Advice needed! Test for Down Syndrome for baby

Excitedmom

Hi 2016 moms-to-be! I am a first time expecting mom :) (EDD is 3 April 2016). I have a question which I'll to seek all your guidance. My gynae - Dr Wendy Teo at Mount E Novena told me that there's 2 test for down syndrome available for testing at around week 12. 1) Oscars test which is 90% accurate and cheaper (around $300) and another 2) Verify test which is 99% accurate and cost $1,200. May I know which ones you guys opt for and why? Deliberating because my hubby and I are thinking *touch wood* even if the bb has DS, we would still keep it so am thinking if Oscars suffice.

Thanks in advance for all your sharing!

i went for both

1) oscar dun just checked DS , they check/scan other things too
2) verify test / harmony test - for trisomies 21 (Down syndrome), 18 (Edward's syndrome), & 13 (Patau syndrome)

i belong to the kiasi type i am willing to pay for peace of mind

I didnt go for any, as no matter what happen, we still want to keep the baby.
Both husband and I are under the higher risk category due to our age. He's 40 and I am 37. This is our first baby.

Just went for the detailed scan at week 20, and all seems alrite.
My baby was born in march 2015, and she is a healthy baby now.

But at the end of the day, its a personal choice to do all the tests.
By not doing it, its my kinda piece of mind coz I dont want to have any added unnecessary stress.

Hope u have a smooth pregnancy! :)

Hi 2016 moms-to-be! I am a first time expecting mom :) (EDD is 3 April 2016). I have a question which I'll to seek all your guidance. My gynae - Dr Wendy Teo at Mount E Novena told me that there's 2 test for down syndrome available for testing at around week 12. 1) Oscars test which is 90% accurate and cheaper (around $300) and another 2) Verify test which is 99% accurate and cost $1,200. May I know which ones you guys opt for and why? Deliberating because my hubby and I are thinking *touch wood* even if the bb has DS, we would still keep it so am thinking if Oscars suffice.

I went for the OSCAR scan and was told I was on the high risk , my Gynae asked me to do amnio because I was worried. But in the end I chose to do the MaterniT21 blood test which is non invasive .

i just went for the oscar, last time when our parents give birth to us didn't go for all these as well. haha. i think if you are below 35 years old i think everything is quite safe ;)

Hi Nazriah, thanks for sharing your experience! I am in my late 20s and my hub is in early 30s. We share the same thoughts as you that this is our first baby and we will keep it no matter what. I hope to have a conclusion soon before september! haha!

Hi Adele86, thanks for your re-assurance! Yes, we could be in the same age (who knows?, i am guessing from ur 86 nick. hee).

Hi Excitedmon,

I took the Panorama test which according to some mums, is similar to Harmony test but with a different company. It's non-invasive, Panorama sent their technician to the clinic and she drew 3 tubes of my blood. The blood samples were sent to US for analysis. It has 99% accuracy, took abt 2weeks to receive the results. The test can also determine baby's gender at wk 11. The basic test for DS is abt $1.6k and we opted for additional test for microdeletion so it costs abt $1.95k in total. It gave us a peace of mind because of my fertility issues.

I did Harmony Test and it cost me $800 (inclusive of GST) at NUH. I'm 37 and this is my second child. We did the nuchal test. Although the result is normal but to my doctor's satisfaction. So for peace of mind, we decided to go ahead with the Harmony Test.

I had four births and never went for any of these tests. It's a personal decision you and your husband need to make. For us we just take whatever it comes. Also we were both 24 and 26 when we had our first child so I guess age and family health history plays a part too. All the best!

I got my 1st Oscar Test at KK hospital at end of April and the result turns to be VERY VERY BAD.
Me & my husband are totally cannot accept and we go again the scan with another prof.
Am suffering for the few weeks, after advice/hinting/story from my few doctor, family, friends....
We decided to give up our pregnancy on June.

I don't say it is a MUST to do with the test, it only buy your peaceful mind.
My case is not only blood test issue, also physical defects found.

I'm just done my "chromosome test", it totally fine so which mean it will be ok for my next pregnancy.
So in future, I no need go to amnio test to test blood anymore coz me & my husband blood are totally fine.
With I have grow well with my confinement period, trust my little angel will come back to us very soon.

Fyi: me and my hubby are near to 30s.

