times but decided not to go as it was over my budget.) She told me Brighton is having a promotion on school fees and if i would like to go for a visit before deciding.
After discussing with hub, we went down. The teachers were all smiling n friendly, kids are definitely happy. The even turned ard to say hi upon seeing us without any single gesture from any teachers ard. Thou i can say the principal is not the typical ones u see ard. Dont really have the feel of a principal haha but we were convinced by the environment. Till date, i have not regret putting my child there. He was scared during the 1st few days n crying badly whenever we leave but the teachers carried him all de way taking turns n slowly gain his trust. I was very worried initially that he might have a phobia by leaving him alone like that. Now, he looks forward to going school everyday. When he 1st enter school, he cud only call papa n mama. Now he can even say 3-4 syllabus words n even join 3-4 words together. He can also say some stuffs in mandarin which is something i didnt even teach him at all. I really feel that the school is worth all de money. Plus point, the have a big compound with only 40 children in school (most are half day students including me) up till date.

sidenote: i visited learning vision at grassroot during a saturday way before visiting wharton. There was no students, a chinese teacher attended to us and told us they are cleaning up the area. On monday, i called to make an appointment to visit the school one more time to view the classes. The customer service told me there is a hfmd outbreak last week n they are not accepting any appointments this few weeks. Which means when i visited the centre, they are cleaning up the centre due to the hfmd case!!! The chinese teacher didnt even tell me about it. Both my kids were there with us too. Luckily nothing happened to them! Super angry n blacklisted!!

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has update on Wharton Preschool @ Broadway Plaza. I visited the centre today. Jenny, the person that brought us around, was friendly and earnest to show us around and let us observe the lessons and even explained the logic of the how the lessons were conducted. We felt good and comfortable.

However, the teachers teaching the Playgroup were so listless and not interesting at all. No smiles. Can't really say there was any engagement. But, really, I felt a little uncomfortable how one of them handled a child who was new in the Playgroup class. Seemed a little impatient to me. This is the biggest barrier for me to sign my girl up at the moment.

Other than the particular teacher, I think I am happy with the environment and the older kids seemed to be happy. A few of them said hi to us as we went around.

I am a little surprised that there is still vacancies for the Playgroup. Most other schools I've enquired are full. I do have a place secured since 6 months ago but it's further away and the environment isn't as good as Wharton. At least I felt the teachers were more engaging and interested in the children.

Is there any parent that have her child in the Playgroup class now? Can offer your review on the school and teachers? Thanks!

Baby bob... just wondering how your DS is getting on at Wharton. Does he like it? Do you like it? What are the teachers and lessons like?

To add on, the school has been pretty resourceful in creating outdoor learning programs, trips to theatre plays etc. I am looking forward to see more of such programs.
Hi Baby bob, my son in Wharton too. Is your son full day or half day? If your son is full day, do you see more benefits? I would like to switch mine to full. Still thinking...

Haha, I have the same anxiety but made the decision to start him full day this new month so my mum will have time to concentrate on my 3 months old. :)

Back