Hi Excitedmom,

I had the verifi test done through Dr Teo's clinic as well. We wanted a peace of mind and in case the results weren't good, we wanted to be mentally prepared. Oscar seems to have a bad rep for false positives, and in any case Verifi tests for other genetics issues apart from DS, and you can know the gender early too :p Many comments on this forum mentioned having to wait almost 2 weeks for the results, but Dr Teo's clinic had my results ready in 3 working days!

There is no need for the both tests if you have decided to keep it regardless of DS or not. Oscar tests are well known for its false positive result. If Oscar turn out to be positive, you will end up worrying and stressing yourself thru out the whole preg which is no good for you.

What does Oscar involve? My gynae only said blood+ultrasound test.
Yah, blood and ultrasound. Immediately after the ultrasound, the staff will tell you the probability ratio based on u/s result only. After your blood test (aft few days), you will have an appt with your gynae who will then tell you the combined result.

Hi i just did panorama test today with dr kenneth lee. it cost about $1500.
a friend of mine on the other hand did Materni21 plus (which i think has one or 2 more extras in it).

well i really dunno which is good or bad. do enlighten.

whatever it is. a life is a life.

When I had #1 in 2014, my Oscar result was 1:98 and I did the CVS though my Dr assured me that it is only 1% and not to worry. There wasn't any harmony/panorama test available at that time. CVS was too traumatic for me as it required a very very long needle piercing, or I should say stabbing thru our belly and a miscarriage risk of 3%. I had nightmares for that few nights. Now #2, Oscar result was 1:148. Luckily, KKH recommend panorama test which only required 2 tubes of blood. Result came back on the 7th day and gender revealed.
For me, both #1 & #2 ultrasound was perfectly normal, only when combined with blood test and other factors like age (currently 33yo), smoker/non-smoker, etc, the result became high risk.

Cost at KKH under pte: Oscar Test (for both blood test and ultrasound)- $600+, Panorama Test (Blood test only)- $900.

I should have skipped the Oscar Test as it is famous for its fake positive results (90% accurate only) and save the $600+ and go straight to Panorama Test (99% accurate).

My doctor also recommended the "non-invasive prenatal test" as I belong to the high risk group. I'm 37 years old. Its 99% accuracy but its nearly 3 times the price of OSCARS. My husband and I decided that we will go for this expensive test. We rather spend more for a more accurate test, then having a false positive for OSCARS and need to go for the invasive amniocentesis.

I went for Pano test as my Oscar results baby is average risk - so I went for this also. Paid S$1660 (Includes GST) and test came back low risk. I am 35 YO now preg with sec child. I think to have a peace of mind, better to go for this test if you are worried.

Been lurking on this forum past years and decided to recreate an ID and contribute.

For those who took the Down Syndrome screenings and all is well, congratulations.

For those who did not opt for screening 'All The Best!' and enjoy the pregnancy.

For those who did the screening, why do it? Are you prepared for unfavourable results? Will you abort once the screening tells you your chance is 1:138, 1:3, 1:3888, 1:8888 or 1:10000? Or will you then take a diagnostics (CVS/amnio) to confirm and risk a miscarriage?

Reason why I posed the above is because I had initially thought I would not be able to accept a child with an extra chromosome and labelled Down Syndrome.

Then I got a hint at 11W of possible down (Panorama) and the worry and tears started as we came to terms with the condition and scrambled to find out more about the support in Singapore vs that in western countries.

NT Scan supported the screening (screening is not diagnostic, screening is only risk level) but aborting on NT scan and screening is too risky and we pray for a miracle as we wait for confirmation via a diagnostics test around 16W. We also did a heart scan since down syndrome children tend to have heart problems and the heart scan found irregularities which the Doctor explained could be due to Down Syndrome and better to wait for another 11 days for amniocentesis results.

Through the 5 weeks, much soul searching is done and desperate readings from the library, Down Syndrome Association, Internet is done. We realise there is too much information online, a huge ethical debate on abortion and many different experiences by couples around the world.

At this point, perhaps having a healthy Down Syndrome child seems acceptable then a Down Syndrome child with a heart issue (which may/may not be healed). But which parent may guarantee a child's future?

Why would you keep a down syndrome child and if you were to abort it, would it be upon bad screening results or upon just a CVS (12W) or an Amniocentesis (16W) or after the 20W scan results as the pregnancy shows?

hello,

If your hubby and u already decide that no matter wat, you are going to give birth, then tell your doctor this decision and tell her to skip all these test beco the result is irrelevant to u. save the $$$ to buy better food for yourself

jia you

hello,

If your hubby and u already decide that no matter wat, you are going to give birth, then tell your doctor this decision and tell her to skip all these test beco the result is irrelevant to u. save the $$$ to buy better food for yourself

jia you

You responded to a Aug 2015 post and now that new SCREENING tests are available, it is not that straightforward is it?

I thought it was that simple till I did the Panorama and a 99% DS was given after a 10 days wait.

SCREENING gives a peace of mind if low risk which I thought I would get.

But with high risk, as it was unexpected and precious, we went to get a diagnostic.

Along the way, NT and cardio scan was done and we learnt more or the condition.

Aborting at 10W, 18W, 20W or 24W has different implications and effect on me. I am a FTWM and if the Panorama was sufficiently accurate, I would have aborted 10W. But because SCREENING is not diagnostic, the emotional roller coaster starts.

Made me realise why each pregnancy is unique and why every healthy child is a gift.

Made me realise that mothers really are marvellous. I used to be naive to think the abnormalities are few and childbirth is quite simple but now realise however few these abnormalities, I got to deal with it now.

Life's challenges...

You responded to a Aug 2015 post and now that new SCREENING tests are available, it is not that straightforward is it?

I thought it was that simple till I did the Panorama and a 99% DS was given after a 10 days wait.

SCREENING gives a peace of mind if low risk which I thought I would get.

But with high risk, as it was unexpected and precious, we went to get a diagnostic.

Along the way, NT and cardio scan was done and we learnt more or the condition.

Aborting at 10W, 18W, 20W or 24W has different implications and effect on me. I am a FTWM and if the Panorama was sufficiently accurate, I would have aborted 10W. But because SCREENING is not diagnostic, the emotional roller coaster starts.

Made me realise why each pregnancy is unique and why every healthy child is a gift.

Made me realise that mothers really are marvellous. I used to be naive to think the abnormalities are few and childbirth is quite simple but now realise however few these abnormalities, I got to deal with it now.

Life's challenges...

You are totally correct. Every pregency is indeed unique. Every child is a gift, regardless healthy or not. Of cos this is my personal view and you obviously no need to subscribe to it ya.

Abortion at different week have different impact on you not just bodily but more imptly emotional. As a rule of thumb, the earlier the painful decision need to be made, the lesser bodily and emotional damage you will need to sustain.

I notice or i never read carefully your post, i dun remember reading about your hubby/partner, honestly, in today contact, pregancy impact and involvement of the guy is getting more and more obvious and critical. This is a big decision and much better to be made together, afterall, these bb is made by both of you in the first place ya, if there is any decision now, will it not be better to decide jointly instead of bearing this fully on your shoulder

All the best.

Decision ultimately is mine since I am carrying the baby. Whilst DH has a say, it is the DW who bears the most risk and responsibilities and the emotional and physical scars more than whatever anyone else says or thinks.

Cheers

Hi mummies,
Am here to share my experience.
I am a mom of 2. My #1 will be 9 and my #2 is 5.
I didn't do any scans or test for both my pregnancies. Me and hub always leave everything to e hands of the Al Mightily.
My #1 has no issues but my #2 has mosaic down syndrome. I was 30 when I was pregnant with her.
Turns out that she is just perfect as it is.
Of course the initial period was difficult but right now, I find parenting my boy more challenging. Haha.
For those who opt for test and results are not what you want,
Jia You!!!! Remember what ever it is, GOD knows best!!!
And yaaa if u need support can pm me too.
Best regards
Anisa

Hi mummies,
I didn't do any scans or test for both my pregnancies. Me and hub always leave everything to e hands of the Al Mightily.
My #1 has no issues but my #2 has mosaic down syndrome. I was 30 when I was pregnant with her.
Of course the initial period was difficult but right now, I find parenting my boy more challenging. Haha.
Best regards
Anisa

Thanks mummy for sharing your personal real life experience. It is very encouraging for all mummy who share similar situation with you. Jia you.

Been lurking on this forum past years and decided to recreate an ID and contribute.

At this point, perhaps having a healthy Down Syndrome child seems acceptable then a Down Syndrome child with a heart issue (which may/may not be healed). But which parent may guarantee a child's future?

Why would you keep a down syndrome child and if you were to abort it, would it be upon bad screening results or upon just a CVS (12W) or an Amniocentesis (16W) or after the 20W scan results as the pregnancy shows?

Hi PositiveLi,
Yes I agree that having a healthy child with DS seems more acceptable and "bearable" than one with DS and heart issues.

I have a child with DS. My third child. She is coming 5yo this year and she is one of the sweetest and loving person I know. I can't convince you why you would keep a child with DS, but I can share my personal stories with you (read www.simplylambchops.blogspot.com and look for posts on "all about K".

I didn't go for any screening, and when told that my foetus had no nasal bone during the detailed scan at 5months pregnancy, my husnand and I agreed to keep baby no matter what her diagnosis is.

If you would like to chat more about this topic, feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

Hi mummies,
Best regards
Anisa

Hey Anisa,
Are you the Anisa in the chatgroup Angels321?

We chose Harmony. Since we are paying, we don't want to go for Oscar which may give us half past 6 results (the methodology doesn't seem as scientific). If a more accurate test is available, just go for it. Otherwise, don't screen at all (and save the money) right? :)

We chose Harmony. Since we are paying, we don't want to go for Oscar which may give us half past 6 results (the methodology doesn't seem as scientific). If a more accurate test is available, just go for it. Otherwise, don't screen at all (and save the money) right? :)

Agree, that is what my husband and I thought too so we had Harmony also :)

Hello mummy Oscar is actually a very scientific method, the problem is that it accuracy level is only about 90%, but it is easily 2-3 time cheaper than the 99% accurate test like Harmony.

It is all about parent expectation i think. Let me give you an example, when you are studying, if you score 90% in any of your test, i think you will already be quite happy liao ya? 99% is pretty much just bonus. Cheers.

Hi 2016 moms-to-be, I am a first time expecting mom, my EDD is 24 Dec 2016. I have a question which I'll to seek all your guidance. My gynae is Dr Wendy Teo at Mount E Novena, at week 13 i was told that there r 2 testes for down syndrome available for testing which is either Oscars test which is 90% accurate costing $350 and another is Paranoma Test - 99% accurate and cost $1,200+$200+GST. Without hesitant of cos my partner said choose the more accurate test to do therefore I go ahead with the Paranoma Test the only reason y i prefer this test is also becos the result will tell u the gender of the baby as well.. Anyway i went back home n Google n realised that this test is mainly for pregnant mum who are 35 yrs old and above but I'm only 31 I'm wondering why did the Dr give me this option? Also anyone have done this test? Is the result accurate especially the gender part and also how long do i hv to wait for the result? I have 4 tubes of blood drawn on 20th June, the nurse said it was sent to US for test on 21st June. Approximately any idea when will I get the report? Just wondering is Paranoma necessary for mun to be below 35 yrs old.. ^.^

Last edited:
Hi 2016 moms-to-be, I am a first time expecting mom, my EDD is 23 Dec 2016. I have a question which I'll to seek all your guidance. My gynae is Dr Wendy Teo at Mount E Novena, at week 13 i was told that there r 2 testes for down syndrome available for testing which is either Oscars test which is 90% accurate costing $350 and another is Paranoma Test - 99% accurate and cost $1,200+$200+GST. Without hesitant of cos my partner said choose the more accurate test to do therefore I go ahead with the Paranoma Test the only reason y i prefer this test is also becos the result will tell u the gender of the baby as well.. Anyway i went back home n Google n realised that this test is mainly for pregnant mum who are 35 yrs old and above but I'm only 31 I'm wondering why did the Dr give me this option? Also anyone have done this test? Is the result accurate especially the gender part and also how long do i hv to wait for the result? I have 4 tubes of blood drawn on 20th June, the nurse said it was sent to US for test on 21st June. Approximately any idea when will I get the report? Just wondering is Paranoma necessary for mun to be below 35 yrs old.. ^.^

I asked my gynae and she told me the blood will be sent to US and will take 10 days to get the result.
I am also below 35, my gynae also gave me that paronoma test as an option. My hubby and I intend to take that as we feel 'safe'.

I asked my gynae and she told me the blood will be sent to US and will take 10 days to get the result.
I am also below 35, my gynae also gave me that paronoma test as an option. My hubby and I intend to take that as we feel 'safe'.
Thanks Wennyy for the response, ^.^ I read up some article that said the result might not be accurate so it is making me so confused and worried.. and reli wish I could get it on the 10th day.. i just called and asked the nurse she told me it's between 2 to 3 weeks.. :( hope it doesn't take so long..

Hi 2016 moms-to-be, I am a first time expecting mom, my EDD is 24 Dec 2016. I have a question which I'll to seek all your guidance. My gynae is Dr Wendy Teo at Mount E Novena, at week 13 i was told that there r 2 testes for down syndrome available for testing which is either Oscars test which is 90% accurate costing $350 and another is Paranoma Test - 99% accurate and cost $1,200+$200+GST. Without hesitant of cos my partner said choose the more accurate test to do therefore I go ahead with the Paranoma Test the only reason y i prefer this test is also becos the result will tell u the gender of the baby as well.. Anyway i went back home n Google n realised that this test is mainly for pregnant mum who are 35 yrs old and above but I'm only 31 I'm wondering why did the Dr give me this option? Also anyone have done this test? Is the result accurate especially the gender part and also how long do i hv to wait for the result? I have 4 tubes of blood drawn on 20th June, the nurse said it was sent to US for test on 21st June. Approximately any idea when will I get the report? Just wondering is Paranoma necessary for mun to be below 35 yrs old.. ^.^

Hello mummy,

Some doctor like to give their client full option to pick and choose. Result typically will take 2-3 week after you give blood. older mummy usually have higher risk of giving birth to down sydrome baby, they usually like to use the 35 yr old as the benchmark, but apart from mummy age, there are a lot a lot of factor that will increase the chance of down sydrome, since you have already sign up for it, dun think about it liao ya.

Focus on taking good care of yourself and enjoying your preggency.

Cheers

There are many ways you can choose to test the down syndrome for baby. As per the doctor's advice you can prefer the best.If you need the complete details about the places you can visit the best travel gallery. They will provide the complete details with proper route map.

Hi mummies!

Can i just check - those of you who went for the Panorama test - is there a need to not eat anything before the test? Or can we still take a normal breakfast?

Thanks! :)

Hi mummies!

Can i just check - those of you who went for the Panorama test - is there a need to not eat anything before the test? Or can we still take a normal breakfast?

Thanks! :)

Hello, I remember no special preparation is needed. Good to bring along your ah lao, then they can also give him a cotton bud to take some of his cheek tissue and send it along with your blood to do the test.

They say that this is optional and does not improve the accuracy and no surcharge. I bet the nurse also not sure why this is needed? My wild guess is to confirm whether the child belong to him?

cheers

Hi, I am damn sad... I received a call from the nurse this morning, she told me my result is out and low risk for all test but the gender is girl, I know this is silly but I really couldn't accept it all along way before I am pregnant I only wanted a Boy.. Now I am feeling so low, moodless, tired and crazy.. Very unhappy and still couldn't accept the result. Any idea will Paranoma test have any mistake in the result? I know this is silly but am really feeling extremely down. :( Just couldn't control myself from feeling so..

Hi, I am damn sad... I received a call from the nurse this morning, she told me my result is out and low risk for all test but the gender is girl, I know this is silly but I really couldn't accept it all along way before I am pregnant I only wanted a Boy.. Now I am feeling so low, moodless, tired and crazy.. Very unhappy and still couldn't accept the result. Any idea will Paranoma test have any mistake in the result? I know this is silly but am really feeling extremely down. :( Just couldn't control myself from feeling so..
Hi ElroyChang,
What you're feeling is just momentary. Boy or girl is a bonus and gift from the above.
What if the result had shown some growth abnormalities instead? But instead, you're one of the lucky ones who is blessed with a healthy baby. If you think this way, you will be grateful for your healthy baby girl who has been chosen and sent to you :)

Hello mummy,

Chances of Paranoma test result wrong is very very slim. (This is why you paid so much for this blood test). I am sorry to inform you that.

But frankly speaking baby girl is quite good. Let me give you just 3 pointers, there are a lot more but I am too lazy to type and I am sure a lot of mummy out here will be happy to share more.

1) Baby girl tends to learn things/ speak faster than boys

2) During diaper change, there is zero chance that you will get a mouthful of golden shower

3) There are thousand of interesting & pretty things design for girl, you will have a super fun time dolling her up. Boy stuff are quite boring, t shirt and shorts, pant. You just see your own waredrobe vs your ah lao waredrobe you will know what I mean liao.

Last but not least, I suggest you focus and rejoice on the result is low risk, I can tell you for a matter of fact that a lot of parent will gladly accept any gender just to receive a low risk result that you have.

Jia you.

Shouldn't have such thinking...boy or girl doesn't matter as long it is healthy isn't it? And it is still your own blood. Can always try for boy next round:)

Back